Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy first birthday to Skyrim! More significantly, today is Veteran's Day here in the U.S., though it falling on Sunday means the Federal holiday for this will be observed tomorrow. Here's a salute to the vets for their bravery and sacrifice, and an expression of hope that we can improve the way we support our returning soldiers, as well as an expression of hope that we can improve our diplomacy so there are fewer soldiers sent out there in the first place.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Spy Car.
Media: Wolfenstein 3D in Real Life.
New James Bond Trailer.
What If Wes Anderson Directed the Next Star Wars Movie?
Drive a Car That's On Fire - Like a Boss.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 08:33 sauron

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 23:01:
You know what you, me, and Obama all have in common? None of us were born in Hawaii....

Enough politics on the board already!

Besides which, that statement is offensive. I don't care if the President is Dem or Republican, using that kind of language on or around Veteran's Day is unacceptable. Show some class.

Kittens!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 05:13 Prez

I'm not getting into this bullshit argument either but for clarity's sake, you have to consider that President Clinton couldn't have had ANY idea of the threat Bin Laden was going to be later on.

You and I at least aren't arguing - we are discussing. Obviously he couldn't have known the future impact of his decision to not give the order to fire the missile from the drone that had Bin Laden targeted. Even so, he was at the top of an international terrorist hit list and by US foreign policy at the time Clinton would have been well within his legal right to execute the kill order.

Understanding that admitting ANY error in judgment is guaranteed to be used as fodder in personal attacks against him, I still think that if he were honest with himself Clinton would consider not killing Bin Laden when he had the golden opportunity to be a huge mistake.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2012, 05:45.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 05:03 Rigs

Prez wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 04:54:
Credit does go to him for at least having the guts to give the order, something that Bill Clinton failed to do when the opportunity presented itself. Think of the lives THAT could have saved.

I'm not getting into this bullshit argument either but for clarity's sake, you have to consider that President Clinton couldn't have had ANY idea of the threat Bin Laden was going to be later on. Like terrorism before 9/11 and terrorism in the last few years, we thought that nothing could really happen here on US soil. People said it was possible but, honestly, who considered it a legit and imminent threat before 9/11? I know I didn't. The WTC bombing, the Cole bombing, the bombing of embassies in Africa, fine, but airliners into the WTC? Ask anyone before 9/11 if they thought Bin Laden, or really any terrorist group would have been capable of such a thing and you would have been laughed off as an extremist. Once again this country is becoming complacent in the security of it's boarders and transportation/infrastructure. They consider Bin Laden and Al Qaeda dead, the Taliban to be a regional problem and IRAQ to be over. I don't think it's fair to blame Clinton as not having the foresight to see what could have possibly happened in a worst case scenario, which barring an N/B/C strike, 9/11 was...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 04:54 Prez

I am mostly staying out of this one, (though suffice it to say I don't for a second buy into the rhetoric that many here will speak in total favor of Democrats and against Republicans - the realities are so far from your extreme biased spin that it really isn't even worth debating) but I feel the need to state that Obama did NOT kill Bin Laden. He sat in a safe comfy room and watched while our armed forces risked their lives on an incredibly dangerous mission to do it. Credit does go to him for at least having the guts to give the order, something that Bill Clinton failed to do when the opportunity presented itself. Think of the lives THAT could have saved.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 04:40 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 04:07:
But he's an intelligent, thoughtful, deliberate politician who has accomplished a lot and helped pulled this country back from the brink of disaster.

It seems he's a pretty good rapper as well...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 04:07 jdreyer

C'mon Bats, really? That's really specious logic: Chicago is the most corrupt city, Obama worked in Chicago, ergo Obama is corrupt.

Obama being special is not an opinion, it's empirical:
- Shepherded and signed into law comprehensive healthcare after five previous attempts failed.
- Passed the stimulus bill which got USA back on track. Compare to Europe, which went the austerity route and is stagnating.
- Bailed out the US Automakers. US autos are back on track and increasing market share. Even Republican auto company CEOs sing Obama's praises.
- Killed OBL in 2 years. GWB failed to do so in 6.
- The first president since FDR to be elected twice with more than 50% of the vote. Not even Reagan can claim that.
- Supported and signed Lilly Ledbetter law (more $$$ for your wife, Bats)
- and on and on. There's a list here, if you're interested.

Given that the Republicans goal is, "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." (According to Mitch McConnell) it's even more incredible he was able to accomplish what he did. The Republicans weren't interested in being an opposition party, they were a sabotage party. Their idea of compromise (from the minority) was "Do it 100% our way or F you." The Repubs had more filibusters under Obama than in the last 20 years combined. It's amazing he accomplished anything at all.

As for executive orders, Obama has made 139 or so (in 4 years). GWB made 291 (in 8). Reagan made 381 (in 8). GHWB made 166 (in 4). So Obama is about average, or a bit less even. So, what executive orders did Obama sign?
- “to encourage the exploration, development, and mining of strategic and critical materials and other materials.” Ooo, scary!
- He halted deportations of illegals who entered the USA as children and had no criminal record. Frightening!
- He modified welfare policy to allow states more control. He's a commie!
From the article:
Norman J. Ornstein of the American Enterprise Institute wrote to us in an email that Obama “does not hesitate to use executive authority, but he is well within the mainstream of his modern predecessors.”

As for Clinton not resigning, Petraeus chose to resign, Clinton didn't. When he didn't, he got impeached. Justice done.

Bats, you're a police officer, in a public union. The Republicans have vowed to shut down public unions. You think they'll stop with teachers? They won't be happy until you're patrolling the streets for 30K a year with no overtime pay. It's against your self interest to vote Republican, and yet you do. I really don't understand your thinking.

I don't agree with Obama on everything. His abuse of drones and civil liberties is atrocious. But he's an intelligent, thoughtful, deliberate politician who has accomplished a lot and helped pulled this country back from the brink of disaster. And compared to the Repubs, he is actually interested in governing and making citizens lives better, not "want to shrink [gov't] down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub." That's the diff between Repubs and Dems, and it shows Dems better in charts like gov spending and debt growth and job creation.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 02:18 xXBatmanXx

Keep on keeping on Cutter!

Enjoy your next 4 years of this country being run by a community leader from Chicago (is and always been most politically corrupt city outside of DC itself).

Your puppet is no different than those prior.....but keep on thinking he is some special thing.

No I am talking about orders outside of Congressional Rule. Yea, an executive order. As in, "this is happening cause I said so". The way Obama does everything. "Do this or else!" He is snake oil sales man who talks sweet. Lap it up brother!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 01:58 Acleacius

Please stop wasting your brain cells.

Jill Kelley, the woman who received emails from Broadwell that prompted her to alert FBI, reportedly works as a State Department military liaison.

According to the Washington Post, the woman was "frightened" for her safety and contacted the FBI for protection. The Post describes the emails as "threatening."

The New York Times reported that the woman's complaint led the FBI to learn of Petraeus' affair. According to the Times, officials decided to investigate Broadwell and stumbled upon emails that revealed the relationship.

Broadwell is an expert on military affairs and the author of a biography on Petraeus. She is married with two children and lives in Charlotte, N.C.

Petraeus is married to Holly Petraeus, who is the assistant director of service-member affairs at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

MSNBC broke the news of the affair, and Petraeus' decision to resign as CIA Director, on Friday.

According to the New York Times, some senior members of Congress were alerted of the news several hours before the story broke. White House officials knew as early as Wednesday night.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 01:25 Prez

Haha may as well lock this thread right now!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 01:06 Cutter

Petraeus is responsible for his own actions so how this is somehow Obama's fault boggles the mind.

Isn't that what the Dems are doing on a daily basis? Making the Fed Gov our personal nanny? Yea.....keep going, you are a riot.

Really? I love that Dittohead bullshit. Often repeated, never proven. Prove thats the case for Democrats and the opposite for Republicans. Prove it. You can't because like every other right-wing "fact" it's a fact that's been turned backwards and on its head.

Clinton got a blowjob and lied about it like any guy would. Nixon? War crimes and treason. Reagan? War crimes and treason. Dubya? War crimes and treason. Yeah, I can see where the "party of personal responsibility" so seriously believe in personal responsibility.

How many "executive orders" has YOUR President made? Go check that out and get back to me....it isn't as many as some people will make us beleive, but his are just as fucking frightening or even more than prior Presidents. Alas, your angel is here to save you.

You're confusing executive orders with presidential signing statements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signing_statement#Presidential_usage

Dubya 130 in 8
Obama 18 in 4

Sucks to be you, huh?

The GOP is the government of secrecy and running roughshod over the Constitution whenever its inconvenient and that's a well proven fact. Anything else you'd like to be corrected on? Don't you guys defending those pricks ever tire of being wrong all the time?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 23:59 mag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 23:01:
You know what you, me, and Obama all have in common? None of us were born in Hawaii....

Whoooooa. Really? REALLY?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 23:01 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 21:59:
How is Petraeus stepping down Obama's fault? I guess the affair was Obama's fault too? No one asked Petraeus to step down, he did so of his own volition because he probably wants to focus on his family. Things were so good with Clinton at the time that no one wanted him to step down and everyone pretty much told the GOP to stop butting into peoples personal lives and mind their own business. That's why Clinton didn't step down. Jesus! Why didn't Nixon/Regan/Bush Sr. & Jr./et al. go to prison for their crimes? Far worse than a boinking an intern.

Well, other than the fact he butts heads with his administration and was conveniently forced to retire 2 days after the election......yea, weird right?

Things were so good? So it is ok for the President to flat out lie about his involvement, but lately, lying isn't ok? eh. I knew this is how the conversation would go.

On April 28, 2011, President Barack Obama announced that he had nominated Petraeus to become the new Director of the Central Intelligence Agency.[162] The nomination was confirmed by the United States Senate 94-0 on June 30, 2011,[163] and Petraeus was sworn in on September 6, 2011.[citation needed]
Obama moved him there to fire him.

and everyone pretty much told the GOP to stop butting into peoples personal lives and mind their own business.

Isn't that what the Dems are doing on a daily basis? Making the Fed Gov our personal nanny? Yea.....keep going, you are a riot.

I love how you can easily dismiss YOUR president as lying to the people and all investigators into his sexual intercourse and then just say "eh throw all them bum Republicans into jail" yet YOUR party has done the same thing. Grow up. The issue here is Obama is no different and is just as fucking shady as you claim everyone else to be.

How many "executive orders" has YOUR President made? Go check that out and get back to me....it isn't as many as some people will make us beleive, but his are just as fucking frightening or even more than prior Presidents. Alas, your angel is here to save you.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2012, 23:26.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 23:00 Prez

Yeah that Gordon shit was hilarious. Them rednecks sure get cranky about their racin'. Fight

Oh, and I'll see you're completely unrelated-but-still-sportsy comment and raise you a completely-off-topic-AND-not-sports-related comment: Prototype 1 and 2 are on sale on Amazon for 10 bucks total. Considering that Prototype 2 alone is selling at or near full price in most places I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 22:44 Rigs

Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:20:
The Giants are just being the Giants. The biggest fears for any Giants fan are 1) knowing they are playing a game that they should win handily, 2) watching them playing with a big lead, or 3) knowing they are playing the Cowboys. Loss is almost guaranteed in each case.

Indeed, but it doesn't make it any less cringe-worthy... Wreck

On a totally unrelated, yet sportsy-type theme, did anyone see the huge fight between Clint Bowyer and Jeff Gordon in the pits on the second to last lap of the race at Phoenix this afternoon? Hilarious...in fact, it ended up red-flagging the race for a good 20 mins... Good stuff... Race

=-Rigs-=

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 21:59 Cutter

How is Petraeus stepping down Obama's fault? I guess the affair was Obama's fault too? No one asked Petraeus to step down, he did so of his own volition because he probably wants to focus on his family. Things were so good with Clinton at the time that no one wanted him to step down and everyone pretty much told the GOP to stop butting into peoples personal lives and mind their own business. That's why Clinton didn't step down. Jesus! Why didn't Nixon/Regan/Bush Sr. & Jr./et al. go to prison for their crimes? Far worse than a boinking an intern.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 21:36 Rattlehead

http://kotaku.com/5959630/valve-mentions-its-next-gen-game-engine-again

Source 2 confirmed by Gabe N himself.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 21:15 ^Drag0n^

"SKYMALL"

Good Lord that was hilarious...

BTW--believe the hype... This was probably the best Bond yet; I've liked how they laid off on the gadgets since DC took on the role.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 20:28 Prez

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 19:31:
Anyone else confused as to why a CIA director would step down for infidelity but a past president did not? I smell bs from this newly re-elected scam.

Careful! The Bluesnews politicos are going to have you fitted for a tin-foil hat! (Though I immediately saw the same parallel )

- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 20:20 Prez

The Giants are just being the Giants. The biggest fears for any Giants fan are 1) knowing they are playing a game that they should win handily, 2) watching them playing with a big lead, or 3) knowing they are playing the Cowboys. Loss is almost guaranteed in each case.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 19:56 mag

Also: Ahahaha! I'm the only one that picked the Bengals!  

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo