Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Descent Fan Remake

The Descent to UDK Website reveals plans for a fan-developed remake of Descent, the six-degrees-of-freedom tunnel shooter from days gone by (thanks LittleMe). The UDK project is expected to be made available early next year, and this experimental gameplay trailer shows early progress towards that goal. Here is the project leader's outline of their first release:

• a retelling of Descent's story
  • the original levels remade, with an emphasis on a thriller/horror atmosphere
  • remodeled and animated original robots with advanced AI
  • all the weapons from Descent with potential new ones mixed in
  • a high-detail Pyro-GX ship model with a 3D cockpit view
  • more diverse gameplay with a strong focus on the basics that made Descent great

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 00:34 UnderLord

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 22:02:
UnderLord wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:18:
Let's wait and see what Interplay have to say about that, shall we?
http://www.interplay.com/games/descent.php

Interplay is basically a dead company with no money, they went bankrupt. They exist now basically on paper only. They have no funds to develop any of the IP they own.

Check out their history.

http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Interplay

Must be a different Interplay!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplay_Entertainment

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 12, 2012, 00:33 UnderLord

meant to quote, sorry  

21. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 22:31 Ant

Fantaz wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 21:18:
I would dust off and plug in my joystick for this...
Ditto. However, free time is a problem. I just start catching up with three days of BN. :/

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

20. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 22:31 Ant

Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:07:
Now that I'm older (and possessing the easily messed up equilibrium that comes with aging) I highly doubt I could play Descent again without experiencing serious motion sickness. "Which way was up again? Bring me a bucket!!!"
I got dizzy from that trailer!!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 22:02 Suppa7

UnderLord wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:18:

Interplay is basically a dead company with no money, they went bankrupt. They exist now basically on paper only. They have no funds to develop any of the IP they own.

Check out their history.

http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Interplay

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2012, 22:19.

18. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 22:01 Suppa7

Closed Betas wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 15:18:
somethings are better left as great memories in the back of my mind.. I think this will be one of them.

Descent 2 multiplayer has to be one of the top 10 gaming experiences of all time. There is nothing like fully 3D multiplayer battles in a contained space/arena like Descent.

The real problem is the guys behind descent had crappy game design skills and basically stumbled into success. Descent 3 ended up selling poorly because they had no idea what they were doing. Levels were too big, getting rid of mines was a bad idea because you could no longer pace the action properly.

The terrain system was a giant wash because weapons in descent were designed for small scale battles inside arenas, not for huge distance outside flying. So descent 3 ended up failing at retail. Not to mention FPS games have basically encapsulated vehicular shooters making them redundant, people want things like Halo and Just cause and GTA where you can just have a world and choose to be man with a gun or jump in a vehicle. Being restrained to vehicles would never wash with a modern audience of a large size I don't think.

Reality is descent was also newbie unfriendly, most FPS gamers got slaughtered because they can't handle true 3D movement. That's why first person shooters caught on - they were easier to control and jump into then descent.

Descent being fully 3D gave people motion sickness as well. So it had a few things going against it.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2012, 22:14.

17. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 21:56 Suppa7

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 21:24:
I never got how anyone could play this with a joystick, you can't strafe with it properly, so joystick users were my favorite targets in the school LAN event (12 players) you always knew who they were because when you strafed around them they couldn't hit shit unless they stopped moving.

/* useless info *\

You had to have a 3D pro to understand the beauty that is Descent. Like anything it just takes a bit of practice. It's just that descent never became as big as first person shooters.

16. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 21:24 eRe4s3r

I never got how anyone could play this with a joystick, you can't strafe with it properly, so joystick users were my favorite targets in the school LAN event (12 players) you always knew who they were because when you strafed around them they couldn't hit shit unless they stopped moving.

/* useless info *\

15. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 21:18 Fantaz

I would dust off and plug in my joystick for this...  

14. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 21:06 Mordecai Walfish

It appears they are looking for some help getting this finished in a timely fashion:

"While additional modelers and sound artists are welcome, the project could especially use another VFX and concept artist as well as someone who is adept at making textures and materials."

13. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 21:02 Alamar

Nuukee wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 16:07:
Cool idea and looks indeed great.
But: "the original levels remade" ...that map ist Deck16 from Unreal / Unreal Tournament!!

So for the first half or so, I was like... Ok... they just added freedom of orientation, oh and new weapons... To a map included with UDK...

Then he spun around the corner and the old school bots attacked, which I thought was awesome... They look just as bad as I remember (a good thing heh).

So ya, I'm looking forward to seeing something they put together fully to hold off judgement, but it's looking like it could be interesting... lawsuit pending...

Too bad they can't use all that effort and make something original, even if it plays very similarly... Using the name to get recognition is not the way to go...

-Alamar

12. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 20:18 UnderLord

11. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 20:07 Prez

Now that I'm older (and possessing the easily messed up equilibrium that comes with aging) I highly doubt I could play Descent again without experiencing serious motion sickness. "Which way was up again? Bring me a bucket!!!"  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 20:03 Smellfinger

Closed Betas wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 15:18:
somethings are better left as great memories in the back of my mind.. I think this will be one of them.

Nah, Descent has held up every bit as well as Doom. The formula is still fresh today since it never caught on and nobody bothered to refine it. Forsaken is the closest thing there is to a Descent clone and it came out a decade and a half ago.

9. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 16:37 Kajetan

Nuukee wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 16:07:
But: "the original levels remade" ...that map ist Deck16 from Unreal / Unreal Tournament!!
From the website:

"The above video shows what I came up with after a few weeks of research and programming; using a few of Descent's original robot models, an Unreal Tournament map that came with UDK, and some modified particle systems from existing weapons."

8. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 16:30 Tolwyn

You need to check out Descent Rebirth. Updated this year. OpenGL pure awesomeness. And you can get the assets for under $10 at Good Old Games.

7. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 16:29 CrashTestDummy

Early 2013 seems far too optimistic since they seem to have done very little work. The ships dont have half the detail that the environment has. Will be interesting to see how this ends up. However with my (limited) experience in game development I feel that releasing a solid, bug free game on today's engines might take upwards of 10-11 months, especially from the state this demo is at, and with the scope of the project (porting all the original descent levels ), might take even a year and a half.  

6. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 16:07 Nuukee

5. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 15:49 Kajetan

Power to the people! As with all fan projects, i applaude them for making a game instead of only complaining about games, like i do

*bookmarked*

4. Re: Descent Fan Remake Nov 11, 2012, 15:18 Closed Betas

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo