Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

With the drama of the election concluded, this area is bracing for a classic Nor'easter today. For the unfamiliar this is the typical severe weather pattern for this area, and has many of the earmarks of a hurricane, which would be bad enough if it wasn't on the heels of an actual hurricane (much less the largest Atlantic hurricane on record). We should be fine here, but can only hope that the many people still displaced or out of power in the area are adequately sheltered, and cross our fingers that the storm is not as severe as predicted, as the timing of this is pretty terrible.

Stormy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Sushi Cat 2: The Great Purrade.
Stories: Barack Obama wins 2012 election.
Fire Possibly Caused By Resident Cooking Squirrel. That's why you microwave them.
Voters in Washington and Colorado legalize recreational marijuana.
Science: Dude Takes Pregnancy Test, Finds Out He Has Testicular Cancer. Thanks nin.
Images: Making the vote count: Voting machines then and now.
Media: Sarah Silverman has a "Dirty" Smartphone "Hack."
Check Out this Football Player!
Landing Plane Crashes into a Moving Car.
London Comic Con - Cosplay.
Follow-up: Woman who drove on sidewalk to avoid school bus must wear 'idiot' sign. Thanks Cutter.

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

79. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2012, 23:05 Bhruic

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 14:10:
Sure, but here's the thing. The US like Europe are in liquidity traps. Neither the US or Europe have actually cut spending to any manageable level. What you've done is kept spending or actually increased spending, while trimming off the friday night fast food fries from the meal. Then after feeling good from scarfing down the triple decker mc suck burger you went out and bought a $2500 plasma TV. And on saturday, you paid for that TV by shifting your debt across three different credit cards.

And you're damn lucky they are, because that's the way to get out of a recession. What you seem to be advocating for, actually reducing spending, is the worst way to try and get out. Because when everyone does it, purchasing goes down. When purchasing goes down, production has to go down. When production goes down, the raw goods suppliers slow down. And at every stage along the way you have people either layed off, or reduced hours. So unemployment skyrockets, more people can't even afford to buy necessities, welfare increases, which puts a higher demand on government spending at a time when they are taking in less money because tax revenue is down because people aren't working. Which just causes the spiral to continue and deepen.

I suppose there are worse ways to try and fight a recession - having everyone take their money and burn it, perhaps - but not many.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

78. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2012, 14:10 Mashiki Amiketo

Bodolza wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 20:06:
Well it sure as hell isn't working for Europe.
Europe's plan for Austerity. Cut spending by 0.3%, increase spending by 15% yep how's that work? Not very well. That's exactly what they did in Greece and Spain.

Oddly, printing money can help get out of debt. Like you said, it devalues your currency, which means your debt obligations are lower since the debt is now worth less.
Didn't work very well for Zimbabwe either. Or most countries that have an appended "new" to their currency name, Israel being one of the few who's managed to properly fix their currency values.

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 20:14:

No it hasn't. Trickle-up economics is what works. If people don't have a disposable income they don't buy anything and it all grinds to a halt. We've cut spending but it's hardly an austerity budget as we're still spending. That and solid regulation is what helped us stave off the disaster the US has seen. Oh yeah, and that regulation that saved our asses was what the PC were trying to gut so we could have more of American style banking system. Thankfully with their then minority they couldn't get it done or we really would be up shit creek right now. How the hell do you think FDR got the US out of the depression? The New Deal didn't just happen magically.
Sure, but here's the thing. The US like Europe are in liquidity traps. Neither the US or Europe have actually cut spending to any manageable level. What you've done is kept spending or actually increased spending, while trimming off the friday night fast food fries from the meal. Then after feeling good from scarfing down the triple decker mc suck burger you went out and bought a $2500 plasma TV. And on saturday, you paid for that TV by shifting your debt across three different credit cards.

FDR didn't get the US out of depression, he lengthened it. WWII got the US out of the depression. Any economist who is actually worth their salt and doesn't suck at the tit of Keynes will tell you the same thing. Keynes has done more damage to the financial system of the last 100 years than anyone else. Before that depressions and recessions were shorter, and harder. There's no shortage of papers on this view either written by Austrian economists.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

77. Re: Toasted Hobbits Nov 8, 2012, 10:40 Ant

sauron wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 10:37:
Ant wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 09:58:
sauron wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 08:46:
Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 21:12:
For all of you holdouts, I just noticed Skyrim is 35 bucks on Amazon. Good deal.

Hang in there Sauron, and stay warm!

Thanks! We spent the evening toasting hobbits over a roaring fire.

Videos and/or photo(graph)s please.

Here you go:

hobbit-toasting

Wait, what did you think I meant?....
Ha. I don't see any roaring fire.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

76. Re: Toasted Hobbits Nov 8, 2012, 10:37 sauron

Ant wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 09:58:
For all of you holdouts, I just noticed Skyrim is 35 bucks on Amazon. Good deal.

Here you go:

hobbit-toasting

Wait, what did you think I meant?....

Kittens!

75. Re: Toasted Hobbits Nov 8, 2012, 09:58 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

74. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2012, 08:46 sauron

Kittens!

73. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2012, 05:22 InBlack

Shiiiit Cutter if you got a spare count me in...

I was mildly interested in DOTA2 and downloaded the client a few weeks ago only to realise it was the stupid 'spectator mode' thingy...

I have a nifty blue line!

72. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 22:33 Paranoid Jack

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 21:55:
That may just be the Beta Bats... the store page lists a price of $29.99

I noticed I had been given a copy a few weeks back. I downloaded it to find it was a "spectator copy". Its just some marketing ploy...

71. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 21:55 Prez

That may just be the Beta Bats... the store page lists a price of $29.99  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

70. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 21:44 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 19:23:
Speaking of Steam, they just gave me two copies of DOTA 2 to give away if anyone is interested.

heheheh I just noticed I have 2 things that say
Unknown package (15479)

I assume that is DOTA2? I have it for some reason, but so does everyone in my friends list....it is free right?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

69. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 21:12 Prez

68. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 20:57 jdreyer

sauron wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:26:
Nevermind the politics, the weather up here in NYC is ab-so-lutely awful. The snow is hammering down and we have winds of 30mph, and it's gonna go on like this all night.

I hope the city is on the ball, 'cause if not there are gonna be major problems in areas hit by Sandy last week. This is a real big, bad Nor'easter, and people in those areas better get inside somewhere warm and dry pronto.

Well, Mt. Doom should be keeping you nice and toasty.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

67. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 20:56 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:10:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 14:26:
Bodolza wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 12:22:
Maybe they don't see at as a big deal because they just re-elected a president who has promised to reduce it, and laid out a plan on how to do so.
lmao. This is from the same president who said he would cut the deficit from Bush by half in his first term, in his first year by half. Okay there, let me give you a tip. The difference was...Obama's deficit was an increase of 500-600% every year.

Yes, because the GOP wouldn't permit anything to get done. How the fuck do you fix anything when those assholes won't budge a single inch on anything? Obstructionist politics is their domain and the debt and deficit are entirely their fault. ENTIRLEY. 'Boner' has already come out and said they have no intention of working the democrats so there you go. GOPs fault as per usual. Had the Democrats taken control of both houses they'd have everything fixed inside of 4 years. The economy always and only works under the democrats and because of their policies.

Oh, and for the record austerity budgets don't work to fix recessions. Never have, never will. It takes money to make money.

This, and to pre-empt anyone who will say "But the Dems held the house and senate and presidency 2009 & 10! Why didn't they fix things then?" I'll say this: First, that was the depth of the recession. The economy was still tanking. Second, even though the Repubs were a minority in the senate, they completely abused the filibuster to prevent congress from accomplishing much. And this graph doesn't even count the times legislation was revoked at the mere threat of the filibuster.

66. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 20:50 Prez

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 20:42:
Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 20:23:
Speaking of Steam, they just gave me two copies of DOTA 2 to give away if anyone is interested.

I already had it gifted to me but if no one else asks for it I'd like to have another copy to give to my son to play coop over LAN. If not no biggie - the offer was way cool anyway.

Coming right up, sir.

Edit: WTH they just sent me another copy, lol.

Edit part deux: Enh, can't send it. Shows you were already gifted and it won't let me send it. That's weird. Sorry, bud.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks for trying though. Steam needs to allow gifts to be transferable; there's no reason for them to not to be. Anyway, how is it that you are getting so many free copies?

65. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 20:47 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 13:48:
PHJF wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 10:20:
I don't think the Feds are going to do anything about it. Nobody wants to start another States Rights battle, especially one so large as this would generate. The usual federal-level war on drugs will continue but we aren't going to see anything like a Volstead Act enforcement policy arise in either state.

They already have... There's been loads of federales coming into California over the past few years to shut down marijuana dispensaries, which are perfectly legal by the state's laws, under orders from ol' Barry. And that's just for MEDICAL usage (technically, we all know people get it for "chronic back pain," etc.), who knows what's going to happen in states where it's been approved for recreational use and any adult over 21 can buy it at the corner liquor store? It's good that CO and WA have done this though, so that we can find out. Hopefully in a few more years, after we shed a bunch more old codgers who are still brainwashed by Reefer Madness, we can at least decriminalize it on the federal level. It's mind-boggling how far they've gone with the propaganda over the past century to make people think smoking weed is like sucking the devil's D, to the point where the majority of politicians and/or their constituents are blind to the fact that it would be a massive boon to economies everywhere, on every level.

And this is coming from a guy who never has and probably never will smoke weed... It's just common sense.

It's ridiculous. Pot is a SCHEDULE 1 drug. That's the strictest classification. It is considered in the same league as heroin and peyote. Hell, not even codeine or cocaine are sched 1. They're sched 2, a lower classification.

You're right that it all stems from films like Reefer Madness. "OMG teh black is smokin' MJ and commin' to steal our white womenz! We better ban that shit!" It's complete lunacy. And we put people in prison for 20 years for selling this naturally growing mild depressant.

64. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 20:42 Cutter

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 20:23:

I already had it gifted to me but if no one else asks for it I'd like to have another copy to give to my son to play coop over LAN. If not no biggie - the offer was way cool anyway.

Coming right up, sir.

Edit: WTH they just sent me another copy, lol.

Edit part deux: Enh, can't send it. Shows you were already gifted and it won't let me send it. That's weird. Sorry, bud.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

63. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 20:23 Prez

62. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 20:19 Cutter

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 20:03:
Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically, but if I can no longer afford my car payment I have little choice but to get rid of my car due to a lack of money.

And if no one else has any money who's going to buy it? Counter-intuitive as it seems you have to spend your way out of debt as a government. When the economy is strong, that's when you pay it down.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

61. Re: Mass Effect 3 N7 Day Nov 7, 2012, 20:17 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 20:11:
Log into Mass Effect 3 multiplayer for the next 1 day 5 or so hours and get a free kit to celebrate Nov. 7th.

Speaking of Mass Effect. Some kind person has uploaded the Space 1999 series to Youtube. Mass Effect got most of their art direction from that with all the modular designed stuff. What a great show! Loved it as a kid.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 20:14 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 19:35:
Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 15:10:
Oh, and for the record austerity budgets don't work to fix recessions. Never have, never will. It takes money to make money.
Really? Odd how that works, it seems to have done a very good job up here in Canada over and over again. Then again, turning on the printing presses repeatedly is always a great way to devalue your currency and fiscally screw yourselves over the long term.

You don't make money, by bankrupting yourself either.

No it hasn't. Trickle-up economics is what works. If people don't have a disposable income they don't buy anything and it all grinds to a halt. We've cut spending but it's hardly an austerity budget as we're still spending. That and solid regulation is what helped us stave off the disaster the US has seen. Oh yeah, and that regulation that saved our asses was what the PC were trying to gut so we could have more of American style banking system. Thankfully with their then minority they couldn't get it done or we really would be up shit creek right now. How the hell do you think FDR got the US out of the depression? The New Deal didn't just happen magically.

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo