Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Following the power cutting on and off with the recent storms, I decided it was finally time to replace my UPS, as its battery had reached the point where my machine would go to sleep after even slight power dips. I found a big 1500VA unit at Best Buy for $139, and while it turned out it was mismarked, they agreed to charge me that instead of the proper $209 since it was their mistake. Nice, right? We then stopped on our way home at Marshalls to see what sort of bargains they had there and I found a Le Creuset crock for holding spoons and such for all of $12.99, but the blue one I wanted had no price tag. I told them the price up front, but they insisted on a price check, and ended up charging me the $7.99 listed on a cheaper crock. So it seems yesterday I was surrounded by some sort of magic forty-something percent discount field... Too bad I wasn't in a position to buy some resalable commodity and profit wildly from this.

Discount Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Evilgeddon: Spooky Max.
Links: I am Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails and How to destroy angels. AMA. Thanks nin.
Stories: Janeane Garofalo Unwittingly Married for 20 Years.
Airlines Face Acute Shortage of Pilots. Thanks Slashdot.
Don't Even Think of Eating at Guy Fieri's New Times Square Restaurant.
Science: Rare complete solar eclipse captured on film in Australia.
Man in coma uses his thoughts to tell doctors, 'I'm not in pain'.
The eyeball in this guy's sink is one of the best optical illusions we've seen in ages.
Media: Disney Princess Leia - Star Wars Disney Princesses.
World War Z with Pee-wee Voices and PEE WEEs Big Inception.
All Time 10s: Common Science Myths. Incorrect corrections? I know #3 is false.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Which UPS? Nov 15, 2012, 10:45 Ant

Blue wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 10:30:
Ant wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 09:05:
Blue wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 08:36:
Ant wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 01:30:
No trade in or battery replacement?

It is an APC BX-1500G. I have retained the old one to see if it can be fitted with a new battery and put to use, but I wanted a larger unit anyway.
Ahh, I recently got an APC Back-UPS XS 1500 (model: BX1500G; 865 watts). I am addicted to its on screen status like its real-time power watts (reminds me of KITT)!

I think we have the same models.
Rad. Which UPS did you have before? I had a seven years old APC Back-UPS XS BX1500.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Which UPS? Nov 15, 2012, 10:30  Blue 

Ant wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 09:05:

It is an APC BX-1500G. I have retained the old one to see if it can be fitted with a new battery and put to use, but I wanted a larger unit anyway.
Ahh, I recently got an APC Back-UPS XS 1500 (model: BX1500G; 865 watts). I am addicted to its on screen status like its real-time power watts (reminds me of KITT)!

I think we have the same models.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

26. Re: Which UPS? Nov 15, 2012, 09:05 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: Which UPS? Nov 15, 2012, 08:36  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

24. Re: Science Myths Nov 15, 2012, 06:11 Bet

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 18:44:
Beamer wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 16:05:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 15:46:
#3 is actually what they say. Glass is not a true solid, rather an amorphous solid. I learned that in science in 10th grade, and a year ago again in college. Also, a quick Google will confirm.

Yeah, but it has two main flaws. One, it says "glass isn't a solid," then says "glass is an amorphous solid." That's like saying "Doom isn't a video game, it's a first person video game."

Secondly, it claims stained glass is thicker on the bottom due to flow. It isn't. Glass doesn't flow. It's due to manufacturing decisions.

Ah, yeah, I watched it twice and still missed the part where they said it flows. Yeah, that part is definitely not true.

Another term I love: Glass reinforced polymer. I know what it is, but calling it that makes my head spin. Different Glass reinforced glass might be closer to what it really is.
Science rules! (Fun discussion)

23. Which UPS? Nov 15, 2012, 01:30 Ant

22. Re: Science Myths Nov 14, 2012, 18:44 Agent.X7

Beamer wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 16:05:
#3 is actually what they say. Glass is not a true solid, rather an amorphous solid. I learned that in science in 10th grade, and a year ago again in college. Also, a quick Google will confirm.

Yeah, but it has two main flaws. One, it says "glass isn't a solid," then says "glass is an amorphous solid." That's like saying "Doom isn't a video game, it's a first person video game."

Secondly, it claims stained glass is thicker on the bottom due to flow. It isn't. Glass doesn't flow. It's due to manufacturing decisions.

Ah, yeah, I watched it twice and still missed the part where they said it flows. Yeah, that part is definitely not true.

Another term I love: Glass reinforced polymer. I know what it is, but calling it that makes my head spin. Different Glass reinforced glass might be closer to what it really is.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2012, 16:58 sauron

Blue wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 11:22:
...I can understand the decision to end it rather than starting to re-hash old topics...

I'm guessing that would be corned beef re-hash, with it being Food Network and all.

Kittens!

20. Re: Science Myths Nov 14, 2012, 16:14 mag

Glass is an amorphous solid, but it does not flow over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass#Behavior_of_antique_glass

19. Re: Science Myths Nov 14, 2012, 16:05 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Science Myths Nov 14, 2012, 15:46 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2012, 15:32 The Half Elf

I always figured that the best Chef's were the fat Chef's? Obviously they are eating well....

*still can't cook for shit*

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2012, 15:10 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:57:
Heh, she's supposedly a real sweetheart but her son Joe is a different story. The guy knows his wine however. If you want to learn it he wrote the the book on it Vino Italiano, excellent stuff. Yeah, Rick Bayless is weird though. However we have virtually no latin food up here - and what there is isn't very good - so his show is the closest I get to it outside of trips to the US.
I treat my TV chefs like championship wrestlers. Some you root for and others you hate for no particular good reason. I like Chris Kimble but his lips freak me out. Ever take a good look at them? Oversized but flat against his mouth like a wrinkled octopus sucker. Joanne Weir dreams up her recipes off the top of her head and they are always shi shi nouveau fusion gross. She puts arugula on EVERYTHING. I thought I'd tune in and see her take on pizza. Guess what she put on it? Then there's her magic marker smeared on Norma Desmond eyebrows. How can I trust anybody's recipes who looks like that? The only cook I can't find some flaw with is Jacques Pepin who always seems like such a genuine nice guy, though I almost never try any of his recipes.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2012, 14:57 Cutter

Ratty wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:52:
Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 12:23:
Jose Andreas: Made in Spain, Two Greedy Italians, Rick Bayless' Mexico, Lidia Bastinich, et al. Two Greedy Italians and Jose Andreas are definitely my faves atm.
Bayless seems like a weirdo, Lidia is just plain evil looking with her creepy arched eyebrows and butch haircut, and her hulking mafioso son scares me whenever he lumbers onto her show. I bet she beats her crew, I just bet you she does.

Heh, she's supposedly a real sweetheart but her son Joe is a different story. The guy knows his wine however. If you want to learn it he wrote the the book on it Vino Italiano, excellent stuff. Yeah, Rick Bayless is weird though. However we have virtually no latin food up here - and what there is isn't very good - so his show is the closest I get to it outside of trips to the US.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2012, 14:52 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 12:23:
Jose Andreas: Made in Spain, Two Greedy Italians, Rick Bayless' Mexico, Lidia Bastinich, et al. Two Greedy Italians and Jose Andreas are definitely my faves atm.
Bayless seems like a weirdo, Lidia is just plain evil looking with her creepy arched eyebrows and butch haircut, and her hulking mafioso son scares me whenever he lumbers onto her show. I bet she beats her crew, I just bet you she does.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2012, 13:43 Hoop

Man in coma uses his thoughts to tell doctors, ĎIím not in painí

Married men though, totally different story.

Um .. Behind you...

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2012, 13:08 PropheT

I mostly just watch Giada's show, and that's only if she's wearing something that shows cleavage.

I know, I'm such a philistine

It's nearly impossible to buy the ingredients they use where I live. Hell, you have to drive 35 miles from here and likely shop multiple places to even buy something like pastrami.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2012, 12:39 PHJF

I can understand the decision to end it rather than starting to re-hash old topics or drift into more and more obscurity.

Dude, it's food. It's literally impossible to run out of material, especially given the depth to which AB routinely examined topics. He had an entire episode dedicated to salt, after all (it always bugged me him specifying kosher salt 99.9% of the time, cmon man, it's preference... AND SOME OF US LIKE IODINE).

Matter of fact I'm gonna be using his mashed potatoes next week, and I'm leaning toward making another (godlike) tres leches come xmas.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2012, 12:23 Cutter

Ratty wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 11:04:
Love the Guy Fieri review. The guy always seemed to drip douchebag. I love to watch cooking shows but most TV chefs rub me the wrong way. Can't stand Bobby Flay, or any of the Food Network chefs (now that Alton Brown is gone). But I do love many of the PBS chefs: Pepin, Kimball, Julia of course.

I like Guy and triple DDD it's actually the only thing I'll watch on Food anymore. That channel just sucks. A million good chefs in the world and all they can do is show the sames ones all the time in different shows. It's pathetic and incestously creepy. And Bitchin Kitchen is just beyond irritating, Blue. I don't understand how anyone can watch it.

And yeah, I'm with Ratty, I watch PBS chefs all the time - as well as just watching PBS in general anyway. We also have a local Italian channel here which has great cooking shows I can't seem to see anywhere else as well - Jose Andreas: Made in Spain, Two Greedy Italians, Rick Bayless' Mexico, Lidia Bastinich, et al. Two Greedy Italians and Jose Andreas are definitely my faves atm.

9. Re: Man in Coma Nov 14, 2012, 12:16 Cutter

InBlack wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 09:59:
That article about the Dude in the Coma is some seriously bad journalistic writing. I dont think Ive seen a Science article that bad in a looooong time. There is virtually no information there about HOW they actually communicated with this Dude let alone TRANSLATED his thoughts into "Im Not in Pain". For all we know he is screaming inside his skull....

Agreed. Not only does it sound like complete BS it sounds downright fucking cruel. How is being trapped in your head with no way out preferential to dying? Jesus, this is like something out of a horror flick. DNR for me! Fuck, OD me on morphine if you have to. Anything but that. Life at any cost? And as always that sort of shit always comes back to religious brainwashing.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo