Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

With the drama of the election concluded, this area is bracing for a classic Nor'easter today. For the unfamiliar this is the typical severe weather pattern for this area, and has many of the earmarks of a hurricane, which would be bad enough if it wasn't on the heels of an actual hurricane (much less the largest Atlantic hurricane on record). We should be fine here, but can only hope that the many people still displaced or out of power in the area are adequately sheltered, and cross our fingers that the storm is not as severe as predicted, as the timing of this is pretty terrible.

Stormy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Sushi Cat 2: The Great Purrade.
Stories: Barack Obama wins 2012 election.
Fire Possibly Caused By Resident Cooking Squirrel. That's why you microwave them.
Voters in Washington and Colorado legalize recreational marijuana.
Science: Dude Takes Pregnancy Test, Finds Out He Has Testicular Cancer. Thanks nin.
Images: Making the vote count: Voting machines then and now.
Media: Sarah Silverman has a "Dirty" Smartphone "Hack."
Check Out this Football Player!
Landing Plane Crashes into a Moving Car.
London Comic Con - Cosplay.
Follow-up: Woman who drove on sidewalk to avoid school bus must wear 'idiot' sign. Thanks Cutter.

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

59. Mass Effect 3 N7 Day Nov 7, 2012, 20:11 The Half Elf

Log into Mass Effect 3 multiplayer for the next 1 day 5 or so hours and get a free kit to celebrate Nov. 7th.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 20:06 Bodolza

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 19:35:
Really? Odd how that works, it seems to have done a very good job up here in Canada over and over again.

Well it sure as hell isn't working for Europe.

Then again, turning on the printing presses repeatedly is always a great way to devalue your currency and fiscally screw yourselves over the long term.

Oddly, printing money can help get out of debt. Like you said, it devalues your currency, which means your debt obligations are lower since the debt is now worth less.

57. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 20:03 Prez

Isn't 'austerity' simply a case where there is no more money for the social projects that put the major drain on the countries resources in the first place and thus they end out of a simple lack of money? I didn't think it was something implemented to "fix" anything; rather more of a matter of necessity than anything due to a complete lack of the ability to pay for them. I'm basing this on what I've read about what's going on in Greece in recent years, so if I don't have the right of it feel free to clue me in.

Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically, but if I can no longer afford my car payment I have little choice but to get rid of my car due to a lack of money.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

56. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 19:35 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:10:
Oh, and for the record austerity budgets don't work to fix recessions. Never have, never will. It takes money to make money.
Really? Odd how that works, it seems to have done a very good job up here in Canada over and over again. Then again, turning on the printing presses repeatedly is always a great way to devalue your currency and fiscally screw yourselves over the long term.

You don't make money, by bankrupting yourself either.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

55. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 19:23 Cutter

Speaking of Steam, they just gave me two copies of DOTA 2 to give away if anyone is interested.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

54. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 7, 2012, 18:12 Wowbagger_TIP

Atomic wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:16:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:58:
They weren't going to get people covered, they weren't going to deal with the problem of pre-existing conditions. They had no solutions.

Atomic wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:05:
None that you heard through traditional media anyway. There were actually several, but most are free market based, so immediately rejected by big government proponents.

- Medical Liability Reform "enact common-sense medical liability reforms to lower costs, rein in junk lawsuits and curb defensive medicine"
- Purchase Health Insurance Across State Lines "spurs competition in the market"
- Expand Health Savings Accounts (HSA's)
- Ensure Access for Patients with Pre-Existing Conditions "make it illegal for an insurance company to deny coverage to someone with prior coverage on the basis of a pre-existing condition, eliminate annual and lifetime spending caps, and prevent insurers from dropping your coverage just because you get sick"

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:08:
Right, and how were they going to get that last one through? That's what the mandate was for, which was a Republican idea from the 90s. Also, how were they going to reconcile state laws to allow for purchasing across state lines? They never really addressed that either. So these were just sort of ideas thrown out, but without a real explanation of how they could actually be implemented.

My point being you just said none and that is clearly more than none. Yes, the details never got completely worked out, but because they were never allowed to be discussed.
I said none that actually addressed the major problems with the system. Just saying that you're going to cover pre-existing conditions doesn't cut it. Romney couldn't even say that much (or at least his campaign corrected him when he did). Nobody was stopping the Republicans from discussing the issue or figuring out how they planned to actually do these things, but they never offered an actual plan. Brainstorming is not a plan.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

53. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 18:02 NegaDeath

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:54:
Anyone having issues with Steam? Can't connect.

Just tried now, connection error here too.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 18:00 Prez

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:54:

Not sure if it's related in any way but I have been having lots of dropped connections while playing Borderlands 2 the last couple of nights myself. It doesn't affect the game at all - I just keep seeing a message that the connection to Steam is lost and then another saying it has been restored some time later.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

51. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 17:54 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

50. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 17:51 Scottish Martial Arts

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 16:17:
I went half hour before polls closed, figured the weather would keep people away....not the case. I stood in line for 3 hours.....it is fucking 2012....and it felt like it was the 1700s....

Man, what is it with these third world polling places back East? Here in California I was in and out in about two minutes. Of course, we have a huge absentee balloting system, where you can opt to have your ballot mailed to you about a month in advance, and then you can either mail it in, or drop it off at your polling place on election day, as I did.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 17:38 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:17:
I went half hour before polls closed, figured the weather would keep people away....not the case. I stood in line for 3 hours.....it is fucking 2012....and it felt like it was the 1700s....

Yeah, been hearing tons about that. That boggles the mind. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes to cast a vote and I live in major city.

Well, the next district up had no lines all day....and that was 10 blocks away....wtf.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

48. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 17:17 Cutter

Yeah, been hearing tons about that. That boggles the mind. I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes to cast a vote and I live in major city.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

47. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 7, 2012, 17:16 Atomic

They weren't going to get people covered, they weren't going to deal with the problem of pre-existing conditions. They had no solutions.

None that you heard through traditional media anyway. There were actually several, but most are free market based, so immediately rejected by big government proponents.

- Medical Liability Reform "enact common-sense medical liability reforms to lower costs, rein in junk lawsuits and curb defensive medicine"
- Purchase Health Insurance Across State Lines "spurs competition in the market"
- Ensure Access for Patients with Pre-Existing Conditions "make it illegal for an insurance company to deny coverage to someone with prior coverage on the basis of a pre-existing condition, eliminate annual and lifetime spending caps, and prevent insurers from dropping your coverage just because you get sick"

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 17:08:
Right, and how were they going to get that last one through? That's what the mandate was for, which was a Republican idea from the 90s. Also, how were they going to reconcile state laws to allow for purchasing across state lines? They never really addressed that either. So these were just sort of ideas thrown out, but without a real explanation of how they could actually be implemented.

My point being you just said none and that is clearly more than none. Yes, the details never got completely worked out, but because they were never allowed to be discussed.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

46. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 7, 2012, 17:08 PHJF

I stood in line for 3 hours.....it is fucking 2012....and it felt like it was the 1700s....

If there's one thing that will never go out of style it's queuing. Who doesn't love a good queue??? At the pharmacy, at the grocers, at McDonalds, at the bank, at the movies... nothing is more natural than ordering packs of human beings into organized lines!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

45. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 7, 2012, 17:08 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

44. Re: Fast-food Logos Imprinted on Children's Brains Nov 7, 2012, 17:05 Atomic

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

43. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 16:42 Wowbagger_TIP

John wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 16:04:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:54:
And yet again, no they didn't. With Republicans filibustering everything in sight, and the Dems without a filibuster-proof majority, they really did not have control.
Let me rephrase that, they had the majority in 2008. The way the country is split nowadays you can't expect either side to get complete control.
Mr. Tact already addressed this point, so I'll just say I agree with him.

Too centrist to be very good, unfortunately, but it's still a hell of the lot better than continuing our completely broken and stupidly expensive system the way we have been.
And it's still getting more expensive all the time..

Well, two things about that. First, most of the health care reform hasn't gone into effect yet, and won't until 2014. Second, it's certainly not a total solution, and they are still experimenting with ways to reduce the costs further. That's designed into the law. It should bring costs down, or at least slow the growth significantly, but getting anything else passed was going to be next to impossible.

That said, I am certainly open to other ideas, but other than going full single-payer, I haven't seen any that actually address the major problems with the current system.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 16:17 Mr. Tact

Let me rephrase that, they had the majority in 2008. The way the country is split nowadays you can't expect either side to get complete control.
Unfortunately, with the increase in the number of filibusters (see this) without a 60 vote block in the senate, you can be and often are, stymied.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 16:17 xXBatmanXx

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 16:04 John

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:54:
And yet again, no they didn't. With Republicans filibustering everything in sight, and the Dems without a filibuster-proof majority, they really did not have control.

Too centrist to be very good, unfortunately, but it's still a hell of the lot better than continuing our completely broken and stupidly expensive system the way we have been.
And it's still getting more expensive all the time..

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2012, 16:33.

This space is available for rent

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo