Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Art

The Kickstarter Page for Elite: Dangerous has a non-gameplay trailer from the upcoming Elite sequel. This features Frontier Developments' David Braben discussing the history of the franchise, and expresses great enthusiasm for the opportinities for a modern game using procedurally generated content like its forebears. The accompanying update also includes some concept art and renderings to give the first sense of the visual direction they envision.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2012, 10:20 The Half Elf

ASeven wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 13:46:
Taken from here:

Copied from my EG postÖÖ

I love elite, but I want to raise some concerns about this kickstarter and the company behind it.

Itís been in development for over 10 years (14 years at present), like duke nukem forever.
It is being made by a proper commercial entity, like duke nukem forever.
The company has produced a couple of good hits (lost winds) amongst a sea of mediocrity (generic kinect stuff), like duke nukem forevers parent company.

There are no screenshots, concept art or any assets at all. Unlike Duke nukem Forever, which did have concept art and a trailer video.

As it stands at the moment itís on course to be even more vapour like than DNF. Itís already past the same timescale.
Ask yourself, why would a company that has been around for years suddenly need money upfront without proof of anything. Especially, after promising the game from as far back as 1998.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/qanda-david-braben-from-elite-to-today-6162140

This is a cash grab to keep the studio going for a few more months. Traded on the back of a promise, looking at nostalgia.

The company accounts show that from 2009 they have blown through almost £5m in 2 years (down to £1m) and at that rate will be bankrupt by next year.
The shares have dropped £4m in a year. And the liabilities have more than doubled.

This £1.2m kickstarter is to make sure they can get through to the next financial year. Nothing more. The expected delivery date is AFTER they have run out of cash even with kickstarter backing.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/02892559

Most damning of all their last game (announced 2008) has yet to materialise. Beyond a trailer from a few years back.

I really do want to be proven wrong as Iíd love another elite, but Iím afraid the writing is on the wall. This will most likely be a high profile kickstarter failure. And the collapse of a company to boot.

First off it has NOT been in development for 10 years. The idea of making the game HAS been around for 10 years.
Secondly look at the BBC interview you can see the game (or parts of it) on the monitors, and also in the latest kickstarter video.
Thirdly MANY game companies have mentioned games that have poofed into the sunset. Obsidian had a unreal engine game that was killed off, GHOST, Prey 2, etc. If Frontier was the first company to EVER do this ya may have a point.

And finally for the record how about this.
A list of the company's games.

I don't think they are hurting for money, but finally found a way to make the game PC Gamers have been begging for, for over a decade.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 17:13 ASeven

RPS critical analysis of this.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 16:33 John

Yeah, you'd think after about 10+ years they'd at least have something more to show!  
This space is available for rent

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 16:08 Creston

ASeven wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 13:46:
Taken from here:

Copied from my EG postÖÖ

I love elite, but I want to raise some concerns about this kickstarter and the company behind it.

Itís been in development for over 10 years (14 years at present), like duke nukem forever.
The company has produced a couple of good hits (lost winds) amongst a sea of mediocrity (generic kinect stuff), like duke nukem forevers parent company.

There are no screenshots, concept art or any assets at all. Unlike Duke nukem Forever, which did have concept art and a trailer video.

As it stands at the moment itís on course to be even more vapour like than DNF. Itís already past the same timescale.
Ask yourself, why would a company that has been around for years suddenly need money upfront without proof of anything. Especially, after promising the game from as far back as 1998.

This is a cash grab to keep the studio going for a few more months. Traded on the back of a promise, looking at nostalgia.

The company accounts show that from 2009 they have blown through almost £5m in 2 years (down to £1m) and at that rate will be bankrupt by next year.
The shares have dropped £4m in a year. And the liabilities have more than doubled.

This £1.2m kickstarter is to make sure they can get through to the next financial year. Nothing more. The expected delivery date is AFTER they have run out of cash even with kickstarter backing.

Most damning of all their last game (announced 2008) has yet to materialise. Beyond a trailer from a few years back.

I really do want to be proven wrong as Iíd love another elite, but Iím afraid the writing is on the wall. This will most likely be a high profile kickstarter failure. And the collapse of a company to boot.

Hard to argue with analysis like this. The guy can be wrong, but it echoes what I think about the whole thing as well.

Anyway, they have plenty of time left for funding, but the initial rush has long since worn off. I think they've added maybe 4 or 5K today. At that rate they'll never make it.

Creston

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Art Nov 9, 2012, 14:48 nin

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 14:38:
I'll call it now. This one is going to be vaporware even if it makes its funding.

I'm not sure it's even going to make funding...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Art Nov 9, 2012, 14:38 Cutter

I'll call it now. This one is going to be vaporware even if it makes its funding.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Art Nov 9, 2012, 13:50 Slashman

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 13:35:
Anyway, keep it up, young padawan. Let me know if you beat one of my scores on Defense Grid, though, because then I have to go back and kick your ass.

Creston

Challenge accepted!!!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 13:46 ASeven

Taken from here:

Copied from my EG postÖÖ

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 13:39 Creston

Rigs wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 13:35:
Creston = Bluesnews resident 'Charlie The Unicorn'...

=-Rigs-=

Charlie is way too stupid and happy to be me.

Creston

7. Re: Elite: Dangerous Art Nov 9, 2012, 13:35 Creston

Slashman wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 12:54:
Not only that, but I can't seem to beat any of his scores in Defense Grid!! And Orcs Must Die 2, I've only managed to beat him on one map. He's the living definition of depressing!!!!!

I am the KING of Defense Grid!
For quite awhile, I was actually in the top 100 on virtually every map and every mode. I had 6 maps/modes in which I was in the top 10, and 2 maps where I was #3. Then the cheaters managed to get back in and put stupid horseshit up there, because apparently being #1 with a score that everyone knows is cheated is cool?

But my Orcs Must Die 2 scores? They're pretty sad. Verno has me beat in just about every map. My Orcs Must Die 1 scores are much, much better. (I've beaten everyone from Blues by quite a bit on those.)

Anyway, keep it up, young padawan. Let me know if you beat one of my scores on Defense Grid, though, because then I have to go back and kick your ass.

Creston

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 13:35 Rigs

Creston = Bluesnews resident 'Charlie The Unicorn'...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Art Nov 9, 2012, 12:54 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:23:
Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 10:55:

Update #1 - Video and art
Update #1 ∑ Nov. 09, 2012 ∑ 36 comments

Many have pointed out that "Elite: Dangerous" on Kickstarter lacked video and concept art.

Many thanks for all your support, and I hope you like the new content.

David

That's the whole update right there. Boy, this guy just can't stop talking, can he? His excitement for this project just JUMPS off that Kickstarter page!!

You'd think after the failure that was Old-School RPG/Shaker, he'd have paid some attention, but I guess he was too busy not making elite 4 to notice.

Creston

Not that I disagree, but has anyone ever told you that you're a bit of a downer? :p

Not only that, but I can't seem to beat any of his scores in Defense Grid!! And Orcs Must Die 2, I've only managed to beat him on one map. He's the living definition of depressing!!!!!

4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Art Nov 9, 2012, 12:54 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:23:
Not that I disagree, but has anyone ever told you that you're a bit of a downer? :p

Eh, whatever, but you can't tell me that when you compare this page to those of, say, Obsidian, that you get the idea that he's really chomping at the bits to get this made?

And the video, yeah, he says he thinks everything will be really exciting. Okay.

He genuinely comes across to me as not being terribly interested in doing this, but hey, if he can get 2 million bucks maybe that'll motivate him.

Creston

3. Re: Elite: Dangerous Art Nov 9, 2012, 12:10 dj LiTh

Try watching the video  

2. Re: Elite: Dangerous Art Nov 9, 2012, 11:23 ItBurn

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 10:55:

Many have pointed out that "Elite: Dangerous" on Kickstarter lacked video and concept art.

David

That's the whole update right there. Boy, this guy just can't stop talking, can he? His excitement for this project just JUMPS off that Kickstarter page!!

You'd think after the failure that was Old-School RPG/Shaker, he'd have paid some attention, but I guess he was too busy not making elite 4 to notice.

Creston

1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Art Nov 9, 2012, 10:55 Creston

David

Creston

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo