Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Origin Accounts Hijacked?

Eurogamer reports that account holders on EA's Origin service are receiving emails confirming they have successfully changed passwords and/or email accounts, in spite have not making any such request. They say this has affected one of their own, Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter, and point to a thread on NeoGAF with similar stories. They also show an indication this may be originating from somewhere in Russia, and say they have contacted EA for a response.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 12:00 Axis

Glad to be in the "Don't give a shit" dept. When I say something I mean it - never used it, never will.  

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 12:00 Cutter

In Soviet Union Prez would be Premier.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

16. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 11:43 eRe4s3r

Yeah but if someone could compromise email why only go for Origin? Seems a bit like breaking into a bank vault to steal a pencil. Maybe they have a way to somehow skip the reset thingy by just crunching the PW directly.

I did not get a "Email Changed" email. But if you know Origin you know that if you have the current password you can change EVERYTHING without email confirmation. EA's account security does not work when you are logged in. And changing email, then requesting reset means ...

You get an email your email has changed. You try to login = Fails. because username = email. So the hackers don't even need to hack your PW, they just need to somehow login once.

15. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 11:34 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 10:08:
This happened weeks ago already and has apparently been going on ever since.

Has nothing to do with the password. It seems a bot that goes through all Origin ID's and somehow automatically requests password resets but for what reason I don't know, since the email still goes to a secure place.

All it does is you get an email with an change-code. If you ignore it, nothing changes.

A likely scenario is a that once the bot sends out the requests for a password change, automated software scans a database of compromised e-mail accounts for the specific e-mail from Origin and then those Origin accounts are taken over.

14. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 11:14 Prez

Verno wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 11:02:
Sounds like the Russians figured out some loophole in the account process. Oh well, I'm sure EA will get it fixed up. Security problems in the gaming industry aren't exactly unique to them.

In Soviet Russia, Blue bans you!

I keed, I keed!

ARRGGHH!!!!! Steamingmad

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 11:08 eRe4s3r

I think given this is Origin, we could call it a bug Because I got the same email (your password has changed) and like 1second after I received it I logged into Origin with the.. old PW and requested a change which worked fine.

So I think these emails are simply broken.

Notice how many "I think" there are, because I don't know. When I got the email I was pretty shocked but I have unique PW's for everything (lastpass ftw) And despite email saying PW changed it did not actually change (needless to say I changed it though).

Maybe I simply broke the "hijack" attempt by changing it literally 20 seconds after receiving the request. But something seriously fucked is going on with Origin lately. This happened like a month ago to me... maybe now the hack was perfected?

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2012, 11:23.

12. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 11:02 Verno

Sounds like the Russians figured out some loophole in the account process. Oh well, I'm sure EA will get it fixed up. Security problems in the gaming industry aren't exactly unique to them.

In Soviet Russia, Blue bans you!

I keed, I keed!

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

11. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 11:00 Prez

nin wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 10:35:
They also show an indication this may be originating from somewhere in Russia

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, EA ORIGINS YOU!

I am going to get Blue to ban "IN SOVIET RUSSIA..." jokes if it's the last thing I do goddamit!!!!! Shakefist

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 10:57 Shok

I thought about installing Origin once, glad that feeling was over quick. Whew!  

9. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 10:56 InBlack

Well at least they arent blaming the Taliban....yet.

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 10:53 Techie714 ©

LOL!!!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

7. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 10:35 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 10:27 InBlack

Hahhaha Origin. Hahahahah. Hooray! for your always on secure DRM scheme/bullshit monopoly store.  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 10:25 John

It's just EA being EA...

This space is available for rent

4. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 10:21 RailWizard

Happened once or twice to me, but not for many months. It is buggy as shit though, my current problem with it is even if you click "remember password" it just refuses too. Not a huge deal, but it's still pretty 'wtf'....

Also since this is a EA issue, Battlefield BC2 login(on steam) no longer works either for me. Saw a bunch of work arounds, none of which worked. People are still playing, but I know there is a retail version that doesn't use steam.....so dunno wtf is up there either, I just ended up uninstalling it.

3. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 10:20 Prez

What I'm getting is that you know you are in trouble if you get an email saying your password was successfully changed. That's weird, because before that you ought to be getting an email that confirms you are the one who initiated the password reset and a hyperlink to follow in order to do so. How are they getting the second one but not the first I wonder.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 10:08 eRe4s3r

This happened weeks ago already and has apparently been going on ever since.

Has nothing to do with the password. It seems a bot that goes through all Origin ID's and somehow automatically requests password resets but for what reason I don't know, since the email still goes to a secure place.

All it does is you get an email with an change-code. If you ignore it, nothing changes.

1. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 09:51 theyarecomingforyou

Usually this occurs when people use the same password for multiple websites and services, as once one of them is compromised - and that happens all too frequently - it's just a case of using those login details for other common services. It would be pretty worrying if this was a direct hack on the Origin servers.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo