Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Global Play Coming

The StarCraft II Website announces plans to bring the ability to play against players around the world in StarCraft II, Blizzard's RTS (it's like a global Internet or something!). This will take a while, though, as they say the patch to add this feature is due "in the coming months." Here's what this will provide:

Global Play will give you access to StarCraft II game servers in regions outside your own, expanding the possibilities for eSports, exposing you to maps and games that arenít yet published everywhere, and making it easy to play with your friends in other parts of the world. Each region will have separate profile data, meaning that characters, profiles, ladder rankings, progress, and friends lists will not carry over from region to region. With Global Play, youíll have other regions to choose from as you create new characters, take on different ladder opponents, and perhaps try maps that youíve never seen before.

More about Global Play:

• Players will be able to freely switch between regions via the StarCraft II login screen.
  • When your regionís game servers are undergoing maintenance, you may be able to play in a different region that is not down for maintenance.
  • Your game language and user interface will not change when you change regions.
  • Players using Global Play will be subject to the in-game policies of their selected play region.

Weíll have more details soon, including answers to your most frequently asked questions about Global Play.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 11, 2012, 20:44 Ant

DG wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 06:36:
For a SP-only player, is SC2 worth buying? Never played SC, did enjoy some of the C&C games (the original, Red Alert & Generals).
I am not a fan of Blizzard's RTS games, but a fan of Westwood Studios and EA (after taking over). SC games were OK, but they have excellent online support especially with its game servers.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 11, 2012, 20:13 OpticNerve

D_K_night wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 17:47:
you weren't about to buy it regardless of whether they had it or not

That alone wasn't the only reason why I didn't buy it, but it was a part of the list of reasons why I skipped it.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

13. No subject Nov 10, 2012, 17:47 D_K_night

OpticNerve wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 02:18:
Wow, they're finally adding this in? Thought this was patched in ages ago. Pretty glad I passed on this game.

you weren't about to buy it regardless of whether they had it or not

12. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 16:06 Yifes

For a SP-only player, is SC2 worth buying? Never played SC, did enjoy some of the C&C games (the original, Red Alert & Generals).

Yes. The single player is pretty good. They try to provide more variety than just the old build a base and crush your enemy mission formula, but it sometimes backfires as the new mechanics end up being more gimmicky than fun. However the late game missions are appropriately solid and epic. At 29 missions in total, you'll get your money's worth.

They also did good job moving the genre forward by adding RPG elements throughout the campaign, and exploring new storytelling mechanics like a between mission hub that resembles a mini adventure game, where you can interact with your ship and your crew for extra story fluff.

11. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 13:00 Parias

Both the original and SC2 are known for having pretty good storylines - I've actually only ever played the series in single-player, and have never touched the competitive multiplayer.

10. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 07:45 pagb

Campaign is fine & varied. There's a trial version if you want to check out.

9. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 06:36 DG

8. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 04:11 Flatline

nin wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 21:56:

How quaint.

FTFY. I'm glad it only took 5 years for Blizzard to remove what is literally an artificial partition they put up in the first place.

I'm sure this development however will result in another 4 months of delay for Heart of the Swarm.

7. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 02:18 OpticNerve

Wow, they're finally adding this in? Thought this was patched in ages ago. Pretty glad I passed on this game.  

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

6. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 01:54 Suppa7

The fact that gamers rewarded both diablo 3 and starcraft 2 knowing about their online DRM - they basically ruined gaming. I wish the masses weren't such fucking retards, everything bad about modern gaming comes back to retards that fed steam and online DRM. Minerwars promised No DRM then renegged. I fucking hate the new generation of drm loving gamers.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2012, 03:07.

5. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 9, 2012, 23:31 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 21:16:
... you put your left hand in and shake you it all about...

The Hokey Pokey = the meaning of life.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 9, 2012, 22:05 Bhruic

It's an interesting trend in game companies giving us features that they took away for no good reason, and acting as if they are doing something incredible by doing so. "Hey look, you can modify your FoV". "Awesome news guys, you can use mods with the game". "Look, we're giving you the ability to play with whoever you want rather than being region locked".

Ugh.

3. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 9, 2012, 21:56 nin

How quaint.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 9, 2012, 21:16 Mr. Tact

... you put your left hand in and shake you it all about...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 9, 2012, 21:12 J

Wow! It's like taking a step forward but taking a step back at the same time. So edgy, man! Still not buying it.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo