Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Confirms New Engine?

LambdaGeneration has word on Valve's software engineering efforts based on a video of a visit to Valve by some members of 4chan's /v/ (thanks Joao). This seems to offer the first concrete word on hints that they are working on a new game engine. Here's their transcript of the pertinent passage:

Fan: Is Valve potentially already working on a new engine?

Fan: Source 2? Could or… could not be?

Gabe Newell: We’ve been working on Valve’s new engine stuff for a while, we’re probably just [incomprehensible, subtitled as: "waiting for a game to roll it out with"]

Fan: Is it going to be more than just an extension to Source? Is it an entirely new engine?

Gabe Newell: Yeah!

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

14. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 12:04 theyarecomingforyou

eunichron wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:34:
They need to start making big leaps in AI. A few games have been pushing it lately (Radiant AI in Skyrim, a few others I can't remember this early in the morning), but we went from companies in the late 90s/early 00s making great advancements in AI, only to be inundated by rail shooters where the extent of the enemy AI is aimbots pouring out of windows and doors.
I agree. Developers have barely made any progress when it comes to AI, certainly not in comparison to graphical progress. We're yet to have a game that can manage to make a single enemy truly challenging - they all work by spamming endless drones against you or by giving them mountains of health (e.g. boss fights); none of them have any real character or personality.

We need AI that can respond naturally to the environment - climbing through a fence, diving behind cover, climbing up irregular objects, demonstrating emotion (fear, anger, etc) and making mistakes (tripping over, knocking their head on objects)... yet all done naturally, not scripted. Characters are still created by combined canned animations rather than free-thinking artificial intelligence. We've got the 'artificial' part nailed; now we just need the 'intelligence'.

We also need artificial speech. It's possible for AI to produce human like text so what we really need is dynamically produced speech that can be synthesised without requiring a human to voice the parts. Unfortunately I doubt we'll see anything like that within the next ten to twenty years.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 12:02 BobBob

Please continue to support Linux servers.  

12. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 11:43 sauron

Fantaz wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:29:
What was 4chan doing at Valve? That's worse than members of Neogaf/Reddit visiting Valve...

This! Usually, claiming to belong to 4chan gets you kicked out of and then banned from places!

What did they do, pretend to be the New York Times?

Kittens!

11. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 11:34 eunichron

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:49:
Considering that HL2 was one of the first games to push DX9 I would hope to see something similar with any next-gen engine from Valve. Really they need to be supporting DX11 from the get-go. I also hope we'll see some real advancement in gameplay, much like HL2 did by introduced physics, advanced facial animations and pushing drivable vehicles.

Graphics are all well and good but gameplay and art direction are much more important and that's somewhere that Valve has always excelled, especially with TF2 which was amazing for its time.

They need to start making big leaps in AI. A few games have been pushing it lately (Radiant AI in Skyrim, a few others I can't remember this early in the morning), but we went from companies in the late 90s/early 00s making great advancements in AI, only to be inundated by rail shooters where the extent of the enemy AI is aimbots pouring out of windows and doors.

No doubt Source 2 (or whatever it ends up being called) will be graphically amazing, and the physics will be super, but AI is the next innovation that is going to matter, in my opinion.

10. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 11:33 Cutter

Enahs wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:14:
Maybe this is the reason HL3 is taking so long?! They needed a new engine to do the awesome new game-play they thought up?!

I could always hope...

You, me and everyone else.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 11:32 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:27:
Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:09:
Will it be an engine that doesn't have to load every seven seconds?

Creston

Oh come on, it's not that baLOADING...

That made me snort water all over my desk. Thanks!

Creston

8. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 11:27 Verno

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:09:

Creston

Oh come on, it's not that baLOADING...

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

7. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 11:09 Creston

Creston

6. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 10:49 theyarecomingforyou

Considering that HL2 was one of the first games to push DX9 I would hope to see something similar with any next-gen engine from Valve. Really they need to be supporting DX11 from the get-go. I also hope we'll see some real advancement in gameplay, much like HL2 did by introduced physics, advanced facial animations and pushing drivable vehicles.

Graphics are all well and good but gameplay and art direction are much more important and that's somewhere that Valve has always excelled, especially with TF2 which was amazing for its time.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

5. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 10:29 Fantaz

What was 4chan doing at Valve? That's worse than members of Neogaf/Reddit visiting Valve...  

4. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 10:24 Verno

I don't know if you ever saw L4D or Narbacular Drop (Portal) before Valve got involved but to say they just buy indies studios and publish is extremely disingenuous. They do a lot of original work on the properties themselves. Nothing wrong with recognizing a good idea and bringing it to fruition. Not trying to single you out, I just see that one a lot  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

3. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 10:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:10:
Gabe Newell: Also, we might absorb some indie studio and get them make a game with it!

Fixed that for you.

2. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 10:14 Enahs

Maybe this is the reason HL3 is taking so long?! They needed a new engine to do the awesome new game-play they thought up?!

I could always hope...

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

1. Re: Valve Confirms New Engine? Nov 12, 2012, 10:10 nin

Gabe Newell: Also, we might make a game with it!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo