Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1?

A recent forum post by Microsoft employee Daniel Moth indicates that DirectX 11.1 is exclusive to Windows 8, much the way DirectX 10 was not released for versions of Windows before Vista, saying it is integrated into the new version of the operating system. Here's word on where this stands right now: "DirectX 11.1 is part of Windows 8, just like DirectX 11 was part of Windows 7. DirectX 11 was made available for Vista .... but at this point there is no plan for DirectX 11.1 to be made available on Windows 7." Neowin was told "we have nothing further to share" after contacting Microsoft for further comment on this. The biggest difference between DirectX 11.1 and DirectX 11 seems to be native stereoscopic 3D support, so this should not impact serious gamers anyway. Thanks VG247.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

13. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:56 PHJF

The biggest difference between DirectX 11.1 and DirectX 11 seems to be native stereoscopic 3D support, so this should not impact serious gamers anyway.

Right, so it is even less an issue than Vista DX10 (which was a complete and total flop). Hey maybe when the new shitbox comes out we can finally move to a DX10 standard for games, and then DX11 in five more years! : /

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:56 Frijoles

Kajetan wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:30:
Btw. is this whole 3D thing with games picking up anytime soon or was it just another gimmick, fading out in obscurity?

I bought the nVidia glasses. Don't waste your money. It's cool at first, but just not worth it. Some games handle it pretty well, others fail. I stopped using it since I didn't want to lower my graphic settings, and it gave me a headache after only an hour (I tend to play games for a few hours at a time).

I've thought about going back to older games like Metro and trying it out now that I have a more powerful graphics card and won't have to lower the settings. I may still do that when I get some time.

11. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:54 Verno

Zanderat1 wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:51:
Not a big deal. If I do upgrade to W8, I'll be using Start8 to banish the Metro bs gui.

Get StartIsBack instead would be my suggestion - cheaper, uses the old native Start Menu code they had to leave in so jumplists could work and you won't be supporting crazy ass weirdo Brad as an added bonus

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

10. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:51 Zanderat1

Not a big deal. If I do upgrade to W8, I'll be using Start8 to banish the Metro bs gui.  

9. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:45 theyarecomingforyou

Fragmenting the DirectX install base is the last thing that Microsoft should be doing, though it's not at all surprising.
aesir05 wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:18:
atleast with win7 I heard some random talk of XP not able to support it and what not, but this...this is just marketing
Actually the Windows 8 graphics sub-system has been upgraded to WDDM 1.2, which should make it more robust. It's one of the reasons why AMD has dropped support for all cards older than the 5xxx series. Is that a valid excuse to not bring DX11.1 to Vista and 7? No. As you say, it's a shitty marketing move.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:36 Verno

I wouldn't be surprised if they took to calling it Xbox DirectX soon, their commitment to the PC platform is at an all time low.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:32 Fantaz

He said currently there's no plans, but that doesn't mean that there may be plans in the future. He neither confirmed nor denied. I wouldn't take forum responses as proof for this, and DX11.1 sounds like something incremental instead of a big DX upgrade.  

6. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 Kajetan

It did not help Vista. Why should this help W8? But hey, if a strategy fails, just try it once more. And again, and again. You'll never know ...

Btw. is this whole 3D thing with games picking up anytime soon or was it just another gimmick, fading out in obscurity?

5. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:20 MajorD

nin wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:09:
To no ones surprise. Still not buying it.

Yeah, I'm with ya. As pointed out, "DirectX 11.1 and DirectX 11 seems to be native stereoscopic 3D support....", that's not a big loss. Either way, it wouldn't persuade me into downgrading to Windows 8 anyway. Windows 7 64bit serves me perfectly.

4. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:20 ASeven

This won't make people buy your OS, MS. Go support PC gaming somewhere else.  

3. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:18 Ozmodan

It will take game companies years to integrate 3D in their games and why bother it is more fluff than a needed feature.  

2. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:18 aesir05

atleast with win7 I heard some random talk of XP not able to support it and what not, but this...this is just marketing

won't be upgrading to win8 just coz ms wants it.

1. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 10:09 nin

To no ones surprise. Still not buying it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo