Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1?

A recent forum post by Microsoft employee Daniel Moth indicates that DirectX 11.1 is exclusive to Windows 8, much the way DirectX 10 was not released for versions of Windows before Vista, saying it is integrated into the new version of the operating system. Here's word on where this stands right now: "DirectX 11.1 is part of Windows 8, just like DirectX 11 was part of Windows 7. DirectX 11 was made available for Vista .... but at this point there is no plan for DirectX 11.1 to be made available on Windows 7." Neowin was told "we have nothing further to share" after contacting Microsoft for further comment on this. The biggest difference between DirectX 11.1 and DirectX 11 seems to be native stereoscopic 3D support, so this should not impact serious gamers anyway. Thanks VG247.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

33. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 14:24 Prez

Personally I can't fathom why anyone would care about DirectX 11.1 - there isn't a chance in hell that games will be made that require it exclusively. Like has already been said it's doubtful it will even get used by game designers.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 14:22 Crustacean Soup

wtf_man wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 12:20:
Win7 appears to be the last OS I get from MS. - I really hate Metro that much.

Meh. I'm using Windows 8 right now. It's fine. Honestly, it hasn't cost me any productivity. The only thing I can think of that I've lost is the launch lists for start menu shortcuts (highlighting Visual Studio and being able to click on a recently-opened project right in the start menu), and I only ever noticed one or two programs making use of that in Windows 7 anyways.

edit: whoops, edited instead of posted

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2012, 14:30.

31. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 14:19 Axis

Clancy wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 13:42:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 12:37:
I expect DX11.1 will suffer the same fate as DX10.1. No developers will actually use it.

Maybe now they will all start to switch to openGL, that doesn't have such limitations, and you can use the latest openGL features all the way back to XP, assuming the drivers / hardware support it.

It would be nice to see it come full circle, OGL was the only good option back in the clanning days of the 90s. Wasn't until MS decided to have a war with OGL (long after OGL was around) that D3d got 'embedded' in everyone's mind that it was the only thing around. And it went back to 95

Yours truly,

Axis

30. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 14:12 Flatline

wtf_man wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 12:20:

It's not a big deal... DX11 is good enough... and I imagine that Games will run on Win7 for a long time to come. And by the time Hardware and Games don't run on Win7... I'll have probably winded down on buying games anyway. I'm getting too old for this shit.

In the meantime, OSX has served my non-gaming needs quite well. ...And if that starts getting too cloud heavy (which I also can't stand)... then there's always Linux to fall back on.

It pretty much will depend entirely on what xbox does. Most of my PC games still run dx9, and only a handful run dx beyond that and are PC exclusive *and* are worth the jump.

If the next xbox runs with 11.1 or whatever, then that's what devs will program with, and we'll have to update sooner rather than later. If they go with an earlier DX, Windows 8 will be an abortion.

29. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 14:03 nin

CeeJay wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 13:58:
I hear good things about Classic Shell - it's freeware.

Used it for a couple of years, both at home and work. Can't say enough awesome things about it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 13:58 CeeJay

I hear good things about Classic Shell - it's freeware.  
I'm the developer of SweetFX

27. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 13:42 Clancy

Jerykk wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 12:37:
I expect DX11.1 will suffer the same fate as DX10.1. No developers will actually use it.

Maybe now they will all start to switch to openGL, that doesn't have such limitations, and you can use the latest openGL features all the way back to XP, assuming the drivers / hardware support it.

26. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 12:37 Jerykk

25. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 12:35 Verno

MajorD wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:58:
Huh. Yeah, but Brother-In-Law likes the Win8 Metro on his phone as well. I'll have to check it out more.

I've test driven one for a weekend and found it decidedly subpar compared to Android 4.2. Less customization and a poor app selection. In a market where Android didn't exist it would be a credible alternative to iOS perhaps.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

24. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 12:20 wtf_man

It's not a big deal... DX11 is good enough... and I imagine that Games will run on Win7 for a long time to come. And by the time Hardware and Games don't run on Win7... I'll have probably winded down on buying games anyway. I'm getting too old for this shit.

In the meantime, OSX has served my non-gaming needs quite well. ...And if that starts getting too cloud heavy (which I also can't stand)... then there's always Linux to fall back on.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2012, 13:29.

23. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 12:02 Kajetan

Frijoles wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:56:
I bought the nVidia glasses. Don't waste your money. It's cool at first, but just not worth it. Some games handle it pretty well, others fail. I stopped using it since I didn't want to lower my graphic settings, and it gave me a headache after only an hour (I tend to play games for a few hours at a time).
Thank you for the info. I stay away from 3D movies since getting a massive headache after the first hour of Avatar. Therefore i WILL stay away from 3D gaming

22. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 11:58 MajorD

Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:52:
MajorD wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:41:
The Windows 8 Apps screen looks so plain, flat, and pre-dated. I just can't understand why they wouldn't add some texture and 3D depth to the tiles and screen/window to make it more esthetically pleasing. Instead, it looks something like an old console UI. Intellivision UI comes to mind for some reason.

Am I alone here?

Can't speak for a full screen, but I love Metro on phones. Certainly beats the Apple textured aesthetic that seems to finally be dying (seriously, I sat next to a guy on a plane that was using the Apple notepad. It had college-ruled paper texture. It was like something you'd expect to see in 1995.)

Huh. Yeah, but Brother-In-Law likes the Win8 Metro on his phone as well. I'll have to check it out more.

21. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 11:55 Acleacius

Douche bags.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 11:52 Beamer

MajorD wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:41:
The Windows 8 Apps screen looks so plain, flat, and pre-dated. I just can't understand why they wouldn't add some texture and 3D depth to the tiles and screen/window to make it more esthetically pleasing. Instead, it looks something like an old console UI. Intellivision UI comes to mind for some reason.

Am I alone here?

Can't speak for a full screen, but I love Metro on phones. Certainly beats the Apple textured aesthetic that seems to finally be dying (seriously, I sat next to a guy on a plane that was using the Apple notepad. It had college-ruled paper texture. It was like something you'd expect to see in 1995.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 11:43 MajorD

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:40:
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:18:
It will take game companies years to integrate 3D in their games and why bother it is more fluff than a needed feature.

Spot on. By the time anyone makes use of it - if they ever actually do - Win9 will be out and we'll be on DX12.

And we just 'might' be enjoying Half-Life 3 by then. Wink

18. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 11:41 MajorD

Am I alone here?

17. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 11:40 Cutter

Ozmodan wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:18:
It will take game companies years to integrate 3D in their games and why bother it is more fluff than a needed feature.

Spot on. By the time anyone makes use of it - if they ever actually do - Win9 will be out and we'll be on DX12.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 11:31 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:30:
But hey, if a strategy fails, just try it once more. And again, and again. You'll never know ...

It's the Balmer way!

Creston

15. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 11:29 John

Verno wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:54:
Get StartIsBack instead would be my suggestion - cheaper, uses the old native Start Menu code they had to leave in so jumplists could work and you won't be supporting crazy ass weirdo Brad as an added bonus
Cool, I'll check that out! I'm currently testing Win8 on a dual-boot setup and having the old start menu will make it much better.

This space is available for rent

14. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 11:13 Creston

I give Microsoft and Windows 8 the much coveted FIVE dismissive wanks.

Creston

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo