Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

The Astronauts - Reboot your AAA brain with indie games. Thanks Joao.
The catch is that you will understand the benefits of rebooting your AAA brain only after you do it. You cannot explain it to someone who’s not a father what it feels like to be one. You can throw “unconditional love” and “life forever changed” at them, and they will say they get it. But they don’t. And they will only see that after they become fathers themselves.

Kotaku - The Contemptible Games Journalist- Why So Many People Don’t Trust The Gaming Press (And Why They’re Sometimes Wrong). Thanks nin.
Welcome to the world of games journalism, where, at any moment, someone is certain that you suck at your job. It's not the only job of this type, but it's the one we've got here. It's the one under a more intense microscope than ever these past couple of weeks.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 6, 2012, 15:24 Simon Says

Incredibly good article at The Astronauts. The plato's cavern allegory analogy was spot on. The thought process that the author wants to engage the developer in can be applied to all aspects of life, not just making games.

That's one for the books. Those who will listen will get out of the cavern and thrive all the while being hated by those, unfortunate 'don't want to adapt and evolve while slowly dying' folks, still gawking at the shadows in the cavern.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2012, 15:33.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Op Ed Nov 6, 2012, 10:36 Alamar

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 22:45:
It's not like the developers have limitless creative control over the products they make. They should but they don't.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement, because, I am a gamer, and I would like games to continue being made : )

-Alamar

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 6, 2012, 09:10 Creston

Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 00:27:
re: Kotaku - The lady bitch doth protest too much, methinks. Somehow we're supposed to pity game reviewers for all of the stuff they get from publishers, and understand how everyone involved in the whole Florence/Eurogamer mess are basically good people. Bullshit. It's just easier for the game companies to buy the reviewers that it would be for them to hire more P.R. weasels.

No offense, but you couldn't have figured out beforehand that a KOTAKU article was going to be a big "YAY GAMING PRESS!" fluff-fest? They're at the absolute top for being publisher/PR cheerleaders. (Comes from being owned by gawker, I guess.)

Creston

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 6, 2012, 08:00 strong placebo

The kotaku article totally misses the point by going on and on about the "free swag" that game journalists get." The swag is just a symptom and not the crux.

And I like how the article writer says there's really no meaningful way to stop all of the free swag. Uh huh.

"More turn-based please"

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 6, 2012, 03:56 Suppa7

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 22:45:
Sure there are a ton of boring, gray/brown shooters. But there's also a billion and one indie 2D platformers with an 8-bit art style that's done out of a lack of art ability as opposed to any intentional, meaningful design choice. Indie games can and should provide a lot of inspiration but they're not all that's right with gaming, nor is AAA all that's wrong.

The reason is most indie developers are short on funds and manpower. Hence we see seasoned developers starting kickstarters to try and retake the middle ground. Although I have serious doubts do to time and budget constraints. Developers are up against cpu and gpu power and the time it takes to develop art and assets is the most significant.

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 6, 2012, 02:06 Fantaz

Kobalt wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 00:30:
Kotaku is probably the worst site out there to make the argument that game "journalist" aren't all trash.

And that's probably why they bring it up, because they're starting to become aware of themselves now...

5. removed Nov 6, 2012, 01:10 Hoop

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 6, 2012, 08:14.

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 6, 2012, 00:30 Kobalt

Kotaku is probably the worst site out there to make the argument that game "journalist" aren't all trash.  

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 6, 2012, 00:27 Eirikrautha

re: Kotaku - The lady bitch doth protest too much, methinks. Somehow we're supposed to pity game reviewers for all of the stuff they get from publishers, and understand how everyone involved in the whole Florence/Eurogamer mess are basically good people. Bullshit. It's just easier for the game companies to buy the reviewers that it would be for them to hire more P.R. weasels.

That's one of the best reasons to come to Blues. I know I'm going to hear the good and the bad of every game (and usually to hyperbolic extremes ), and I'll be able to make up my mind from that. That beats all the bought-and-paid-for game "journalists" in the business combined...

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 5, 2012, 22:45 Parallax Abstraction

ASeven wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 20:57:
Amazing blog article on the Astrounauts. Should become mandatory reading for every single developer out there.

He makes a good point but I don't think it's quite as simple as he says and I don't think the majority of AAA developers never question what they're doing. It's not like the developers have limitless creative control over the products they make. They should but they don't.

Sure there are a ton of boring, gray/brown shooters. But there's also a billion and one indie 2D platformers with an 8-bit art style that's done out of a lack of art ability as opposed to any intentional, meaningful design choice. Indie games can and should provide a lot of inspiration but they're not all that's right with gaming, nor is AAA all that's wrong.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 5, 2012, 20:57 ASeven

Amazing blog article on the Astrounauts. Should become mandatory reading for every single developer out there.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo