Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy first birthday to Skyrim! More significantly, today is Veteran's Day here in the U.S., though it falling on Sunday means the Federal holiday for this will be observed tomorrow. Here's a salute to the vets for their bravery and sacrifice, and an expression of hope that we can improve the way we support our returning soldiers, as well as an expression of hope that we can improve our diplomacy so there are fewer soldiers sent out there in the first place.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Spy Car.
Media: Wolfenstein 3D in Real Life.
New James Bond Trailer.
What If Wes Anderson Directed the Next Star Wars Movie?
Drive a Car That's On Fire - Like a Boss.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 14:57 Prez

In our conspiracy theory-obsessed society it's impossible for me to know what to believe and what is so much poppycock. But let's say for argument's sake the birthers are right and there has been a vast conspiracy to hide the truth of Obama's forgeign birth. My question is What does it matter? The guy has been president for 4 years and will be for 4 more. Nothing is going to come of this now - it's a moot point. Had someone had enough evidence to convince a judge (and the inevitable appeals court) to block Obama's candidacy, that would have been when it would have mattered - during the 2008 presidential campaign. No one successfully presented such evidence (presumably because none existed) effectively putting the whole issue to bed. Why continue to harp on it? The issue is over and done with and bringing it up now just makes those who do look like fringe loons.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 08:40 Mr. Tact

You know I hope you birthers stick with it. I have no facts to support my belief, but I suspect the most effective thing you do is get people to leave the GOP.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 03:07 Esteban

Obama's spent at least a million to seal his personal records, and the "birth certificate" he released was a digital composite.

But no one's putting anything over on you!

45. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 03:05 Esteban

The irony is thick isn't it?

A brainwashed liberal cites "fact" after "fact" showing that Republicans don't know what they're talking about, and a braindead leftist laments that the GOP is "spreading the FUD."

This is just one more example of what Reagan identified regarding liberals: It isn't that you're so often wrong, it's just that so much of what you believe isn't really true:

Reagan 50.7, Carter 41
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1980

Reagan 58.8, Mondale 40.6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1984

Get a grip. Do your homework. Think for yourselves.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 08:11 Mr. Tact

Guess I haven't seen Bats bait that well/hard before, I was so stunned I was shocked into silence. As it turns out, silence was the proper response.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 04:43 Prez

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 03:31:
sauron wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 19:39:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 15:59:
eh, had to vent. I enjoy reading the responses from those around here.

Cheers.

No problem, also glad no hard feeling from the subsequent lampooning.

Cheers to you as well.

Sometimes I just throw out a big chuck of bait - and in all honesty, I am a middle hanging Republican. I really do enjoy reading responses, as it get me thinking and I research responses and try and make myself a better person. Sounds stupid, but why wouldn't I? We all gotta live here, we probably all have about 90% the same feelings and thoughts, we just have these stupid parties that F everything up. If they really felt like they cared about us, they would use some common sense and fix some shit.....

Anyway....

I figured you were baiting - I know you well enough I think to know that you are smarter than using the 'birther' argument here on Bluesnews. Everyone jumped on that for sure!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 03:31 xXBatmanXx

sauron wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 19:39:

Cheers.

Cheers to you as well.

Sometimes I just throw out a big chuck of bait - and in all honesty, I am a middle hanging Republican. I really do enjoy reading responses, as it get me thinking and I research responses and try and make myself a better person. Sounds stupid, but why wouldn't I? We all gotta live here, we probably all have about 90% the same feelings and thoughts, we just have these stupid parties that F everything up. If they really felt like they cared about us, they would use some common sense and fix some shit.....

Anyway....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 00:50 Prez

Acleacius wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 00:40:
Prez wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 04:54:
.... Credit does go to him for at least having the guts to give the order, something that Bill Clinton failed to do when the opportunity presented itself. Think of the lives THAT could have saved.
Wrong, you've been watching too much, hannity the homophobe.

Clinton issued a CIA directive to assassinate Bin Laden. Which you clearly would have known by at least watching the main stream media or using Google. Not only that Clinton had a boots on the ground plan, designed by Richard Clark and approved in Dec 2. Instead they decided to leave it up to bush, since Clinton didn't want to hand bush a war.

Clinton built the most comprehensive Terrorism division ever to date, in the history of the United States. The whole while, the pathetic Congress lead by newt "I'm the only thing standing between freedom and Auschwitz here in the U.S." (you remember that guy, right.) fought tooth and nail to prevent extra funding for Counter Terrorism.

Of course we all know what bush did. Nothing. But you left that out and made shit up about Clinton. <shocking>

You mean Obama didn't pull the trigger. He most certainly DID kill Bin Laden. When everyone advised Obama against going in, he gave the order to kill. Our brave men, women and dogs couldn't have even boarded the choppers without the GO, from Obama.

Actually it's historical fact.

Actually no I'm not wrong, and I don't care if you accept it or not. You "facts" are conveniently spun to make your argument look like the correct one. Sorry, I'm not going to play that game. Go find someone else to play your silly game with. (You are so wrong on the scenario surrounding the event in question I wouldn't know where to begin anyway). You immediately lose any credibility with me once you stupidly accuse me of watching blowhard conservative wacko's like Hannity without having any basis for such a claim other than I dare speak the truth that reflects badly on one of your heroes. You clearly are not even worth discussing things with since you are more interested in "winning one for your team" than actual reasonable discourse.

Thanks though for proving my point on the idiocy of political arguments. I feel sorry for people so deluded by their own agenda as you. I don't doubt that you probably believe Obama was on the ground, decked out in full combat garb, M-4 in hand, bravely leading the hapless soldiers in the hunt for Osama.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2012, 00:56.

- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2012, 00:40 Acleacius

Prez wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 04:54:
.... Credit does go to him for at least having the guts to give the order, something that Bill Clinton failed to do when the opportunity presented itself. Think of the lives THAT could have saved.
Wrong, you've been watching too much, hannity the homophobe.

Clinton issued a CIA directive to assassinate Bin Laden. Which you clearly would have known by at least watching the main stream media or using Google. Not only that Clinton had a boots on the ground plan, designed by Richard Clark and approved in Dec 2. Instead they decided to leave it up to bush, since Clinton didn't want to hand bush a war.

Clinton built the most comprehensive Terrorism division ever to date, in the history of the United States. The whole while, the pathetic Congress lead by newt "I'm the only thing standing between freedom and Auschwitz here in the U.S." (you remember that guy, right.) fought tooth and nail to prevent extra funding for Counter Terrorism.

Of course we all know what bush did. Nothing. But you left that out and made shit up about Clinton. <shocking>

You mean Obama didn't pull the trigger. He most certainly DID kill Bin Laden. When everyone advised Obama against going in, he gave the order to kill. Our brave men, women and dogs couldn't have even boarded the choppers without the GO, from Obama.

Actually it's historical fact.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 20:21 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 04:07:
C'mon Bats, really? That's really specious logic: Chicago is the most corrupt city, Obama worked in Chicago, ergo Obama is corrupt.

Obama being special is not an opinion, it's empirical:
- Shepherded and signed into law comprehensive healthcare after five previous attempts failed.
- Passed the stimulus bill which got USA back on track. Compare to Europe, which went the austerity route and is stagnating.
- Bailed out the US Automakers. US autos are back on track and increasing market share. Even Republican auto company CEOs sing Obama's praises.
- Killed OBL in 2 years. GWB failed to do so in 6.
- The first president since FDR to be elected twice with more than 50% of the vote. Not even Reagan can claim that.
- Supported and signed Lilly Ledbetter law (more $$$ for your wife, Bats)
- and on and on. There's a list here, if you're interested.

Given that the Republicans goal is, "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." (According to Mitch McConnell) it's even more incredible he was able to accomplish what he did. The Republicans weren't interested in being an opposition party, they were a sabotage party. Their idea of compromise (from the minority) was "Do it 100% our way or F you." The Repubs had more filibusters under Obama than in the last 20 years combined. It's amazing he accomplished anything at all.

As for executive orders, Obama has made 139 or so (in 4 years). GWB made 291 (in 8). Reagan made 381 (in 8). GHWB made 166 (in 4). So Obama is about average, or a bit less even. So, what executive orders did Obama sign?
- “to encourage the exploration, development, and mining of strategic and critical materials and other materials.” Ooo, scary!
- He halted deportations of illegals who entered the USA as children and had no criminal record. Frightening!
- He modified welfare policy to allow states more control. He's a commie!
From the article:
Norman J. Ornstein of the American Enterprise Institute wrote to us in an email that Obama “does not hesitate to use executive authority, but he is well within the mainstream of his modern predecessors.”

As for Clinton not resigning, Petraeus chose to resign, Clinton didn't. When he didn't, he got impeached. Justice done.

Bats, you're a police officer, in a public union. The Republicans have vowed to shut down public unions. You think they'll stop with teachers? They won't be happy until you're patrolling the streets for 30K a year with no overtime pay. It's against your self interest to vote Republican, and yet you do. I really don't understand your thinking.

I don't agree with Obama on everything. His abuse of drones and civil liberties is atrocious. But he's an intelligent, thoughtful, deliberate politician who has accomplished a lot and helped pulled this country back from the brink of disaster. And compared to the Repubs, he is actually interested in governing and making citizens lives better, not "want to shrink [gov't] down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub." That's the diff between Repubs and Dems, and it shows Dems better in charts like gov spending and debt growth and job creation.

Wow, really well said. Thanks for taking the time to type that up. Goes right along with this post-election theme of "wake up to reality". I swear the GOP has been spreading the FUD and lies so thick on their constituents that they've come to actually believe it themselves.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 19:39 sauron

Cheers.

Cheers to you as well.

Kittens!

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 15:59 xXBatmanXx

Cheers.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 11:34 Verno

Prez wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 10:10:
The thing that I hate the most about political discussions is that everyone takes everything so personally. We are way too emotionally invested in our political viewpoint. So much so that it becomes divisive and contentious, which to me runs counter to the point of a web forum such as this, which is one based around a community that shares a common interest. Disagreement is one thing; political discussions almost invariably end up in dislike and disdain. I partake occasionally, but I almost always end up wishing I hadn't. I'd like my friends to remain my friends regardless if they're conservative, progressive, liberal, or libertarian. That's almost impossible to do when arguing politics - respect rapdily goes out the window when arguing (if it was ever there in the first place), and to what end? Do you honestly think you are really going to change someone's mind by belittling their rationality, intelligence or beliefs?

I hear ya man but honestly it is really hard to be patient and respect some idiot who is just regurgitating television rhetoric. I am generally super patient but when someone says something so ignorant that it makes them seem like a cartoon character, I can't resist lampooning them.

I actually spend equal amounts of time mocking idiots in my own party as I do far-left loonies, there is no shortage of easily influenced dolts in the world.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 11:01 PHJF

That's almost impossible to do when arguing politics - respect rapdily goes out the window when arguing (if it was ever there in the first place), and to what end? Do you honestly think you are really going to change someone's mind by belittling their rationality, intelligence or beliefs?

Fuck no, but it sure is fun!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 10:51 Verno

mag wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 19:56:
Also: Ahahaha! I'm the only one that picked the Bengals!

I picked the Saints!

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 10:50 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 19:31:
Anyone else confused as to why a CIA director would step down for infidelity but a past president did not? I smell bs from this newly re-elected scam.

Uh because he is the director of the lead intelligence of the country and blackmail is a pretty big deal in those circles. It had nothing to do with democrats or republicans. The FBI wasn't even investigating him, they came across it because the woman is kinda nuts and someone else had complained. No clue why people are trying to spin this politically.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 10:10 Prez

The thing that I hate the most about political discussions is that everyone takes everything so personally. We are way too emotionally invested in our political viewpoint. So much so that it becomes divisive and contentious, which to me runs counter to the point of a web forum such as this, which is one based around a community that shares a common interest. Disagreement is one thing; political discussions almost invariably end up in dislike and disdain. I partake occasionally, but I almost always end up wishing I hadn't. I'd like my friends to remain my friends regardless if they're conservative, progressive, liberal, or libertarian. That's almost impossible to do when arguing politics - respect rapdily goes out the window when arguing (if it was ever there in the first place), and to what end? Do you honestly think you are really going to change someone's mind by belittling their rationality, intelligence or beliefs?

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2012, 10:24.

- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 09:23 PHJF

Hey I enjoy the heated politics a helluvalot more than fucking NFL talk.

Keep it coming.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 09:20 sauron

nin wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 08:41:
sauron wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 08:33:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 23:01:
You know what you, me, and Obama all have in common? None of us were born in Hawaii....

Enough politics on the board already!

Besides which, that statement is offensive. I don't care if the President is Dem or Republican, using that kind of language on or around Veteran's Day is unacceptable. Show some class.

No no, please tell us more! More birther nonsense!

We should give $5 million to a charity of Bats's choice, if he releases his college and passport applications to the Blue's News board.

And yeah, I guess the bad feeling started when Bats and Obama were growing up together in Kenya, and Bats never quite got over it.

Kittens!

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2012, 08:41 nin

sauron wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 08:33:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 23:01:
You know what you, me, and Obama all have in common? None of us were born in Hawaii....

Enough politics on the board already!

Besides which, that statement is offensive. I don't care if the President is Dem or Republican, using that kind of language on or around Veteran's Day is unacceptable. Show some class.

No no, please tell us more! More birther nonsense!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo