Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy 10/11/12 to those who write dates in dd/mm/yy notation. I know it's been a long wait since the rest of us experienced what I called at the time the "sheer, unadulterated awesomeness of this date," so your time is now upon us. Enjoy!

Sequential Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Zombies vs. Penguins 2.
Stories: Stone Plans Fourth Cut of "Alexander". Re-re-re-polishing a turd.
Car Dealers Sue Tesla, Citing State Franchise Laws. Thanks Slashdot.
Exxon shuts pipeline after offshore oil leak in Nigeria.
Science: Coffee threatened by climate change. Thanks Slashdot.
Belly Button Bacteria- Biologists Seek Reason For Navel Flora Differences.
Media: A Sneak Peek at Disney's upcoming "Star Wars" Movies.
World War Z Trailer. Thanks sliv.
Meanwhile in Sweden... (wait for it). Stedicam?
Auction: Sotheby's to sell Mick Jagger's love letters.
Follow-up: The Guy Who Wrote Little Miss Sunshine Will Write Star Wars: Episode VII. Thanks nin.
Spielberg, Tarantino Turn Down "Star Wars".

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: World War Z Trailer Nov 11, 2012, 21:40 Ant

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 18:26:
Killer Kane wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 14:58:
"Install Quicktime"

...sure, sure I will

I honestly cannot find a single reason that non-mac users would install this terrible program.. it's become almost a joke to most PC users.

Windows users have Quicktime Alternative and CCCP, no bloated apple crap required..
QTA? That's so old and not updated these days. I just use the latest Media Player Classic Home Cinema build and VideoLAN Client Media Player versions.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Michael Arndt also wrote Toy Story 3 Nov 11, 2012, 08:08 Lokust

PropheT wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 01:04:
I loved Prometheus. I know the internet has a hardon of hate for it, but whatever.

Or maybe most people just didn't like it and it had nothing to do with the internet.

I liked the first half of it and it really seemed to go downhill with bizarrely written characters that didn't seem like they would have passed a psych eval to go on this sort of a mission.

Also the super smart people that couldn't figure out to run sideways instead of forward to escape a giant rolling donut.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2012, 06:33 Rigs

Stone Plans Fourth Cut of "Alexander". Re-re-re-polishing a turd.

Now, Stone says: "Iím going to go back next year actually. Iíve been asked by Warner Brothers because they did so well with ĎThe Final Cutí. They actually sold more than a million copies. Theyíve asked me to go back next year and do a fourth version. Frankly, itís a movie about history and I just feel like I can add something more. I wouldnít do it otherwise."

The key difference with the new cut isn't more additions, but subtractions: "I donít need more footage. I want to cut it down now because I added too much. I want it to come back a little bit. Thereís some trimming [needed]."

Talk about blatantly admitting that it's just a cash grab. Holy geezus, they don't even give a shit anymore because they know someone, somewhere is going to buy it. Damn...so, how about this instead..you just post on a website the 'suggested' spots I should fast-forward through and I'll 'consider' it...and save $20...asshole...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

30. Re: Michael Arndt also wrote Toy Story 3 Nov 11, 2012, 01:04 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 15:45:
So, not a great pedigree for a dark & gritty Star Wars, but on the other hand look how shitty Prometheus was with "dark and mysterious" writer Lindelof. On the other other hand, maybe he's adopted Pixar's technique for honing and honing and honing until the story is very solid.

I loved Prometheus. I know the internet has a hardon of hate for it, but whatever.

Arndt also has a number of movies coming up that he's writing for, like Oblivion (sci-fi next spring) and the Hunger Games sequel, that both promise to be pretty dark and gritty...if that's the goal, he's got upcoming projects where he's doing exactly that already. Hell, Little Miss Sunshine wasn't exactly cheery, and neither was Toy Story 3.

29. Stone Plans Fourth Cut of Nov 10, 2012, 22:41 Prez

I watched the first three quarters of Alexander and couldn't take it anymore. The warfare sequence with the Persians was easily the most epic and amazing one ever put to film with the possible exception of 'Return of the King'. It is a shame that the rest of the movie couldn't come close to matching it for grandeur and excellence. Alexander the Great was such an amazing larger-than-life historical figure; he deserved a much better movie.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 22:08 nin

Dades wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 20:48:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 15:54:
WWZ looks like the remake of war of the worlds, right down to the little kids crying, screaming.

never read the book but this looks like a dud to me.

as for Star Wars I fear they'll try to model if after super hero movies too much, it'll end up like Force Unleashed times ten.

Looks like they have completely rewritten the plot and ignored what made the book so great. Fast zombies were awful too, the book had slow ones. The CGI looked laughably bad for a movie that had a two hundred million dollar budget. Pass.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

That was a gripe of mine also from the trailer. One site was referring to them as "ant zombies", due to the fast moving speed and climbing over each other. It just looks cheap, IMO. "Here's a ball of zombies! whoo!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 21:47 jacobvandy

Plan B is Brad Pitt's production company, they bought the rights to the book for use in the film. Apparently all they wanted was the name...  

26. Re: World War Z Trailer Nov 10, 2012, 21:35 jdreyer

"Install Quicktime"

...sure, sure I will

Hmm, it ran fine in Windows Media player for me.

I'm not sure about the mountains of writhing zombies. Maybe the CG isn't done yet, or maybe just the whole idea of mountains of writhing zombies seemed unrealistic to me, but it just seemed to me that they were doing stuff because it was cool, not necessarily to tell a compelling story.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 21:26 Cutter

Dades wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 20:48:
WWZ looks like the remake of war of the worlds, right down to the little kids crying, screaming.

as for Star Wars I fear they'll try to model if after super hero movies too much, it'll end up like Force Unleashed times ten.

Looks like they have completely rewritten the plot and ignored what made the book so great. Fast zombies were awful too, the book had slow ones. The CGI looked laughably bad for a movie that had a two hundred million dollar budget. Pass.

Yeah, that trailer was horrendous. Obviously just a paycheck flick for Pitt because it's not like he doesn't have the clout to change it if he wants. It'll tank hard.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 21:25 PHJF

The book didn't have a plot so I don't what anyone would have expected from it anyways.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 20:48 Dades

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 19:20 Sugarman

It happens probably once every couple weeks or so.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 19:18 Stormsinger

Sugarman wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 19:16:
Anyone else getting a redirect when first visiting bluesnews.com? Just checking to narrow down if I have spyware or if it's the page.
Not me...connected straight away.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 19:16 Sugarman

Anyone else getting a redirect when first visiting bluesnews.com? Just checking to narrow down if I have spyware or if it's the page.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 19:16 Stormsinger

Coffee at risk? Now this shit is getting serious. Ya'll better put an end to this global warming shit RIGHT NOW!  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 19:06 PHJF

trailers.apple.com movie trailers are about 200000% higher quality than any shit on youtube.... and I can actually watch 720p trailers in browser without waiting 45min to buffer.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 18:55 jacobvandy

Search YouTube for any trailer Apple puts up, and it's there anyway, so...

But yeah, terribly disappointed with what they're doing. It still might be a decent movie (so long as they polish up that CGI, holy hell), but I'm beyond sick of the modern 'zombie' that's been morphed into something more interesting for the ADD-riddled audience. The books were about implanting Romero's undead into a realistic, globally apocalyptic scenario and exploring how that changed the human race; This is just another summer Hollywood blockbuster. Or at least, that's apparently how they're trying to sell it.

16. Re: World War Z Trailer Nov 10, 2012, 18:26 Mordecai Walfish

"Install Quicktime"

...sure, sure I will

I honestly cannot find a single reason that non-mac users would install this terrible program.. it's become almost a joke to most PC users.

Windows users have Quicktime Alternative and CCCP, no bloated apple crap required..

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 17:52 Jivaro

nin wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 17:39:
Saw Skyfall today - as a casual Bond fan (not seen every one), I thought it was really good fucking awesome.

yep, it was.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 17:48 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 15:11:
Cutter wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 15:04:
Like whatever, man. Star Wars sucks.

Why did I read that in the Big Lebowski's voice?

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo