Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter

This new Kickstarter from David Braben and Frontier Developments seeks capital for Elite: Dangerous, a new installment in the Elite series of space simulations. The series has had its ups and downs since the release of the influential original Elite in 1984, including some lesser sequels and a proposed Elite 4, a project that's been in and out of limbo long enough to make Duke Nukem blush forever. The Kickstarter pitch acknowledges a certain lack of focus for Elite 4, and says the time is now right to redress this, saying: "I’ll be frank - we have had a couple of false starts on this over the years, where progress wasn’t as good as I wanted. Also, understandably, other projects have been prioritised – projects with announced dates or other commitments. Up to now 'Elite' has been worked upon by a small team as a ‘skunk-works’ activity in the background as availability permits. Nevertheless, we have been preparing; laying the technology and design foundations for when the time is right. And that time is now." There's an article about this on BBC News that includes a video with glimpses of prototype gameplay, and the Kickstarter page includes details about trading, combat, travel, and more, all under the following overview:

In the game, you will of course begin with a spacecraft and a small sum of Credits. You will be able to trade, pirate, bounty-hunt, explore, and salvage your way to wealth and fame, building on those key elements of the previous games, and with sumptuous graphics only now possible with the performance of today’s machines. Only this time some of the ships out there will be other players like yourself – other members of a secret ‘Elite’ group of space-farers…

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 12:53 gilly775

Sleep wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 12:24:
Plenty of penny pinching negativity here. But dont worry Americanos, we got this. You can come and join the party later.

Only because I've kickstarted many other games so far, including you country's "Sir, You Are Being Hunted." There's only so much my wife would let me pledge/buy. Besides, if he announced this earlier, I would have been on the bandwagon. But, I can always pick it up later.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 12:49 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 11:13:
He's been "making Elite 4" for like 20 years now. Please throw money at him so he can keep "making Elite 4" for another 20 years!

I'd gladly buy Elite 4 if it ever came out, but like Blue said, it's such incredible vaporware that it makes Duke Nukem Forever look like a reasonable way to develop a game.

Don't give him money. It's not going to get made.

Creston

I'm pretty sure I first read about Braben and his big plans for Elite on USENET. The only other contender still in the running for vaporware champion is the Starflight 3 fan project.

21. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 12:46 Optional Nickname!

If you want to play a modern Elite clone right now, try OOlite and its many useful add-ons.

One of the joys of Elite was that of instant Spaceship Captain competency. You started off with a simple ship, with simple goals and a well defined upgrade path. The flight physics were just about perfect and you could take as much or as little time you wanted to accomplish any task.

I doubt that adding multiplayer to Elite would improve it, let alone keep it the same game.

20. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 12:40 Dr_Dissent

Well, I've lost more money in Vegas--and the potential win here is far greater than for any bet I've made there. I have so many fond memories of Elite as a child that I feel I already owe the guy money anyway.  

19. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 12:24 Sleep

Plenty of penny pinching negativity here. But dont worry Americanos, we got this. You can come and join the party later.  

18. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 11:43 gilly775

$32 is a little more than I would have liked to spend for a copy. But I had many enjoyable Elite 2: Frontier memories from years ago. Decisions....decisions.  

17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 11:31 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 11:27:
I hope it funds, but i wont be taking the leap. Also i think they alienate most of the world going with british pounds (which are more expensive in just about any currency). If it ever comes out and has some decent reviews i'll gladly pay 50$ then

Eh, they're based in the UK. This way the backers have to pay the conversion costs, rather than them having to do it. That part of it really doesn't bother me.

Creston

16. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 11:27 dj LiTh

I hope it funds, but i wont be taking the leap. Also i think they alienate most of the world going with british pounds (which are more expensive in just about any currency). If it ever comes out and has some decent reviews i'll gladly pay 50$ then  

15. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 11:25 ASeven

On one hand, oh fuck, Elite 4! The granddaddy of all space trade/exploration sim games! One of the best games ever made!

On the other hand, the lack of any screens, videos, details, etc leaves me cold, especially with the fact he hasn't been doing anything for the past 20 years.

In the end as much as I want to give him money I'll wait to see if he updates the kickstarter with more tangible stuff that proves he really is committed to releasing this at the date he set.

14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 11:17 Cutter

The $40 dollar tier is limited - that sort of nonsense pisses me off. After that it's $50 (30 pound is 48 bucks here atm). Way too much for a 2 million dollar game with so many unknown variables, bad starts, etc.

If they get it made and its good I'll pick it up then - when it's on sale. I just can't see this as more than a $20 game for me.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 11:14 Creston

reisub wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:38:
I have a friend that works at Frontier and he swore they weren't working on a new Elite. The lying bastard.

Was he lying? Or was he telling the truth, and Braben's just trying to cash in on the Kickstarter hype?

My money (and thus no funds) is on the latter.

Creston

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 11:13 Creston

He's been "making Elite 4" for like 20 years now. Please throw money at him so he can keep "making Elite 4" for another 20 years!

I'd gladly buy Elite 4 if it ever came out, but like Blue said, it's such incredible vaporware that it makes Duke Nukem Forever look like a reasonable way to develop a game.

Don't give him money. It's not going to get made.

Creston

11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 11:05 Parallax Abstraction

No video (which I thought was required on Kickstarter), no screenshots, barebones description and basically Braben going "Remember Elite? Give me a pile of money and I'll make another one." I'd love to see another Elite but at least try to sell me on the idea.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 10:49 ItBurn

InBlack wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:19:
BBut...bbut...space sims are dead! Dead I tell you! Just ask Chris Roberts!

If you ask me, it's probably because of Chris' success that the Elite kickstarter was started.

No screenshots, videos or anything? The description is also pretty bare bones. I mean, I love me some space sim, but this is giving away money for no reason.

9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 10:42 Iurand

Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:00:
$50 for the game? Pass.

Pledge £20 or more
Reserve a digital copy of the game, plus all rewards above.

£20 isn't $50 even on Steam.

InBlack wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:19:

CR is doing space sim (mostly pew pew), Elite is space trading game (motly ka-ching, with occasional pew-pew). Those are rather more popular (Xes, Eve-Online).

I have a friend that works at Frontier and he swore they weren't working on a new Elite. The lying bastard.

They don't have any screenshots or even concept art, so he wasn't lying.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2012, 10:58.

8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 10:41 nin

Kinda like being a fly on the wall whenever Lucas told folks to start working on episode 7. You know it had to be hard to keep a secret.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 10:38 reisub

6. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 10:37 btallas

John wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:01:
Not another one in pounds!

Hmm, no video or photos? Sure it may have been a successful game in the 80's but I'd like to see something more than just a lot of talk...

Edit: Dang, 5 people backed at 5,000 pounds already?

I agree 100% with this statement. Nothing to show, not even concept art!

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 10:19 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 10:01 John

Not another one in pounds!

Hmm, no video or photos? Sure it may have been a successful game in the 80's but I'd like to see something more than just a lot of talk...

Edit: Dang, 5 people backed at 5,000 pounds already?

This space is available for rent

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo