Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Battlefield 1942

The Battlefield Blog announces DICE is handing out free copies of Battlefield 1942 on Origin as part of their celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Battlefield series of military first-person shooters (thanks Charles). This is accompanied by an electronic art booklet for this Electronic Arts game, saying this "contains a number of concepts showing visual and gameplay targets that the DICE team had more than ten years ago when they set out to create the game of their dreams," though they also warn the 1920x1080 presentation weighs in at over 150 MB. There is an accompanying FAQ confirming this is a free release of the original game, that it does not include either of its expansions, that players of the free version cannot play in the same games as owners of the original on-disc version (though owners of the disc version can obviously get the free version), and that they are running public servers in addition to anyone's ability to run a dedicated server. Here's word:

We are very happy and proud to be able to give you Battlefield 1942, the game that started it all. Now available for free* on Origin as a digital download for the first time, everyone will be able to download and play this original PC game that helped define DICE and the multiplayer shooter genre.

Karl Magnus Troedsson, Vice President and General Manager of DICE, has a message to all of our fans:

“Since the beginning, the reception to the Battlefield series has been incredible thanks to our amazing fans. Every day, we strive to provide our community with great games and new ways to play as evident with Battlefield 3 Premium. We wanted to thank our fans who have supported us throughout the years with a chance to go back and play the game that started it all.”

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

22. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 17:18 Julio

Won't that show everyone that 1942 was better than BF3?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 16:39 Bhruic

shihonage wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:05:
I hate to tell people to learn to read on the Internet, it's so passe. Why do you make me do it...

My first post also referred to "the amount of DRM shit that constantly runs in background".

So learn to read.

Sure, and your first post also says that you don't want to run it because you were "conserving system resources".

So reading just fine, thanks.

20. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 16:37 deqer

ELITE wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 13:56:
That's awesome. I Love BF1942.

Okay so it's a ploy to make some money off the expansion packs I'm guessing.
No, it's a ploy to get you on Origin, their digital store and to own you.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick to the original cd ISO from 10 years ago.

19. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 16:16 killer_roach

Sleeeeepy wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:05:
Hmm can't get into origin right now, guess related to this.

As for some hidden agenda, it's a nice gesture that cost them very little money, and I think the only "ulterior motive" would be to push Origin a bit more into people's mindspace. Honestly, everyone wins. If you don't consider it a win, don't download it, move on with your life unmolested.

Around here there's people who fully expect EA to molest them, seems like.

18. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 16:16 Verno

shihonage wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:05:
I hate to tell people to learn to read on the Internet, it's so passe. Why do you make me do it...

My first post also referred to "the amount of DRM shit that constantly runs in background".

So learn to read.

The guy who quoted you was and that's who I was responding to. If you read my post then you would know I even said it was in response to the general complaint about DD clients using system resources.

We've come to know what Valve is and isn't capable of. They are probably the sanest game company to ever exist. And despite Steam not being a stellar piece of programming, it doesn't overreach, as it easily could. In the hands of a corrupt company, a product you let run in background could install browser toolbars, collect personal information, throw ads in your face, hog CPU time and bandwidth due to poor coding, you name it.

Everyone collects your information, Valve included. EA might sell it to marketers (I suspect Valve does too but who knows) but they are all collecting it and you don't know what they are doing with it. We give Valve more credit for their actions and behavior but most of the other DD clients aren't doing the things you mention outside of collecting info, something they all do, Valve included.

EA has not earned my trust.

That is an old and inaccurate article which was later debunked to be part of the installed games scan, you can trigger a similar response from Steam.

Let's be clear though, I don't particularly care for Origin, I think it's a half assed client from EA that doesn't even have feature parity with Steam. As soon as I'm finished with BF3 I will likely uninstall it as I don't even play many EA games anymore. I just don't see the problem in acknowledging the truth that Steam is as much of a "spyware" or "DRM" piece of software as the rest of them. It's a form of DRM that I can live with given its benefits.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2012, 16:23.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

17. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 16:13 Tanto Edge

Nope. No way.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

16. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 16:05 Sleeeeepy

Hmm can't get into origin right now, guess related to this.

As for some hidden agenda, it's a nice gesture that cost them very little money, and I think the only "ulterior motive" would be to push Origin a bit more into people's mindspace. Honestly, everyone wins. If you don't consider it a win, don't download it, move on with your life unmolested.

15. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 16:05 shihonage

Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 15:46:
shihonage wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 15:43:
Verno wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 14:51:
Yeah I don't really get that one either, seems like a spergy nitpick. The shittiest laptops still have 2GB of memory, people really need to let it go. I don't really care if Steam or Origin use 200MB of memory, I have more than the OS and an active game running can ever use. I care more about the info they collect than the resource footprint.

Yes, let's keep on telling big companies that it's OKAY to install their particular brands of remotely-updated DRM and potential malware(it's all about trust, right?) instead of having them conform to Steam. There's plenty of room in systray yet!

Yeah. To each their own.

That's a different argument than "WAHHH MY 20MB OF MEMORY!" sooooo.

So learn to read.

Also Steam itself is basically DRM so having them "conform" to it isn't saying much. I love Steam and I think Origin is a mediocre piece of shit that doesn't do much well but if you compare their base functions and protections, they are fairly equivalent.

We've come to know what Valve is and isn't capable of. They are probably the sanest game company to ever exist. And despite Steam not being a stellar piece of programming, it doesn't overreach, as it easily could. In the hands of a corrupt company, a product you let run in background could install browser toolbars, collect personal information, throw ads in your face, hog CPU time and bandwidth due to poor coding, you name it.

EA has not earned my trust.

That is an old build of Origin. Who knows that a newer build does? Today? Tomorrow? This comes from company that's embraced Ubisoft-style always-on DRM in some of their titles, so they aren't shy when it comes to draconian measures.

Good luck with that. I'll pass.

14. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 15:55 DangerDog

And I'm still waiting for BF1943 to be on PC... but I guess this is cool...

Wait no maybe it's not - maybe I'm just falling for their ploy! I'm so confused!

1943 is NEVER coming to the PC, I'd rather have an updated 1942 than that xbox arcade junk anyway. Until I see screenshots or video from BF4 it could very well be a return to WWII setting.

Widescreen fix for 1942 requires some file editing

Widescreen 1942

Here is the explanation for why the origin version doesn't work with the disc based version.

MordorHQ Post #81

13. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 15:46 Verno

shihonage wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 15:43:
Yeah I don't really get that one either, seems like a spergy nitpick. The shittiest laptops still have 2GB of memory, people really need to let it go. I don't really care if Steam or Origin use 200MB of memory, I have more than the OS and an active game running can ever use. I care more about the info they collect than the resource footprint.

Yes, let's keep on telling big companies that it's OKAY to install their particular brands of remotely-updated DRM and potential malware(it's all about trust, right?) instead of having them conform to Steam. There's plenty of room in systray yet!

Yeah. To each their own.

That's a different argument than "WAHHH MY 20MB OF MEMORY!" sooooo.

Also Steam itself is basically DRM so having them "conform" to it isn't saying much. I love Steam and I think Origin is a mediocre piece of shit that doesn't do much well but if you compare their base functions and protections, they are fairly equivalent.

Regardless, if people don't trust it then they don't have to install it, this is ten year old BF1942 we're talking about.

12. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 15:43 shihonage

Yeah. To each their own.

11. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 15:42 jdreyer

Sucks that the expansions aren't included. Those had some of the coolest vehicles.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 15:24 Verno

I always liked the rolling hills of Bocage, lots of great dog fighting there too.

Guadalcanal was excellent too. Hell, most of the stock maps were great. Road to Rome had some nice ones too. I bought Secret Weapons but no one seemed to play it

9. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 15:19 sauron

I still have all my BF1942 discs (including Secret Weapons of WWII). I remember trying the demo the night it came out and being totally blown away. BF42 Tobruk grenade spam ftmfw!*

*Wake Island was also good but I kept flying Japanese fighter planes into the ocean.

Kittens!

8. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 14:51 Verno

killer_roach wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 14:42:
shihonage wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 14:21:
So they are still trying to get people to run their Steam knock-off next to Steam in systray huh.

I am not buying any games that use Origin exclusively. Conserving system resources and the amount of DRM shit that constantly runs in background.

Did you know that Dragon Age installs its own Windows Service just to d/l Dragon Age DLCs?

Uninstalled that too. But it left the service behind.

If you're that worried about Origin's system resource usage, shut down Steam when playing an Origin game. (Origin uses less resources anyway.)

Also yeah the BF1943 PC debacle was fucking annoying

7. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 14:51 MajorD

And I'm still waiting for BF1943 to be on PC... but I guess this is cool...

Wait no maybe it's not - maybe I'm just falling for their ploy! I'm so confused!

LOL! That was funny.....Now I don't know what to do! Wink

6. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 14:42 killer_roach

shihonage wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 14:21:
So they are still trying to get people to run their Steam knock-off next to Steam in systray huh.

I am not buying any games that use Origin exclusively. Conserving system resources and the amount of DRM shit that constantly runs in background.

Did you know that Dragon Age installs its own Windows Service just to d/l Dragon Age DLCs?

If you're that worried about Origin's system resource usage, shut down Steam when playing an Origin game. (Origin uses less resources anyway.)

5. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 14:26 J

Now everybody can join in  

4. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 14:21 shihonage

3. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Nov 5, 2012, 14:15 jacobvandy

Don't throw away your discs yet...

players of the free version cannot play in the same games as owners of the original on-disc version

I'm guessing that might have something to do with serial code verification, as surely they must have cooked up many new ones for this Origin giveaway and they aren't in the same style as old-school EA games.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo