Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"

The PA Report has confirmation from Microsoft Game Studios that Halo 4 is not coming to the PC, which isn't too surprising considering Halo 3 was never ported to the PC either. What's a little odd is the explanation, as a spokesperson tells them: "Halo 4 was designed specifically for Xbox 360, and while we’re always exploring new ways to expand the franchise and share the Halo experience with as many fans as possible, we do not currently have any plans to port Halo 4 to PC."

View
121 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

61. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 7, 2012, 09:42 Smellfinger

The original Halo was an excellent FPS, console or otherwise. I viewed it as an extension of Doom, at least in terms of combat, since it was the only FPS at the time that threw more than a couple enemies at you. Serious Sam was at the Robotron/Smash TV end of the Doom spectrum and Halo was the more tactical variant. Well, at least until the Flood levels. Then it was Smash TV.

The checkpoint-based gameplay reminded me of classic games like R-Type and Ghouls 'n Ghosts, where you had to play the same stretch of screen for hours before you totally mastered it and moved on to the next area. Halo on Legendary was brutal - much harder than any of the sequels.

There are plenty of PC FPSs from that era that deserve far more scorn than Halo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 7, 2012, 09:29 HorrorScope

Heard all this crap before.  

59. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 09:27 Prez

InBlack wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 09:10:
Oh and I just wanted to say one thing. A lot of naysayers going on about how Halo was a 'crappy' console port that ran like ass and looked like shit on the PC.

I dont really care about graphics fidelity in a game like this because:

Gameplay is king, It ran fine for me, it had great and very innovative gameplay for a FPS, a lot of fun and memorable sequences, interesting & strange enemies, great maps (until you get to the copy paste part), vehicle combat, the super cool Master Chief and something that MOST FPS seem to never get right. Pacing and Story.

I never played the other sequels because of typical Microsoft bullshit and whatnot, but Halo 1 was a fine PC game and hardly a bad console port.

Though it puts us in a distinct minority, I am in full agreement. The graphics were fine - nowhere near bad enough to be distracting, but in my opinion the overall experience as you said was a lot better than most people give it credit for. The pacing was nigh perfect.

EDIT: I also wanted to point out that there is NOTHING wrong with regenerating shields. It makes perfect sci-fi sense and to complain about it somehow being "dumbed down for consoles" is just silly. (Blame the Starship Enterprise if you looking for what *really* started it all. ) Halo's health and shield system was elegant and served the gameplay perfectly.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2012, 09:38.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

58. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 09:25 PHJF

Gameplay is king, It ran fine for me, it had great and very innovative gameplay for a FPS

Yeah, people! Thanks to Halo we have regenerating health now! Give some props! (yes, I know Halo had regenerating shields and still had medpacks. Halo is still the progenitor)

The only thing Halo did was introduce online FPS to the consoles. It didn't have to do anything else to be as successful as it was.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

57. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 09:19 Parallax Abstraction

Halo is one of the most overrated series of all time. Terrible, impenetrable story, ugly aesthetic, bad sound design and the movement is so slow it feels like the whole game is on downers. I won't miss it on PC.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

56. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 09:10 InBlack

Oh and I just wanted to say one thing. A lot of naysayers going on about how Halo was a 'crappy' console port that ran like ass and looked like shit on the PC.

I dont really care about graphics fidelity in a game like this because:

Gameplay is king, It ran fine for me, it had great and very innovative gameplay for a FPS, a lot of fun and memorable sequences, interesting & strange enemies, great maps (until you get to the copy paste part), vehicle combat, the super cool Master Chief and something that MOST FPS seem to never get right. Pacing and Story.

I never played the other sequels because of typical Microsoft bullshit and whatnot, but Halo 1 was a fine PC game and hardly a bad console port.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2012, 09:18.

I have a nifty blue line!

55. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 09:06 ItBurn

I have ZERO interest in the Halo games. It's exactly because they're designed for the xbox. It feels like playing Quake 2. While nostalgia is good, there's better games for that.  

54. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 09:06 Yakubs

Halo was a pretty bad game. The only reason it was popular was because it was the only real option available on the Xbox for FPS games which, was we know, appeal to every demographic that the publishers care about. Plus it was incredibly simplified so everyone could understand it.  

53. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 09:04 Verno

I don't care in the slightest, I just find it amusing how schizophrenic the Microsoft Entertainment division is. You'd think they would want a killer app for Windows 8 other than Solitaire with ads but I guess not.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

52. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 08:46 Prez

Halo on PC was a guilty pleasure for me - I really liked it. Had Bungie been left alone this could have been a seminal PC fps. All of its faults can really be blamed on its switch to a console focus - the first Xbox was horribly limited compared to a gaming PC at the time. I was able to enjoy it for what it was though.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

51. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 08:19 HoSpanky

I found that when I played halo 1 on the pc, the super slow-motion action was just too easy. Headshot-o-Rama with the pistol, it was literally the only weapon you needed.

Due soley to the speed the game runs at, it feels designed for a Somewhat crippled control interface. Halo games on the 360 feel like they move JUST fast enough.

Also, as the consoles reach the end of their cycle, developers push harder and harder to squeeze every bit of power out, including lots of tricks that are system-specific and may require more work than you'd think to port it. I'm not saying that's the main reason H4 isn't being ported, but I guarantee it'd be a bigger undertaking than porting halo3. Forza Horizon has all KINDS of crazy shit going on behind the scenes to make it run at a rock-solid (and oddly buttery-smooth) 30 fps. It even uses spare CPU cycles to slip some FSAA in there, making it look as next-gen as I've seen on a console. It would not be a small task to change that, especially since the game's logic is tied inextricably to the framerate. Pc gamers would insist on higher framerates or would call it a sloppy port, but it'd require the game's entire functional logic to be re-written. It couldn't possibly be the same game, in the end. If the same tricks are being used in halo4, they'd have to rebuild most of the game's programming. Again, I doubt that's the real reason, but it would definitely add to potential development time.

50. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 08:13 Shok

I could care less about Halo and that's one less GFWL game! It's a win win situation folks!  

49. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 06:08 Icewind

Well, that Steam Linux beta is starting. I hear the rumbling of thunder in the distance, and it's bringing change.

Hasta la Vista, MS.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 06:03 pagb

Jerykk wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 23:21:
Go replay Halo 1. There's a large segment of the game where the designers literally copied and pasted the same interior section over and over, with glowing blue arrows on the ground showing you where to go. It was pretty terrible.
This is where I gave up.

47. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 05:43 Theo

Going to get flamed for saying this i am sure. This is a shame, seen as halo4 is the most fun i;ve had with a console shooter in a long time. the Singleplayer is great fun, ~(if you like non-clever, run and gun type games with large free form maps).

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

46. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 05:08 Fantaz

Please excuse me as I drown my copy of Halo 4 in Doritos and Mountain Dew... (it likes that)

https://instagr.am/p/RfZd3qjdWN/media/?size=l

45. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 05:01 Arithon

The confusion here is why they made the statement at all.

HALO was, and is, a joke as a PC game. It practically invented the phrase "crappy console port".

It was graphically inferior to UNREAL, released five years earlier and could hardly compete with better titles that year, such as the original Call of Duty (which was at that time a PC only game) and more sophisticated titles like Max Payne 2.

In other news:- Nintendo announce they are not releasing Pokemon {pick a colour} on the iPod....

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

44. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 04:20 Jerykk

To be fair, MS isn't trying to screw PC gamers specifically. They're trying to screw anyone who doesn't own or make games for Xbox. Or pay for Xbox LIVE Gold. Seriously, part of their licensing requirement is that if a game comes out on PS3 first, it can never be ported to Xbox. It has to come out on Xbox first or at the same time. They don't require that of ports from PC, surprisingly enough.

MS's business philosophy has always centered around hurting the competition rather than providing a better product or service.

43. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 04:20 Jackplug

Ohwell, sorry what did we miss out on again?!?! microsoft doesnt care about pc gamers, but they do want you to buy their new O/S with no new games to play on it... DOH!!!  

42. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 04:16 Wesp5

InBlack wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 03:20:
Rhett wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 21:29:
Halo 1 was pretty fun on PC...

Yeah this, I actually enjoyed it on the PC warts and all.

Me too! It had something in regards of the continuity of the world and it's weapons. Everything looked like it belonged there and the vehicle combat was fine for the time. But the library levels were bad and Halo 2 dragged on forever. Still I think it would be cool if MS would offer the old Halo games for Windows 8 so someone could convert them to Windows 7 :)!

121 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo