Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million

The Mojang Website has word that the phenomenal success of Minecraft continues, revealing the indie construction game has now sold more than eight million copies on the PC. To put this in perspective, they note that according to the Wikipedia, this makes it the ninth bestselling PC game of all time, ahead of such luminaries as StarCraft II, Myst, and Diablo II. In response to this, Notch has provided a message, which is either encoded, or really badly mistyped: "69I960EHE0A4A0IVG0EHE02500R4R0G1T30PLJ00V6V0EHE0V1U01V10U5U0VGV0V4R."

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 14:58 Creston

That's crazy. Congrats, Notch.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 14:52 webname

The game is a fucking resource hog, its astounding really for what it is, drives the fans on the vid card
into overdrive, but then its running optifine as well dont know if its the cause. but even the server is a resource pig and it runs on linux to ,me happy

But its a neat game, well done. Hope there are more succesfull like this , i own a copy and run a LAN server for a couple of pc's at home when the kids are over. though some are outgrowing it. I still dable
from time to time. bukkit wasnt that hard to get running.

19. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 14:46 sauron

J wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 14:31:
Fantaz wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:35:
"69I960EHE0A4A0IVG0EHE02500R4R0G1T30PLJ00V6V0EHE0V1U01V10U5U0VGV0V4R"

Notch has gone crazy?
Could it be a seed?

I think it's been encrypted using a key. Probably the key is something obvious ('Minecraft' or 'Notch') but I can't get any further with it.

Kittens!

18. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 14:44 Prez

All I know is I wish I was Notch Pearson. Wait, he doesn't have a neckbeard does he?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 14:36 Cutter

Given its price point how many people bought it simply because other people had it? What's the average continual play time of this game? How many people bought it and checked it out for a week and never touched it again?

Even though a game like Civ has gone through several iterations it's a game that never leaves my desktop and I continue to play regularly over the years.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 14:31 J

Fantaz wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:35:

Notch has gone crazy?
Could it be a seed?

15. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 13:42 jacobvandy

And don't forget the XBLA version, which has sold more than 3 million despite the dozens of imitators on there, many of which were released first and sold up to a million-plus themselves.  

14. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 13:40 Axis

Operating costs on a AAA game often need to sell millions before the developers even get to make any sort of profit.

Indies, well there's a reason Notch has more money flowing out of his pockets than your average EA backed developer.

The point you made about the amount of computers is totally 100% correct. When I was clanning in 96 and running a giant company's network, almost every one of my users did NOT have a home computer (or a beeper :)), and most of the clanners at quakecons worked in the industry -- and this was only 16 years ago.

So now you know why I'm naturally skeptic about many of self professed experienced gamers who would have been tweens or younger at the time.

Yours truly,

Axis

13. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 13:26 loomy

this says more about the market than minecraft.

minecraft is pretty trashy, but every boy with a brain likes building and destroying, and the virtual lego market is a virtual wasteland. so here it is, ruled by an independent game. that's okay-ish.

but comparing the sales to myst or whatever is roughly stupid. it is like comparing the ticket sales of gone with the wind to SAW, or the players of half life to farmville. or the ad buys of the bachelorette to the cosby show.

every year these sorts of records are broken because of economic and population changes rather than what anybody did. that is why smart people invented ideas like "per capita" and "adjusted for inflation". and why dummies believe that the last "highest grossing ever", or most popular movie ever actually was so when it kind of wasnt.

I think we've all forgotten a little just how the number of computers have changed over 10 and 20 and 30 years. compare the sales of myst per windows computer at the time to sales of minecraft per windows computer now. we'll see why myst is a big deal and minecraft is just another game.

PS: that "best selling PC games" article is typical of an obscure wikipedia article: incomplete and misleading because it is maintained by retards.

12. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 13:03 Axis

Minecraft has a gigantic young audience too, my 4th grader and almost every one of his friends play it.  

Yours truly,

Axis

11. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 12:47 ItBurn

Minecraft is the only game in existence where you can REALLY do anything. Don't take this lightly.  

10. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 12:26 Shok

Minecraft is a seminal game for sure but I had no desire to play it myself. /shrug  

9. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 12:08 Hellbinder

also i think the android version of minecraft that costs 6.99 has sold well over a million copies. i think it is something like 3 million or there about. the IOS version is probably at least that if not more.

That is some serious bling for minecraft.

The Whales name is Bob.

8. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 12:03 BobBob

A friend's 10 year old son eats, breathes, and poops Minecraft. It's funny.  

7. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 11:38 Cutter

I really don't believe it.

Then again, I don't believe reality TV is that popular either.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 11:15 nin

So is it still "just a fad"?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 11:11 netnerd85

Minecraft has charm.  

4. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 11:07 DeadlyAccurate

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:18:
Ye poor souls; that's at least 8 million sets of eyes subjected to the horror that is Minecraft's 'artwork.'

Still, very impressive, even if I found Terraria to be more entertaining than Minecraft.

Sphax BDCraft texture pack. I don't play with default textures.

I put about 60 hours into Terraria, which is pretty impressive for a game I paid less than $3 for. I've put hundreds into Minecraft. I agree that Terraria is more game-like. I only built what I needed to build. I didn't feel much urge to make things simply for the sake of making them. Modded Minecraft can be more game-like. (There's even a Terraria mod for it).

3. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 10:35 Fantaz

Notch has gone crazy?

Although 8 million definitely is the biggest milestone ever for an indie title, and being on the top 10 list of bestselling PC games of all time as well. Congrats!

2. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 8 Million Nov 12, 2012, 10:35 Verno

Terraria is more of a game than Minecraft but Minecraft is definitely the better building sim  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo