Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter

This new Kickstarter from David Braben and Frontier Developments seeks capital for Elite: Dangerous, a new installment in the Elite series of space simulations. The series has had its ups and downs since the release of the influential original Elite in 1984, including some lesser sequels and a proposed Elite 4, a project that's been in and out of limbo long enough to make Duke Nukem blush forever. The Kickstarter pitch acknowledges a certain lack of focus for Elite 4, and says the time is now right to redress this, saying: "I’ll be frank - we have had a couple of false starts on this over the years, where progress wasn’t as good as I wanted. Also, understandably, other projects have been prioritised – projects with announced dates or other commitments. Up to now 'Elite' has been worked upon by a small team as a ‘skunk-works’ activity in the background as availability permits. Nevertheless, we have been preparing; laying the technology and design foundations for when the time is right. And that time is now." There's an article about this on BBC News that includes a video with glimpses of prototype gameplay, and the Kickstarter page includes details about trading, combat, travel, and more, all under the following overview:

In the game, you will of course begin with a spacecraft and a small sum of Credits. You will be able to trade, pirate, bounty-hunt, explore, and salvage your way to wealth and fame, building on those key elements of the previous games, and with sumptuous graphics only now possible with the performance of today’s machines. Only this time some of the ships out there will be other players like yourself – other members of a secret ‘Elite’ group of space-farers…

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 7, 2012, 07:49 Armengar

no buy for me (an I lived on spy hunter and elite originals, I even bought frontier *and* first encounters (silly me).

1) £20 limited offer? For a kickstarter? no ta. £10 and i'l bite. I doubt it will sell full price for much more than £20 as it's too niche. Certainly £30 is taking the piss.

2) multiplayer elite will consist of 2 people sat outside lave with a military laser giving launching craft death. No ta.

3) oolite is free and fills the niche.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 7, 2012, 04:45 jdreyer

nin wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 17:56:
Tell that to the Shaker folks - they made 10% on day 1 and didn't end up with shit.

Well, when you name your old school RPG "Shaker" you should expect failure.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

41. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 7, 2012, 04:43 jdreyer

Sleep wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 17:33:
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 13:18:
Sleep wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 12:24:
Plenty of penny pinching negativity here. But dont worry Americanos, we got this. You can come and join the party later.

Thanks man! Please don't come cry here when he inevitably fails to produce Elite 4 yet again, k?

Creston

Lol 20% funded day 1 chum, as long as you dont come crying when you pay doube for the client on launch thats a deal. British company, british pounds, i get the scepticism theres alot of it around KS. For me though, its only 40 quid and well worth a punt. For you, meh.

Give me a break. This thing will be $20 on Steam 3 months after release. I'll pick it up then, thanks.

40. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 7, 2012, 04:38 jdreyer

Plenty of penny pinching negativity here. But dont worry Americanos, we got this. You can come and join the party later.

Given that most devs make about $7 per copy after publishers take their cut for packaging, publishing, advertising, etc. on a $50 game, most kickstarters have been asking $10, $15, $20 or so in exchange for the full game. They're still making much more than they would otherwise, and in advance to boot. Asking $32 USD as minimum for a copy of an unmade (and apparently even unstarted game) is just ridiculous.

39. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 22:57 Wowbagger_TIP

I've gone for a few kickstarters (Shadowrun, Wasteland, Grim Dawn), but those had a lot going for them, and a lot to show. Unless they give us something to indicate where this thing is going, I can't see funding it. I'll keep an eye on it and see if they come up with more before the KS ends.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

38. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 18:50 Tumbler

I'd love to see this game get made and if there are enough fans that want to pay that much then that is fantastic. I'd like to be one of the supporters but $15 USD is what I'm willing to do if I get a game at some point.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

37. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 17:56 nin

Thanks man! Please don't come cry here when he inevitably fails to produce Elite 4 yet again, k?

Creston

Lol 20% funded day 1 chum, as long as you dont come crying when you pay doube for the client on launch thats a deal. British company, british pounds, i get the scepticism theres alot of it around KS. For me though, its only 40 quid and well worth a punt. For you, meh.

Tell that to the Shaker folks - they made 10% on day 1 and didn't end up with shit.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

36. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 17:48 Creston

Creston

I'd gladly pay 100 bucks for an actual Elite 4, but like I said before, he's been "making" Elite 4 for nigh on twenty years now. Every time it's "no, we're making good progress, we've got lots of stuff up and running, it's almost ready to reveal!"

And now he's going "Yeah, admittedly all those times we worked on Elite 4 before were just bullshit, we never actually did anything."

And so NOW all of a sudden, when there's a chance to get some money out of it, he's going to have it done in two years? He says they have all this technological stuff ready to go, well, where is it? Sui Generis does procedural generation, and they showed off their procedural generation engine in their kickstarter.

All Braben shows off is a timeline of previous Elite games. Oh, and a "What if the project fails?" thing that's practically longer than the information about the game itself.

This smells like a "We're gonna grab the cash, never make the game and then say we were unable to complete it!" scam to me. It's not like Braben has much of a name to tarnish anymore anyway. When your proudest game creation moment since Elite has been Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, which came out EIGHT years ago, I'm not sure that you have a studio that should be patting itself on the back for all the great work it's done.

But hey, it's your money.

Creston

35. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 17:33 Sleep

Creston

34. Re: Take On Helicopters Free DLC Nov 6, 2012, 17:32 vermin

more info definitely coming. eurogamer link  

33. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 17:18 Julio

Not sure on this one, though it does seem better than the Chris Roberts microtransaction model. I'd at least like some art/screenshots, some details....something...  

32. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 15:23 WyldKat

I really would like to see this succeed, but a new Elite has been vaporware for nearly two decades now. His Kickstarter page is even worrisome. Chris Roberts has been catching a lot of flak despite showing people a functional tech demo along with loads of concept art. Elite: Dangerous doesn't even have concept art. I wish them all the best but this is not the way to do a Kickstarter that inspires confidence.  

31. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 15:21 loomy

elite is awesome. I still won't pay money for nothing. most kickstarter projects are scams for the gullible. a payment for nothing as a donation to the well-off that gets you no tax credit.

let me play an unfinished game. show me work. show me progress. then I can decide to invest or not. I for one don't spend on faith. there are too many other things to spend on that have cold hard results.

30. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 14:30 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 14:20:
$30 (approx) for a reward that gets the game. 60 day kickstarter!? Maybe they're going to release a ton more info but this project seems like it's not going anywhere.

I'm somewhat annoyed that SC chose the $30 starting price point to get the game instead of something lower like $20 or even $15. But they had a lot of stuff to show, they have big plans and the idea is to get everyone into an alpha inside of 12 months and a beta after that so at least there is something to consider with the $30 starting point. ($35 now I believe)

This project doesn't have anything to show. (right?) This is kind of like that Shadowrun MMO showing up right after Shadowrun funded. Feels a lot like that. Hey I can make a game too if you guys want?

Well you have 60 days to get something for us to look at...I would have said get that stuff ready first, then start the KS but maybe you didn't want to miss all the attention that is on SC right now?

Yeah if we get art assets, or some kind of prototyping, I'll consider it, but if I don't even see some design documentation I'll pass.

29. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 14:20 Tumbler

$30 (approx) for a reward that gets the game. 60 day kickstarter!? Maybe they're going to release a ton more info but this project seems like it's not going anywhere.

I'm somewhat annoyed that SC chose the $30 starting price point to get the game instead of something lower like $20 or even $15. But they had a lot of stuff to show, they have big plans and the idea is to get everyone into an alpha inside of 12 months and a beta after that so at least there is something to consider with the $30 starting point. ($35 now I believe)

This project doesn't have anything to show. (right?) This is kind of like that Shadowrun MMO showing up right after Shadowrun funded. Feels a lot like that. Hey I can make a game too if you guys want?

Well you have 60 days to get something for us to look at...I would have said get that stuff ready first, then start the KS but maybe you didn't want to miss all the attention that is on SC right now?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

28. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 13:48 Flatline

Yeah I'm gonna pass.

I kickstarted Shadowrun Returns on not much more, but there was enough "perfect storm" stuff going on that I felt like I could (and should!) take the risk.

27. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 13:34 nin

You mean when they have something to show?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

26. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 13:18 Creston

Creston

25. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 13:17 John

For me it's not so much the money as it is the lack of info. I never played any of the Elite games before but I do like space sims so this is something I'd be willing to back. It has a long (2 month) KS campaign though so there is plenty of time for them to post some more info about it.

This space is available for rent

24. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 12:53 btallas

Thanks for handling that Britannia

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo