Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed

THQ's Fiscal 2013 Second Quarter Results are online, offering the company's latest balance sheet, and the results are not pretty, showing nearly $21 million in losses, though this not as bad as previously projected. This also reveals some game delays: "THQ announced today that South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ is now planned for launch worldwide in early fiscal 2014. South Park: The Stick of Truth had previously been slated for release on March 5, 2013. Additional changes to fiscal 2013 release dates include those for Company of Heroes® 2 and Metro: Last Light, both of which are expected to ship in March, later than initially planned." This is accompanied by quotes from company president Jason Rubin, who says the delays are part of the company's commitment to quality. There's an article with analysis of these results on Gamasutra, where they ask if this is the beginning of the end for THQ?

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 06:48 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 00:17:
No mention of Saints Row 4? I think that's their only IP that's practically guaranteed to do well.
SR4 is at least a year off. There's no sense in mentioning it right now.

Trevellian wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 22:00:
They need to release more COH, Saints Row, and Dawn of War, and avoid crap like Space Marine.
Hey! I liked Space Marine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 06:37 deqer

oh THQ, you should've stuck with the Supreme Commander franchise, instead of selling it to Squaresoft.  

21. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 06:32 zombiefan

Coming up next, yet ANOTHER Saint's Row The Third sale!!!

Crash and burn, you motherfuckers (THQ).

20. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 05:57 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 05:11:
Weird, Hoop isn't known for spamming. I guess he really wants Obama to win.
Cant he keep his minor regional election to himself? Bluesnews is international

19. No subject Nov 6, 2012, 05:38 Cornholio

I am really looking forward to the south park game.

fuck why hasn't someone gotten the Team America IP and made a shooter out of that. Team America: the game. FUCK YEAH!!!

18. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 05:11 Jerykk

Weird, Hoop isn't known for spamming. I guess he really wants Obama to win.  

17. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 04:35 jdreyer

They need to release more COH, Saints Row, and Dawn of War, and avoid crap like Space Marine.

Hell ffs, you guys bought the rights to it, let Relic bust out a Homeworld 3 and I guarantee it would sell.

As good as the HW series was, RTS is really a niche market. It might not be that risky, but the payoff wouldn't be great either.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 02:33 Kajetan

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 21:00:
I have always loved THQ.
You love a company? A company which has ripped off a talented studio like Iron Lore and lied about the reason for their closure? A company which made a small fortune from selling Titan Quest online as a budget title, giving its former studio employees not one single dime?

Yeah, but you just love that company ... they DESERVE to go under. Fast!

15. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 01:18 jacobvandy

Nice spam, jerk. Another one for the ignore list.  

14. removed Nov 6, 2012, 01:08 Hoop

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 6, 2012, 08:15.

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 00:35 Prez

That's a pretty good synopsis of the situation, Parallax A. As it was illustrated in sordid detail in the post mortem on Kaos Studios yesterday mismanagement, incompetent leadership, and terrible judgement are what kills a company.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

12. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 6, 2012, 00:17 Jerykk

No mention of Saints Row 4? I think that's their only IP that's practically guaranteed to do well.  

11. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 5, 2012, 23:01 nin

Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 22:54:
They dropped the ball with Red Faction. Even if they go the way of the dodo someone will snap up Saints Row. I'm sure Metro will be fine too. South Park pushed back a year? Ouch. Must be having some real issues with it.

K says their fiscal 2014 begins in April, so it's delayed a couple of months:
http://kotaku.com/5957904/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 5, 2012, 22:59 John

Well I hope they at least finish the next Metro game..

Hell ffs, you guys bought the rights to it, let Relic bust out a Homeworld 3 and I guarantee it would sell.
Yeah, I'd love to see another Homeworld! Relic needs to get on it.

This space is available for rent

9. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 5, 2012, 22:54 Cutter

They dropped the ball with Red Faction. Even if they go the way of the dodo someone will snap up Saints Row. I'm sure Metro will be fine too. South Park pushed back a year? Ouch. Must be having some real issues with it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 5, 2012, 22:26 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 21:00:
I have always loved THQ. That they made some serious missteps is undeniable, but I own and love a whole lot of their games. Really looking forward to Metro and CoH2; it would be a travesty if they never got released. And yeah, Saints Row needs to be saved. As an aside I may be wishing for the moon here, but can someone (not THQ obviously) give us a proper sequel to the open-ended and super fun Red Faction Guerrilla? Armageddon was such a step back for the series.

All the games mentioned in this story will come out, one way or the other. They're all too far along in development. If THQ goes under, another big publisher will pick up the studios and IPs for pennies on the dollar and put the games out. That they're bleeding money and still delaying the games to ensure they ship in a high quality state is ballsy as Hell but I wonder if it will pay off for them.

I was reading on I think a Gamasutra comment someone saying that THQ has been horribly managed for years, that Farrell's a terrible CEO (hard to deny now) who never understood quality games and that the only thing that carried them this far was the licensed crap they were putting out. When people stopped buying those games, the thing that kept them successful despite themselves went away and now their chickens are coming home to roost. It's such a shame because they have some amazing development talent who knows how to make good games but their management has no idea what it's doing. They let CoH languish for years while pouring money into Homefront (read the recent Polygon story to see that mess) and releasing uDraw the year after the iPad, then wondering why nobody bought it. They even had a chance to lock Respawn Entertainment down but refused to let them keep their IP and lost what's almost a guaranteed cash cow to EA. No one in the press was talking about it back then but every hack analyst like Pachter and Dent are now throwing in their two cents as if they knew this all along.

That the THQ board hasn't run Farrell out of town on a rail yet is a sign that they still don't know what they're doing. I think bringing Jason Rubin in to shepherd these titles to a quality point was a good idea but I fear he was brought in way too late. This industry needs more competition but there seem to be only a small handful that know how to run one of these businesses properly.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

7. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 5, 2012, 22:17 Slashman

I'd be first in line for Homeworld 3...

6. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 5, 2012, 22:00 Trevellian

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

5. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 5, 2012, 21:35 ViRGE

THQ is definitely in trouble, but I'm not sure I'd count them out yet. They should have enough in the bank to get them to the major game launches covered in the article. Then it's just a matter of seeing how good those games are and how well they sell.  

4. Re: CoH2, Metro Last Light, and South Park Game Delayed Nov 5, 2012, 21:00 Prez

I have always loved THQ. That they made some serious missteps is undeniable, but I own and love a whole lot of their games. Really looking forward to Metro and CoH2; it would be a travesty if they never got released. And yeah, Saints Row needs to be saved. As an aside I may be wishing for the moon here, but can someone (not THQ obviously) give us a proper sequel to the open-ended and super fun Red Faction Guerrilla? Armageddon was such a step back for the series.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo