Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year

Activision Blizzard's third fiscal quarter results are now available, showing favorable results for the period based on sales of the Mists of Pandaria expansion for World of Warcraft as well as Diablo III, and word is WoW subscribership has once again topped the 10 million plateau. Word is: "For the quarter ended Sept. 30, Activision reported net income of $226 million, or 20 cents per share, compared with net income of $148 million, or 13 cents a share, for the same period last year. Revenue rose nearly 12% to $841 million. Adjusted for deferred revenue from the same of certain game titles, the company said its earnings for the period would have been 15 cents a share on revenue of $751 million. Analysts were expecting earnings of 8 cents a share on revenue of $710 million on this basis, according to consensus forecasts from FactSet." The post-earnings conference call included another couple of revelations, that StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm is scheduled for the first half of 2013 and the unsurprising news that Diablo III Has An Expansion Plan, even though the original version of the action/RPG sequel is not yet complete without the promised PvP mode.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

27. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 07:36 Armengar

I'll buy a D3 expansion. D3 was ok for me. Enjoyed playing it and parked it when ive had enough. Probably about 300 hours all told since launch day. Ive never played WoW or SC2 so I cant comment on those.

Lots of games to play but I think 300 hours for £30 is a decent deal. Ive probably spent that in steam sales and only played those games for a tenth of that combined.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 07:28 ItBurn

The D3 expansion will probably be much better than the vanilla game as far as content goes, but the game mechanics are such that I have no interest in putting time into leveling a character. Add the fact that my account got hacked and I lost my main char, and it doesn't make me want to replay the game much...  

25. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 06:43 eRe4s3r

You can just watch the let's play on youtube then... it's far cheaper

Also how long they need for 1 expansion is pretty damning. So Legacy of the Void is coming in 2016 ? (SC2 released in 2010).. that's just wow. The game looked like crap even when it came out, in 2016 it's gonna be a running gag.

Why didn't they make a REAL Sc2 and then in 3 or 4 years (so 2014) a real SC3 ? Instead we got this piece-meal crap in an engine and with gameplay that was outdated when it released.

24. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 06:10 Julio

Pass on a D3 expansion. Don't think it will sell well at all for them. I'm thinking microtransactions for PVP - you lose you pay extra.  

23. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 05:14 Prez

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 03:07:
Prez wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 02:24:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 02:13:
I enjoyed SC2 single-player. I'm really not into the multi on it though. I don't like the rushed style of play. I may pick up HotS if the reviews are good for the SP aspect.

Oh, btw, I have a couple of PoE beta keys if anyone wants one.

Being an action RPG nut I so want to try this game despite the fact that I generally don't like playing betas (or free-to-play games). I'll take one if you still have it.

Just emailed you a key. Just let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Thanks a bunch! Going to try it out sometime this week.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 04:59 ASeven

On one hand, D3 sold 10M units and helped prop the revenues for Activision in a major way. PC gaming dead and all that.

On the other hand, D3 sold 10M which is a terrible precedent for a mediocre game with always-online DRM.

21. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 04:41 spindoctor

Hopefully early next year means in the first couple of months and not past Summer or something :\. The D3 expansion is probably over a year out so it's hard to get too excited about it right now. I wonder what classes they'll add to D3 in it.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

20. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 04:05 InBlack

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 23:52:
Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 22:16:
Does anyone care? I sure don't. I think I'm pretty much done with Actiblizz now.

I would like to finish the story arc for Starcraft 2 myself. I will only do that, however, if they allow offline play with the sequels like they did with the Terran campaign. But yeah, I will never play another Diablo again after the disaster they turned D3 into. Make the same mistakes with Heart of the Swarm and I'll write them off completely and never look back.

Same here. SC2 was pretty good IMO, I only barely tried the multiplayer, the campaign and story I liked quite a lot and it was a whole lot of SC1.5 fun....which is what I expected from D3, D2.5 and instead I got a disgusting WoW/Diablo hybrid with a shemale diablo and no PvP....

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 03:07 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 02:24:
I enjoyed SC2 single-player. I'm really not into the multi on it though. I don't like the rushed style of play. I may pick up HotS if the reviews are good for the SP aspect.

Being an action RPG nut I so want to try this game despite the fact that I generally don't like playing betas (or free-to-play games). I'll take one if you still have it.

Just emailed you a key. Just let me know if you have any trouble with it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

18. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 02:54 Flatline

Jivaro wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 23:51:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 23:33:
Of course by then we should have Grim Dawn, a well developed PoE, Project Eternity, etc. etc.

Yep. Very much looking forward to Grim Dawn in particular. Right now POE, TL2 and GW2 keep me very entertained and I just don't see a D3 expansion enticing me away from them, particularly if they want me to pay typical Blizzard pricing for it. The gameplay of D3 wasn't horrid, but it wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable as any of those 3 games. I can see giving POE, TL2, and GW2 money to extend and enhance my already enjoyable time spent playing them. Not so much with D3, it seems like it would be a wasted investment.

I know I will go back occasionally, mainly out of morbid curiosity, but I also know I won't be giving them anymore money.

We just ran our first dungeon raid in GW2 tonight and it was *awesome* (there's only 5 people in our guild, so getting a dungeon group together is a pain in the ass). Every time I think the game is burning out on me I try something new and get cracked out on it again.

17. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 02:27 PropheT

I'm still willing to give a Diablo 3 expansion a chance if there's any indication that they learned from their mistakes. As much as I hated the storytelling in the new game and their direction with the auction houses being a force in the game, D3 was still the most fun co-op LAN party experience I've had in 10 years.

Heart of the Swarm is just plain too late, I honestly don't even care about it at this point...although I can't say I was ever a huge Starcraft fan in the first place.

Mists of Pandaria was silly, the trailer was goofy, and the expansion is the best the game has seen in a long time. I never thought I'd go back and I've been enjoying the hell out of it for the last month+ now.

16. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 02:24 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 02:15 edaciousx

don't write off diablo yet... who knows, blizzzard may even hire the original team back! Anything is possible.

As for Starcraft, I didn't really get into SC1 much and when I did it was only for the multiplayer. SC2 really impressed me, I am absolutely getting SC2 expansion. D3 Expansion, MEH. D3 sucked....

14. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 02:13 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

13. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 01:23 Scottish Martial Arts

Have they announced how much heart of swarm will cost? I can't see paying another $60.

$39.99 same as every other Blizzard expansion since at least Lords of Destruction. I kinda recall getting Brood War for $30, but it might have been on sale when I picked it up, or the mere fact that it was 14 years ago means my memory has faded a bit.

I still enjoy Blizzard releases, even the much reviled Diablo 3, but good god, they're even worse than Valve at this point when it comes to timely releases. It's been over two years since Starcraft II was released, and it'll still probably be another 6 months or so before Heart of the Swarm is out -- a ridiculous amount of time for what's supposed to be 20+ single player missions, and a half dozen or so new multiplayer units.

12. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 00:45 FloorPie

Have they announced how much heart of swarm will cost? I can't see paying another $60. I enjoyed the storyline and cutscenes in sc2, more than the first game but multiplayer held no interest. Just wait a few days for the cutscenes to be put on youtube to see the rest of the story.  

11. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 00:19 El Pit

Buy 50 zerglings in the RMAH and rush your enemies in multiplayer right at the start! Win guaranteed for only $4.99! Buy a Silver Zergling pet for your marines - just $3.99. WIN $$$!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

10. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 7, 2012, 23:52 Prez

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 22:16:
Does anyone care? I sure don't. I think I'm pretty much done with Actiblizz now.

I would like to finish the story arc for Starcraft 2 myself. I will only do that, however, if they allow offline play with the sequels like they did with the Terran campaign. But yeah, I will never play another Diablo again after the disaster they turned D3 into. Make the same mistakes with Heart of the Swarm and I'll write them off completely and never look back.

- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 7, 2012, 23:51 Jivaro

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 23:33:
Of course by then we should have Grim Dawn, a well developed PoE, Project Eternity, etc. etc.

Yep. Very much looking forward to Grim Dawn in particular. Right now POE, TL2 and GW2 keep me very entertained and I just don't see a D3 expansion enticing me away from them, particularly if they want me to pay typical Blizzard pricing for it. The gameplay of D3 wasn't horrid, but it wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable as any of those 3 games. I can see giving POE, TL2, and GW2 money to extend and enhance my already enjoyable time spent playing them. Not so much with D3, it seems like it would be a wasted investment.

I know I will go back occasionally, mainly out of morbid curiosity, but I also know I won't be giving them anymore money.

8. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 7, 2012, 23:33 MoreLuckThanSkill

nin wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 23:22:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 23:07:
I won't buy an expansion for D3.

I think this will be the first blizzard purchase I skip. I just have 0 interest in going back to D3.

This is a common opinion these days, but ironically D3 is the best it's been, in terms of playability/drop rates. It'll be interesting to see the state of D3 by the time the expansion comes out in 2015.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo