Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As I mentioned yesterday, today is the official observation of yesterday's Veteran's Day here in the U.S. Yesterday was also Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, so these also may be observed today in some places, which may make for a slow day. We'll see. Anyway, once again here's a salute to vets everywhere.

Veteran Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Stop GMO.
Stories: Bigfoot Monster Truck goes electric. Thanks HARDOCP.
"Skyfall," "Lincoln" Soar At The Box-Office.
Science: Clever cockatoo manufactures, uses tools. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Driving in Russia.
Horses Agree.
Game of Bones - Opening Theme.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 23:12 Rigs

*double post*

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2012, 00:22.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 13:37 Mr. Tact

Is the old coot you Creston?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 13:20 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 17:22:
Amazing that he needed eight staples and yet was considering not seeing a doctor -- sounds like a tough old man.

Old men are crazy. This 64 year old coot I know was having pain in his chest, so he calls the hospital and they ask him about his symptoms and then go "OH MY GOD YOU ARE HAVING A HEART ATTACK WE ARE SENDING AN AMBULANCE RIGHT NOW!"

And he goes "No, don't do that, I'll come in myself!" and hangs up on them.

Then he goes and gets a HAIRCUT before going to the hospital!

Anyway, glad to hear your pop is okay, Bats!

Creston

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 08:55 InBlack

Watched Skyfall on Sunday.

Im not a major Bond fan or anything and have missed the last two Daniel Craig films in the cinema although I did watch them on DvD. Dint think they were all that great, although they were better than the utter crap Brosnan movies...

In any case Skyfall is easily the BEST bond movie ever made. It wins hands down. Its an introspective and very intelligent drama as well as a Bond action film. It has both style and substance IMO something missing from most BOND films.

I also loved the small tributes and nods to the old Sean Connery films, its obvious Mendez is a huge Connery fan.

Bardem is fantastic and nearly steals the show, Craig is excellent both gritty and classy at the same time, and the 'femme fatale' bond girl is just...holy shit

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 08:21 Mr. Tact

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 03:34:
My grandfather was a huge blow to my father, and actually a pretty large blow to myself as well, as I spent every summer from the age of 3 to 16 with my grandparents. My father and I are best buds - and I know he has issues with losing his father, as they argued for many years.
Interesting, it sounds like the relationship between myself and my father was closer to your father and grandfather's. We also spent a good portion of our time together arguing. However, my father's death was effectively a non-event for me. If I hadn't needed to do a 250 mile round trip to go pick up my sister from the airport I would have been doing my NFL Fantasy Draft the day after he died. My father died just over 5 years ago (9/1/07) and I doubt I've thought about him a dozen times since. *shrug*

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 05:13 Prez

Not to be a downer (quite the contrary really), but I have to point out that all fathers are not created equal. My dad was a major fuck-up of a parent. He allowed himself (and us kids) to be dominated by an unstable, short-fused, irrational, and violence-prone mother. So weak a man and so afraid of her was he that he would help her in her abuse of us rather than stand up and put a stop to it. Even though I eventually forgave my father for the terrible childhood he allowed his children to endure I'll never be able to forget it. It makes respecting him extremely hard, but I try.

I say this not for pity, but to illustrate the point even further that if you have a good dad, please PLEASE appreciate him. If you lost him, be thankful that the memories you have of him are good ones. Those memories are something some of us will never have.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 03:34 xXBatmanXx

Rigs wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 03:01:
sauron wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 19:34:
Good dads are under-rated and often taken for granted, but you really miss them when they're gone.

Indeed, three years on for me and all I want is to hear his voice again...

=-Rigs-=

*riases a beer*

Feel for you. My grandfather was a huge blow to my father, and actually a pretty large blow to myself as well, as I spent every summer from the age of 3 to 16 with my grandparents. My father and I are best buds - and I know he has issues with losing his father, as they argued for many years.

I can't even imagine losing him. We do so much together, even later in life now, we enjoy each others company and shenanigans. I could only hope to be as great of a man as him.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 03:28 xXBatmanXx

Got redirected to

http://www.myspace.com/intgd/splash.html

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 03:01 Rigs

sauron wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 19:34:
Good dads are under-rated and often taken for granted, but you really miss them when they're gone.

Indeed, three years on for me and all I want is to hear his voice again...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 19:34 sauron

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 15:58:
Salute

A big thank you and raise of the glass to those who deserve it.
Was cool to see all of the NFL stuff yesterday, unfortunately we had sold 2 tickets of our 4 since our wives couldn't go, but then Saturday my father fell from a pretty decent height onto his dome in the garage and had to get some staples in his skull.

/salute here as well. Sorry to hear about your father, but glad he's OK.

Kittens!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 17:49 Cutter

nin wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 15:59:
but then Saturday my father fell from a pretty decent height onto his dome in the garage and had to get some staples in his skull.

Ugh. Hope he gets better.

Yeah, knock wood, Bats. Hope that's all it is. Get your pop a good trocken reisling from the Mosel. That'll cheer him up.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 17:22 Mr. Tact

Amazing that he needed eight staples and yet was considering not seeing a doctor -- sounds like a tough old man.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 16:14 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 15:59:
but then Saturday my father fell from a pretty decent height onto his dome in the garage and had to get some staples in his skull.

Yea, thanks, he is good. I haven't seen him, his wife called me hysterical when it happened, and I convinced him to go in (Stubborn German male) and doc said everything I did, but then added 8 staples. hahahahah

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 15:59 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 15:58 xXBatmanXx

Salute

A big thank you and raise of the glass to those who deserve it.
Was cool to see all of the NFL stuff yesterday, unfortunately we had sold 2 tickets of our 4 since our wives couldn't go, but then Saturday my father fell from a pretty decent height onto his dome in the garage and had to get some staples in his skull.

He is fine, but was unable to attend the game so we sold the other 2 tickets as him and I were scheduled to go. I really enjoy going to the Sunday games that are around today, as I have the utmost respect for service peoples.

Cheers. Please take a moment to remember not only those who serve, but their families and loved ones as well.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 14:39 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 12:09:
I hate when they say 'support our troops' when they really mean is support our 'war'. They turn it around that if you are anti-war you are anti-troops. Anyone who says 'supports our troops' immediately implies jingoism most of the time.

I 'support our troops' in the name of defense but not in the name of pointless or imperialistic war efforts that typically benefit corporate or political ambitions. Bring them back home and give them jobs as police officers to resolve the growing crime taking place domestically. Bring them back home so that we can have more paramedics and firefighters. The troops are the most disciplined and organized public service work force. We need them here, helping our own people.

Support our troops. Bring them home!

Spot on. as I said yesterday - and have always said - supporting the troops means not putting them in harms way unless it's absolutely necessary. As far as I'm concerned the last necessary war that was fought was WWII. That aside, the American military is seriously over bloated anyway and if you want to talk about wasteful spending. Oi vey! What America needs now is a new deal focusing on rebuilding infrastructure.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 12:42 Verno

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:44:
And here's to the many teams around the NFL that did not do what they were supposed to do yesterday! Sumbitches!

Yeah it was a rough week. At least I got the Saints/Falcons game though, I can feel good about that.

Jets are going to win soon guys, seriously its going to happen.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 12:09 BobBob

I hate when they say 'support our troops' when they really mean is support our 'war'. They turn it around that if you are anti-war you are anti-troops. Anyone who says 'supports our troops' immediately implies jingoism most of the time.

I 'support our troops' in the name of defense but not in the name of pointless or imperialistic war efforts that typically benefit corporate or political ambitions. Bring them back home and give them jobs as police officers to resolve the growing crime taking place domestically. Bring them back home so that we can have more paramedics and firefighters. The troops are the most disciplined and organized public service work force. We need them here, helping our own people.

Support our troops. Bring them home!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 11:44 Cutter

And here's to the many teams around the NFL that did not do what they were supposed to do yesterday! Sumbitches!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 11:15 Creston

MajorD wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:28:
A warm and sincere 'Thank You' to all our Veterans.

Absolutely. Thank you for your service!

Creston

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo