Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"

The PA Report has confirmation from Microsoft Game Studios that Halo 4 is not coming to the PC, which isn't too surprising considering Halo 3 was never ported to the PC either. What's a little odd is the explanation, as a spokesperson tells them: "Halo 4 was designed specifically for Xbox 360, and while we’re always exploring new ways to expand the franchise and share the Halo experience with as many fans as possible, we do not currently have any plans to port Halo 4 to PC."

View
121 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

41. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 04:10 Mordecai Walfish

Microsoft is really mismanaged, on so many fronts.. and I'll be glad to be free of their O/S *very* soon the way things are panning out. They are absolutely whats wrong with gaming, through and through.

It's not *just* that they have a habit of making console exclusives.. it's much more sinister than that. They take games that they know would be blockbusters on PC and then either bribe the company to be xbox only/timed or buy them outright. This shows so much contempt for Windows gamers, who have played top-notch games on microsoft's o/s for decades, games that stretch and push the technology further and further. Now those titles are raked in, told to conform to a set-top box spec limiting the creativity of the AAA developers involved-- and all the while you tell PC gamers that they won't be released on PC because they are "Designed Specifically for XBOX". Yeah, right. So as a result we have a platform now that is perpetually held back by the maker of the O/S instead of one that promotes pushing the limitations of every piece of hardware involved. Why buy a $2000 PC anymore when the O/S in place and it's manufacturer are purposefully trying to hinder the performance, power, and variety of experiences available on that platform?

I look forward to running a Linux box one day with an emulator for "classic windows" gaming, and when I call it "classic" I'm referring to *all* windows gaming, because the way things are going, Microsoft will soon not be the platform of choice *at all* for PC gaming.

"Designed Specifically for Xbox 360" can be translated to "Microsoft's Continued Effort to Fuck PC Gamers". And it's working. And Apple will send you the way of the Dodo if you keep trying to be like them. Demoralizing your entire Operating System because of their shiny iCrap. Bravo, Microsoft.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 03:20 InBlack

Rhett wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 21:29:
fuzzy maxitazz wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 21:19:
And few will comment on this. Because no one on the pc cares about Halo. It seems to me that halo is of little interest to the pc crowd. With good reason i think

Halo 1 was pretty fun on PC...

Yeah this, I actually enjoyed it on the PC warts and all.

I have a nifty blue line!

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 03:04 Jerykk

You're kidding, right? You call some arrow-'shaped' glowy lights on the floor as big glowing arrows telling you where to go? I can think of a quite a few FPS's that have the same thing, whether they're for navigation or just plain aesthetics. I already conceded that the last 1/3 was repetitive. That's fact. We're all aware of that. But so what? No other FPS had corridors and areas that looked exactly or similar to each other? C'mon, bitch about something VALID, please!

Lousy level design is a perfectly valid complaint. Are there other shooters that have lousy level design as well? Sure. That doesn't make it any less of a flaw (a glaring flaw in Halo's case). I think Halo is the only game I've ever played that literally copied and pasted the exact same area over and over in the same level. Mass Effect re-used the same areas a lot but they were at least on separate planets.

On a side note, you said you could think of quite a few FPSes that have arrows on the ground telling you where to go. Can you list some? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. I think UT3 had an optional arrow guide you could use to find the nearest objective but that was optional and only available in the large, outdoor levels.

As for why Halo's campaign sucked, I guess the problem is that it was utterly mediocre and forgettable. I only remember two things about Halo's campaign: the cut and paste level design and the Flood parts at the end. That's it. Aside from the cut and paste level design, there was nothing egregiously terrible about the game. There wasn't anything particularly good about it either. The AI was average. The combat was average. The level design was mostly average. The story was average. Halo was the very definition of mediocrity. You keep praising Halo but have yet to offer any specific reasons why it deserves that praise.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, Halo had pretty good ragdoll physics. I liked how much force was applied to enemies when they were hit by grenades. That was nice.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2012, 03:14.

38. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 02:31 Joss

raVen wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 01:48:
Just like how Halo 1 was designed for the Mac, and was still coming for the PC... and then Bungie got bought by Microsoft.
Ah yes... the double-fuck from Microsoft. I was on the Mac at the time and was excited for once, but then they pulled that shit. Think that's when the hatred started.

Thank god for Quake 3 Arena.

37. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 02:29 Domgrief

raVen wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 01:48:
Just like how Halo 1 was designed for the Mac, and was still coming for the PC... and then Bungie got bought by Microsoft.

Ha, I still remember the ads for Halo on the GF2 GTS, and thanks to the magic of the internet, it's on the YouTubes now.

36. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 02:14 Jivaro

Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 22:37:
Jivaro wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 22:07:
The article goes on and on...and I am sitting here thinking to myself: "Damn, that sounds just like Mass Effect! They are just straight up copying it!"

And then you know what I said to my wife?

"I wonder if it will have a better ending?"

Have you never read Ringworld?

No, I hadn't...but thanks for pointing me towards it!

35. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 01:49 ViRGE

Bhruic wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 21:46:

Your first statement is true, your second is not. They don't want people to be able to buy it on the PC. They want it to be an XBox exclusive, but such exclusives sell consoles. And they want more people to buy consoles.
Bingo. It should come as no surprise that Microsoft wants to maintain their console-exclusive titles. Of course I'd like more Microsoft developed PC games, but I do understand the reason why that's not happening.

34. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 01:48 raVen

Now I'm remembering the launch of the Geforce series was right around that same time, It's been a long time.
It really makes one wonder why Microsoft doesn't take care of all of their platforms. [redacted] ... anyways, I bet if MS did show a unified front of support across everything maybe people would give them the time of day for win8 without waiting for a few SP's.
It's been probably a year or two since I've bought a console game, and I don't see that changing.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2012, 01:55.

33. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 01:13 The Half Elf

Halo 1 wasn't bad, but the cut and pasted hallway segments towards the end of the game were god-awful. I distinctly remember backtracking many times because I wasn't watching the arrows on the floor (and I hate mindless backtracking in games, next to rail shooter parts and quick time events).
And while even I still have a bad taste from Microsoft buying Bungie and making Halo a Xbox exclusive, the Halo series has been very solid.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

32. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 01:05 cronik

Half-Life > Halo  

31. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 00:49 necrosis

Halo has left a bad taste in my mouth since the first, and made worse with the second. Why? The insane hype for such a subpar game.

The first time I played Halo it felt like the DOOM clones from 5 years prior. Stupidly bland maps that were copy and pasted. Halo 2 was more of the same. Yet people flipped their everloving shits over the game like it was the best thing since sex. It just infuriated me that people held this piece of crap game so high when PC FPS's were lightyears ahead.

30. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 00:37 Sempai

Halo 4 requires directx 12.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 00:36 Rigs

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 23:54:
Halo hasn't been good since the first and the first one also had issues towards the end of the game with repetition and the lame concept of the flood. Halo 2 PC was just garbage, the whole single player campaign was a giant pile of shit. Halo is probably the most over-rated property in gaming.

I'm not one to usually take issue with people's personal opinions of a game, but statements like this are just bullshit. That's no better than some troll on Youtube saying, 'Oh this shit sucks!'. Why? Why was the campaign shit? WHY is it overrated? Because it just IS isn't a valid argument.

Go replay Halo 1. There's a large segment of the game where the designers literally copied and pasted the same interior section over and over, with glowing blue arrows on the ground showing you where to go. It was pretty terrible.

You're kidding, right? You call some arrow-'shaped' glowy lights on the floor as big glowing arrows telling you where to go? I can think of a quite a few FPS's that have the same thing, whether they're for navigation or just plain aesthetics. I already conceded that the last 1/3 was repetitive. That's fact. We're all aware of that. But so what? No other FPS had corridors and areas that looked exactly or similar to each other? C'mon, bitch about something VALID, please!

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

28. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 6, 2012, 23:54 Suppa7

Halo hasn't been good since the first and the first one also had issues towards the end of the game with repetition and the lame concept of the flood. Halo 2 PC was just garbage, the whole single player campaign was a giant pile of shit. Halo is probably the most over-rated property in gaming.

Even the bad call of duty's after COD4 are better then every halo sequel.

The only reason it's as big as it is, is because it's audience never grew up playing PC first person shooters. It's a damn shame Halo was a PC/Mac game and it got bought out by MS and made into an xbox game. No big loss really since first person shooters have been so dumbed down.

I really want a sequel to Unreal 2004. Probably the pinnacle of FPS games outside of maybe battlefield and a few others I can't name at the moment.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2012, 00:17.

27. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 6, 2012, 23:53 SirKnight

All the more reason to say FU to Win 8. If MS wont give more than two shits about PC, why should I care about their next/future OSes? It's not that I care much about Halo 4, it's just the idea and their attitude about this.

I very much look forward to STEAM on Linux and soon my Win PC will only be for some games (that I can't get working on OSX or Linux) and work related stuff. It's Linux and OSX for me these days.

26. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 6, 2012, 23:49 The Half Elf

WAIT WAIT! Remember Halo 2 was a Vista exclusive!

Honestly would I play the Halo series on the PC beyond Halo 1? Yeah. Solid FPS franchise, solid multiplayer, but due to a f'd up thumb could barely play Halo Reach (was free with 360 Beta).

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 6, 2012, 23:44 theyarecomingforyou

While it would be nice to have it on PC - so that it can be played as it should be, on mouse and keyboard - this announcement is really no surprise. Microsoft has demonstrated nothing but contempt for PC gamers in recent years. Suggesting that any first person shooter is better on console than PC is laughable... unless the design criteria include bad graphics, bad controls and long load times.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 23:37 SirKnight

Jerykk wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 23:21:
Go replay Halo 1. There's a large segment of the game where the designers literally copied and pasted the same interior section over and over, with glowing blue arrows on the ground showing you where to go. It was pretty terrible.

Oh man I remember that. It was so irritating. Actually it was more sad than anything.

23. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 6, 2012, 23:34 PHJF

Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 22:37:
Jivaro wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 22:07:
The article goes on and on...and I am sitting here thinking to myself: "Damn, that sounds just like Mass Effect! They are just straight up copying it!"

And then you know what I said to my wife?

"I wonder if it will have a better ending?"

Have you never read Ringworld?

Or Rendezvous with Rama?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 23:21 Jerykk

121 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo