Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well today is Election Day here in the U.S., our annual opportunity to practice democracy (insert joke here about continuing to practice until we get it right). Here's hoping all those who are registered get out and vote, and that the process proceeds smoothly.

Smooth Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Obama vs Romney Boxing Match
Legendary Thieves.
Links: 'Battlestar Galactica- Blood and Chrome' being released online Friday.
New! GameMaxx. Thanks HARDOCP.
Science: Experiencing math anxiety may be like the experience of physical pain.
Broken Heart Syndrome: Now doctors say you really CAN die from a sudden shock to the system.
New dinosaur named after Sauron from Lord of the Rings. Or Blue's forum poster. Thanks nin.
Media: The Brooklyn Hipster.
Adam Savage Builds Patton Oswalt's Halloween Costume.
How Videos Go Viral.

View
236 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

116. Re: Broken Heart Syndrome Nov 7, 2012, 06:25 InBlack

Hate to break up your monologue there jdreyer just wanted to pipe in

Congratulations to all of you Americans on your new president. Wish you the best of luck!

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

115. Broken Heart Syndrome Nov 7, 2012, 05:25 jdreyer

Wow, who knew that Padme's death in Episode III was based in fact? Confused  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

114. Dinosaur Sauron Nov 7, 2012, 05:24 jdreyer

Did it have only one eye?

Are they going to change the infraorder to sauronpods?

113. BSG Blood and Chrome Nov 7, 2012, 05:22 jdreyer

Yeesh, most of those effect shots look rough.  

112. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 05:19 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 02:07:

Given how many people toke anyway - which is huge - vs. all the issues we see with booze, we're probably better off with more people toking than drinking anyway.

Cutter, Cutter, Cutter, stop making sense, will you? Think of all the jobs that would have to be cut from the prison system if we let all the pot smokers off the hook!

111. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 05:13 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 03:21:

Hell, I don't even toke anymore - except hash when I can find it - but it's absolutely insane that pot isn't at least decriminalized everywhere. Between pot and booze, pot is easily the lesser of two evils.

It's worse than that in the USA. Pot is a SCHEDULE 1 drug. That's the strictest classification. Yes, pot is considered ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS DRUGS IN AMERICA!!!111. Same as heroin and peyote. Hell, not even codeine or cocaine are sched 1. They're sched 2, a lower classification.

It all stems from films like Reefer Madness. "OMG teh black is smokin' MJ and commin' to steal our white womenz! We better ban that shit!" Completely ridiculous.

110. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 05:04 jdreyer

Jeraxle wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:46:
PHJF wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:42:
538 was picked up by NYT in 2010. The site has been around since 2008. It's math, it doesn't have a fucking bias.

It does when it doesn't take all polls into account. By your use of profanity, I assume I struck a nerve.. My apologies for expressing my opinion and a statement of fact.

How'd that work out for you? Oh, yeah, Nate Silver was 98% correct. So, apologies accepted. Get with the goddamn program.

109. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 05:02 jdreyer

nin wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:36:
edit: I've been reading http://electoral-vote.com/ since the 04 election, and he seems to nail it, most of the time.

Yeah, I visited that site religiously until Nate came along.

108. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 05:00 jdreyer

Jeraxle wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:32:
sauron wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:20:
Unbiased political statistics analysis done with hard math - very interesting. Honestly, it really is!

As much as I hate tempting the Lord of Mordor, I find it very difficult to believe anything published at the NY Times as "Unbiased". This day and age, you'll never find a "news outlet" that isn't biased in some way. Especially seeing as though 538 is a blog. I like what he's doing with his blog, but unfortunately, I can't believe that his stats are based in reality due to lack of trust in his sources.

/shrug

You're an ignoramus. And I mean that with all due respect (as little of that as there is). Nate Silver is ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS. There is NO BIAS IN HIS WORK. If he had bias in his work, he would have given more states to Obama than he actually won. So, what was his accuracy? 98 Fucking percent. Yes, he predicted, based on statistics, which 49 out of 50 states would go to Obama and which ones wouldn't. The last state, which he predicted for Obama, and in which Obama is 50K votes ahead, but it's too close to call? Yeah, that's Rig's state of FL. If FL goes for Obama (which it looks like it will) Nate will be 50 out of 50. That's equal to guessing ALL the football game winners correct for an entire month. Without error.

So, when you say shit like "I find it hard to believe the NY Times is unbiased" you're really just revealing your own stupidity and lack of understanding. But by all means, live in your bubble. Ignore reality. Let us know how that works out for you.

107. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 04:53 jdreyer

sauron wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 10:20:
nin wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 09:59:
Voted Friday. Now I get to sit back and watch the fireworks. And being a glutton for punishment, I'm sure I'll be following it all night.

I'm unable to vote (foreign passport - Mordor; also, the Lidless Eye has no hands). However, Ive been absolutely glued to the Five Thirty-Eight page for weeks:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

Unbiased political statistics analysis done with hard math - very interesting. Honestly, it really is!

So far, Nate Silver is 49 out of 50 state-wise, and FL may still swing his way (they're still counting). The man is so good at what he does.

106. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 03:21 Cutter

Jeraxle wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 02:45:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 02:24:

I think that comes with the "and regulate" part of the "legalize and regulate" amendments. So it should certainly be something that they enact laws to cover. Not sure if they make a breathalyzer for that yet though.

Agreed. It will be interesting how they plan to implement this and how they intend to enforce it.

Probably much not different from how it is now. I lived in Vancouver for over 10 years and it was well know than unless someone had a major quantity of pot - or was just being an idiot - cops would never arrest them because it simply wasn't worth the expense in the courts, etc. I was stopped several times over the years by cops while having a toke and just given a 'Hey bud, keep it private, ok?'

Hell, I don't even toke anymore - except hash when I can find it - but it's absolutely insane that pot isn't at least decriminalized everywhere. Between pot and booze, pot is easily the lesser of two evils.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

105. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 02:45 Jeraxle

I think that comes with the "and regulate" part of the "legalize and regulate" amendments. So it should certainly be something that they enact laws to cover. Not sure if they make a breathalyzer for that yet though.

Agreed. It will be interesting how they plan to implement this and how they intend to enforce it.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

104. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 02:43 Cutter

Jeraxle wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 02:14:
Given how many people toke anyway - which is huge - vs. all the issues we see with booze, we're probably better off with more people toking than drinking anyway.

Just pointing out that tokers are lumped in with the drinkers in my book. The result is the same.. Me, angry, at their door.. =)

I'm pretty sure they do. At least that's what I understand here is they can tell. Even if they couldn't I sincerely doubt any cop worth his salt can't tell when someone is stoned.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

103. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 02:24 Wowbagger_TIP

Jeraxle wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 02:14:

Just pointing out that tokers are lumped in with the drinkers in my book. The result is the same.. Me, angry, at their door.. =)

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

102. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 02:14 Jeraxle

101. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 02:07 Cutter

Jeraxle wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 01:45:
Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 01:44:
Jeraxle wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 01:39:
That being said, if your state says it's cool.. Toke up brother.. Just not in my house. =)

And that's all anyone is asking for anyway.

As long as people realize that if one is under the influence while driving and kills/hurts one of my loved ones, I'll be at their house to exact revenge, then we're all cool. =)

100. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 01:45 Jeraxle

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 01:44:
That being said, if your state says it's cool.. Toke up brother.. Just not in my house. =)

As long as people realize that if one is under the influence while driving and kills/hurts one of my loved ones, I'll be at their house to exact revenge, then we're all cool. =)

99. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 01:44 Cutter

98. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 01:39 Jeraxle

Cutter wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 01:04:

Oddly enough they fell just shy of it in Oregon. And who cares if its illegal at the federal level. What about state rights? Hah! That's a major conundrum for the anti-pot conservartives who always crow on about state rights. Lol!

I, as an anti-pot conservative, completely agree with you Cutter. =) I am 100% for states rights. I still believe that the DEA was an unconstitutional agency. Nowhere in the constitution is there provisions for the federal government to establish such an agency. There are a lot of agencies that fail the constitution litmus test.

97. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2012, 01:36 xXBatmanXx

3 hours later i got to vote.....wtf. it is 2012. Can we get a better fucking system?  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

236 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo