Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. removed Nov 6, 2012, 01:15 Hoop

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 6, 2012, 08:16.

Um .. Behind you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 23:32 Orogogus

NewMaxx wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 20:19:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 12:29:
Doesn't really matter much. Publishers just auto ignore console piracy anyways.

If that were true then MS wouldn't be banning modded consoles. Otherwise they could still be collecting revenue from Xbox Live and DLC from those people. And I think Sony followed suit at some point, although I'm not sure if they still do.

He said publishers, which while true of Microsoft and Sony, would only apply to the games they publish. Microsoft bans modded consoles because it hurts their bottom line, it's hardly a simple matter of lost sales but lost licensing fees, goodwill, etc., on the old accounting spreadsheet. When third party publishing is your lifeblood, you tend to take other factors into consideration.

The goodwill you refer to is why I connected MS and Sony to publishers. Microsoft and Sony have less to lose than the publishers from console piracy, and pressure to ban modded consoles has to be coming from the publishers, either directly or indirectly. If the publishers didn't care, then it's hard to imagine MS and Sony being so proactive in cutting off revenue streams.

And that said, it's hard to imagine what people chest-beating about perceived inaction regarding console piracy are thinking. Publishers aren't going to start putting DRM on console discs. A console game that can't surmount the piracy overhead probably won't get publishing money in the first place.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 20:19 NewMaxx

Orogogus wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 16:56:

If that were true then MS wouldn't be banning modded consoles. Otherwise they could still be collecting revenue from Xbox Live and DLC from those people. And I think Sony followed suit at some point, although I'm not sure if they still do.

He said publishers, which while true of Microsoft and Sony, would only apply to the games they publish. Microsoft bans modded consoles because it hurts their bottom line, it's hardly a simple matter of lost sales but lost licensing fees, goodwill, etc., on the old accounting spreadsheet. When third party publishing is your lifeblood, you tend to take other factors into consideration.

The publishers "ignore" it because they rely on the console maker and network provider (XBox Live) to provide the DRM, just like many PC publishers rely on Steam. Keep in mind this plays into the reality that consoles have SDK's and communication between developer and platform designer, which both lowers costs and decreases the need for PC-like DRM.

While it is true Sony is more aggressive, that's only because they are also a media company and brought out Blu-Ray. They're under even greater pressure to provide a tight ship. Video games on console, therefore, exist in a different type of ecosystem. It's like comparing a federation (the US, where states rely on the Federal for things like army protection) to a confederation (the EU, where each state fends for itself but under agreed rules).

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 16:56 Orogogus

Darks wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 12:22:
Just assholes trying to make the pc out as the issue as always.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 16:43 JayDeath

I hope it's not 2006 all over again where you couldn't find a unit after release.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 13:37 Bhruic

That is a bullshit lie, there are no torrents for the pc out.

Of course there are. There just aren't real torrents out. Fakes always precede a big release.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 12:29 SpectralMeat

Just assholes trying to make the pc out as the issue as always.

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 12:22 Darks

Its news worthy because they are trying to pin piracy on the pc. They said that this game was already released on torrent for the pc. That is a bullshit lie, there are no torrents for the pc out. Just assholes trying to make the pc out as the issue as always.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 10:57 Fantaz

ViRGE wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 09:33:
Doesn't this happen before every major console game release? Since they don't have activation DRM like PCs, it gets swiped in transit to retailers every time. I'd be more surprised if it wasn't leaked early.

Yeah, I don't know why this is news worthy...

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 5, 2012, 09:33 ViRGE

Doesn't this happen before every major console game release? Since they don't have activation DRM like PCs, it gets swiped in transit to retailers every time. I'd be more surprised if it wasn't leaked early.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo