Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013

The StarCraft II Website announces that the release date for the Heart of the Swarm expansion for StarCraft 2 is now set as March 12, 2013, this news coming just a week after the news that the RTS add-on is due in the first half of next year. In the meantime, a StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Presale FAQ has details on the content of a planned Digital Deluxe edition, which will include bonuses for other Blizzard titles. Here's what this will include:

The Digital Deluxe version of includes a digital copy of the expansion along with the following exclusive in-game bonus items for StarCraft II, World of Warcraft®, and Diablo® III:

• Three StarCraft II Swarm-themed Battle.net portraits
  • StarCraft II Zerg Ultralisk “Torrasque” skin
  • World of Warcraft Baneling Battle Pet
  • Diablo III “Blade Wings” item – Queen of Blades-styled wings for Diablo III heroes
  • Diablo III Zerg banner sigil

Players who purchase the Digital Deluxe edition will receive their World of Warcraft and Diablo III in-game bonus items immediately. The StarCraft II bonuses will not be available until Heart of the Swarm is released.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 15:36 eunichron

Flatline wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 15:13:
Optional nickname wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 15:06:
What happened to the installments of this SC2 game that were supposed to come out yearly, as opposed to triyea-rly? I mean rly? don't matter, Diablo 3 welded shut the coffin on Blizzard, rip, thanks for the gaming memories, no re.

Blizzard has so much operating capital that they just say "whenever the f*ck it's done it's done". Which sounds awesome, but without any kind of enforced discipline, projects that should have a yearly turnover take 3 years. The only thing I can surmise is that the project leads have absolutely no sense of discipline.

The real problem is that Blizzard's mantra of "whenever the fuck it's done" used to mean that we would get an awesome quality product on launch day, that would then be improved via expansion packs. Since WoW and Diablo 3, and to a lesser extent SC2 (I like SC2's campaign, and played mp quite a bit when I had time for it; I haven't decided yet if I'm going to buy HotS day 1), "Whenever the fuck it's done" has turned into, "Let's see how many extraneous features we can add that don't add to the gameplay."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 15:13 Flatline

Optional nickname wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 15:06:
What happened to the installments of this SC2 game that were supposed to come out yearly, as opposed to triyea-rly? I mean rly? don't matter, Diablo 3 welded shut the coffin on Blizzard, rip, thanks for the gaming memories, no re.

Blizzard has so much operating capital that they just say "whenever the f*ck it's done it's done". Which sounds awesome, but without any kind of enforced discipline, projects that should have a yearly turnover take 3 years. The only thing I can surmise is that the project leads have absolutely no sense of discipline.

19. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 15:06 Optional nickname

18. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 14:53 Flatline

After the nearly 3 years it's taken them to make a mission pack with half a dozen new units, this expansion needs to fondle my nuts or something to be worth the price and the wait.

The thing that amuses me the most is that they spent probably 2 years "polishing" the game and adjusting the balance, and 90% of that balance is going to go right out the window in the first 90 days of patching as the rest of the world gets to play.

17. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 14:43 Verno

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 13:01:
Verno wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 11:04:
Err ok, piracy out of spite is really silly but whatever.

No it's not after DRM for D3 and starcraft 2, plus NO LAN. Spite is justified especially when you pay for a product now you're paying to rent a game instead of own it, it's bullshit.

Not to mention this is a company that charges you to buy PETS in world of warcraft - A GAME YOU PAY MONTHLY FOR. You think you'd get pets for free for paying a subscription. That is called fucking exploitation my friend. Acti-blizzard deserves to be burned to the ground, too bad most gamers are addicts and hypocrits.

You just feed back into it, adding to their justifications, piracy stats, giving the game mindshare and attention. The best way to treat games you like is total ignorance of their existence. It hurts a publisher a lot more in the long run than you grabbing a torrent IMHO. Oh well, do what you feel man!

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

16. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 14:39 eRe4s3r

From what I can tell 2/3 are about watching it on youtube and 1/3 about pirating it because XYZ ;p

.. How things change 2 years ago it was 99% DRM hehe

15. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 14:30 Creston

You know things have gotten bad for Blizzard when an announcement for their next game draws 1/3rd the comments of Yet Another Call of Duty thing.

As for SC, I have zero interest in this after the terribly poor first installment.

Creston

14. Good let's plays are better than bad games. Nov 13, 2012, 13:44 eRe4s3r

This is what I do nowadays as well, I can't be arsed to play games with good story and some cutscenes but little good gameplay apart that. I watched Halo 4 with a great let's play audio comment .. was very fun ... and the game was extremely short too...

I honestly think Let's plays are going to be illegal soon or at least cracked down upon. Because I can't imagine I am the only one who watches (crap) SP games on youtube, rather than buy and play them, why even PIRATE them when you can just watch the story on youtube, and eat popcorn and drink whatever you drink while at it? You can chill and have a good time for free. The sad thing is, the more a game SP campaign is just Hollywood crap or generally interactive movie the better it works (Black ops 2, Warfighter, BF3 SP ! Halo 4, Heavy Rain etc.) Where the gameplay is literally the same for everyone.

And where it's extremely short to boot.

13. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 13:04 Suppa7

InBlack wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 10:54:
Im probably going to skip this. Just for spite. I might even pirate it, depending on whether I want to check the story out or not at the time. Fuck Blizzard.

Just watch the singleplayer campaign playthroughs and cutscenes on youtube. Playing a single player RTS when there's been nothing changed significantly in terms of mechanics is just boring. SC2's singleplayer was just bad, they had no idea where to take it and just used gimmicks. Cut-scenes were nice, story felt like it was taking place in an alternate starcraft universe not connected to SC1. The people really did matter to starcraft 1, these new developers lost the feel of the starcraft universe. They also ret-conned a bunch of stuff from SC1's story making it pretty fucked up.

12. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 13:01 Suppa7

Verno wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 11:04:
Err ok, piracy out of spite is really silly but whatever.

No it's not after DRM for D3 and starcraft 2, plus NO LAN. Spite is justified especially when you pay for a product now you're paying to rent a game instead of own it, it's bullshit.

Not to mention this is a company that charges you to buy PETS in world of warcraft - A GAME YOU PAY MONTHLY FOR. You think you'd get pets for free for paying a subscription. That is called fucking exploitation my friend. Acti-blizzard deserves to be burned to the ground, too bad most gamers are addicts and hypocrits.

11. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 12:58 Suppa7

J wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 12:35:
I bought the original Starcraft maybe two or three times altogether. Haven't touched Starcraft 2 and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Starcraft 2 was the most underwhelming sequel of all time I'd say, it was basically SC1 with a worse story. The e-sports killed any attempt to move RTS genre forward. When SC1 released it was fucking groundbreaking stuff. The old blizzard used to break new ground and create revolution.

10. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 12:51 John

Prez wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 12:39:
At least watch the cgi movies on youtube - they are astounding.
Yeah, they should just make a CGI movie about the Starcraft universe for theaters.

This space is available for rent

9. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 12:39 Prez

At least watch the cgi movies on youtube - they are astounding.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 12:35 J

I bought the original Starcraft maybe two or three times altogether. Haven't touched Starcraft 2 and don't feel like I'm missing anything.  

7. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 12:33 Ceribaen

I'll continue skipping this until it's a complete game packaged together at an appropriate price rather than 1/3 of the game at individual game prices.  

6. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 12:20 edaciousx

I am absolutely not skipping this game. I want it for the single player, multiplayer perhaps. It was fun owning people on classic 2v2 modes.  

5. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 11:40 NegaDeath

I think I'll skip this, all I ever did with it was story mode and comp stomps with a buddy.  

4. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 11:39 Prez

The mod scene was a major disappointment (doesn't it have a 25MB limit or something like that?) but I thought the singleplayer game of Starcraft 2 was great. And those movies! I can see getting the first expansion despite Blizzard's recent jumping on the stupid wagon - as long as the game has a guest offline mode.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 11:04 Verno

InBlack wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 10:54:
Im probably going to skip this. Just for spite. I might even pirate it, depending on whether I want to check the story out or not at the time. Fuck Blizzard.

Err ok, piracy out of spite is really silly but whatever. Personally I'm going to skip it simply because I didn't really enjoy SC2 that much. Even the SP stuff felt really weird because half of the game was essentially tutorials and I rarely felt like I got to bring everything to bear until the very end.

The custom mapping community just doesn't seem there compared to War3, not sure why. The vanilla MP takes too much time/commitment to get good at unfortunately as well so I'm left with few reasons to purchase it.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

2. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 10:55 nin

Damn, I gotta wake up - went to their FAQ page, and under breaking news, I could have swore it said:

Fisting tournaments disabled.

"wait, what?!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo