Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2012, 07:40 Mordecai Walfish

Prez wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 21:43:
It's around 45 to 60 seconds to load a map for me.

Same here, but that's 1/5 of what the reviewer claimed, and he would have known better if he played the game more than once, as it seemed.

He also showed to be woefully unaware of how the game actually worked, and instead wrote from the viewpoint of someone that played for an hour on marines and then ragequit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2012, 06:46 Prez

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 06:15:
Prez go back to Snuggle Truck!

LMAO!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2012, 06:15 The Half Elf

Prez go back to Snuggle Truck!  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2012, 21:43 Prez

It's around 45 to 60 seconds to load a map for me. It's not something I'd normally complain about; I'm amazed that I can play a game with a dozen or more people spread all over the country (or even the world) at all. That said the review wasn't completely off-base with the complaint despite the exaggeration.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2012, 20:35 PHJF

The maps do take an extremely long time to load, though 5 minutes is an exaggeration.

The game starts immediately to the main menu and I am on a map playing in ~30 seconds.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2012, 20:18 Prez

PHJF wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 17:52:
Alien units do not build structures. The game does not take "5 minutes" to load a map.

Maybe that's why I agreed with it - I haven't spent much time with it either.

You've already mentioned disliking multiplayer gaming, what made you want to play one with mandatory teamwork?

Hudson gifted it to me, and I remember somewhat liking the original mod. It's actually a very well made game; it just that it requires playing with people! Blech!

The maps do take an extremely long time to load, though 5 minutes is an exaggeration.

- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2012, 17:52 PHJF

Alien units do not build structures. The game does not take "5 minutes" to load a map.

You've already mentioned disliking multiplayer gaming, what made you want to play one with mandatory teamwork?

5. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2012, 16:24 Jerykk

Multiplayer reviews are never going to be reliable. In most cases, you can't really appreciate an MP game's depth until you become skilled and that usually takes at least a month. Playing a game off and on for a week isn't enough. Also, the experience can completely change over the course of the game's lifetime because the players are constantly discovering new tactics, strategies and/or exploits. Tribes at launch was a completely different game from Tribes three years later.  

4. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2012, 14:04 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2012, 13:50 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 13:38:
Besides the price, what exactly was factually incorrect about the first Gamespot review of Natural Selection 2? I kind of agreed with most of it, actually. His score was much lower than average, but what's wrong with a dissenting opinion?

He didn't actually play it for a what most people considered a reasonable amount of time. At least that seemed to be what I gleaned from the people who commented. Having not played the game I can't speak to the accuracy of the review, but the one complaint I saw universally was that it was obvious the reviewer had spent very little time with the game, even from the very few people that tried to defend the review. I imagine that is why Gamespot pulled it. I mean, all reviews are subjective to a great extent...but if the EiC finds out you didn't give the game the time you should have and the readers are calling you on that one particular point...it is going to get pulled.

There may be more to it, but that was my take-away.

2. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2012, 13:38 Prez

Besides the price, what exactly was factually incorrect about the first Gamespot review of Natural Selection 2? I kind of agreed with most of it, actually. His score was much lower than average, but what's wrong with a dissenting opinion?  

- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2012, 13:30 PHJF

Ummm the NS2 GameSpot review was pulled several days ago due to factual errors and a pervasive air of ennui.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo