Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 11, 2012, 21:20 Nucas

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 17:04:
Does Sony even do local dimming yet? As of recently (~12 months or so) I know it was just edge lit. Local dimming has its issues, but edge lighting... ug.

I'm ok with the power consumption in exchange for image quality. It's the bright room performance that damns plasmas for me. I love mine, but sometimes, on Sunday morning, it's quite difficult to see.

Still love it. Adore it.

i realize this is coming late but local dimming was available in the HX909 in 2010, and continues to be available in the HX929 of 2011 and HX950 of 2012, and now it's being introduced downward; but the mid range tvs are still heavily reliant on dynamic edge-lighting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 11, 2012, 00:55 Mordecai Walfish

Flatline wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 04:19:
Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:28:
The Vita was a big gamble that is floundering in most regions and the Sony name doesn't have the pull it used to in other markets. Panasonic isn't doing too well either.

The Vita wasn't a big gamble as much as it was a stupid fucking move.

It took everything, and I do mean *everything* that went wrong with the PSP and doubled down on it. Expensive, high end hardware, check. Proprietary memory stick that costs way more than competing memory? Check. Shitty software library? Oh hell yes check. Lack of new IP for the portable (ie just endless portable versions of existing games)? Check. Online library of ancient titles ported at new release prices? Check. Developing, let alone launching, a dedicated hard core handheld without massive 3rd party support? Check. A price tag that puts it in direct competition with smartphones? Check.

The Vita shows me that Sony's gaming division is completely fucking clueless. I'd be afraid of what the PS4 ends up being with this kind of incompetence at the helm.

aah yes, but the system does have alot of potential when jailbroken =)

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 11, 2012, 00:51 Orogogus

strong placebo wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 13:33:
I agree with Beamer -- a good plasma out does a good LCD anytime.
Eh, I'd say as long as that time isn't the middle of the day. I have a plasma, with some kind of fancy schmancy coating on the glass, but it's just not good in the day unless I draw all the blinds and shut the curtains. It's kind of inconvenient, and I'd say that if the sun is actually shining on the set then the worst LCD outperforms the best plasma.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 10, 2012, 04:19 Flatline

The Vita was a big gamble that is floundering in most regions and the Sony name doesn't have the pull it used to in other markets. Panasonic isn't doing too well either.

The Vita wasn't a big gamble as much as it was a stupid fucking move.

It took everything, and I do mean *everything* that went wrong with the PSP and doubled down on it. Expensive, high end hardware, check. Proprietary memory stick that costs way more than competing memory? Check. Shitty software library? Oh hell yes check. Lack of new IP for the portable (ie just endless portable versions of existing games)? Check. Online library of ancient titles ported at new release prices? Check. Developing, let alone launching, a dedicated hard core handheld without massive 3rd party support? Check. A price tag that puts it in direct competition with smartphones? Check.

The Vita shows me that Sony's gaming division is completely fucking clueless. I'd be afraid of what the PS4 ends up being with this kind of incompetence at the helm.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 23:35 Dades

killer_roach wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 15:55:
Biggest issue with plasmas anymore is weight and power consumption. No matter what you do, a good plasma's going to use several times more juice than an LED.

That's not true of the newer plasmas, LCDs have also increased in power usage in many cases due to adding other functionality. My new LG plasma and a Sony LCD are within 10W of each other under load according to my Killawatt device. The newer plasmas are much thinner now too and have more attractive bezel designs, if you saw my LG from the side you could easily confuse it for an LCD. I think it weighs roughly 50 pounds though so that removes a lot of female shoppers from the equation. It's a middle market plasma at best so I wasn't expecting much but it blows our other TVs out of the water in terms of picture quality.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 18:07 killer_roach

Nucas wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 16:54:
while i admire a lot of the design aesthetics of samsung, i've heard the sony HX929 called the best looking TV available.

sony is working to bring their tv products back in line with their brand reputation after cheapening up during the recession in a bid to try to keep sales going.

still doing better than sharp, at least.

Haven't seen that particular Sony set yet, but if it's as good as the hype, I'll be happy to eat my words.

But saying they're doing better than Sharp is simply saying they're not doomed quite yet.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 17:04 Beamer

Does Sony even do local dimming yet? As of recently (~12 months or so) I know it was just edge lit. Local dimming has its issues, but edge lighting... ug.

I'm ok with the power consumption in exchange for image quality. It's the bright room performance that damns plasmas for me. I love mine, but sometimes, on Sunday morning, it's quite difficult to see.

Still love it. Adore it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 16:54 Nucas

killer_roach wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 15:55:
But yeah, Sony's TV business is what's making them head off the rails, mostly borne out of an identity crisis in their market positioning. They're not high enough quality to compete with Samsung, but they're not cheap enough to compete with Philips, LG, or Vizio. They're just occupying a weird middle ground that doesn't seem to make them particularly palatable to anyone.
while i admire a lot of the design aesthetics of samsung, i've heard the sony HX929 called the best looking TV available.

sony is working to bring their tv products back in line with their brand reputation after cheapening up during the recession in a bid to try to keep sales going.

still doing better than sharp, at least.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 16:53 Mordecai Walfish

I'd have to say at least a million and one riders have played Trials Evolution, as I played the shit out of it on a buddy's xbox a couple months ago. Fun game.  

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 15:55 killer_roach

strong placebo wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 13:33:
15 years ago if someone said SONY would fail, I would have thought it very unlikely.

I agree with Beamer -- a good plasma out does a good LCD anytime. The grays and blacks on a plasma are hard to surpass. the cheaper plasmas are a different story though.

Biggest issue with plasmas anymore is weight and power consumption. No matter what you do, a good plasma's going to use several times more juice than an LED.

But yeah, Sony's TV business is what's making them head off the rails, mostly borne out of an identity crisis in their market positioning. They're not high enough quality to compete with Samsung, but they're not cheap enough to compete with Philips, LG, or Vizio. They're just occupying a weird middle ground that doesn't seem to make them particularly palatable to anyone.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 14:21 Ozmodan

This does not bode well for a play station 4 any time soon. Looks like the xbox 720 will be the only option for a while.

It also brings into question what will happen to SOE. Will Sony have to sell off pieces and parts to stay alive?

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 13:33 strong placebo

15 years ago if someone said SONY would fail, I would have thought it very unlikely.

I agree with Beamer -- a good plasma out does a good LCD anytime. The grays and blacks on a plasma are hard to surpass. the cheaper plasmas are a different story though.

"More turn-based please"

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 11:41 Beamer

Yeah, Panasonic bet very big on plasma TVs. Plasma TVs are not the technology of choice.

But it offers superior image. Plenty of editorials out there moaning about plasma slowly fading, in part because it doesn't look as good in Best Buy even though it likely looks better in a living room.
Depends on situation, though, both plasma and LCD have their strengths and are different enough that both should survive. I suppose that LCD is just more versatile.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 11:28 Verno

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo