Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 14:10 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 13:44:
Windows 8 has plenty of worthwhile features on the desktop

Many of those features loosely relate to the desktop or are very tangential. Storage Spaces is half baked and has poor performance compared to any other form of software raid. A new version of WDDM is not a selling feature, that's a wikipedia bullet point. I haven't played much with the cloud stuff since its reliant on a Microsoft account but from what I could tell it's use was mostly related to metro apps. Many current UEFI implementations don't even properly support secure boot and secure boots actual security benefits remain to be seen.

That's just the "positives" too, there are more than a few negatives associated with Windows 8 as we've discussed in many previous threads. Anyways as I said already, Windows 8 shouldn't be reviled like WinME simply because it isn't a major change from Windows 7 in most respects. I think that's the biggest thing it has going for it, you can disable Metro on the desktop and treat it like a cheap copy of Windows 7. Any other minor improvements are just gravy. Now if they ever decide to disallow Win32/legacy then that would be WinME territory.

If Microsoft were to allow Metro apps to run in a window, make the taskbar always visible (even in the Start Screen), remove the hot-corners nonsense and give users more flexibility with the Start Screen then there's no reason Windows 9 couldn't be a success.

There are some puzzling decisions they really need to rectify for Windows 9 or whatever it will be called:

- Make Metro useful in multimonitor, pinning it to one screen without getting kicked back and forth which is jarring and ruins Tiles being legitimately useful

- Have some device detection and change the environment accordingly. There is no reason a desktop should be limited to two concurrent Metro apps

- Make desktops able to run Metro apps in a window as you said

- Allow the user to boot to the desktop without third party software

- Allow users to sideload Metro apps instead of forcing app distro through the store

- Resize Metro apps in a logical way instead of the retarded presets that shit on the benefits of large displays

- Allow desktop apps on the store

- More meaningful interaction between desktop and Metro apps

They now have one over on the competition; 1 OS for all platforms.

I actually do agree with that but there's no reason the OS shouldn't change behavior depending on what device its running. That's been part of Windows strength in the past, customization and incredible range of hardware/software you can use.

I don't think its so much that Start is wonderful/sacred to people as it is that the Metro desktop experience is just that mediocre and poorly realized. This is all talk related to the desktop experience, Metro on a tablet is a whole different story.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2012, 14:47.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 13:44 theyarecomingforyou

Windows 8 has plenty of worthwhile features on the desktop:

Storage Spaces
Improved graphics kernel
New Task Manager (includes ability to disable startup programs)
Ribbon on Explorer (yes, it is actually helpful)
Multi-monitor improvements
Cloud-settings (wallpaper, lockscreen, settings move with you)
Improved security (built-in anti-virus, secure boot)
Start Screen (far from perfect but better than the Start Menu)
PC refresh / reset (no more need to reinstall Windows)
Win + X menu (great for quickly accessing system tools)

There's more included than the Vista -> 7 jump. Yeah, there's plenty of usability issues and Metro apps are pretty shit with mouse and keyboard but the desktop is still where you spend most of your time. If Microsoft were to allow Metro apps to run in a window, make the taskbar always visible (even in the Start Screen), remove the hot-corners nonsense and give users more flexibility with the Start Screen then there's no reason Windows 9 couldn't be a success.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 13:35 Flo

Granted, for a Desktop OS, they made some questionable design decisions (not that this would really slow my work, been using win 8 on my alienware m14 for 2 months now) but it is THE tablet OS that crushes that iOS and Android crap. Have been using it on a Samsung ativ tablet (x86, Atom) for 2 weeks now. After this, using an iPad is like playing an FPS with the kinect
EDIT: Totally agree with Steele Johnson btw

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 13:31 Steele Johnson

This guy did a great job! I think Windows 8 is definitely the right direction for MS. They now have one over on the competition; 1 OS for all platforms. That is generally the only way for MS to pick up the pace and catch up to Apple and Google. I've got Windows 8 installed at work and absolutely love it! Sure, the UI takes a bit to get used to (because it's new), but the underlying management of resources, etc, etc, is so much better than previous versions.

And complaining about a missing button just shows how ignorant you are and how easily confused by new technology. Go back in your cave.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 13:06 Cutter

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 10:54:
Ballmer should be next.

Yes, he should. Long overdue.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 13:01 PropheT

Enahs wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 11:12:
There is A LOT new in Win8, and it is a GREAT system. People only focus on the new UI is the problem; and that is always going to be something subjective anyway.

Those interface issues are hard to ignore, though. From a usability standpoint it's just a little infuriating when certain functions don't work how you'd expect them to, to the point of wondering if anyone working on the design even bothered to really get into using it with a keyboard/mouse instead of a touch screen.

I think the thing that bothers me about it is that it could be great, but it's definitely not and it's just the simple stuff holding it back. Easier customization...or hell, intuitive customization would be good enough, click and drag navigation instead of scroll wheel for horizontal bars, things like that.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 11:58 Verno

Enahs wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 11:36:
That said, these major changes bring to Windows technology Linux has had for in many cases 10 years.....and Mac has now had for 2 or so...

Yes yes, the tickless kernel change, we saw the article too. I don't agree with your assessment of its impact but whatever. Most of the actual improvements like sandboxing and proper app suspension mostly relate to Metro apps alone. To say that's a major new upgrade based on those alone is dubious to me. I would be more on board if the few large scale features like Storage Spaces weren't so half baked. To be fair however many mobile operating systems follow this upgrade path now, assorted minor improvements with maybe one or two named features. It's just really unfortunate for desktop users that the big standout feature in Windows 8 is essentially Metro/store.

I was hoping for some genuine innovation and improvements outside of mobile/tablet efforts. Some of the cut/backburner Vista ideas were fantastic but lost due to its troubled and lengthy development.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2012, 12:04.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 11:36 Enahs

Verno wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 11:22:
But the technology changes behind the scenes, with regard to the kernal and the memory management, etc, are by far worthy of a major revision number.

I've heard this one before based on an Arstechnica article but most of the under the hood changes I've read about only have a meaningful impact on Metro apps. This is well reflected in the marginal differentials between them in benchmarks. I've seen very little evidence to support that Windows 8 is more than an incremental upgrade.

Nothing wrong with incremental upgrades per se though and at least Microsoft has priced it appropriately. I just think its a shame that they didn't try to do more, it feels largely like catch up. I'm also not happy that they don't allow sideloading of metro apps, won't allow desktop apps on the store and forced metro instead of making it a toggleable option based on the device you're using.

The changes behind the scene will not have a major obvious improvement for every application is only because how inefficient Windows has been in the past, and the remedy for that was to throw more hardware resources at it.

But you can get the same performance in many existing applications as your current system using Win 7 in Win 8, while using older and lesser hardware in Win 8.

Just because you do not obviously see a change does not mean major changes have not been made in the background; which will have major impact on future versions.

That said, these major changes bring to Windows technology Linux has had for in many cases 10 years.....and Mac has now had for 2 or so...

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 11:22 Verno

But the technology changes behind the scenes, with regard to the kernal and the memory management, etc, are by far worthy of a major revision number.

I've heard this one before based on an Arstechnica article but most of the under the hood changes I've read about only have a meaningful impact on Metro apps. This is well reflected in the marginal differentials between them in benchmarks. I've seen very little evidence to support that Windows 8 is more than an incremental upgrade.

Nothing wrong with incremental upgrades per se though and at least Microsoft has priced it appropriately. I just think its a shame that they didn't try to do more, it feels largely like catch up. I'm also not happy that they don't allow sideloading of metro apps, won't allow desktop apps on the store and forced metro instead of making it a toggleable option based on the device you're using.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 11:20 Beamer

This isn't a big surprise. Sinofsky was hated at Microsoft. He was considered someone holding back progress. My friends at Microsoft tell me that, under Ballmer, the culture has gotten more collaborative and less siloed, except for the Windows team. So they got rid of the guy that was responsible for holding back the culture change as soon as they could without risking a product launch.

Also: your mother is a cunt. Seriously, what's with that?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 11:12 Enahs

Verno wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 11:01:
ASeven wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 10:50:
One more nail in the Win8 coffin.

Win8 has the potential of dethroning WinME has the worst Windows ever made.

Nah, WinME was a technical disaster as much as it was a product of greed. Windows 8 without Metro is basically just a cheap version of Windows 7. There's nothing really "wrong" with it per se but giving it a major version number with so few standout features is almost misleading IMHO.

There is A LOT new in Win8, and it is a GREAT system. People only focus on the new UI is the problem; and that is always going to be something subjective anyway.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 11:01 Verno

ASeven wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 10:50:

Nah, WinME was a technical disaster as much as it was a product of greed. Windows 8 without Metro is basically just a cheap version of Windows 7. There's nothing really "wrong" with it per se but giving it a major version number with so few standout features is almost misleading IMHO.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 10:59 Creston

we’ve unleashed a huge wave of devices and services that people and businesses love

Errr, other than Office, what exactly have you released that "businesses love???"

Isnt that cunt responsible for the whole 'Metro' bullshit look? (I mean Larson-Green not Sinofsky).

Yes, she was. So this "departure" seems rather suspect. Sinovsky might have easily been fighting the retarded Win8 look, and Balmer got rid of him as soon as he could.

I am SO curious to know what kind of dirt Balmer has on the Board. It has to be fucking MASSIVE for him to be able to retain his position as CEO even though the company goes through failure after failure after failure.

Creston

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 10:54 NegaDeath

Ballmer should be next.  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 10:50 ASeven

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 10:49 Shok

I hope he didn't take the Start button with him!  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 10:46 InBlack

Isnt that cunt responsible for the whole 'Metro' bullshit look? (I mean Larson-Green not Sinofsky).

In any case rats leaving a sinking ship dont make the ship sink no less...

I have a nifty blue line!

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo