Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming

The Bethesda Blog announces the removal of the original DOOM 3 from Steam is now remedied, and the standalone versions of DOOM 3 and the Resurrection of Evil expansion are now available at a lowered price for those not interested in the DOOM 3 BFG Edition’s release. This will allow players to play online with other owners of the standalone edition, as well as the ability to install the user-created modifications for id Software's shooter sequel. They also reveal that there may be more user content coming to the new edition, as word is: "For players with the BFG Edition of the game, you’ll be happy to know that we’ll be releasing the GPL source code in the near future. Stay tuned for updates."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 18, 2012, 14:25 ^Drag0n^

Wasn't not having a tacLight the biggest gripe about the game out of the gate?  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 22:02 Ant

ochentay4 wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 09:42:
nin wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 01:38:
every forum think all the other forums are full of idiots.

Very very true.

Maybe it is true and its full of idiots everywhere.
Uh, all humans are idiots.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

33. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 09:42 ochentay4

Very very true.

Maybe it is true and its full of idiots everywhere.

32. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 03:25 Jerykk

Internet 101: accusing the other person of being emotional Hitler is the key to winning arguments.

Fixed.

On the side note, I don't really see the issue with overpowered DLC being included with the game. It's like those overpowered pre-order bonus items. I generally like my games to be challenging, so I just don't use them. In fact, I go out of my way to make games harder by creating self-imposed rules. One of those rules is to not use overpowered items. I can't really sympathize with people who lack self-restraint.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2012, 03:36.

31. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 01:58 Prez

Very very true.

I'm different. I think only Bluesnews is full of idiots. That's why I spend so much time here - I feel like I finally fit in somewhere! Bucktooth

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 01:44 shihonage

Orogogus wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 01:27:
shihonage wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 01:08:
Are you familiar with the phrase "keeping an honest man honest"? You know that most door locks cannot withstand a deliberate intrusion, and yet leaving your door open isn't quite the same as having one locked - no matter how flawed the lock is.

So there goes your comparison between cheats, hacks, and having end-game items staring you in the face 30 minutes through the game.

With a trite saying? You have to actually put the gun in your inventory, and wield it, the same way you would have to type in a console command or install a hack. This talk of locks and honest men is why we still have people throwing bitchfits about games that let you save anywhere.

So, the only way you can continue to inject life into this pointless debate is by trying to invalidate a reasonable, fitting analogy.

This is the part where I start repeating what I said over and over in a language tailored to a lowering-with-each-iteration IQ, and you do your best to keep appearing dumber and dumber in order to deny it.

I think I'll let you have the last word on this one, yes sirree. It's time for me to go do something else.

29. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 01:38 nin

Very very true.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 01:27 Orogogus

shihonage wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 01:08:
Are you familiar with the phrase "keeping an honest man honest"? You know that most door locks cannot withstand a deliberate intrusion, and yet leaving your door open isn't quite the same as having one locked - no matter how flawed the lock is.

So there goes your comparison between cheats, hacks, and having end-game items staring you in the face 30 minutes through the game.

With a trite saying? You have to actually put the gun in your inventory, and wield it, the same way you would have to type in a console command or install a hack. This talk of locks and honest men is why we still have people throwing bitchfits about games that let you save anywhere.

To you this may be a non-issue, but it is definitely not a "feature" by any stretch of the imagination. It adds nothing to the game, only subtracts from it.

Here's a stretch -- the DLC costs money, and you're getting it for free. Or: with the DLC, you can play without the new guns, but without it, you can't play with them.

That's why there's a 23-page about it, on Steam:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780675

You're never going to win an Internet argument by pointing to another forum's thread, because every forum think all the other forums are full of idiots. That thread is full of idiots. They're wrong about the ammo drops. The console versions, without DLC, also have ammo for guns you don't and shouldn't have. Those are fixed drops. If it weren't the case, you'd be picking up wrong ammo through the whole damn game.

27. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 01:08 shihonage

Orogogus wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 00:29:
I honestly cannot fathom being outraged -- and you're totally flying off the handle here -- because you're buying those things in the store and they're forcing you to ruin your game. Is your game ruined the second you see a cheat code on the Internet, or once you find out the game can be modded? Because that's the level of self-control we're talking about. DON'T USE THE GODDAMNED DLC IF YOU THINK IT'S OVERPOWERED. Just use those other things, which you would be getting in the normal course of the game.

I mean, if the complaint is that it makes your store cluttered, that's kind of valid, but not "OMG the Steam version is broken boohoo *sob*" material here.

Internet 101: accusing the other person of being emotional is the key to winning arguments.

But I'm not here to play games with you. I am pointing out the fact - Dead Space 2 on Steam is broken. With all the outrage about Doom 3 BFG edition, Dead Space 2 has gotten very little actual press, and hasn't been fixed STILL.

To you this may be a non-issue, but it is definitely not a "feature" by any stretch of the imagination. It adds nothing to the game, only subtracts from it.

That's why there's a 23-page about it, on Steam:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780675

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2012, 01:15.

26. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 01:02 Suckage

Icewind wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 17:38:
edaciousx wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 16:18:
dang dude. you ok there?

And how do you know for certain that they planned to "Milk" money? Do you have evidence?

I envy little 20 somethings like you, fresh out of high school and born into the 21st century thinking that everything is roses and rainbows.

Yes, companies are only interested in doing as the customer wishes and will never steal from or manipulate their customers. Oh how naive and simplistic your thought process is.

Gaming is more about money now than it has ever been. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see they did it to milk sales for all they were worth.

Next you're going to tell me EA didn't remove their games from steam to bump up sales of them on Origin. Of course, EA paid for that and had to re-up them on steam to placate the masses.

See, big companies do in fact love us!

Kids.

Jesus....

25. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 00:29 Orogogus

I honestly cannot fathom being outraged -- and you're totally flying off the handle here -- because you're buying those things in the store and they're forcing you to ruin your game. Is your game ruined the second you see a cheat code on the Internet, or once you find out the game can be modded? Because that's the level of self-control we're talking about. DON'T USE THE GODDAMNED DLC IF YOU THINK IT'S OVERPOWERED. Just use those other things, which you would be getting in the normal course of the game.

I mean, if the complaint is that it makes your store cluttered, that's kind of valid, but not "OMG the Steam version is broken boohoo *sob*" material here.

24. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 11, 2012, 00:10 shihonage

Orogogus wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 21:57:
shihonage wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 15:20:
Dead Space 2 on Steam continues to be horribly broken while they fix Doom 3, a subpar game nobody plays.

Hilarious.

See, buying Dead Space 2 on Steam rewards you with a DLC "feature" which makes all items in the shop free - even the most powerful ones. All the prices are FUBAR'd.

You can go around that and redeem Dead Space 2 code via Origin, and get Dead Space 2 v1.0, which does not have that problem - unfortunately it has a game-breaking bug which creates constant noise and mini-inventory never goes away from the screen.

The sane solution, I suppose, is to get a pirated cracked patched version, but at this point I am too tired to bother.

This is not true, or it wasn't when I played through a year ago. The Steam version of DS2 comes with all the DLC items, for free. If you have the console or Origin versions, you have to pay money for the DLC -- at which point it's also free in game.

The regular, non-DLC weapons cost the same as they normally would.

When you go to a shop, anything with a fancy icon on it is a DLC item, and is free. Their name also has some modifier in it, so that instead of a Ripper you'd be buying a Bloody Ripper or something. If you don't select those, you're playing the original game.

" The Steam version of DS2 comes with all the DLC items, for free."

And those items are some powerful shit, completely breaking gameplay progression.

How is that NOT BROKEN?

Barring that, how is the "lack of ability to TURN OFF DLC" not a broken concept just by itself?

Or, wait a second - did I also buy a bonus home exercise in self-restraint?

Ahh. It all makes sense now.

23. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 23:22 MonkeySpank

I'm getting this for free with my Oculus Rift SDK.  

22. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 21:59 Prez

The reasoning EA gave for taking its newest titles off of Steam has been debunked multiple times. It was all them.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 21:57 Orogogus

shihonage wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 15:20:
Dead Space 2 on Steam continues to be horribly broken while they fix Doom 3, a subpar game nobody plays.

Hilarious.

See, buying Dead Space 2 on Steam rewards you with a DLC "feature" which makes all items in the shop free - even the most powerful ones. All the prices are FUBAR'd.

You can go around that and redeem Dead Space 2 code via Origin, and get Dead Space 2 v1.0, which does not have that problem - unfortunately it has a game-breaking bug which creates constant noise and mini-inventory never goes away from the screen.

The sane solution, I suppose, is to get a pirated cracked patched version, but at this point I am too tired to bother.

This is not true, or it wasn't when I played through a year ago. The Steam version of DS2 comes with all the DLC items, for free. If you have the console or Origin versions, you have to pay money for the DLC -- at which point it's also free in game.

The regular, non-DLC weapons cost the same as they normally would.

When you go to a shop, anything with a fancy icon on it is a DLC item, and is free. Their name also has some modifier in it, so that instead of a Ripper you'd be buying a Bloody Ripper or something. If you don't select those, you're playing the original game.

20. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 21:44 jacobvandy

As if EA were unable to sell DLC on Steam like dozens of other publishers.... It was ALL on them, a convenient excuse to make their games Origin-exclusive.  

19. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 20:44 Dades

necrosis wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 20:42:
Next you're going to tell me EA didn't remove their games from steam to bump up sales of them on Origin. Of course, EA paid for that and had to re-up them on steam to placate the masses.
Actually no. EA did not remove them. Valve booted them off because then ran against the new ToS for putting games on Steam. Which was if you offer DLC for a game that is on Steam you MUST also offer the DLC on Steam. EA only offered the DLC via ingame purchased/Origin.

Whenever someone mentions this, other people give several examples of games that do the same thing and are still on Steam so I don't really believe it's that simple.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

18. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 20:42 necrosis

Actually no. EA did not remove them. Valve booted them off because then ran against the new ToS for putting games on Steam. Which was if you offer DLC for a game that is on Steam you MUST also offer the DLC on Steam. EA only offered the DLC via ingame purchased/Origin.

17. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 20:33 Prez

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 19:13:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 18:14:
Seriously....that is beyond over the line. Relax.
I apologise. How about: id Software did a boo-boo and Mr "Must Try Harder" Carmack can go fellate a porpoise?

LOL!! The "kinder, gentler" thing just doesn't work for you.

- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Original DOOM 3 Back on Steam; BFG Source Release Coming Nov 10, 2012, 20:28 dubfanatic

RARHRRHHRHHR I WANT MY GAMEZ

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo