Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

With the drama of the election concluded, this area is bracing for a classic Nor'easter today. For the unfamiliar this is the typical severe weather pattern for this area, and has many of the earmarks of a hurricane, which would be bad enough if it wasn't on the heels of an actual hurricane (much less the largest Atlantic hurricane on record). We should be fine here, but can only hope that the many people still displaced or out of power in the area are adequately sheltered, and cross our fingers that the storm is not as severe as predicted, as the timing of this is pretty terrible.

Stormy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Sushi Cat 2: The Great Purrade.
Stories: Barack Obama wins 2012 election.
Fire Possibly Caused By Resident Cooking Squirrel. That's why you microwave them.
Voters in Washington and Colorado legalize recreational marijuana.
Science: Dude Takes Pregnancy Test, Finds Out He Has Testicular Cancer. Thanks nin.
Images: Making the vote count: Voting machines then and now.
Media: Sarah Silverman has a "Dirty" Smartphone "Hack."
Check Out this Football Player!
Landing Plane Crashes into a Moving Car.
London Comic Con - Cosplay.
Follow-up: Woman who drove on sidewalk to avoid school bus must wear 'idiot' sign. Thanks Cutter.

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 16:02 Wowbagger_TIP

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 13:48:
PHJF wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 10:20:
I don't think the Feds are going to do anything about it. Nobody wants to start another States Rights battle, especially one so large as this would generate. The usual federal-level war on drugs will continue but we aren't going to see anything like a Volstead Act enforcement policy arise in either state.

They already have... There's been loads of federales coming into California over the past few years to shut down marijuana dispensaries, which are perfectly legal by the state's laws, under orders from ol' Barry. And that's just for MEDICAL usage (technically, we all know people get it for "chronic back pain," etc.), who knows what's going to happen in states where it's been approved for recreational use and any adult over 21 can buy it at the corner liquor store? It's good that CO and WA have done this though, so that we can find out. Hopefully in a few more years, after we shed a bunch more old codgers who are still brainwashed by Reefer Madness, we can at least decriminalize it on the federal level. It's mind-boggling how far they've gone with the propaganda over the past century to make people think smoking weed is like sucking the devil's D, to the point where the majority of politicians and/or their constituents are blind to the fact that it would be a massive boon to economies everywhere, on every level.

And this is coming from a guy who never has and probably never will smoke weed... It's just common sense.

As long as it's illegal under Federal law, the DOJ is going to pursue it. All they can do is shift priorities around, but they're still going to have to pursue it. It's kind of the same thing Obama did with immigration. He shifted the priorities around, to focusing on deporting criminals rather than people with jobs or students, but he's still deporting a lot of people. We really need the federal laws to get fixed. I think Obama is going to be pushing hard for immigration reform this term. I'd be surprised to see drug law reform as a priority though.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 7, 2012, 15:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Atomic wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:42:
Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:10:
Yes, because the GOP wouldn't permit anything to get done.

It's not like Obama or the democrats are moving to the middle to meet them either, though. They can only be expected to move so far. If they move all the way, it's not compromise, it's capitulation.

Obamacare is the shining example of his "my way or the highway" approach to policy. Wouldn't even stop to let it be read before it was voted on, for goodness sake.

Democrats did move to the right, offering up something like 3 or 4 to 1 cuts to revenues. GOP wouldn't even consider it unless they agreed to 0 revenue increase. THAT is "my way or the highway".

Obamacare is basically the Republican plan from the 90s. It's certainly centrist. Too centrist to be very good, unfortunately, but it's still a hell of the lot better than continuing our completely broken and stupidly expensive system the way we have been. Republicans weren't offering any better ideas. They weren't going to get people covered, they weren't going to deal with the problem of pre-existing conditions. They had no solutions.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 15:54 Wowbagger_TIP

John wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:17:
Had the Democrats taken control of both houses they'd have everything fixed inside of 4 years. The economy always and only works under the democrats and because of their policies.
The Democrats had control of both houses and Presidency in 2008.

And yet again, no they didn't. With Republicans filibustering everything in sight, and the Dems without a filibuster-proof majority, they really did not have control.

36. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 7, 2012, 15:42 Atomic

Yes, because the GOP wouldn't permit anything to get done.

It's not like Obama or the democrats are moving to the middle to meet them either, though. They can only be expected to move so far. If they move all the way, it's not compromise, it's capitulation.

Obamacare is the shining example of his "my way or the highway" approach to policy. Wouldn't even stop to let it be read before it was voted on, for goodness sake.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

35. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 15:40 banddirector

This is why the States should have the power to regulate their own state rather than the bloated fed lording over everyone. The tax money they would make by legalizing would be astounding.

And that's why WA state passed it - - we don't have an income tax ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

34. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 15:26 sauron

Nevermind the politics, the weather up here in NYC is ab-so-lutely awful. The snow is hammering down and we have winds of 30mph, and it's gonna go on like this all night.

I hope the city is on the ball, 'cause if not there are gonna be major problems in areas hit by Sandy last week. This is a real big, bad Nor'easter, and people in those areas better get inside somewhere warm and dry pronto.

Kittens!

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 15:26 Mr. Tact

And as detailed here, only had a filibuster proof 60 votes for 72 calendar days. And since these days all that is required for a senator to kill a bill is to call and say, "I'm going to filibuster". Which is a total joke. Make them get up and talk endlessly until the other side agrees to change the subject.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 15:26 Hoop

I read under the stories links "Fire possibly caused by President cooking Squirrel." And for a nanosecond I thought "hell of a way to celebrate re-election.

Um .. Behind you...

31. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 15:17 John

Had the Democrats taken control of both houses they'd have everything fixed inside of 4 years. The economy always and only works under the democrats and because of their policies.
The Democrats had control of both houses and Presidency in 2008.

This space is available for rent

30. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 15:10 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 14:26:
Bodolza wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 12:22:
Maybe they don't see at as a big deal because they just re-elected a president who has promised to reduce it, and laid out a plan on how to do so.
lmao. This is from the same president who said he would cut the deficit from Bush by half in his first term, in his first year by half. Okay there, let me give you a tip. The difference was...Obama's deficit was an increase of 500-600% every year.

Yes, because the GOP wouldn't permit anything to get done. How the fuck do you fix anything when those assholes won't budge a single inch on anything? Obstructionist politics is their domain and the debt and deficit are entirely their fault. ENTIRLEY. 'Boner' has already come out and said they have no intention of working the democrats so there you go. GOPs fault as per usual. Had the Democrats taken control of both houses they'd have everything fixed inside of 4 years. The economy always and only works under the democrats and because of their policies.

Oh, and for the record austerity budgets don't work to fix recessions. Never have, never will. It takes money to make money.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 14:26 Mashiki Amiketo

Bodolza wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 12:22:
Maybe they don't see at as a big deal because they just re-elected a president who has promised to reduce it, and laid out a plan on how to do so.
lmao. This is from the same president who said he would cut the deficit from Bush by half in his first term, in his first year by half. Okay there, let me give you a tip. The difference was...Obama's deficit was an increase of 500-600% every year.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 14:20 OneEye

In a ressesion, the defict will go up. There is less money for the government to collect. Add to that the "Bush Tax Cuts" and there is even less money. Obama could have gotten rid of the Tax Cut and lowered the deficit, but he chose (the more wise path IMO) to keep it in place (for now). Spending under Obama is actually pretty similar to Bush. There is just less money being collected...

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/06/obamas-spending-inferno-or-not/

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 14:17 Yosemite Sam

Tuned to Fox when the election was called and wasnt dissapointed. Carl vs the number crunchers, fantasy against reality and the anchors empty heads clueless as per usual, priceless.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 14:12 Jivaro

I think the Feds are more worried about the drugs coming into the States rather then the drugs made in the States, if you get my meaning.

Since we are in a bit of cultural transition regarding drugs, this seems to make the most sense as well. For example, we are a long ways off from all of the states being in agreement over marijuana like they (mostly) are with alcohol.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 14:06 NegaDeath

TangledThorns wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 13:48:
Learn the difference between debt and deficit.

Don't see your point.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 13:48 jacobvandy

PHJF wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 10:20:
I don't think the Feds are going to do anything about it. Nobody wants to start another States Rights battle, especially one so large as this would generate. The usual federal-level war on drugs will continue but we aren't going to see anything like a Volstead Act enforcement policy arise in either state.

They already have... There's been loads of federales coming into California over the past few years to shut down marijuana dispensaries, which are perfectly legal by the state's laws, under orders from ol' Barry. And that's just for MEDICAL usage (technically, we all know people get it for "chronic back pain," etc.), who knows what's going to happen in states where it's been approved for recreational use and any adult over 21 can buy it at the corner liquor store? It's good that CO and WA have done this though, so that we can find out. Hopefully in a few more years, after we shed a bunch more old codgers who are still brainwashed by Reefer Madness, we can at least decriminalize it on the federal level. It's mind-boggling how far they've gone with the propaganda over the past century to make people think smoking weed is like sucking the devil's D, to the point where the majority of politicians and/or their constituents are blind to the fact that it would be a massive boon to economies everywhere, on every level.

And this is coming from a guy who never has and probably never will smoke weed... It's just common sense.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 13:48 TangledThorns

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 12:34:
TangledThorns wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 11:35:
Its amazing how my liberal friends spin the $16 trillion debt as not a big deal. GG America. Time to invest in gold.

"Deficits don't matter"
-Head Liberal Dick Cheney

Learn the difference between debt and deficit.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 13:37 sauron

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 10:56:
sauron wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 10:17:
I was in bed by 10, mainly to avoid the rampant punditry. Looks like the statisticians got their predictions largely correct - I was quite impressed.

Am considering a Sauron/Shelob ticket for 2016.

Interesting. Would a Sauron/Shelob presidency guarantee my constitutional right to hunt Hobbits?

Yes, in fact that would be one of our major initiatives.

Another would be crime. We're all for it.

Kittens!

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 13:31 SimplyMonk

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 12:36:
When it is adjusted for inflation, the national debt has actually been TWICE as high as it is now...

Good ol' inflation. Given enough time, all the money we owe will be able to be paid in by a high school child's allowance. Jokes on you, China!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 13:23 Jivaro

Raven wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 13:11:
Why an "idiot" sign? She should have to wear a "crossing guard" sign and walk kids across a busy street for a week or so.

If I were a parent of a kid riding that bus....I wouldn't want her with that responsibility.

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo