Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2

The BioWare Blog has an update from BioWare Montreal on the next installment in the Mass Effect series of action/RPGs, announcing their studio is taking the helm of the next game. Word is they will be working with the Edmonton studio and the Frostbite 2 engine from the Battlefield series to make and installment that's "respectful of the heritage" of the series:

To ensure a proper and effective transition, we’ll continue to be supported by the Edmonton studio through the game’s development, working with and learning from them on some critical initiatives. On top of that, Casey remains the Executive Producer, but he will have a Project Director under him, working in Montreal, leading our development team and making day-to-day decisions for the game. We all care very much about Mass Effect and make our decisions based on what’s best for the game.

There is really not much I can tell you about the game right now, except that it will be built with the amazing technology of Frostbite as its foundation, enhanced by many of the systems that the Dragon Age III team has already spent a lot of time building.

The other thing I can tell you is that, while it will be very respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games, with the original trilogy now concluded and the switch over to a new engine, we are exploring new directions, both on the gameplay and story fronts. You can still expect the pillars the franchise is known for to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore, and of course rich, cinematic storytelling.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

41. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 09:07 Creston

They had said after the mass sales of ME2 that they'd likely build more games in the Mass Effect universe, they'd just not have much or anything to do with the Reapers/Shepard story.

And sure, I could make some jokes that they'll be very respectful of the heritage of the original, so it'll have a terrible ending and it will have the producers lie through their teeth about what's going to be in it, but I'm actually pretty excited to see what this will turn out to be.

ME3 was a terrific game let down by 20 horrible minutes at the end. The other 100+ hours in the trilogy was awesome, so I'm happy to see more games being made in the universe.

And the switch to Frostbite 2 is great, hopefully the game will incorporate its strengths fully. I had no idea that DA3 was going to use the FB2 engine as well, so that might be cool.

In any case, the ME franchise being given to a new team will hopefully mean that that arrogant asstard Mac Fucking Walters will in no way, share or form be involved with it.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 08:53 MrRadicalEd

Verno wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 08:46:
shul wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 06:38:
wasn't this supposed to be a trilogy. I was suckered into these games and it was all well and good, but a forth one? really? what will happen now? what sorts of evil will we need to fight off?

ME can be a great open world / sandbox kind of a game a la Elite or privateer but it doesn't go that way, and the scripting of the game makes you feel like the whole thing is a one long grind fest. really, more openness, less guided tour.

Publishers don't know when to quit and to be fair it's a risk adverse market these days. It bothers me as a fan though, they will say something is a trilogy so you think you'll get some closure from the 100+ hours you spend on it then they announce a fourth game barely a year after. Personally I'm done with the ME games, they were good for what they were but after 100+ hours and that shitty conclusion they just don't have anything new to offer me.

This is EA.. which means it is par for the course.

39. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 08:46 Verno

wasn't this supposed to be a trilogy. I was suckered into these games and it was all well and good, but a forth one? really? what will happen now? what sorts of evil will we need to fight off?

ME can be a great open world / sandbox kind of a game a la Elite or privateer but it doesn't go that way, and the scripting of the game makes you feel like the whole thing is a one long grind fest. really, more openness, less guided tour.

Publishers don't know when to quit and to be fair it's a risk adverse market these days. It bothers me as a fan though, they will say something is a trilogy so you think you'll get some closure from the 100+ hours you spend on it then they announce a fourth game barely a year after. Personally I'm done with the ME games, they were good for what they were but after 100+ hours and that shitty conclusion they just don't have anything new to offer me.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

38. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 07:07 Quinn

I'm not sure if I agree with you that the 4th install should be a game a la Privateer, but I definitely agree that if they do a 4th.. they should make it a completely different genre and even give it another title.

An ambitious game which has freeroaming space flight AND an FPS experience (not like CoD but more like Deus Ex) wrapped into a deep storyline.. now that would sell!!

But I'm.. well, 95% certain it'll be the mainstream kinda crap you taste in games like DA2 and Dis-fucking-honored (yes, Dishonored. That that game is a success is beyond me and my European friends. Granted, Europeans have a better idea what quality games should look like in the first place.).

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

37. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 06:38 shul

36. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 03:47 Bhruic

Jerykk wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 02:31:
Not saying the series is bad or anything. I enjoyed them quite a bit. But RPGs they are not. Shooters with RPG elements is a much more apt description.

We've had this argument before, and you were no more convincing then. But if you want to consider previous MEs "shooters", fine, but that doesn't make the other argument any more correct. They won't be "turning" ME4 into any more of a shooter than ME2/3 were. Especially based on the engine they are using.

35. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 03:34 Quinn

Prez wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 02:31:
I have been meaning to get ME 3 to finish the trilogy, but it has to be cheap. I have no interest in paying a whole lot to Bioware and EA. I have to admit, though, part of my interest is that I am curious to see just how bad the ending is. Just watching it on youtube wouldn't give me the proper context with which to formulate a proper opinion I think.

I tend to think that it won't ruin the whole experience for me even if it's as bad as everyone says. I still think the movie "The Abyss" is an amazing film despite it having one of the dumbest endings in Hollywood history.

Prez, I had the exact same wishful thinking going on when I read all the critique on the ending. I told myself that I would get it; that I would see and understand the vision behind the decision of whatever ending I was gonna get.

I was wrong. The majority was actually right, this time. This ending is the most dumb, uninspiring clusterfuck of all ages. You'll see.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

34. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 03:28 Warskull

finga wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 23:58:
Yes. Even PC gamers. It's actually really good, and I found it to be better than most of these four-player cooperative survival modes out there, with the possible exception of the Left 4 Dead games. I got bored of it after a few weeks, but that's still far longer than most games' Firefight/Horde-type modes got out of me.

Hence why my response to the question of "how should we make ME4 better" is fire yourself and let the multiplayer team handle this one.

33. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 02:45 Flatline

finga wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 00:01:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 22:34:
less pseudo-religious 'chosen one' stuff.
Which the Mass Effect series didn't do. Not even a little bit. Shepard had no prophecy, no special birthright, no magical powers above anyone else's.

Except for the part where he becomes a Nietzsche Ubermensch and more or less stops being human in order to take care of humanity. Which I think was the entire *intended* ending theme for ME3, but was lost in terribly bad, rushed, and pointless writing. Even the "polish" of the new endings missed the point entirely.

Bear with me a moment. I could live with shitty ending choices that made no sense to me because I'm human if the plot and dialog suggested that Shepard's morality was becoming alien to pretty much everyone else in the Galaxy. Of course what he decides is best wouldn't make one iota of sense: his morality is on another plane beyond any life or synthetic intelligence in the galaxy.

I'll ignore the part where that means that Shepard is open to more than the End-o-tron 3000's 3 colored levers (which means he really isn't making decisions but fulfilling a deus ex machina NPC's 3 choices, which is where all the nerd rage comes from), but with the proper writing and dialog leading up to that concept, it could have been a cool, albeit controversial ending.

Okay off my soap box.

32. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 02:31 Prez

I have been meaning to get ME 3 to finish the trilogy, but it has to be cheap. I have no interest in paying a whole lot to Bioware and EA. I have to admit, though, part of my interest is that I am curious to see just how bad the ending is. Just watching it on youtube wouldn't give me the proper context with which to formulate a proper opinion I think.

I tend to think that it won't ruin the whole experience for me even if it's as bad as everyone says. I still think the movie "The Abyss" is an amazing film despite it having one of the dumbest endings in Hollywood history.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 02:31 Jerykk

Bhruic wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 01:37:
loomy wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 23:14:
The previous versions of Mass Effect were more and more shooter over time. Bioware Montreal's greatest accomplishment is Mass Effect 3 multiplayer WHICH IS NOTHING BUT A SHOOTER. So what's dumb is your face

Or in other words, you have absolutely no evidence to back up anything that you are claiming.

See, that's an example of an "in other words" that actually works. Unlike yours.

Mass Effect is definitely a shooter. At least 70% of the gameplay consists of shooting. You can't sneak or talk your way through the vast majority of missions. Your character is largely predefined (name, alliances, species, etc) and you are the savior of the galaxy no matter how rude or polite you choose to be.

Not saying the series is bad or anything. I enjoyed them quite a bit. But RPGs they are not. Shooters with RPG elements is a much more apt description.

Anyway, for ME4, I hope they let you choose your species. That's easily the most interesting part of ME3's multiplayer. Of course, Bioware refuses to do silent protagonists these days so we'll end up being human again because recording 10+ versions of every dialogue line isn't really feasible.

30. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 02:19 Quinn

Will it be a prequel? If so, screw the fuck out of it. Whatever quest you're being set out to do, from whatever crisis you have to save the universe, we all know how it's gonna end up anyway.

After ME3's ending, I don't want to be reminded of the game I've invested too many hours in. The ending was the worst in history, movies and books included. A couple of screenslides and a monologue is not what I called fixing the ending. Instead I felr even more insulted.

Bioware is dead to me. So very, very dead.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

29. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 01:45 Graham

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 01:35:
Which the Mass Effect series didn't do. Not even a little bit. Shepard had no prophecy, no special birthright, no magical powers above anyone else's.

Yeah the hero named Shepard, who dies and is resurrected, wages war with Legion, and then sacrifices himself for us, had not even a little bit of that sort of thing.

Reading much into it?

Died - yup.

Brought back through medical science. Cold hard cash did that - and the reasoning was manipulative symbolism - almost the opposite of what you're suggesting.

Legion was on your side.

And isn't the sacrifice supposed to happen BEFORE the resurrection?

Besides, SHE didn't sacrifice herself. She merged with galactic consciousness and you can't tell me otherwise.

P.S. Your rationalizations are bad and you should feel bad.

28. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 01:42 Graham

More space opera, less pseudo-religious 'chosen one' stuff.

You must be thinking of a different game. Shep had "visions" after interacting with an alien artifact - and only because s/he saved a crew member from being zapped. No one came up to him/her with a "it was written that this would happen" or "It has been foreseen that the Shep would come and save us."

Just. Didn't Happen.

So perhaps you'd care to back that one up and try again?

27. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 01:37 Bhruic

The previous versions of Mass Effect were more and more shooter over time. Bioware Montreal's greatest accomplishment is Mass Effect 3 multiplayer WHICH IS NOTHING BUT A SHOOTER. So what's dumb is your face

Or in other words, you have absolutely no evidence to back up anything that you are claiming.

See, that's an example of an "in other words" that actually works. Unlike yours.

26. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 01:35 Beelzebud

Yeah the hero named Shepard, who dies and is resurrected, wages war with Legion, and then sacrifices himself for us, had not even a little bit of that sort of thing.

25. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 01:16 Draugr

Bhruic wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 22:27:
loomy wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 22:21:
In other words, "we're making Mass Effect a shooter now because those make a lot of money. It seems like Halo anyway so why not."

What a dumb statement. The previous versions used the UE3 engine, and managed to not be "a shooter", so why does the change to the Frostbite engine somehow mean it'll be a shooter? The engine has nothing to do with what type of game you end up with. Hell, they are using the Frostbite engine to make a new Command and Conquer, and that sure as hell isn't a shooter.

Well, I agree with you, and while Bioware Montreals pedigree plays a part of why I think that, I think it's most apparent in their statement

You can still expect the pillars the franchise is known for to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore, and of course rich, cinematic storytelling.

No mention of RPG/Roleplaying.

24. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 00:01 finga

23. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 12, 2012, 23:58 finga

Fion wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 23:26:
NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 20:54:
No UE3? Thank god.

On topic: I did a double take on the ME4. Really? ME4? I guess I should never have doubted it. But I do wonder what exactly will it be about? How can you even call it Mass Effect since the entire mass effect station network exploded and half the characters are dead?

The "Mass Effect" as a pseudo-scientific term covered more than just the Mass Relays. They were a basis for a bunch of the game's sci-fi tech explanations; it covers shields, biotics, and more.

PvP only is possible, but does anyone think ME3 multiplayer was any good?
Yes. Even PC gamers. It's actually really good, and I found it to be better than most of these four-player cooperative survival modes out there, with the possible exception of the Left 4 Dead games. I got bored of it after a few weeks, but that's still far longer than most games' Firefight/Horde-type modes got out of me.

22. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 12, 2012, 23:34 Warskull

Quboid wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 22:20:
Pete wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 22:10:
Worth it if you find it cheap. Great game with a shitty ending.

What ever happened to them patching the ending?

Before I played it I thought the reaction was ridiculous but wow, they really did stuff that up so badly.

The ending is still stupid and makes no sense. They just added exposition, which makes it feel a bit less bad.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo