Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed

Randy Pitchford tweets a response to a question about whether players can expect more classes for Borderlands 2, considering the success of the mechromancer DLC for the role-playing shooter sequel (thanks nin). For those unwilling to read through his entire answer, the indication is that there is indeed reason to be optimistic that they still plan on adding additional characters to the game. For those interested in the nuance, here's an exact quote of his reply: "yes."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 14, 2012, 09:41 Mr. Tact

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 18:47:
Still on the fence about buying this. Is it still active within the blues community? Should I just buy Torchlight 2 instead to be less bored in general?
I haven't tried BL2 either, but I've played the heck out of TL2. TL2 is easily worth the $20. If BL2 was $20 bucks I'd try it also, but can't convince myself to spend $60 on it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 13, 2012, 23:13 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:17:
Verno wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 09:41:
I can't see myself getting more class DLC for this, the characters aren't distinguished enough for my taste. Zer0 was the only one that felt unique but even he was an amalgamation of Mordecai stuff. I'd like them to really go back to the drawing board for class designs in the future instead of making so many shared talents and mechanics simply because it reduces workload.

Zer0 is different enough for my tastes, but I can't get the melee build to work in TVHM. It just doesn't do enough damage to kill anything in the later areas, so then you're reduced to being a Law and Order melee-spammer, which is quite frankly boring as hell.

A Kunai/Sniper build works much better. Which makes him... Mordecai.

So yeah, I agree, I think the "new" classes can be taken with a giant grain of salt. I finished TVHM with Turret guy, succesfully solo'd Terramorphous with him, can't get Vermivorous to spawn no matter what I try, so eh.

And the loot remains shitty.

Creston

I got him to kill everything with one shot melee when using a class specific item that does +melee% and also an artifact with the same effect. Also the weapon I am using is bladed and does +200%. So I am up around almost 300%+ melee when in Deception. Plus the Deception buffs....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 13, 2012, 10:17 Endo

Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 19:51:
I was afraid "True Vault Hunter" mode wouldn't be doable in singleplayer, but as it turns out my Commando is doing pretty well. Every fight is a serious affair though, and once I reach the level cap I'm afraid not having a level advantage over the last enemies will make it a major slog or even nigh impossible. I haven't tried Assassin or Mechromancer yet; maybe I'll start over as one of them instead. The differences between the Gunzerker and the Commando aren't the most distinct class differences I've ever seen but each did have a somewhat unique feel.
I was able to complete TVH mode solo on my commando without undue difficulty. It was definitely harder than the first playthrough, but still very doable. Also completed the pirate DLC solo in TVH mode. I used the guerilla skill tree to max out the damage on the turret, which never really falls off.

25. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 12, 2012, 11:25 Creston

Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 23:08:
I totally agree on the Eridium thing - I was disappointed to learn there's absolutely nothing to do with it once you've maxed out the black market store. Why not make another place where you can take your excess Eridium and use it to craft a random rare alien weapon or something? It seems like such a waste to still be finding it and have absolutely no use for it.

You need to pay an entry fee of 4 Eridium to fight Terramorphous. But that's about the only use.

Edit : :-ninja-: d by PHJF.

Creston

24. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 12, 2012, 11:23 Creston

Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 19:51:
I was afraid "True Vault Hunter" mode wouldn't be doable in singleplayer, but as it turns out my Commando is doing pretty well. Every fight is a serious affair though, and once I reach the level cap I'm afraid not having a level advantage over the last enemies will make it a major slog or even nigh impossible.

It's not impossible, it just takes a really, really good weapon to make it easy. When you reach 50 pretty much everything else stays at 48-49. It's only a few monsters that go to 50, and then some bosses go to 51 or 52.

It's eminently doable if you have good weapons. Failing that, an Engineer build will work great. I had one that had a 35% bonus to cooldown, plus 5 on the first turret skill making it ten (so it fired 10 extra rounds and stayed for an additional 20 seconds), plus 4 on the skill that makes you do extra damage while the turret is up, and then another plus 5 (making it 10) on the skill that reduces the cooldown for the turret.

So I was able to crank out a shielded, slag and rockets firing turret about every 20 seconds. That helped me get through pretty much everything. Even if it died, I just hid for a bit and it could get back up in no time flat.

Of course, I had to get this mod from the golden chest, since the game would NEVER drop anything of this kind. In fact, throughout the entirety of TVHM, I saw less FEWER than ten purple drops and no oranges. So for 50 levels, my turret guy found 2 orange weapons. One at level 4 and one at level 18ish.

Woot, Gearbox... :\

Creston

23. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 12, 2012, 11:17 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 09:41:
I can't see myself getting more class DLC for this, the characters aren't distinguished enough for my taste. Zer0 was the only one that felt unique but even he was an amalgamation of Mordecai stuff. I'd like them to really go back to the drawing board for class designs in the future instead of making so many shared talents and mechanics simply because it reduces workload.

Zer0 is different enough for my tastes, but I can't get the melee build to work in TVHM. It just doesn't do enough damage to kill anything in the later areas, so then you're reduced to being a Law and Order melee-spammer, which is quite frankly boring as hell.

A Kunai/Sniper build works much better. Which makes him... Mordecai.

So yeah, I agree, I think the "new" classes can be taken with a giant grain of salt. I finished TVHM with Turret guy, succesfully solo'd Terramorphous with him, can't get Vermivorous to spawn no matter what I try, so eh.

And the loot remains shitty.

Creston

22. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 12, 2012, 09:41 Verno

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

21. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 12, 2012, 05:39 theyarecomingforyou

There should be a one-armed bandit for eridium that has a better chance of giving you rare items.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 12, 2012, 00:20 Tomas

Yeah...but that's pretty much the only thing you can use it for. I agree it would be really cool if you could use it at some crafting shop or something to apply new random results to gear or something. Maybe have Markus have quests for random guns to bring as well as eridium for which he makes you new custom guns or something. I dunno. Anything would be nice. =)  

19. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 23:26 PHJF

I totally agree on the Eridium thing - I was disappointed to learn there's absolutely nothing to do with it once you've maxed out the black market store.

Four eridium are required to unlock the battle with Terramorphous.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 23:20 Bradley

For the love of god give us a button on the vending machine than refills the ammo for ALL guns at once in ONE click.  

17. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 23:09 nin

My other big complaint is that eridium is mostly useless. It used to be a super fun part of the game, where we were all excited when we collected it, but now I'm maxed out and it has actually affected part of the fun of the game.

I'm maxed out as well, and hope that's addressed in one of the expansions (preferably SOON). I swear, I get more drops of 4 now that I can't use them, than ever before.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 23:08 Prez

I totally agree on the Eridium thing - I was disappointed to learn there's absolutely nothing to do with it once you've maxed out the black market store. Why not make another place where you can take your excess Eridium and use it to craft a random rare alien weapon or something? It seems like such a waste to still be finding it and have absolutely no use for it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 23:01 Tomas

61 hours in and level 27. Playing mostly coop with 2-4 friends, but solo when nobody is around and I'm feeling the need to shoot some stuff. I'm finding that B2 is about on par with 1. It's a better PC version, clearly, and I'm glad the humor seems on par as well. The gear is definitely a bit hard to come by, but I think if you're in for the long haul, that's probably a good thing. So far we've not run into areas that are too hard to beat. I think we are for the most part over-levelled...which could come back to bite us on the second play through (which I really loved in B1).

The flow definitely changes, though, based on the difficulty of a given area. Sometimes you get into the run and beatdown mode where you don't even both to take cover or think, but then you hit some areas where the difficulty spikes and suddenly you need to start playing tactically again and trying to avoid just sucking up bullets. It's actually kind of fun that way, imo.

But yeah...I hate getting non elemental weapons because you feel like it's right off the bat an inferior weapon. Also, it's really frustrating to get crappy oranges...haha. It's quite disheartening to see the color string and race over only to find it's a piece of junk that nobody wants.

My other big complaint is that eridium is mostly useless. It used to be a super fun part of the game, where we were all excited when we collected it, but now I'm maxed out and it has actually affected part of the fun of the game. One of our guys actually quit over it. Silly, perhaps, but his point was that he doesn't have anything he's really working towards anymore so he's gone back to Diablo 3 of all things. Whether he has a good reason or not, I do wish Eridium had a point (I know there's a use for it at some point later which we haven't reached yet, but that isn't really enough a sufficient reason to collect it, especially not at this point - not to mention the 99 piece cap)

Anyhow, point of this giant blabberfest? I think the game is fun, and I'm really hoping that with each DLC (and hopefully some free ones in there as well?) that the game just grows and expands in good ways. It's great fun as is, but I can see a number of easy fixes to improve things.

14. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 22:10 nin

my only issue with it was that it isn't an elemental weapon. I almost exclusively use elemental weapons

Pretty much my rule, too: if it's not elemental, it generally gets tossed. I keep SMGs, RLs, and snipers of pretty much every flavor. But that also hurts my storage space while in the field.

13. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 21:56 Prez

I have similar problems with rarity of orange drops (3 in ~200 hours with a fourth bought from a vending machine). Luckily I found one last week that was actually a great find - my only issue with it was that it isn't an elemental weapon. I almost exclusively use elemental weapons, but this assault rifle is so good I make the very rare exception for it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 21:52 xXBatmanXx

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 17:49:
Well, new classes wouldn't necessarily be BAD, but I'd appreciate Gearbox looking at drop rates on rares, and revise their decision to only have certain bosses drop weapons that are worth a damn, more than anything else.

Also, fire whoever came up with "Uses X bullets per shot" as a game mechanic... ugh.

I have exactly 3 orange finds in 1 play through and 80+ hours. It is not dissimilar to the rate drop for D3. The 3 oranges I found were all garbage.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 19:58 nin

The differences between the Gunzerker and the Commando aren't the most distinct class differences I've ever seen

I think that's my biggest fear for any new classes. People are already saying they don't see a lot of differences between certain ones. Anything new would have to be really well thought out and different to be a hit.

10. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 19:51 Prez

I was afraid "True Vault Hunter" mode wouldn't be doable in singleplayer, but as it turns out my Commando is doing pretty well. Every fight is a serious affair though, and once I reach the level cap I'm afraid not having a level advantage over the last enemies will make it a major slog or even nigh impossible. I haven't tried Assassin or Mechromancer yet; maybe I'll start over as one of them instead. The differences between the Gunzerker and the Commando aren't the most distinct class differences I've ever seen but each did have a somewhat unique feel.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2012, 20:01.

- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 11, 2012, 19:49 RailWizard

People are still playing this shit?  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo