Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney

The Natural Selection 2 Website has an infographic detailing the ascension of Unknown World's action/strategy sequel since its launch a week ago. Though a picture paints a thousand words, they also accompany with some text analysis: "Icelanders are the most NS2 obsessed, the US is the biggest market, Singaporeans are the most likely to buy the Deluxe edition, and Belgians the most likely to buy 4-packs for their friends. NS2 has grossed over one million dollars in its first week. That means UWE can continue to make NS2 better for a very long time to come, and even tentatively start thinking about other projects for the long term. As of yesterday, 75,105 games of NS2 had been played by up to 7,135 concurrent players." They also note a tournament this weekend at the ESL European Open Finals in Cologne, Germany, saying this can be streamed via Twitch and possibly attended live by those in the area. Thanks Joao.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 10, 2012, 02:27 Prez

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 23:14:
Wow, Prez, you had a very unusual second game. My experience in the NS community as a vet has been that it's overwhelmingly nice compared to most other online FPS games, and I've heard the same t hing from many newbies in the week since release.

It wasn't just a game; I've had two pretty lengthy sessions of a couple of hours each in which an alarming number of players were annoying as hell or extremely rude (some both). I seem to have been unlucky considering what everyone is saying, so I'll give it another shot. Mostly out of respect for Hudson, who gifted me the game - don't want him to think I don't appreciate it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 9, 2012, 23:14 TychoCelchuuu

Wow, Prez, you had a very unusual second game. My experience in the NS community as a vet has been that it's overwhelmingly nice compared to most other online FPS games, and I've heard the same t hing from many newbies in the week since release.  

21. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 9, 2012, 10:25 Prez

I give the game itself a 9.0 and the community a 1. That averages out to 5. So the Gamespot score was high!

Seriously though, my experience with the game has not been positive. Rude ass people abound. I am starting to think the in-game voice chat is the worst invention in gaming since the Virtual Boy. There was a match where no one on my team got into the commander station, meanwhile 2 or 3 guys kept complaining on their friggin' mics that we needed a commander. So I figured what the hell and jumped in. "JESUS PREZ YOU ARE STILL A FUCKING ROOKIE!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU RETARDED?????" I got chided the rest of the match for being such a noob, a griefer, and blah blah blah. That was my second session. During my first session I realized that no one was jumping into the commander station and the one that finally did sucked. So I spent an hour training up on how to be a good commander in the game's explore mode. I didn't even realize that your name is color-coded and that green meant you are a rookie. Apparently it also means that everyone who isn't a rookie is supposed to belittle you instead of help you. Real nice community. It's no wonder I stick to singleplayer games. I get treated like crap enough at work; at least I am paid for it there.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 22:10 JohnBirshire

Gamespot was my favorite gaming website until that fiasco with them firing a reviewer for giving a bad review to one of their sponsors games, haven't been back since.

I'm going to buy NS2 and Chivalry if Black Ops 2 sucks.

19. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 19:05 Cyanotetyphas

I appreciate how forthcoming they are about their sales and what that means for them. Its very tiring how large companies are always playing the stock game and you never know whats going to happen with your favorite IPs.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

18. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 18:27 ASeven

Gamespot review has now been pulled. Wow. It was so bad even Gamespot did the unthinkable, pull a review.

Someone please save the review for posterity. Such terrible reviews are rare to come by.

17. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 18:21 Smellfinger

ASeven wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 15:40:
Worst community since DOTA? You gotta be shitting me, the community is one of the best out there.

Totally serious. The commander mechanic attracts nerdrage the likes of which I haven't seen since DOTA.

16. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 15:55 Scheherazade

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 15:26:
Scheherazade wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 14:00:
As an old Gloom player, I was hoping to see something like it again

You mean like Tremulous?

(free and has been out for 5+years)

I kept playing Gloom when Tremulous was out, as the Gloom community lasted a really long time.

Then when I checked on Tremulous recently (because of upcoming NS2, actually), no one was playing.

-scheherazade

15. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 15:53 Mordecai Walfish

Holy crap I just read that NS2 review @ gamespot and I see what all the fuss is about!

How is this a games journalist? It's like they took someone from high times magazine and asked him to review the game for gamespot.

14. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 15:40 ASeven

Smellfinger wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 14:40:
Concise NS2 Review: Good game, worst community since DOTA.

Worst community since DOTA? You gotta be shitting me, the community is one of the best out there.

13. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 15:26 Mordecai Walfish

Scheherazade wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 14:00:
As an old Gloom player, I was hoping to see something like it again

You mean like Tremulous?

(free and has been out for 5+years)

12. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 14:44 PHJF

The game doesn't mechanically force you to play as a team by making it the only option, and it doesn't make team play a side show. It makes you actaully want to participate with others. I've never heard so much voice comm use in a PC game [in PUGs], and it's not trolls.

It's only going to get better as more people familiarize themselves with the game and balance issues are sorted out.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 14:40 Smellfinger

Concise NS2 Review: Good game, worst community since DOTA.  

10. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 14:00 Scheherazade

As an old Gloom player, I was hoping to see something like it again, and here it is.

NS2 is one of the better games I've played in recent times.

Proper 'team' FPS, where coordination actually matters, and the game revolves around strategic goals.

Your strategic accomplishments empower you as an individual, with better weapons and defenses - so it's in your personal interest to organize so that you accomplish more than the other team.

The game doesn't mechanically force you to play as a team by making it the only option, and it doesn't make team play a side show. It makes you actaully want to participate with others. I've never heard so much voice comm use in a PC game [in PUGs], and it's not trolls.

Lots of other 'team' games these days are really just deathmatch with a 'team score' to keep your 'kill/death score' company - and it basically ends there.

NS2 did it right.

-scheherazade

9. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 13:51 Mangrove

ASeven wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 11:13:
...full of golden nuggets like "Part of the reason it's difficult is that the game is well balanced",..

Sounds like a Yogi Berra-ism

8. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 13:40 BicycleRepairMan

Yeah that GS review is embarrasing as hell. The guy has clearly only played a single match with marines. There are about 200 comments saying as much, every single commenter explaining how the review sucks balls, except one guy replying to ALL OF THE COMMENTS, defending the reviewer as if he was flawless. for several hours. either that guy is one hell of a loyal GS fan, or we are looking at the dumbest sockpuppetery I've ever seen. And judging from the review, that dumbass reviewer is probably capable of it.  

7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 12:51 PHJF

Well speaking for myself I spent $25 and have played for fifty hours in the past week since release.

Seems worth it to me. I actually have like a 7-1 record going as commander (mostly aliens) when i virtually never commanded in NS1, too.

6. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 12:13 ASeven

PHJF wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 11:25:
The problem is that this offering isn't free: it costs 30 bucks.

Well that about sums it up, in the very first paragraph he gets the price of the game wrong.

Not only that but there's the implication he wanted this for free. Worse, he doesn't think this game is worth any money.

5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 11:39 Jivaro

Wow..that really is one of the worst reviews I have seen at a major site. That is saying something too...  

4. Re: Natural Selection 2 Launch Details; Tourney Nov 8, 2012, 11:25 PHJF

The problem is that this offering isn't free: it costs 30 bucks.

Well that about sums it up, in the very first paragraph he gets the price of the game wrong.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo