Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013

The StarCraft II Website announces that the release date for the Heart of the Swarm expansion for StarCraft 2 is now set as March 12, 2013, this news coming just a week after the news that the RTS add-on is due in the first half of next year. In the meantime, a StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Presale FAQ has details on the content of a planned Digital Deluxe edition, which will include bonuses for other Blizzard titles. Here's what this will include:

The Digital Deluxe version of includes a digital copy of the expansion along with the following exclusive in-game bonus items for StarCraft II, World of Warcraft®, and Diablo® III:

• Three StarCraft II Swarm-themed Battle.net portraits
  • StarCraft II Zerg Ultralisk “Torrasque” skin
  • World of Warcraft Baneling Battle Pet
  • Diablo III “Blade Wings” item – Queen of Blades-styled wings for Diablo III heroes
  • Diablo III Zerg banner sigil

Players who purchase the Digital Deluxe edition will receive their World of Warcraft and Diablo III in-game bonus items immediately. The StarCraft II bonuses will not be available until Heart of the Swarm is released.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

61. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 16, 2012, 19:32 Optional Nickname!

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 03:24:
Dev wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 04:15:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 23:09:
It's the same reason STEAM has 40 million mouthbreathers using it.
Valve has their problems, but they are a FAR cry from actiblizz.

You CAN play steam games offline. You do NOT have to be online first to go offline.

Yes but you shouldn't need a token or even to get permission it adds an extra unnecessary step and IS still douchebag thing to do to people who BUY your games. It's still gabe giving gamers the middle finger with sugar on top, gamers pay but get shit on in return and gabe gets free profits for being allowed to datamine you. Have you read their new terms of service? "You have no rights" it basically says. LOL. Gabe is not anyones friend he's out for himself.

Also if your token gets corrupted or out-dated you can't play many of your games, many games have hidden steam drm features that don't show up if you haven't been online in a while or you disconnect from steam 'improperly' you get "you need to connect to the internet".

I've added Suppa7 to the small (but growing) list of Cutters who *know* what to post to Bluesnews. But Steam gives me the games I want to play, the Berks reply, What in all of Sigil is wrong with that?

I believe the popularity and current success of Kickstarter in showcasing Suppa7 and other's similar game positions such as no unfriendly DRM, player oriented game-play, no monetization of the virtual playing universe and respect towards time tested franchises all without Steam, gives much weight to the "I can have a superior gaming experience without Steam" complaint.

Notice how I used the word complaint. Steam could be better, but Gabe Newell refuses any improvement with the above mentioned aspects.

N.B.: No Steam employees or marketing affiliates or relations allowed to reply without disclosure, ever. So there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 15, 2012, 09:50 Verno

I never asked Gabe to be my buddy so I am fine with that arrangement. All I want are videogames that are reasonably accessible at fair prices and ongoing access to my library. All of the other features are just gravy. So far Valve hasn't let me down.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

59. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 15, 2012, 03:24 Suppa7

Dev wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 04:15:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 23:09:
It's the same reason STEAM has 40 million mouthbreathers using it.
Valve has their problems, but they are a FAR cry from actiblizz.

You CAN play steam games offline. You do NOT have to be online first to go offline.

Yes but you shouldn't need a token or even to get permission it adds an extra unnecessary step and IS still douchebag thing to do to people who BUY your games. It's still gabe giving gamers the middle finger with sugar on top, gamers pay but get shit on in return and gabe gets free profits for being allowed to datamine you. Have you read their new terms of service? "You have no rights" it basically says. LOL. Gabe is not anyones friend he's out for himself.

Also if your token gets corrupted or out-dated you can't play many of your games, many games have hidden steam drm features that don't show up if you haven't been online in a while or you disconnect from steam 'improperly' you get "you need to connect to the internet".

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2012, 03:32.

58. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 15, 2012, 03:18 Suppa7

I can't wait for more online locked down DRM'd SC2... yum.  

57. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 18:02 Creston

Prez wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:34:
Ummm... well... most of the missions were fine. I guess I should have said I hated the ones where I felt rushed. The other one I really hated was the one you mentioned where I was in a resource race with some other sombitch. The rest I remember liking ot loving, though I probably forgot one or two.

The one where there was a night and day cycle with zombies was technically timed, but I thought it was awesome. Stop listening to what I say and pay attention to what I mean. Or something.

I hated that zombie one too. I hate most every map that tells me how to play it. Just give me a map and an enemy to wipe out, I'll figure out the rest. And I don't mind a few side goals thrown in there. But if it literally starts going "Okay, NOW you defend! And NOW you can rush for resources! Hurry hurry hurry hurry DEFEND AGAIN!!!" that just irritates the living fuck out of me.

So yeah, I thought SC2 was an excercise in gimmicky RTS bullshit. I'll bet they have several maps in the next one where you constantly have to move all your forces, base included, to new areas to "keep up with the brood" or some stupid crap like that.

Anyway, I hated about 19 of the 22 missions in SC2.

Creston

56. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 16:12 Smellfinger

InBlack wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 06:38:
The point of my original post was to illustrate how far Blizzard has fallen. I own all of their games to date (apart from the expansions to World of Warcraft). I am now WILLING to pirate their shit even though I dont bother pirating shit anymore.

Im definitely not BUYING another Blizzard game after the slap in the face that was Diablo3, not unless they change their ways but I dont see that happening ever. I actually liked SC2 at least for the single-player and the story, and was looking forward to the expansions but I refuse to give them my money anymore.

A lot of people pirate shit but they feign righteous indignation if you mention it on a video game forum.

55. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 14:34 Prez

Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 14:13:
Prez wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 10:05:
I only hated the missions that were timed, like the one where the world would flood with lava every few minutes. I don't like being rushed - it takes me a while to strategize and it's hard for me to play strategically when I am rushed.

You ONLY hated the ones that were timed? You're aware that like 19 out of the 22 missions were timed, right? Not all of them had a clock running, but in almost every map there was some gimmick that was limiting the time you could spend in it or how/where you built a base.

The lava one was one. Then there was one where you had to "grab five shrines before the enemy does." Then there was one where a mining laser is shooting down doors, and it inexorably counts down to the point where the mission ends. And there were quite a few more things like that.

All the timed bullshit is what really got me about SC2. Every map felt like a fucking gimmick.

Creston

Ummm... well... most of the missions were fine. I guess I should have said I hated the ones where I felt rushed. The other one I really hated was the one you mentioned where I was in a resource race with some other sombitch. The rest I remember liking ot loving, though I probably forgot one or two.

The one where there was a night and day cycle with zombies was technically timed, but I thought it was awesome. Stop listening to what I say and pay attention to what I mean. Or something.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

54. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 14:14 Creston

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 01:41:
Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 00:31:
That many? Source?

Creston

Yeah I was a little surprised too when I heard it. I remembered reading that figure a little while ago so I went to wiki for the comparisons I listed here and their source is the report I remember reading (here)
-which itself comes straight from the horse's mouth, a Blizzard earnings report.

Dang, that's impressive. So yeah, everyone who bought a copy, please shut up about always-on DRM, as you've amply demonstrated to publishers that you WILL put up with this kind of horseshit.

Anyway, thanks for the linkies!

Creston

53. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 14:13 Creston

I only hated the missions that were timed, like the one where the world would flood with lava every few minutes. I don't like being rushed - it takes me a while to strategize and it's hard for me to play strategically when I am rushed.

You ONLY hated the ones that were timed? You're aware that like 19 out of the 22 missions were timed, right? Not all of them had a clock running, but in almost every map there was some gimmick that was limiting the time you could spend in it or how/where you built a base.

The lava one was one. Then there was one where you had to "grab five shrines before the enemy does." Then there was one where a mining laser is shooting down doors, and it inexorably counts down to the point where the mission ends. And there were quite a few more things like that.

All the timed bullshit is what really got me about SC2. Every map felt like a fucking gimmick.

Creston

52. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 11:03 Mr. Tact

Your turn to not read I guess? You said are punishing yourself (not playing the expansion of a game you liked) in an attempt hurt a game which we both know will be a large success.

Do you really think that even if large amounts of people didn't buy Heart of the Swarm because of what Blizzard did with D3, that Blizzard would even realize why it happened? Or care if they did? In either case, I don't think they would. And it's all moot, because it will sell.

Listen, I'm with you on disliking what they did with D3. I didn't buy it. First Blizzard game in a long time that I didn't. But if they make something I know I'm going to like. I'm going to buy it. I'm not going to punish myself for their failings.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2012, 11:10.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

51. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 10:50 InBlack

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 10:01:
Yes, I did ignore your pledge to not buy "another Blizzard game after the slap in the face that was Diablo3, not unless they change their ways". I was attempting to make you realize how silly that pledge was when you also claimed you liked SC2.

I'm guessing I was supposed to realize you were punishing yourself to teach Blizzard a lesson. So noble of you. I'm sure they'll be deeply hurt.

Because NOT giving money to greedy corporations doesnt really count? I mean its drop in the ocean? Right? Its because of this kind of typical gamer's attitude that Blizzard (and the myrad other developers beforehand) stopped making masterpieces and started making cash cows. In any case its the principle that counts, if you subscribe to such 'esoteric' ways of thinking...

I have a nifty blue line!

50. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 10:29 Prez

I don't recall the decisions being very meaningful in terms of impact but it's been awhile so my memory is foggy.

it's been a while for me too - the two I remember were the one where you spared the infected human scientists or killed them, and the one where you saved either the dreadlocked Ghost guy or some other ghost-y chick.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

49. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 10:19 Verno

I really liked the singleplayer in Starcraft 2 myself despite the handholding - I thought it was a great campaign with a great story and awesome CGI. It even had a few meaningful decision points, which was nice.

To each his own I guess, I found the campaign pretty long but average overall and got really annoyed at the constant handholding. I thought the story was predictable but that's just background for me anyway. CGI just doesn't wow me anymore, I see too much of it in movies and etc now. I don't recall the decisions being very meaningful in terms of impact but it's been awhile so my memory is foggy.

I really don't get the rampant dislike of the sequel from people who liked the original. Too same-y maybe? I only hated the missions that were timed, like the one where the world would flood with lava every few minutes. I don't like being rushed - it takes me a while to strategize and it's hard for me to play strategically when I am rushed.

I think it's that sequel catch-22 thing where people say they just want the original updated with better graphics but really do expect some innovation or at least original additions. SC2 was pretty samey although to be fair to Blizzard they never advertised it as groundbreaking. I think some people were expecting a transition to something new in the way that War2->War3 was and I don't think thats necessarily unreasonable in some respects.

48. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 10:05 Prez

Verno wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 09:32:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 08:43:
Yeah, why should you pay a portion of the original price for just as much single player content?! CRAZY! Rolleyes

Has that been confirmed yet? Also length isn't everything, it felt like more than half of the SC2 campaign was glorified tutorials. I thought overall it was fun but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for more.

I really liked the singleplayer in Starcraft 2 myself despite the handholding - I thought it was a great campaign with a great story and awesome CGI. It even had a few meaningful decision points, which was nice. I really don't get the rampant dislike of the sequel from people who liked the original. Too same-y maybe? I only hated the missions that were timed, like the one where the world would flood with lava every few minutes. I don't like being rushed - it takes me a while to strategize and it's hard for me to play strategically when I am rushed.

I think 40 bucks is inline with a Starcraft expansion, since that's what Brood War cost. My biggest problem is the length of time between campaigns. I wanted more Starcraft 2 a year ago - I've sort of moved on in the interim and am not nearly as excited for more as I was back then.

- Mahatma Gandhi

47. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 10:01 Mr. Tact

Yes, I did ignore your pledge to not buy "another Blizzard game after the slap in the face that was Diablo3, not unless they change their ways". I was attempting to make you realize how silly that pledge was when you also claimed you liked SC2.

I'm guessing I was supposed to realize you were punishing yourself to teach Blizzard a lesson. So noble of you. I'm sure they'll be deeply hurt.

46. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 09:49 InBlack

I actually liked SC2 at least for the single-player and the story, and was looking forward to the expansions but I refuse to give them my money anymore.
Yeah, why should you pay a portion of the original price for just as much single player content?! CRAZY! Rolleyes

Yeah, why should you read before you post, I mean CRAZY?! Rolleyes2

45. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 09:37 Mr. Tact

Confirmed? *shrug* But it certainly has always been the intention.  

44. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 09:32 Verno

Has that been confirmed yet? Also length isn't everything, it felt like more than half of the SC2 campaign was glorified tutorials. I thought overall it was fun but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for more.

43. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 08:43 Mr. Tact

I actually liked SC2 at least for the single-player and the story, and was looking forward to the expansions but I refuse to give them my money anymore.

42. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 14, 2012, 06:38 InBlack

The point of my original post was to illustrate how far Blizzard has fallen. I own all of their games to date (apart from the expansions to World of Warcraft). I am now WILLING to pirate their shit even though I dont bother pirating shit anymore.

Im definitely not BUYING another Blizzard game after the slap in the face that was Diablo3, not unless they change their ways but I dont see that happening ever. I actually liked SC2 at least for the single-player and the story, and was looking forward to the expansions but I refuse to give them my money anymore.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo