Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week

BioWare announces a November 15th start date for the free-to-play era in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Here's the deal:

Today we are excited to announce that the global launch date of the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Free-to-Play option will be November 15, 2012. This release will be simultaneous across all of the territories and countries The Old Republic™ is available.

If you’re a paying Subscriber at the launch of the Free-to-Play option on November 15th, you will be granted all of the Complimentary Cartel Coins currently listed on your Cartel Coin Ledger page, plus a one-time grant of 250 Complimentary Cartel Coins!

Additionally, we are extending the Rewards Program! All former subscribers who reactivate their subscription by the new date of December 20, 2012 at 11:59pm CST will be granted Complimentary Cartel Coins for their prior paid months up to November 15, 2012. For more information on all of the rewards you could potentially receive, visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/FREE.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week Nov 11, 2012, 10:10 Theo

Jerykk wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 21:55:
There's a key difference, though. In other F2P, the XP boosters are promoted as such: a boost to the default XP accumulation rate. A positive bonus, in other words. In TOR, the F2P changes are being portrayed as nerfs and restrictions to the regular content. That has a negative perception and why TOR's F2P model will fail.

In fairness this kind of thing will ALWAYS happen when a game changes from subscription to f2p; its inevitable.

People said exactly the same thing when STO went free to play regarding the "limited" nature of the accounts; that game has gone from strength to strength since people had the initial "YOU'RE DOING WHAT" outrage.

in 2 months no-one will give 2 f*cks* about what got nerfed, they will decide on if they are playing based on enjoyment alone, assuming they are the type of gamer with a open mind.

I'd rather games exist over "not", even if i dont play them, if some people are gaving fun with them thats a good thing.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week Nov 10, 2012, 21:55 Jerykk

Theo wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 04:42:
Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:55:
They really have NO FUCKING CLUE on what makes a succesful F2P game.
Creston

LoL does nerfed XP unless you play for boosts and that's the most succesful free to play game in the world. HELL, that's the most successful online game in the world / let alone free to play.

Nerfing down XP gain in free to play is widely done, and accepted.

Agree the rest of there model is somewhat retarded however.

There's a key difference, though. In other F2P, the XP boosters are promoted as such: a boost to the default XP accumulation rate. A positive bonus, in other words. In TOR, the F2P changes are being portrayed as nerfs and restrictions to the regular content. That has a negative perception and why TOR's F2P model will fail.

38. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week Nov 10, 2012, 04:42 Theo

Creston

LoL does nerfed XP unless you play for boosts and that's the most succesful free to play game in the world. HELL, that's the most successful online game in the world / let alone free to play.

Nerfing down XP gain in free to play is widely done, and accepted.

Agree the rest of there model is somewhat retarded however.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

37. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 16:09 Glykon

ASeven wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 09:11:
HAHA! All those biodrones saying this would never go F2P, or heck, Bioware saying that. That's almost $500M down the drai

Add the 850 millions they bought shitty Bioware...

36. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week Nov 9, 2012, 16:07 Glykon

Its just false advertising, its NOT free. You cant even use the purple items. Its even worse than EQ2 "free" where you cant use any legenadaries.

Anyhow after I finished all in less than 2 months I see abs no reason to go back, it sux.

35. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week Nov 9, 2012, 12:47 sauron

That's possible, but I'm not sure why anyone would. You get so much money from farming Orr that even with the inflated rates you can easily get 1000+ gems in just a few hours.

The thing about it that sucks is that those who DON'T farm Orr (like me), never have enough money to buy gems to do anything significant. It takes me hours to scrape together another gold piece because I'm doing all the zones, and so I never have the money to buy any kind of decent amount of gems (decent enough to buy some more character or bank slots, for example.)

Sucks, but oh well.

Here's another fun tidbit on TOR:

BioWare’s also announced that free players will accrue experience at a significantly slower rate.

Creston

I'm about to hit level 50 in GW2, going at a rate of about 10 levels a week, so should be seeing all of this stuff soon, but not yet.

And yep, BioWare seem to have lost the plot. Penalizing free players in terms of basic game mechanics just means that nobody will play. LOTRO has a better model - basic game is free (and fun) and quest packs (ie world content) cost extra. It's not perfect but it works ok. GW2 might have gone too far the other way - everything is free so they're totally dependent on the gem shop for income.

Kittens!

34. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week Nov 9, 2012, 11:55 Creston

That's possible, but I'm not sure why anyone would. You get so much money from farming Orr that even with the inflated rates you can easily get 1000+ gems in just a few hours.

The thing about it that sucks is that those who DON'T farm Orr (like me), never have enough money to buy gems to do anything significant. It takes me hours to scrape together another gold piece because I'm doing all the zones, and so I never have the money to buy any kind of decent amount of gems (decent enough to buy some more character or bank slots, for example.)

Sucks, but oh well.

Here's another fun tidbit on TOR:

BioWare’s also announced that free players will accrue experience at a significantly slower rate.

Creston

33. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 11:13 sauron

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 10:43:
sauron wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 09:17:
And I'm pretty sure ANet is making a lot of money from their gem shop.

I don't know, to be honest. Judging by the incredible inflation of Gems vs Gold (Used to be 1G got you 400 gems, now it's at 120, and on busy days it goes down to under 100), I think everyone is just zerging Orr and buying gems with Gold...

Creston

I think people are also buying gems for real money, and then selling them on the Trading Post to others, for in-game gold.

It's legal to do that in the game although frowned upon.

Kittens!

32. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 10:43 Creston

sauron wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 09:17:

I don't know, to be honest. Judging by the incredible inflation of Gems vs Gold (Used to be 1G got you 400 gems, now it's at 120, and on busy days it goes down to under 100), I think everyone is just zerging Orr and buying gems with Gold...

Creston

31. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week Nov 9, 2012, 10:35 Omni

I never played this game I might try it out if I am really fucking bored but at this point I don't see that happening any time soon.

There is plenty of other stuff to do like watch paint dry.

30. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 10:33 HoSpanky

nin wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 09:13:
Dammit, he fixed all the headlines!

After I'd turned off my computer and was in bed, I realized I should have photoshopped and sent Blue a "Blue's New" logo for the front page.

Next time, gadget, next tiiiiime!

29. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week Nov 9, 2012, 09:50 Kajetan

SWTOR is some sort of KOTOR with solid PvE quests. I will grind my way through, probably only to become deeply depressed for not playing a solid Kotor 3 but this MMO crap instead. Life is unfair!! *whine*  

28. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 09:17 sauron

Closed Betas wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 23:43:
entr0py wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 22:15:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 21:45:
yeah now it's apparently free to play past level 15. Not sure what they'll be charging FOR, but whatever. I'm not going to complai

Next week you'll be able to go to level 50 without payin

They are charging for QUICK SLOT BARS, and no I am not lieing. :p
They are actually charging to have better game mechanics... EA is unbelievable when it comes to being clueless.

GW2 is free to play - the whole game! And it's awesome. Just saying.

Kittens!

27. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 09:13 nin

Dammit, he fixed all the headlines!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 09:11 ASeven

HAHA! All those biodrones saying this would never go F2P, or heck, Bioware saying that. That's almost $500M down the drai  

25. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 08:31 Verno

Closed Betas wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 23:43:
entr0py wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 22:15:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 21:45:
yeah now it's apparently free to play past level 15. Not sure what they'll be charging FOR, but whatever. I'm not going to complai

Next week you'll be able to go to level 50 without payin

They are charging for QUICK SLOT BARS, and no I am not lieing. :p
They are actually charging to have better game mechanics... EA is unbelievable when it comes to being clueless.

I thought the sprint thing was cute too.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

24. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 08:21 John

deqer wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 01:02:
what's up blue, did Sandy break your keyboard?
Yeah, why the missing letter at the end of each news titl ?

This space is available for rent

23. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 01:02 deqer

what's up blue, did Sandy break your keyboard?  

22. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 00:54 Cram

I played through most of the game at launch and cancelled before the free month was up. I definitely want to run through Balmorra again, and I think I will. That planet was fantastic.  

21. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 9, 2012, 00:17 Jeraxle

I just got back from the bathroom.. Can I play KOTR for free now? =)  
Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo