Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully

A Techdirt article looks at issues users are having with new Razer Naga mice, as there are complaints that its Synapse 2.0 software requires an internet connection the first time it's used, leading to the inevitable story of someone who could not use his new mouse because the authentication servers were down (thanks Brandon). They note a Facebook explanation from Razer saying this is not the case, and that the mouse will work out of the box, and the software requiring the internet includes added functionality to save profiles in the cloud (actually saying this reduces the cost of mice, which apparently were requiring ever-more flash memory for the convenience of portable settings). Techdirt refutes the claim that the mice "work perfectly well out of the box without Synapse 2.0," and the forum post that set all this in motion also notes that the Privacy Policy for this software seems surprisingly nosey:

By using Razer Synapse 2.0 (“Synapse”), the Subscriber agrees that Razer may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information. Razer may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Razer shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.

Razer may use customer contact information provided by Subscribers to send information about Razer, including news about product updates, contests, events, and other promotional materials, but only if the Subscriber agrees to receive such communications. Except in the cases described below, Razer will not share personally identifiable information with any third party unless the Subscriber agrees to such disclosure in advance.

While provision of personally identifiable information remains entirely voluntary, Razer reserves the right to make access to certain value-added services or features conditional upon the supply of personally identifiable information. In such situations, the Subscriber will be given the option to decline use of the particular value added service or feature if he does not wish to furnish personally identifiable information.

In some situations, personally identifiable information the Subscriber inputs in connection with Synapse may be made searchable or otherwise available to other Subscribers (such as in certain public functions). Razer has no obligation to keep the privacy of personally identifiable information that is made available by a Subscriber to other Subscribers.

Collection of personally identifiable information may be out-sourced to associates under agreement with Razer. These associates may adhere to their own set of privacy policies.

Personally identifiable information will be processed and stored by Razer in databases hosted in secure locations. Razer has taken reasonable steps to protect the information Subscribers share with it, including, but not limited to, setup of processes, equipment and software to avoid unauthorized access or disclosure of this information.

Razer may allow third parties performing services under contract with Razer to access stored information but such access shall only be to the extent necessary to provide those services. In those instances, the third party will be bound by the terms of this Privacy Policy.

Razer may release personally identifiable information to comply with court orders or laws that require us to disclose such information, without the need of consent from the Subscriber.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 06:58 strong placebo

gotta have everything on "the cloud" == sarcasm  
"More turn-based please"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 06:12 eRe4s3r

Logitech MX518 Refurb (has larger glide pads) for the win. And yes, I know once that dies I have to go to the G400 .. but so far it's keeping together nicely  

26. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 06:12 Julio

Kajetan wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 04:34:
This is necessary to fight the rampant hardware piracy the industry is facing today. People just copy a mouse from their workplace or friends, on the Internet millions of copied mouse hardware, worth a few billion dollars, are distributed freeley. This HAS to stop!

ROFL nice one. I'll never buy a Razer product, do they want a DNA sample too at point of purchase?

25. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 05:26 Kajetan

J wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 05:13:
I blame 3D printers
3D printers are the new WMDs of the Digital Age. No, i mean it. Seriously. 3D printers WILL change our economical and sociological structure in ways we cant imagine.

24. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 05:15 Prez

This is necessary to fight the rampant hardware piracy the industry is facing today. People just copy a mouse from their workplace or friends, on the Internet millions of copied mouse hardware, worth a few billion dollars, are distributed freeley. This HAS to stop!

Well played, sir!

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 05:13 J

I blame 3D printers

22. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 04:34 Kajetan

21. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 04:34 RailWizard

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 00:50:
Fion wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 23:55:
Logitech G700

Best mouse I ever owned, and yes I have owned a few razors and didn't really like them. I'll avoid them in the future thanks to crap like this.

The G700 is a nice mouse indeed, lots of buttons and configuration options.. but for gaming I would recommend a G400. They have yet to integrate the sensor currently used in the G400 (Avago 3095) with their other models, but it is considered a "flawless" sensor, meaning 1:1 movement translation with no acceleration, prediction and all that other fun stuff.

Admittedly, if you aren't in to FPS games or similar twitch response action titles.. the sensor really doesn't matter as much.

Yeah the only problem with those for me is they are both right handed only. I've been looking at the G300, though tbh I've used Logitech mice before and there was a reason I stopped(shit quality). The only other mice that have caught my eye might be from Steelseries, but they are a newer brand and their button layout kind of sucks. Microsoft is no longer an option it seems, some of their mice look like applefied abortions.

20. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 04:34 ASeven

Online DRM on this type of hardware? Fuck that shit. Fuck you Razer, not buying anything more from ypu.  

19. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 04:16 Fibrocyte

I have a Razer Naga MMO mouse running in Windows 8 and I never installed anything to get it to go. The side buttons work just fine, too.  

18. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 03:26 shinchan0s

All the Razer stuff my brother owned (a headset and two Nagas) broke within a year. Both Nagas had the same right clicking issue.

Me, I'll stick with Logitech.

17. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 02:48 PropheT

I like Razer mice generally, but their information doesn't mesh with the changes in Synapse 2.0. Synapse 1 allowed you to use offline mode, or not even use Synapse at all, and still have full configuration of the mouse; I have no idea why they'd decide you need Synapse with 2.0 in order to access features that aren't actually tied to the profiling feature of Synapse in the first place.

Not just putting the memory on the mouse because of pricing concerns is absolute bullshit, though. The Corsair M90 is more solidly built than a Naga, uses better materials than the Naga, has onboard hardware profiles, and can often be found for $20-$30 cheaper.

All that said, even though I think some of Razer's other mice are among the best available, the Naga's popularity baffles me; it is a steaming pile for regular use since most of the gimmicky buttons aren't anywhere approaching usability, and the standard back/forward navigation buttons are so far out of place that they may as well not even be there. Even for the games they're intended for there's more comfortable and easier ways to customize a setup without sacrificing the usefulness of your mouse for other functions on your PC.

16. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 01:49 LittleMe

What an intrusive and offensive policy in so many ways. That said, at least you have a choice to not use their products. You had no choice in the presidential election. Both supported the illegal fascist spy state.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

15. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 01:42 Kitkoan

My roommate has a Razer Naga Epic (wireless one) and it's not even a month old. Was plug and play, no problems. They also don't have the cloud program mentioned here. Sounds like something fishy since this experience doesn't match the reality.

I also have the Razer Naga Molten, and while that cloud program is optional, it's not required to use it.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

14. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 00:53 MisterBenn

For what it's worth I have a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard and love it. The Razer Deathadder mouse is good enough without being spectacular. I don't do any serious, high speed mouse gaming - I just want an accurate, reliable mouse and it fits that function happily.

Needless to say, any kind of behaviour tracking or network requirements on future peripherals would be completely unacceptable and would rule out such products from being bought.

Playing: Path of Exile.

13. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 00:53 NegaDeath

"To give gamers the same benefits provided in Synapse 1.0 and more, we invented Synapse 2.0. Instead of having mouse settings limited by the space in onboard memory, Synapse 2.0 allows gamers to now have almost unlimited space for their profiles and macros. Moreover, other new functionalities such as being able to interact with other peripherals on the same architecture (i.e. keymaps between mice and keyboards) are now possible. Now gamers are also able to easily import and export profiles with their friends."

Is that a thing now? Do people actually do that?

"Hey man, I'm using 1600 DPI and assigned mouse 7 to the letter Q, it's sweet."
"Really? Aw man download that shit to my mouse!"

Edit: Maybe I'm being harsh and its a tournament thing?

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2012, 01:01.

12. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 00:50 Mordecai Walfish

Fion wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 23:55:
Logitech G700

Best mouse I ever owned, and yes I have owned a few razors and didn't really like them. I'll avoid them in the future thanks to crap like this.

The G700 is a nice mouse indeed, lots of buttons and configuration options.. but for gaming I would recommend a G400. They have yet to integrate the sensor currently used in the G400 (Avago 3095) with their other models, but it is considered a "flawless" sensor, meaning 1:1 movement translation with no acceleration, prediction and all that other fun stuff.

Admittedly, if you aren't in to FPS games or similar twitch response action titles.. the sensor really doesn't matter as much.

11. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 00:20 ^Drag0n^

On that note, why in the hell would I need a cloud-based hardware profile if I take the damn mouse with me?  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

10. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 00:18 ^Drag0n^

As an avid supporter of Razer through the 5+ devices plugged into the PC I'm typing on, I have to say I'm quite disappointed. Requiring an internet connection when you can, as someone said, drop a 50 cent EEPROM into a device is redic.

Until they change that, and that ridiculously over-intrusive privacy policy, I've probably bought my last Razer device. There is *zero* reason for a mouse/keyboard/audio driver to need more information on you than OS type and what device you're installing. It certainly doesn't need to broadcast it back home.

Absolutely asinine, Razer. 1000%

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

9. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 00:02 m0deth

In some situations, personally identifiable information the Subscriber inputs in connection with Synapse may be made searchable or otherwise available to other Subscribers (such as in certain public functions). Razer has no obligation to keep the privacy of personally identifiable information that is made available by a Subscriber to other Subscribers.

Collection of personally identifiable information may be out-sourced to associates under agreement with Razer. These associates may adhere to their own set of privacy policies.

The asshat that came up with this must be fun at parties.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo