Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling game on Steam for the week:

1. Football Manager 2013
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. Assassin's Creed III
  5. Grand Theft Auto Bundle
  6. Natural Selection 2
  7. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  8. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
  9. Borderlands 2
  10. Towns

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 15, 2012, 02:08 Jerykk

jimnms wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 07:51:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 22:39:
jimnms wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:25:
I was about to buy this a couple of days ago, but decided to check out some previews first. After reading that there is no first person option now like there was in previous Hitman games, this is a no buy for me.

People actually played Hitman in first-person..? That's like playing Elder Scrolls or the newer FO games in third-person. :|

And yet people do play Elder Scrolls and FO in 3rd person. I don't criticize anyone that would want to play in 3rd person, it's their preference, but at least in those games you have the option. It has been an option in previous Hitman games, so I don't understand why they took it out.

I thought it was only an option in Blood Money..? In any case, why do you feel the need to play the game in first-person? You don't need to shoot any guns (in fact, you shouldn't be shooting any guns) so aiming isn't really an issue. You also need to see what disguise you're currently wearing. Spatial awareness is handy too.

If we were talking about Thief, I would understand your complaint. But the Hitman games have always been designed for third-person. The first-person mode in Blood Money was just tacked on, probably per publisher request so they could try to appeal to the FPS demographic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 12:48 Elessar

Quinn wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 07:12:
I cant believe people pay €60,- for CoD:BO2. You can get it for €33,- at WOWHD.

People are crazy.

I see it for €40 ($51) on there now, wonder if the price went up. How are they able to offer these so cheap, do they just sell keys and are they reputable?

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 09:36 spindoctor

Prez wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 01:28:
Well that sounds hopeful. I'd say I like to wait for PC version reviews but sadly most of the PC reviews done on ports today are done by reviewers who use a gamepad and mention precious little of the kinds of the PC-specific things PC gamers are interested in.

Square Enix has a decent record recently of doing right by the PC versions of their games. Deus Ex was well done as was Sleeping Dogs. The Hitman Sniper Challenge was also pretty good so it bodes well for the full game. I think Nixxes is doing the PC port (same guys who did DXHR).

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 08:53 Slashman

Hey...I play/played Skyrim in third person with no issues. Also, my 5 or 6 animation mods have made the experience even better.

Hitman, I don't think I ever played in first person though.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 08:18 dj LiTh

I'm also amazed that someone played hitman series in first person. To each their own of course, but still amazed.  

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 08:00 Prez

Jerykk wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 02:16:
TotalBiscuit does a good job of covering things that PC gamers care about. DSOGaming as well.

Total Biscuit is the cheeky British chap that does the "W.T.F. is ____ ?" videos, right? Him I like. Informative and entertaining.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 07:51 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 22:39:
I was about to buy this a couple of days ago, but decided to check out some previews first. After reading that there is no first person option now like there was in previous Hitman games, this is a no buy for me.

People actually played Hitman in first-person..? That's like playing Elder Scrolls or the newer FO games in third-person. :|

And yet people do play Elder Scrolls and FO in 3rd person. I don't criticize anyone that would want to play in 3rd person, it's their preference, but at least in those games you have the option. It has been an option in previous Hitman games, so I don't understand why they took it out.

Steam Profile

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 07:12 Quinn

I cant believe people pay €60,- for CoD:BO2. You can get it for €33,- at WOWHD.

People are crazy.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 02:16 Jerykk

TotalBiscuit does a good job of covering things that PC gamers care about. DSOGaming as well.  

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 02:15 jimnms

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:56:
Is it fun? I'd not heard of it until it showed up on steam, but was hesitant to buy it.

Thanks!

I see what they're trying to accomplish, and that looks fun to me. What little I played was fun, but losing your entire town due to stupid AI behavior when they decide to go attack things while gathering stuff was frustrating.

Rather than micromanaging individual people, you're playing god or king or something and giving "todo" lists and priorities to the people. They'll get it done if and when they can, but that's where part of the problem lies. When resources near the town dry up early on before you can get a self sustaining village going, they venture farther out to gather the resources and run into bad things. Rather than run back to town for safety they go Rambo on it even if they don't stand a chance unarmed.

I haven't tried the latest version, so I don't know if they've ironed out the AI. The last one I played was v4 or v5, and the latest is v8. Even if they get the AI fixed, it doesn't look like it's going to be an easy game, and you may still find your town getting wiped out if you don't get them prepared. The maps are random, there are bad things on the surface, and dungeons full of bad things underground.

There is a demo available at http://www.townsgame.com/

Steam Profile

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 01:28 Prez

Well that sounds hopeful. I'd say I like to wait for PC version reviews but sadly most of the PC reviews done on ports today are done by reviewers who use a gamepad and mention precious little of the kinds of the PC-specific things PC gamers are interested in.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 12, 2012, 01:19 Fantaz

ASeven wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 23:23:
Absolution has leaked on consoles.

Apparently with rave reviews. Some calling Hitman: Absolution GOTY?

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 11, 2012, 23:23 ASeven

Absolution has leaked on consoles.  

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 11, 2012, 22:39 Jerykk

Techie714 © wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 14:29:
Picked up Hitman: Absolution - Professional Edition on GMG for $33.75 with that voucher discount going around. Still no good deals on Dishonored yet...

People actually played Hitman in first-person..? That's like playing Elder Scrolls or the newer FO games in third-person.

I was going to do the same before I read the preview on PC Gamer. It sounds like Absolution has what amounts to an "awesome button", and each hit is nowhere near as open-ended and freeform as they were in Bloodlines.

The Instinct mode and Mark & Execute crap are optional. Unlike Splinter Cell: Conviction, the levels aren't designed around the ability to shoot 4 dudes simultaneously. In fact, if you play on the higher difficulty modes, you don't even get those abilities.

As for level design, I've heard that there are more linear levels but still lots of traditional, open-ended levels as well. While I'd prefer that every level be open-ended, I'm willing to compromise if most of them are.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 11, 2012, 21:52 ASeven

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:56:
jimnms wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:35:
spindoctor wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 19:29:
If you're considering buying Towns, I'd recommend having a look at the Steam discussion forum for the game before deciding. There seem to be a lot of threads saying that the game is unfinished and still basically a beta.

Actually it's still in Alpha, but I don't see any indication of that on the Steam store page. I have this from a bundle, and it's been a while since I played it. The last time I played I couldn't stop the people from running off to attack things when they didn't have weapons. I would end up losing my entire population because they would see a monster when out gathering stuff go attack it and die. You can designate people as soldiers and equip them with weapons and armor.

Is it fun? I'd not heard of it until it showed up on steam, but was hesitant to buy it.

Thanks!

It is fun but I prefer Gnomoria to be honest. It's still in alpha and a lot of features are still going to be added from what I heard but you would do well to get it at a discount or on an indie bundle. If you have to get it now, get Gnomoria instead.

I also don't understand why Steam didn't mark this one as an ongoing alpha or like Don't Starve, it's not released but if you buy it you get access to the alpha/beta. Steam did bad in not marking this as an alpha game.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 11, 2012, 20:56 nin

jimnms wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:35:
If you're considering buying Towns, I'd recommend having a look at the Steam discussion forum for the game before deciding. There seem to be a lot of threads saying that the game is unfinished and still basically a beta.

Actually it's still in Alpha, but I don't see any indication of that on the Steam store page. I have this from a bundle, and it's been a while since I played it. The last time I played I couldn't stop the people from running off to attack things when they didn't have weapons. I would end up losing my entire population because they would see a monster when out gathering stuff go attack it and die. You can designate people as soldiers and equip them with weapons and armor.

Thanks!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 11, 2012, 20:35 jimnms

Steam Profile

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 11, 2012, 20:25 jimnms

Picked up Hitman: Absolution - Professional Edition on GMG for $33.75 with that voucher discount going around. Still no good deals on Dishonored yet...

Steam Profile

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 11, 2012, 19:58 Prez

I was going to do the same before I read the preview on PC Gamer. It sounds like Absolution has what amounts to an "awesome button", and each hit is nowhere near as open-ended and freeform as they were in Bloodlines. I am still interested, but I no longer trust it enough to preorder, even at a big discount. I have had some great luck with preorders recently with X-COM, Borderlands 2, and Torchlight 2, but I don't want to push it. I'm waiting on Bioshock Infinite as well.

As far as Dishonored goes, it will certainly be at least 33% off on the Steam Xmas sale next month. Not sure if I'm going to wait that long though myself.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2012, 20:16.

- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 11, 2012, 19:47 cronik

Dark Souls!  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo