Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

With the drama of the election concluded, this area is bracing for a classic Nor'easter today. For the unfamiliar this is the typical severe weather pattern for this area, and has many of the earmarks of a hurricane, which would be bad enough if it wasn't on the heels of an actual hurricane (much less the largest Atlantic hurricane on record). We should be fine here, but can only hope that the many people still displaced or out of power in the area are adequately sheltered, and cross our fingers that the storm is not as severe as predicted, as the timing of this is pretty terrible.

Stormy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Sushi Cat 2: The Great Purrade.
Stories: Barack Obama wins 2012 election.
Fire Possibly Caused By Resident Cooking Squirrel. That's why you microwave them.
Voters in Washington and Colorado legalize recreational marijuana.
Science: Dude Takes Pregnancy Test, Finds Out He Has Testicular Cancer. Thanks nin.
Images: Making the vote count: Voting machines then and now.
Media: Sarah Silverman has a "Dirty" Smartphone "Hack."
Check Out this Football Player!
Landing Plane Crashes into a Moving Car.
London Comic Con - Cosplay.
Follow-up: Woman who drove on sidewalk to avoid school bus must wear 'idiot' sign. Thanks Cutter.

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 13:11 Raven

Why an "idiot" sign? She should have to wear a "crossing guard" sign and walk kids across a busy street for a week or so.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 13:08 John

Bodolza wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 12:22:
TangledThorns wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 11:35:
Its amazing how my liberal friends spin the $16 trillion debt as not a big deal. GG America. Time to invest in gold.

Maybe they don't see at as a big deal because they just re-elected a president who has promised to reduce it, and laid out a plan on how to do so.
Yeah, we'll see how that turns out.

As far as investing in gold, China is buying up a lot of that.

This space is available for rent

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 13:00 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 10:58:
Why the fuck is she not in jail??
Because it would mean one less violent criminal in jail? But even as I say that, I think a 2-4 week stint in the county jail probably would do her some good.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 12:36 JohnBirshire

Its amazing how my liberal friends spin the $16 trillion debt as not a big deal. GG America. Time to invest in gold.

Uhmm...because it isn't? I'm not Republican or Democrat, so I'm not bias one way or the other, but I do have an economics degree. The US debt increases everytime we are in a recession, it is an economic necessity. It doesn't matter who is president at the time, our national debt would have gone up significantly even if Mccain was president the last four years. When the economy recovers, which it will *no matter who is president* the debt will be lowered. Its how it has always been, and will always be. Oh, and the kicker? When it is adjusted for inflation, the national debt has actually been TWICE as high as it is now...several times in our history. Go figure?! Sorry, but the sky isn't falling. Oh, and gold is a bubble that will burst like all bubbles do, good luck.

As for marijuana, it is the most over-rated drug of all time. The people who say how bad it is bad are misinformed, and the people who rave about how awesome it is are over-exagerrating. Although I will never use it even if it is legalized, I still don't think it should be illegal.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 12:34 NegaDeath

"Deficits don't matter"
-Head Liberal Dick Cheney

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 12:22 Bodolza

Its amazing how my liberal friends spin the $16 trillion debt as not a big deal.

Maybe they don't see at as a big deal because they just re-elected a president who has promised to reduce it, and laid out a plan on how to do so.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 11:42 1badmf

count me in among the states right > federal bloat crowd. differentiation among the states was one of the things the founding fathers wanted to promote; sort of a U2-esque 'one but not the same' approach to civics. do what you want as long as you don't violate the constitution, but of course that got thrown out a long time ago with the abuse of the interstate commerce clause.

i've partaken before, don't see what the big deal is. just makes me feel stupid.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 11:35 TangledThorns

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 11:15 Prez

I am thinking of moving to Colorado. Living in Tennessee smack dab in the heart of the Bible Belt ("Smoking weed will damn your soul to HELL!!! Can I get an 'Amen?") means such a measure would never pass here. While it is a relatively harmless recreational drug, what it really is useful for is chronic pain relief. Yes, speaking from experience here.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 11:08 nin

That said, I can't believe she got off with $250 and losing her license for 30 days. Why the fuck is she not in jail??

Yeah, that was a little light. Wouldn't be surprised if she did it again.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:58 Creston

I'm sure the "idiot sign" woman is just going to get a lawyer and argue that the government cannot order her to humiliate herself in public.

That said, I can't believe she got off with $250 and losing her license for 30 days. Why the fuck is she not in jail??

Creston

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:56 NegaDeath

sauron wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 10:17:
I was in bed by 10, mainly to avoid the rampant punditry. Looks like the statisticians got their predictions largely correct - I was quite impressed.

Am considering a Sauron/Shelob ticket for 2016.

Interesting. Would a Sauron/Shelob presidency guarantee my constitutional right to hunt Hobbits?

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:47 InBlack

Not to mention that if a few more states follow, the pressure would be on to change the federal law...Which would put pressure on other more liberal European countries to follow suit.

Guess what? Legalized marijuana production & sales can be taxed. Also cannabis can be used for so much more then getting high...

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:27 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 10:04:
I'm rather surprised the recreational marijuana passed. Opens up a number of new questions (If federal says it's illegal, then what? If someones involved in an accident, how is it determined (or at what level) are they under the influence? Will the munchies finally lead to violent crime? ( ) etc etc).

Went to bed at 11, missed the speeches...

This is why the States should have the power to regulate their own state rather than the bloated fed lording over everyone. The tax money they would make by legalizing would be astounding.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:20 PHJF

I don't think the Feds are going to do anything about it. Nobody wants to start another States Rights battle, especially one so large as this would generate. The usual federal-level war on drugs will continue but we aren't going to see anything like a Volstead Act enforcement policy arise in either state.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:17 sauron

I was in bed by 10, mainly to avoid the rampant punditry. Looks like the statisticians got their predictions largely correct - I was quite impressed.

Am considering a Sauron/Shelob ticket for 2016.

Kittens!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:17 InBlack

People have been smoking herbs since time immemorial. People have been distilling or brewing alcohol since time immemorial. Legalise it, dont criticise it and certianly there is no need to confuse it... Is it legal to drink? Is it legal to drink and drive?  

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 10:04 nin

I'm rather surprised the recreational marijuana passed. Opens up a number of new questions (If federal says it's illegal, then what? If someones involved in an accident, how is it determined (or at what level) are they under the influence? Will the munchies finally lead to violent crime? ( ) etc etc).

Went to bed at 11, missed the speeches...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 09:56 John

Well, at least we got Sunday alcohol sales here...  
This space is available for rent

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo