Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well today is Election Day here in the U.S., our annual opportunity to practice democracy (insert joke here about continuing to practice until we get it right). Here's hoping all those who are registered get out and vote, and that the process proceeds smoothly.

Smooth Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Obama vs Romney Boxing Match
Legendary Thieves.
Links: 'Battlestar Galactica- Blood and Chrome' being released online Friday.
New! GameMaxx. Thanks HARDOCP.
Science: Experiencing math anxiety may be like the experience of physical pain.
Broken Heart Syndrome: Now doctors say you really CAN die from a sudden shock to the system.
New dinosaur named after Sauron from Lord of the Rings. Or Blue's forum poster. Thanks nin.
Media: The Brooklyn Hipster.
Adam Savage Builds Patton Oswalt's Halloween Costume.
How Videos Go Viral.

View
236 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

76. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 18:07 xXBatmanXx

ugh, live in a terrible place for the voting spot. Wife voted this AM said it was 2 hours to get through the line. I just went to vote and the line was 3-4 people across and 2 blocks long......guess i will try right before they close....the place is TINY!

I predict record turnout with a new President. A testament to the previous 4 years.

/we also have 2 items on the ballot that caused a stir and might be causing the lines.

1. Allow same sex marriage
2. Voter ID card

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: How Videos Go Viral Nov 6, 2012, 18:04 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 17:04:
And here is the major issue in this election: You all are arguing over Obomney. Same guy, different pants.

I voted my conscience (Gary Johnson), and didn't have to pick the lesser of two evils. If everyone would do that, we wouldn't be stuck with two sports teams running the country into the shithole.

I'm not sure that 180 million votes for 180 million different candidates would really do much, though.

Creston

74. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 17:48 RollinThundr

Bodolza wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 16:31:
RollinThundr wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 16:25:
Don't just raise taxes while still spending out of control like both parties are currently doing.

Wow. After your previous rants, I'm a bit surprised that you support Obama's position on spending.

LOL Obama's position on spending is raise taxes while continuing to spend. So no, I don't support the Obmessiah's position.

73. Re: How Videos Go Viral Nov 6, 2012, 17:43 Enahs

I voted Ned Land, we need a good harpoonists to get this country back on course!

Although, he is Canadian, so that might have been a waste of a vote in retrospect.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

72. Re: How Videos Go Viral Nov 6, 2012, 17:21 Ratty

And here is the major issue in this election: You all are arguing over Obomney. Same guy, different pants.

I voted my conscience (Gary Johnson), and didn't have to pick the lesser of two evils. If everyone would do that, we wouldn't be stuck with two sports teams running the country into the shithole.
I didn't vote for him but he certainly doesn't seem all nut-casey like most other Libertarians. My qualms are philosophical and policy-based, not oh my god what will that psycho do when he's running the country. Which is a relief. It looks like the Libertarians picked somebody decent to represent them.

71. Re: How Videos Go Viral Nov 6, 2012, 17:12 Wowbagger_TIP

If there was a realistic way to get everyone to do that, then you'd be on to something, but there isn't. The best thing we can do to oppose the 2-party system is to make enough people aware that there are better ways to run elections, and that the current system is rigged to benefit the current parties, that they will start to demand a change. If you ever want to have another serious option, then the election system has to change.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

70. Re: How Videos Go Viral Nov 6, 2012, 17:04 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

69. Re: How Videos Go Viral Nov 6, 2012, 16:34 MajorD

If anyone wants a break from politics, and a good laugh - unless you already had some laughs from politics - the link above on 'How Videos Go Viral' is pretty comical. Now I know how PewDiePie became so successful. ;^)

Thanks Ant and/or Acleacius and Blue.

68. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 16:31 Bodolza

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 16:25:
Don't just raise taxes while still spending out of control like both parties are currently doing.

Wow. After your previous rants, I'm a bit surprised that you support Obama's position on spending.

67. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 16:25 RollinThundr

Mingus wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 16:05:
RollinThundr wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:52:

We have to make cuts and lots of them or we eventually go bankrupt, period, why is that so hard for libs to comprehend? That doesn't even play into party lines, it makes no difference who's in office. Why are liberals so deathly afraid of coming to the understanding that we can't substain going the way we are. It's just not humanly possible I'm sorry.

You forgot the second part, cuts yes, but tax revenue will also have to rise in order for the US to get out from under the debt their in. Until and unless the GOP throw Grover Norquist (sp?) and his no tax increase pledge under the bus, spending cuts alone will not solve the problem. You asked for reality, so deal with it.

Actually I'm fine with that, just get it done. Don't just raise taxes while still spending out of control like both parties are currently doing. Sure it may end up being difficult for some, but it's far better than the alternative.

66. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 16:09 Draugr

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:18:
Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:08:
Oh don't mind Thunbder, everyone knows by now that like most of the rank and file GOP he'll never let actual facts stand in the way of a good rant against the Democrats. Obama isn't a miracle worker and it's hard to get anything done when the GOP oppose the man at every turn no matter how much he strives to cross the aisle and work together. And how would Romney's plans be any better? Oh wait, he doesn't have any. At leas none that he's shared publicly. What we've seen privately is that he believes at least 47% of the country are parasites who shouldn't even be entitled to food. Yeah, I can see where the GOP is a real boon to working people everywhere just like they always are...cut taxes on the rich and big biz, farm out domestic jobs, keep letting the military-industrial complex bankrupt the country. And the most fascinating part is they convince their followers to believe that all the resultant problem of that is the fault of the democrats. Amazing!!! It's like the greatest illusion of all time.

And yes, there are pretty major differences in the left and right, just go google some voting records.

The fact of the matter is Cutter, his party controlled both the house and the senate for his first 2 years of office and he still couldn't even pass a budget. (still waiting btw) Yet it's still Bush's fault, or the Republicans fault, or its little Timmy down the street's fault. Clinton actually worked with the Republicans, if you can honestly say Obama has done the same I'll just come out and say it bluntly, you're an idiot.

Liberals amaze me at their ability to consistantly blame everyone else yet manage to never take responsibility for anything unless it's a good thing.

Said Rollinthundr, as he blamed Obama for everything that is currently wrong with the country. Undoubtedly a Romney presidency would never discuss the policies of the previous administration and how that effects people in the present day! 'It's their fault, choose me I'll do better,' is ultimately the crux of any election.

If you're completely oblivious to Mitch Mconnell's comment of making Obama a one term president, and you don't take into account that filibusters/cloture votes are basically required to get anything of value done, then I could see why you'd think the way you do.
Of course that was the idea, All the opposition needed to do was sit on there hands for four years, not do anything, and then blame the president for them not doing their jobs. Funnily enough, the conservatives in congress blame Obama for them not doing their job and you're perfectly willing to accept that, while on the other hand you accuse Obama of the same behavior, blaming others, but when he does it it's completely unacceptable.
It's almost like you're a hypocrite!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/images/cloture-stats-chart2.jpg
The amount of cloture votes needed to even discuss things during these last four years of congress has been comically high, almost double when compared to the last decade combined. Everyone can think of one or two old conservative positions that were abandoned and decried when obama looked close to implementing them. Shit 4 years ago Romney ran (partially) on implementing his Mass. healthcare plan, and now he is running with the intention of repealing it.

I'm sorry you don't understand that spending in a recession is important to things not taking even longer to recover. Austerity has proven in the past (and in the present) to negatively influence a recession/depression.

Why look at any data though when fox news is around to tell us what to think.

Why are liberals so deathly afraid of coming to the understanding that we can't substain going the way we are. It's just not humanly possible I'm sorry.

I don't think they are, they just have no interested in destroying the safety net to do so when we're ready to go to war at a moments notice without concerning ourselves with the cost. It's also fair to point out that gutting programs isn't the only way to resolve this issue. But for one side that is basically the solution. I think it's also worth pointing out that governments and debt don't really work in the same way you running a household debt does. Does the defecit need to be addressed? Yes. Is it the bogeyman it's made out to be? No.

65. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 16:07 sauron

nin wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 16:05:
sauron wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 16:04:
Blue wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 09:48:
New dinosaur named after Sauron from Lord of the Rings. Or Blue's forum poster. Thanks nin.

I have a couple of those in a kennel out in the yard - Fluffy and Rainbowdash.

Mrs. Sauron won't let me bring them into the house on account of their claws tearing up the drapes. Plus they eat the servants.

I told Blue I thought you'd get a kick out of that.

Heh heh, I sure did. Thanks!

Kittens!

64. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 16:05 Mingus

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:52:

We have to make cuts and lots of them or we eventually go bankrupt, period, why is that so hard for libs to comprehend? That doesn't even play into party lines, it makes no difference who's in office. Why are liberals so deathly afraid of coming to the understanding that we can't substain going the way we are. It's just not humanly possible I'm sorry.

You forgot the second part, cuts yes, but tax revenue will also have to rise in order for the US to get out from under the debt their in. Until and unless the GOP throw Grover Norquist (sp?) and his no tax increase pledge under the bus, spending cuts alone will not solve the problem. You asked for reality, so deal with it.

63. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 16:05 nin

sauron wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 16:04:

Mrs. Sauron won't let me bring them into the house on account of their claws tearing up the drapes. Plus they eat the servants.

I told Blue I thought you'd get a kick out of that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

62. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 16:04 sauron

Kittens!

61. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 15:59 MajorD

The problem is we have too many politicians – not all, but too many –in office fulfilling their own selfish/personal agendas and gains, and not there for the good of the country and the people! Time to clean F’ing house in Washington!

The Dems and Repubs are too far slanted, and really need to work on finding more common ground for the better of the country and the people. I’m sure it has always been that way, but doesn’t it seem to be getting worse?

In regards to the Presidential Election; who is the lesser of the two evils? In the end, they’re all puppets! Whether some like it or not, Obama will most likely win again. So, there is no doubt we’ll have to endure more/higher taxes to pay for all the bills that pass for more of the unnecessary programs, and for all the national debt he racked up in his first term. I wasn’t too much of a Bill Clinton fan, but he is one of our past presidents that was very successful with reducing our national debt while he was in office……

60. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 15:53 El Pit

Guys, go and give your vote to your candidate. People have given their lives for the right of people to elect a president, people are still risking their lives to secure this right. Don't give it up - go out and VOTE!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

59. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 15:52 RollinThundr

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:45:
Oh don't mind Thunbder, everyone knows by now that like most of the rank and file GOP he'll never let actual facts stand in the way of a good rant against the Democrats. Obama isn't a miracle worker and it's hard to get anything done when the GOP oppose the man at every turn no matter how much he strives to cross the aisle and work together. And how would Romney's plans be any better? Oh wait, he doesn't have any. At leas none that he's shared publicly. What we've seen privately is that he believes at least 47% of the country are parasites who shouldn't even be entitled to food. Yeah, I can see where the GOP is a real boon to working people everywhere just like they always are...cut taxes on the rich and big biz, farm out domestic jobs, keep letting the military-industrial complex bankrupt the country. And the most fascinating part is they convince their followers to believe that all the resultant problem of that is the fault of the democrats. Amazing!!! It's like the greatest illusion of all time.

And yes, there are pretty major differences in the left and right, just go google some voting records.

The fact of the matter is Cutter, his party controlled both the house and the senate for his first 2 years of office and he still couldn't even pass a budget. (still waiting btw) Yet it's still Bush's fault, or the Republicans fault, or its little Timmy down the street's fault. Clinton actually worked with the Republicans, if you can honestly say Obama has done the same I'll just come out and say it bluntly, you're an idiot.

Liberals amaze me at their ability to consistantly blame everyone else yet manage to never take responsibility for anything unless it's a good thing.
I think you've proved Cutter's point yet again. No, the Democrats did not control Congress for 2 years.

Spending to the point of oblivion for the sake of spending to the point of obvlion is bad regardless of what party you're affliated with. Common sense man. And I'm sorry if taxing the 1% a little more which realistically won't make a difference without making significant cuts, along with a healthcare tax which is essentially what obamacare is, another revenue stream to spend spend spend, aren't exactly top of my list of great ideas.
And yet again... spending has come down under Obama. Taxing the 1% is just a part of the solution, not the entirety of it. I remember a while back the GOP was all about how "every little bit counts" when it comes to cutting. Same holds true here. We don't need one silver bullet. We need a lot of changes that add up. I don't agree with some of what Obama has done or what he's likely to do if re-elected, but Romney is a far worse choice. He won't even tell us what he's going to do, and he seems to change positions on everything. And what's even worse is that he's going to have a whole crazy train of these GOP jackasses, who've been proving their ignorance and fanaticism on a regular basis, following him in if he wins. Why would I vote for that?

5 trillion and a failed stimulus with 10% or higher still out of work, except those who stopped looking aren't counted anymore so that number is more than likely closer to 15-17%, why would you want to continue us down that path? I just can't for the life of me fathom the logic in doing that.

58. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 15:45 Wowbagger_TIP

I think you've proved Cutter's point yet again. No, the Democrats did not control Congress for 2 years.

Spending to the point of oblivion for the sake of spending to the point of obvlion is bad regardless of what party you're affliated with. Common sense man. And I'm sorry if taxing the 1% a little more which realistically won't make a difference without making significant cuts, along with a healthcare tax which is essentially what obamacare is, another revenue stream to spend spend spend, aren't exactly top of my list of great ideas.
And yet again... spending has come down under Obama. Taxing the 1% is just a part of the solution, not the entirety of it. I remember a while back the GOP was all about how "every little bit counts" when it comes to cutting. Same holds true here. We don't need one silver bullet. We need a lot of changes that add up. I don't agree with some of what Obama has done or what he's likely to do if re-elected, but Romney is a far worse choice. He won't even tell us what he's going to do, and he seems to change positions on everything. And what's even worse is that he's going to have a whole crazy train of these GOP jackasses, who've been proving their ignorance and fanaticism on a regular basis, following him in if he wins. Why would I vote for that?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

57. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 15:44 RollinThundr

Bodolza wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:37:
The fact of the matter is Cutter, his party controlled both the house and the senate for his first 2 years of office and he still couldn't even pass a budget.
This isn't true. He had control for about 4 months - 2 of which they weren't in session. Whoever told you that is lying to you. They are controlling you through their lies. I urge you to stop believing those who lie to you.

Spending to the point of oblivion for the sake of spending to the point of obvlion is bad regardless of what party you're affliated with.

PropheT already provides some facts about this, and NO party is advocating your view. Why do you think this way?

Um it's plenty true, Dem's have had control of the senate his entire term, congress for half of it. I fully realize it's tradition for libs to try and revise history but c'mon.

If the rate of spending continues the way it has during Obama's first term for his second term, we'll be 20 trillion in debt, if you don't consider that going the route of bankrupting us, well I have a bridge to sell you real cheap.

236 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo