Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam for Linux Beta Client

Steam New announces the commencement of a limited beta test for the Steam for Linux client. Here's a bit on what this involves:

The Steam for Linux Beta client supports the free-to-play game Team Fortress 2. Approximately two dozen additional Steam titles are now also available for play on Linux systems. Additionally, the Steam for Linux Beta client includes Big Picture, the mode of Steam designed for use with a TV and controller, also currently in beta.

“This is a huge milestone in the development of PC gaming,” according to Gabe Newell, Valve President and co-founder. “Steam users have been asking us to support gaming on Linux. We’re happy to bring rich forms of entertainment and our community of users to this open, customer-friendly platform.”

The Steam for Linux Beta client is currently available for installation on Ubuntu 12.04. “An overwhelming majority of beta applicants have reported they’re running the Ubuntu distro of Linux,” according to Frank Crockett, a member of the Steam for Linux team, “We intend to support additional popular distros in the future; we’ll prioritize development for these based on user feedback.”

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 7, 2012, 21:44 Dades

As long as they contribute GPL'd code back then they are free to do whatever they want, stop being a nutbar.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 7, 2012, 14:33 2nd_floor

I think given that Valve and Gabe Newell have made complaints about Windows 8 being a closed eco-system, and that they want and favour an open eco-system for computers, gaming and business, AND that Valve has never done anything to support an open eco-system and any sort of open system, but rather control and manage people with their DRM closed systems, they owe it to people and Linux (the OS that their servers seem to run on!!) to be quite open. Releasing some or all source code to SOME of their products for example: engine, games, Steam, anything!!

They don't care about Linux for Linux's sake, they want power/control/money.

They are planning to use Linux to profit from with this Steam client/games, have been for many years with the Steam servers running Linux 24/7, without EVER having done anything to really help or promote Linux, and now they even complain when other people threaten to use DRM/control on them!!

Get real!! Damn free riders!

I think Steam is incredibly powerful, market share wise. Valve could have done huge things for Linux, years ago if they really wanted to! When Ubuntu was first released around 2005, Valve could have done Linux then and made a huge impact for it, but I guess Ubuntu was not good enough or exciting enough, they didn't care. They don't care for Linux. Look at what people and companies throughout the years have done quietly without complaining for Linux: *id*, S3, Loki, LGP, numerous other small, independent people. Valve is massive and could have done huge things for Linux, I mean truly for Linux!

Look at the awesome things that happen when you release source code. People do crazy things with it. Improve it, add awesome features, you name it! Steam can be a nightmare because you have to use it the way Valve wants you to! They can release the source code to Steam and maintain the DRM that it enforces. But they don't want to.

They want an open system to benefit them in their way, but not to be open them selves!! M-i-c-r-o-s-o-f-t!!! C-o-n-t-r-o-l!!! L-i-e-s!!!

19. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 7, 2012, 07:22 TheVocalMinority

eunichron wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:25:
I would say those people, the Stallman types, are a fairly small, but increasingly vocal, minority in the Linux community. Seeing as how Ubuntu looks like the primary distro for support, and Ubuntu isn't endorsed by the FSF, I'm assuming Valve doesn't give two shits about what they have to say.

Well then what you are saying would be wrong. Stallman wrote the GNU shell and associated tools which are essential to every Linux operating system. "those people" and the free software philosophy are central the Linux community. Linux would not exist without it.

Nice try though.

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

18. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 7, 2012, 06:55 SectorEffector

bhcompy wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 19:37:
Unfortunately Ubuntu has been going downhill, but I guess it's a start

Linux Mint, I'm sure you can find a way to get the client to work on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

17. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 7, 2012, 06:39 Sempai

Thank you God! Please keep at it Valve, i'd really like to leave Windows behind and use a real OS for my everyday use someday.

An OS that isn't a bloated memory eating whore.

I realize it's just Steam right now, but one can hope.

16. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 7, 2012, 00:04 sgtrock

Axis wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 19:44:

Ubuntu hasn't been going downhill, it's just established. Nothing is as exciting compared to fresh new distros lighting a spark of enthusiasm -- and Ubuntu has already been there.

I think it's safe to say that Ubuntu has been going in the wrong direction for quite a while. I gave up on it when it was announced that Unity was becoming the default UI. That was about the same time that Kubuntu and other variants were essentially deprecated as well. Between the two moves, I figured I was better off looking somewhere else.

I looked around for a bit and decided that I might as well move upstream to Debian. I've been happily running Debian stable with a few backported apps for nearly two years.

My name is also in the pot for the beta. Since I'm not running Ubuntu, though, I'm assuming that I won't see an invitation to an expanded beta for quite a while. If ever. That's fine, I'm reasonably patient. I fully expect to be playing around with Steam on Linux some time next year.

As to the comments about the slim game selection? Give it time, fellas. It'll take a while for a catalog to get built up. BTW, the list is already up to 50 games, not just 24. That list is growing at a respectable clip, too. It was at 36 games when I last checked it a couple of weeks ago.

15. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 21:39 LC

Can only speak for myself but adding ads to local search is going downhill IMHO. Pretty poorly implemented too, poor security/privacy and no parental controls. Easily switched off or removed in the current release but it makes me wonder what Canonical has planned for the future. Adbuntu? Or maybe tap into full potential of Zeitgeist?
EFF on Ubuntu 12.10

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2012, 21:57.

14. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 19:44 Axis

Ubuntu hasn't been going downhill, it's just established. Nothing is as exciting compared to fresh new distros lighting a spark of enthusiasm -- and Ubuntu has already been there.

Yours truly,

Axis

13. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 19:42 Bhruic

This is nice and all, but the important point isn't having Steam, it's having Steam have available Linux games. TF2 isn't exactly going to cut it by itself.

With that said, this is still a good first step, and kudos to Valve for doing it.

12. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 19:37 bhcompy

11. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 17:52 Axis

Sure you can just load up an OS and do whatever, but Linux is the enjoyment "build a Frankenstein" part of computing.

You run windows, you command linux.

And I've said it before, this move on valve's part has long been needed with linux - it will surely kickstart what we've all been hoping for for a long long time.

Yours truly,

Axis

10. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 17:05 Beelzebud

DangerDog wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 14:44:
despite some people feeling put off by Steam being released for their "everything should be free and open" operating system.

I would say those people, the Stallman types, are a fairly small, but increasingly vocal, minority in the Linux community. Seeing as how Ubuntu looks like the primary distro for support, and Ubuntu isn't endorsed by the FSF, I'm assuming Valve doesn't give two shits about what they have to say.

But as you said, unless there's some overwhelming advantage to switching to Linux over Windows 7 for gaming (exclusives, performance, what have you), I don't see this as any more than a novelty.

To you that may be true. It isn't being done for you though, it's being done for people that actually use Linux. You're free to stay on whatever OS you like. I'm always puzzled by people who seem to shoot down choice, as if it's a weird thing.

9. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 17:03 Bard

despite some people feeling put off by Steam being released for their "everything should be free and open" operating system.

But as you said, unless there's some overwhelming advantage to switching to Linux over Windows 7 for gaming (exclusives, performance, what have you), I don't see this as any more than a novelty.

How about an operating system that isn't essentially surveillanceware for government?

8. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 16:05 LC

I have zero interest in Steam personally but I'm very curious to see how it works out. Mainly if they can make a profit on a niche operating system.

merc248 wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:18:
Seems there's another release of nVidia drivers for Linux today, boasting 'double performance' - this was made in conjunction with Valve apparently.

Anyone tried these yet on Linux? Are overscan and flat panel scaling still MIA from the settings?

7. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:58 Burrito of Peace

Outside of gaming, there isn't much that Windows offers me. For every day use, Mint with Libre Office, Amarok, VLC, Pidgin, and other apps works perfectly.  

6. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:52 Dunkirk

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:43:
It's just a progressive rollout... Not like it'll be closed beta with this same group of people forever, just wait a few weeks and everybody who wants in will have it.

That's what I'm telling myself. The problem is that it was supposed to open the first week of October, and that slipped a month. I know it's Valve time, and all. So it can be a crap-shoot.

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

5. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:43 jacobvandy

It's just a progressive rollout... Not like it'll be closed beta with this same group of people forever, just wait a few weeks and everybody who wants in will have it.

It's like that with pretty much all the major Steam client betas. I don't even know why they gave out extra invitations to people for the pre-release community thing, I never had a chance to hand them out before it was opened up to everyone.

4. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:31 Dunkirk

Bah humbug. I've run Linux for 18 years, 14 for full time now. I'm running Ubuntu these days. I have dual nVidia 9800's. I average 10 hours a week gaming on my Windows partition. I have many hundreds of dollars of games bought in my library. I applied, but apparently didn't get it. I was hoping that I'd be a perfect fit. I haven't wanted to be in a lot of betas over the years, but this one I sure did. I'm really disappointed.  
Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

3. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:25 eunichron

2. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 15:18 merc248

Seems there's another release of nVidia drivers for Linux today, boasting 'double performance' - this was made in conjunction with Valve apparently.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo