Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hawken's 10M Player Target

Developers Hawken are hoping to attract 10 million players when the free-to-play mech shooter launches next month, reports MCV. This hope is backed up by some cold, hard cash, as they add that the company has secured $18 million in funding to help make this happen. This presumably will involve a marketing campaign, though they could consider just sending everyone who plays $1.80.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. removed Nov 6, 2012, 01:14 Hoop

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 6, 2012, 08:16.

Um .. Behind you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: sad really... Nov 5, 2012, 23:48 Mordecai Walfish

bhcompy wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 17:07:
Shataan wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 10:36:
"Yeah, the whole mecha thing is cool, the graphics are decent... But playing it was like "just deathmatch? come on!"

The Mech visuals are very cool. Sweet incockpit view. But you play it, and all of a sudden being in a Mech is a moot point. Totally unrealistic arcade sidestrafe movements. The list goes on.

If they wanted to make a Quaker, why put everyone in a Mech????? Aaaah well, I am sure someone will dig that kinda thing.

Because you think the only game influences are MechWarrior and UltraBots. Realistically, the influences are Virtua-On and Armored Core.

Realistically the influences are Quake and Armored Core =P

22. Re: sad really... Nov 5, 2012, 21:00 ViRGE

bhcompy wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 17:07:
Because you think the only game influences are MechWarrior and UltraBots. Realistically, the influences are Virtua-On and Armored Core.
Ahh Virtua-On. I was terrible at it, but there are few arcade cabinets I had more fun with (read: lost more quarters on) than that game.

21. Re: sad really... Nov 5, 2012, 17:07 bhcompy

Shataan wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 10:36:
"Yeah, the whole mecha thing is cool, the graphics are decent... But playing it was like "just deathmatch? come on!"

The Mech visuals are very cool. Sweet incockpit view. But you play it, and all of a sudden being in a Mech is a moot point. Totally unrealistic arcade sidestrafe movements. The list goes on.

If they wanted to make a Quaker, why put everyone in a Mech????? Aaaah well, I am sure someone will dig that kinda thing.

20. Re: Hawken's 10M Player Target Nov 5, 2012, 15:46 jdreyer

If they put in a gold farming mechanic, they could probably get close to 10M.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Hawken's 10M Player Target Nov 5, 2012, 15:06 LittleMe

Doesn't setting a high goal like this just create an antagonistic relationship between them and the players? And doesn't it make the players feel more like a number than a valued customer or participant? My knowing this number makes playing the game feel more like an act of charity.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

18. Re: Hawken's 10M Player Target Nov 5, 2012, 12:28 Jerykk

10 million is a bit unrealistic for a mech game. I'm guessing Hawken is getting all these investments because it looks pretty.  

17. Re: Hawken's 10M Player Target Nov 5, 2012, 12:02 gradbot

My guess is that they max out at about 100k. Also how is an extra 18 million in venture funding anything like Minecraft?  

16. Re: sad really... Nov 5, 2012, 11:51 Warskull

Fantaz wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 11:02:
I can't believe how over-ambitious these indie guys think they are... This doesn't look like the next Minecraft...

It is a good game, fun to play. The combat is solid. That's the core you need for a successful competitive game. However, 10 million is a pretty astronomical number. You need a lot of luck to get that far.

Riot Games or Blizzard probably couldn't replicate the success of LoL and WoW, even with all the extra money they got from their success.

I suspect this may be just telling investors what they want to hear.

15. Re: sad really... Nov 5, 2012, 11:02 Darks

9999999 people, I will not be playing this crappy pvp only game.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

14. Re: sad really... Nov 5, 2012, 11:02 Fantaz

I can't believe how over-ambitious these indie guys think they are... This doesn't look like the next Minecraft...  

13. Re: sad really... Nov 5, 2012, 10:50 PHJF

Because mechs are cool and they open up new/interesting level designs... that the Hawken team failed totally to take advantage of. Maps are just stupid killboxes with no strategic layout.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. sad really... Nov 5, 2012, 10:36 Shataan

11. Re: Hawken's 10M Player Target Nov 5, 2012, 10:33 Bet

Their target is Asia, then.  

10. Re: Hawken's 10M PLayer Target Nov 5, 2012, 10:06 Omni

nin wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 09:18:
Omni wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 09:16:
10M ?
and pigs can fly.

Yeah, it's good to aim for the stars and everything, but 10M? Really?

Its like that pre-order "Afterfall insanity" did 10M pre-orders and get for $1.

How many games have 10M players active in them nowadays WoW or LoL and then they think 10M players to a death match mech game.
It will be fun to see how many end up playing Hawken properly not more than 1M.

9. Re: Hawken's 10M Player Target Nov 5, 2012, 09:38 RailWizard

I keep hoping a box of money falls on me too....  

8. Re: Hawken's 10M PLayer Target Nov 5, 2012, 09:38 Cutter

Armengar wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 09:20:
Having been in the beta a while I can say its good but not 10M good. Maybe 100k+ good

I was just going to say, if they can even get 100k regular users I'll be amazed. These guys have been doing way too much product with their backers money if they believe this is going to be anything either than a niche game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Hawken's 10M PLayer Target Nov 5, 2012, 09:20 Armengar

Having been in the beta a while I can say its good but not 10M good. Maybe 100k+ good  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

6. Re: Hawken's 10M PLayer Target Nov 5, 2012, 09:18 nin

Omni wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 09:16:
10M ?
and pigs can fly.

Yeah, it's good to aim for the stars and everything, but 10M? Really?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: Hawken's 10M PLayer Target Nov 5, 2012, 09:16 Omni

10M ?
and pigs can fly.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo