Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Descent Fan Remake

The Descent to UDK Website reveals plans for a fan-developed remake of Descent, the six-degrees-of-freedom tunnel shooter from days gone by (thanks LittleMe). The UDK project is expected to be made available early next year, and this experimental gameplay trailer shows early progress towards that goal. Here is the project leader's outline of their first release:

• a retelling of Descent's story
  • the original levels remade, with an emphasis on a thriller/horror atmosphere
  • remodeled and animated original robots with advanced AI
  • all the weapons from Descent with potential new ones mixed in
  • a high-detail Pyro-GX ship model with a 3D cockpit view
  • more diverse gameplay with a strong focus on the basics that made Descent great

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Kali! Nov 13, 2012, 00:19 Ant

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 23:49:
Ant wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 23:16:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 22:34:
Ant wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 12:27:
When was that? I remember the author changed master server or something. Look at kali.net.

The server lists for any game (quake 3, etc) don't work for some reason on both of my computers, I tried opening ports on router, etc, nothing seems to work, I can connect to CHAT servers fine but the server lists for games doesn't work and I have no clue why.
My Kali client told me that I haven't updated since 2005-11-4-1! So I checked the game servers lobbies. Sheesh, they're empty!

Can you ping servers at all (quake 3)? At least I'll know if it is truly dead or not on my end.
Yes, I an ping all servers. Also, my Kali attempted a simple "firewall" test and it failed... message.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Kali! Nov 12, 2012, 23:49 Suppa7

Ant wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 23:16:
When was that? I remember the author changed master server or something. Look at kali.net.

The server lists for any game (quake 3, etc) don't work for some reason on both of my computers, I tried opening ports on router, etc, nothing seems to work, I can connect to CHAT servers fine but the server lists for games doesn't work and I have no clue why.
My Kali client told me that I haven't updated since 2005-11-4-1! So I checked the game servers lobbies. Sheesh, they're empty!

Can you ping servers at all (quake 3)? At least I'll know if it is truly dead or not on my end.

41. Re: Kali! Nov 12, 2012, 23:16 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

40. Re: Kali! Nov 12, 2012, 22:34 Suppa7

39. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 19:02 eRe4s3r

Nice ^^ Thinking about it, I never liked any control settings in Descent back in the days. Nowadays it could be BARELY acceptable with a 5+ button mouse or maybe with a dual-stick x360 style gamepad.  

38. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 17:27 edaciousx

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 21:24:
I never got how anyone could play this with a joystick, you can't strafe with it properly, so joystick users were my favorite targets in the school LAN event (12 players) you always knew who they were because when you strafed around them they couldn't hit shit unless they stopped moving.

/* useless info *\

This is why I used WASD and a joystick.

37. Re: Kali! Nov 12, 2012, 12:27 Ant

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 11:33:
Ant wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 09:52:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 09:42:
Ant wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 08:41:
I remember playing time limited Decent 1 demo's multiplayer on Kali.

Kali days rocked *brofist*
Ya. *brofist back* BTW, Kali is sort of alive today, but not popular like it used to be.

Last time I checked the server lists didn't work properly.

36. Re: Kali! Nov 12, 2012, 11:33 Suppa7

Ant wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 09:52:

Ya. *brofist back* BTW, Kali is sort of alive today, but not popular like it used to be.

Last time I checked the server lists didn't work properly.

35. Re: Kali! Nov 12, 2012, 09:52 Ant

34. Re: Kali! Nov 12, 2012, 09:42 Suppa7

33. Kali! Nov 12, 2012, 08:41 Ant

32. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 08:10 Fantaz

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 04:36:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 01:07:
On top of all that, I feel the game favored people who had a joystick with a hat switch, which was never a huge majority of PC gamers. I'm sure there are people who did great with mouse and keyboard, but I dunno; the one guy in my dorm who had the fancy Logitech stick just kept slaughtering the rest of us.

I was a originally a keyboard player and no, playing with a joystick in descent is lot harder then playing with a mouse and keyboard. It has a huge learning curve, only when you achieve mastery can you compete with peolpe who use mouse and keyboard.

The mouse still is equal to the joystick for descent, what ticks off FPS players is the ships physics that doesn't have 'instant' turning so they can't just flick 180 degree's instantly. People like easy games. Descent is basically one of the most manliest videogames on the planet because fighting in 3D is fucking hard and anyone who picks up descent deserves props for that alone!

Ooohh... i like that. Descent being the "manliest" video game.

31. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 06:33 Suppa7

TheVocalMinority wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 06:29:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 22:01:

The real problem is the guys behind descent had crappy game design skills and basically stumbled into success. Descent 3 ended up selling poorly because they had no idea what they were doing. Levels were too big, getting rid of mines was a bad idea because you could no longer pace the action properly.

I picked up Descent 3 from GOG a while back and had a blast with it. Started off using joystick which is what I used way back when in the original but found mouse was a lot better this time. Unfortunately I came up against a boss I couldn't beat, the homunculus, apparently he is made a lot nastier by the higher FPS.

Yeah they implemented mouselook in descent 3, if you turn on 'flight sim' the ship physics goes back to limited turn rate. I didn't mind mouselook players. I knew back then when we were fighting over mouselook vs limited ship turn physics that new players needed an on-ramp and having them at least PLAY THE GAME would allow for larger playerbase but they never really implemented it correctly. What's worse is the guys behind DXX-rebirth (dxx-rebirth.com) refused to add mouselook to single player portion of descent port for D1 and D2 and I'm like this game is decades old already, stop arguing over mouselook because we need more descent players!

Minerwars did a great job making descent style combat work with a mouse, it's a tragedy the weapon and combat dynamics look like they are going to suck though. But you might like it, I'm an experienced gruff player and I'm pretty demanding. Minerwars is basically 'descent light'. They got a demo you can check out at their site.

http://www.minerwars.com/

It's also too bad mouselook was still not implemented in Descent 3 correctly especially when they patched the game a few times and mouselook still didn't get fixed. lol.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2012, 07:04.

30. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 06:29 TheVocalMinority

The real problem is the guys behind descent had crappy game design skills and basically stumbled into success. Descent 3 ended up selling poorly because they had no idea what they were doing. Levels were too big, getting rid of mines was a bad idea because you could no longer pace the action properly.

I picked up Descent 3 from GOG a while back and had a blast with it. Started off using joystick which is what I used way back when in the original but found mouse was a lot better this time. Unfortunately I came up against a boss I couldn't beat, the homunculus, apparently he is made a lot nastier by the higher FPS.

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

29. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 06:15 Suppa7

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 05:24:
You might be right. I remember Descent being incredible when it was first released and I had a great time with it. I know I won't get that feeling back by touching any of the old Descents again.

I wish the fan team luck but I doubt they'll bring that feeling back.

Nah he's just a FPS retard, thats what we descenters called FPS whores back in the day when we tried to introduce them to multiplayer descent and they got their asses handed to them and left never to return. It's like watching console halo players try to play FPS PC players, same thing happened with descent. Descent has a skill barrier many can't cross so what they really are saying is "I couldn't play descent well therefore it sucks". He thinks borderlands 2 is game of the year quality when it's a me too consolized FPS. He's a modern gamer his opinions on PC gaming = garbage. I bet 99% he never played descent seriously in terms of its multiplayer or he would have never said such a thing about it. I loved FPS games too back then (played in top quake clans) so I can insult my fellow FPS players who couldn't hack 3D because it was 'too complicated'. STFU newb and learn 360 combat, you narrow fps tard.

Descent is the pinnacle of fully 3D first person combat, having to fight in 360 is demanding and thrilling, it's that most gamers suck at videogames and hence any game they suck at they like to insult and look down upon as lesser.

If you don't believe it think of the war between battlefield, call of duty and doom/ut/quake players. Watch the fps players fight over first person shooter design sometime, pretty funny stuff.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2012, 06:38.

28. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 05:24 Fibrocyte

Closed Betas wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 15:18:
somethings are better left as great memories in the back of my mind.. I think this will be one of them.

You might be right. I remember Descent being incredible when it was first released and I had a great time with it. I know I won't get that feeling back by touching any of the old Descents again.

I wish the fan team luck but I doubt they'll bring that feeling back.

27. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 04:44 coldcut

On a semi-related note, Descent 1-3 are still 50% off on GoG: http://www.gog.com/en/promo/interplay_price_change_promo_09_11_12  

26. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 04:36 Suppa7

On top of all that, I feel the game favored people who had a joystick with a hat switch, which was never a huge majority of PC gamers. I'm sure there are people who did great with mouse and keyboard, but I dunno; the one guy in my dorm who had the fancy Logitech stick just kept slaughtering the rest of us.

I was a originally a keyboard player and no, playing with a joystick in descent is lot harder then playing with a mouse and keyboard. It has a huge learning curve, only when you achieve mastery can you compete with peolpe who use mouse and keyboard.

The mouse still is equal to the joystick for descent, what ticks off FPS players is the ships physics that doesn't have 'instant' turning so they can't just flick 180 degree's instantly. People like easy games. Descent is basically one of the most manliest videogames on the planet because fighting in 3D is fucking hard and anyone who picks up descent deserves props for that alone!

25. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 01:33 Fantaz

somethings are better left as great memories in the back of my mind.. I think this will be one of them.

Descent 2 multiplayer has to be one of the top 10 gaming experiences of all time. There is nothing like fully 3D multiplayer battles in a contained space/arena like Descent.

The terrain system was a giant wash because weapons in descent were designed for small scale battles inside arenas, not for huge distance outside flying. So descent 3 ended up failing at retail. Not to mention FPS games have basically encapsulated vehicular shooters making them redundant, people want things like Halo and Just cause and GTA where you can just have a world and choose to be man with a gun or jump in a vehicle. Being restrained to vehicles would never wash with a modern audience of a large size I don't think.

Reality is descent was also newbie unfriendly, most FPS gamers got slaughtered because they can't handle true 3D movement. That's why first person shooters caught on - they were easier to control and jump into then descent.

Descent being fully 3D gave people motion sickness as well. So it had a few things going against it.

My joysticks have hat switches! Seriously, I needed a reason to keep these because I was about to throw them away if there were no games I could play with them. The trick now is gonna be to find serial port legacy drivers or something to get them to work with Win7.

24. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 01:07 Orogogus

Descent 2 multiplayer has to be one of the top 10 gaming experiences of all time. There is nothing like fully 3D multiplayer battles in a contained space/arena like Descent.

The terrain system was a giant wash because weapons in descent were designed for small scale battles inside arenas, not for huge distance outside flying. So descent 3 ended up failing at retail. Not to mention FPS games have basically encapsulated vehicular shooters making them redundant, people want things like Halo and Just cause and GTA where you can just have a world and choose to be man with a gun or jump in a vehicle. Being restrained to vehicles would never wash with a modern audience of a large size I don't think.

Reality is descent was also newbie unfriendly, most FPS gamers got slaughtered because they can't handle true 3D movement. That's why first person shooters caught on - they were easier to control and jump into then descent.

Descent being fully 3D gave people motion sickness as well. So it had a few things going against it.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo