Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Multiplayer Details

A lengthy post on the Roberts Space Industries Website offers new information on Star Citizen, the upcoming crowd-sourced space simulator from Wing Commander architect Chris Roberts (thanks Bruno and Matt). Chris describes his unrealized ambitions for an MMO version of Freelancer, and how: "With Star Citizen I was determined to combine what I wanted to achieve with Freelancer, with the personal experience that I think both Wing Commander and Privateer were so strong with." He goes into great detail on multiplayer gameplay and balance after outlining how multiplayer will dispense with the kind of shards of which he is not a fan:

In Star Citizen there is going to be one persistent universe server that everyone exists on. So you will never be separated from your friends, and if you want you’ll be able to join up and adventure together, you can. Due to the fidelity of the dogfighting and physics simulation we can’t however handle thousands of players in the same area of space. Even if you had enough internet bandwidth to handle the data going back and forth and a super computer for the server there’s no PC, even with quad SLI that could render that many spaceships with Star Citizen’s fidelity.

So the “magic” of Star Citizen’s multiplayer design is how we combine a persistent universe with a more traditional (and easier to implement) temporary multiplayer “battle” instance.

The way it works is that the persistent universe server, which we’re calling the Galaxy Server, keeps track of all players’ assets, group relationships and locations inside the Star Citizen universe. As the Galaxy server isn’t handling any realtime action it can handle our complete player base, which right now would be about 45,000 players, but is designed to be able to scale to millions if need be. The other key thing the Galaxy Server does is dynamically place players based on their location, skill level, alignment and player versus player (PvP) preference into battle instances. Think of a “battle” instance like a Battlefield 3 multiplayer session or a World of Tanks Battle with the key difference that the selection of players is done transparently and is “in fiction”.

View
21. Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Nov 12, 2012, 02:24 Prez

Fantaz wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 01:25:
Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 16:00:
The more details I hear about this game the less interested about it I become. Does anyone not remember what a fantastic singleplayer game Wing Commander was? I so don't care about all of this multiplayer talk.

This is 2012 (almost 2013), not every game needs to ship with both singleplayer and multiplayer components. I believe all games should be having SP and MP sold separately, so if you want to play MP you buy that or if you want both you can buy the bundle deal. Also that way you can continue development and support independently.

That's fine (thanks for the year update though - I lost my calendar and was fuzzy on what year it was ). I prefer games be one or the other myself, not both, as it tends to make both versions weaker than they would have been otherwise. I just can't help be disappointed that the first game after what seems like forever from the best space opera game designer on the planet is so multiplayer-centric (based on the info so far anyway). Wing Commander is in my top 5 most favorite games of all time, and it neither had nor needed multiplayer. I'd be much happier if they were planning on working on two separate games as you suggest, but it seems that they are promising the moon, and when coming down to reality I expect the singleplayer will suffer since multiplayer with its microtransactions is where the money is at.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 11, 14:44 Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details The Half Elf
  2. Nov 11, 14:47 Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Cutter
  3. Nov 11, 15:21  Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Wildone
  4. Nov 11, 15:32  Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details nin
  5. Nov 11, 16:00   Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Prez
  6. Nov 11, 16:21    Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details jdreyer
  19. Nov 12, 01:25    Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Fantaz
  20. Nov 12, 01:46     Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Wildone
>> 21. Nov 12, 02:24     Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Prez