Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well now that things are getting back to normal here, it's clearer to us just how badly the superstorm impacted other nearby areas as this has left a lot of families without homes, much less electricity, with wintery temperatures on the way to exacerbate things. As is often the case, seeing the power of the forces of nature can be a humbling reminder of how much of the idea that mankind has mastered our environment is an illusion.

Illusory Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Portals
Stories: Boeing Dreamliner makes U.S. debut Sunday morning. Thanks Slashdot.
Images: New York Magazine Cover Featuring Incredible Photo of Blackout in Lower Manhattan.
Media: Jimmy Kimmel - YouTube Challenge - Halloween Candy.
Most Hilarious Chili Challenge I've Ever Seen. NSFW.
Is It Possible Pop A Wheelie On A Moped With 4 Passengers?
The Funnies: FoxTrot.
Follow-up: New York Neighborhood Celebrates as Power Comes Back On.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 08:40 nin

Rigs wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 05:06:
PHJF wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 09:00:
the War on Terrorism is over

Where the hell did you hear that???

Oh, sorry...here, let me fix that for ya...

"...the War on Terrorism is a lie..."

Better?

=-Rigs-=

Much. Security Theater, they call it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 05:06 Rigs

PHJF wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 09:00:

Oh, sorry...here, let me fix that for ya...

"...the War on Terrorism is a lie..."

Better?

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2012, 09:00 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2012, 08:29 Bet

Hey look everyone, a fancy giant plane is finally in the skies!

Someone wake up Howard Hughes. I think he'd like to see this. Just don't let him bite you.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2012, 00:05 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 22:43:
None of that will ever happen, Rigs. You'd have to have a government and a people that can actually agree to bi-partisanship. I see the north and south seceding before that ever happens.

That's a unique way of putting it..lol...but that's what's wrong. It's like nothing can ever get done in this country unless it's dragged kicking and screaming, or there's some kind of conflict involved. So, if that's the case, I say declare hurricanes a threat to national security. The War On Drugs is over, the War on Terrorism is over, now we have a the Tropical Cyclone War...you see how stupid that sounds? It mirrors how stupid it is that we have to declare something a mortal enemy in order to deal with it effectively. (well, try to deal with it effectively, as the war on drugs and terrorism has been anything but effective...unless your Osama Bin Laden)...

Seriously, money should not be an object that stands in the way of protecting our biggest cities and culture. If we can give the banks $750 billion and countries that hate our guts billions to leave us alone, then we sure as hell can spend it to protect ourselves at home...Why is everyone reluctant to change for the better?

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 22:57 Mr. Tact

I don't want to be too harsh on people in crisis due to a natural disaster. So, if they weren't in a mandatory evacuation zone and they were seeing/getting conflicting information on the severity of the storm, then yes -- there is reason for mitigation of any culpability of needing a rescue.

Though I have to say, from the coverage I saw, it was clear pretty early on that a storm surge causing major damage in the NJ/NY area was a likely possibility.

For anyone who was in a mandatory evacuation zone and thought they were smarter than the authorities, my level of sympathy is greatly reduced.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 22:43 Cutter

None of that will ever happen, Rigs. You'd have to have a government and a people that can actually agree to bi-partisanship. I see the north and south seceding before that ever happens.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 22:20 Rigs

nin wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 22:10:
Will it need trillions? Then so be it. Pull it from foreign aid our military!

Fixed.

I was trying to stay out of the snipers crosshairs...at least for a little while...

=-Rigs-=

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 22:10 nin

Will it need trillions? Then so be it. Pull it from foreign aid our military!

Fixed.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 22:06 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 21:37:
Perhaps a nice thought, but a thought that has neither foot in reality. We need trillions, yes trillions with a 't', of dollars to repair or replace existing infrastructure. That's prior to building additional flood control systems for coastal areas. As far as an early warning and detection network goes, we had plenty of warning.

And how about some personal responsibility? Part of the problem was people ignoring mandatory evacuation notices. If my neighborhood was in danger of getting wiped off the map, assuming I get a 7 day warning, I could and probably would be 500 miles away in an extended stay hotel by the time the storm hit.

People didn't evacuate because they watched the news and the news told them that this storm was only a minor Cat 1 hurricane (if that) and according to that, they'd only get some rain and a little wind. It told them nothing of the storm surge, nor were officials able to convince them otherwise. When people see a speeding train coming for their car, they get out of the car. They needed to know that this storm wasn't a little rain shower but a speeding train.

Yes, it was forecast and early warning was given, but not to the right area and not fast enough. I'm not talking, 'Oh, look it might hit the mid-atlantic', I'm talking, 'As the storm makes it's way inland on the southern Atlantic coast of NJ, winds and storm surge are going to impact Staten Island and southern Manhattan. Staten Island will be the hardest hit as it sits exposed to the most powerful part of the storm'...that's what I mean by early warning. You think then people would think twice about staying?

Will it need trillions? Then so be it. Pull it from foreign aid! Get it from the international community. We've helped them, now they help us! Do what is necessary and it can become reality. The only reason it isn't is because you think it shouldn't (not 'you' but people in general)...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2012, 22:22.

11. Re: Kind of finally have power Nov 4, 2012, 21:46 nin

I fell bad for ya, kanniballl, as well as for everyone else effected by the hurricane. Hope things get better for ya soon!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 21:37 Mr. Tact

Perhaps a nice thought, but a thought that has neither foot in reality. We need trillions, yes trillions with a 't', of dollars to repair or replace existing infrastructure. That's prior to building additional flood control systems for coastal areas. As far as an early warning and detection network goes, we had plenty of warning.

And how about some personal responsibility? Part of the problem was people ignoring mandatory evacuation notices. If my neighborhood was in danger of getting wiped off the map, assuming I get a 7 day warning, I could and probably would be 500 miles away in an extended stay hotel by the time the storm hit.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 21:23 Rigs

I can't understand how many times this country has to go through disasters, one after another it seems, before it finally takes the money out of the something like, oh I dunno, Middle Eastern foreign aid, and puts it toward preparing this nation for the next Katrina/Sandy/earthquake /tsunami/super-volcano /terroristNBCAttack/CanadianSyrupInvasion/AlienFirstContact /solarCME/GammaRayBurst/AsteroidImpact/zombieApocalypse...The first thing that should be done is the establishment of regional stockpiles of critical products like food, water, blankets/clothes, gas, etc. So what if it sits there for years? At least it will be there when it's needed. Plans need to be enacted, like evacuation routes are now, to streamline what is done when each certain disaster occurs - ie. setup of gas pumping stations at 30 mile intervals, one for officials, one for public. A 'one-stop-shop' where all information is funneled and dispersed so people can come to the offices or call to get the very latest information and not rely on rumors or speculation. We have Twitter, Facebook, the internet and smartphones, company and government networks - USE THEM! Use the social security numbers and driver's license database to setup an official 'call-in' center. After a disaster hits your area, you call in and either dial in a PIN number or text message a PIN to show you are ok or need this or that. This info (not the SS#'s themselves) goes to the aid workers and your family/friends can call in to get updates or go online to see if you've checked in and/or need anything.

NEXT! The nations power grid needs to be modernized and BURIED! Put those bad boys underground! I don't understand WHY this hasn't been done yet?! What's the first thing to go in a storm? The power. Why? Because a line or pole gets knocked. Ok, well where can you put it that it doesn't get affected by wind, rain or snow? Underground! Hell, build whole passageways so if there IS a problem underground, you only need to open the access door/hatch and go down the access tube/hallway. Build real 'Jefferies Tubes' underground! Then harden and protect the lines with realtime monitoring and 24/7 on-call support and constant maintenance. Stop trying to put a bandaid on a corpse! It's going to all collapse if it's not overhauled! Plus this might mitigate a possible Sun burst or EMI pulse attack.

THEN! Setup staging areas where the National Guard and certified contractors meetup, get the sitrep and fan out to start recovery efforts. The chain of command is known to ALL individuals and every one knows who's in charge of what and what the procedures are.

Before any of this, it's time to put money into a early warning and detection network in the ocean. Setup hardened structures/buoys at set intervals out from certain spots to give clear information on approaching storms. I'm talking hundreds of these things, linked both by cable and wireless by satellite. These 'buoys' would extend out in a semi-circle from say Cape Hatteras, NC, having a comma shaped line of them at 50 miles, 100, 200, 300, 400...etc, then another set further south in the Caribbean. Then another set headed west from Tampa, FL and south from New Orleans and east from Galveston. In addition to hurricane hunter planes and remote controlled surface/sub surface drones, these buoys would give a real-time look at the conditions there, with real time video, so they can see how the conditions are at sea level. This would coincide with a change to the scale at which tropical storms and hurricanes are labeled as. Instead of the Saffir-Simpson scale, a new way would be developed to give a clearer vision to ordinary citizens of the dangers a particular storm would present. Currently, only the wind is taken into account. As we've all seen, that's rarely the only thing to cause damage and destruction. This new scale would show what kind of potential a storm could have of causing floods, wind damage, storm surge, tornadoes, coastal erosion/pier damage/boat and dock damage...AND it would be tailored to each area based on time of year, storm path, storm history, the area geological layout and population density...

This can be and HAS to be done or we will suffer these disasters over and over again, sitting, asking ourselves why we have to endure it. We don't have to. We have the means, we only need the will. It shouldn't take war or the threat of war or a terrorist attack to get us to make a fundamental shift in our response to disasters.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. What we're doing now isn't working! It needs to change!

=-Rigs-=

8. Kind of finally have power Nov 4, 2012, 19:31 kanniballl

My parents got power back on Saturday night over here in NJ... so at least I can crash somewhere that has lights and HEAT.

Unfortunately my condo is still dark, and latest word is it will stay that way until Wednesday. So, sucks for me I guess. But I didn't have any damage at my place so I guess that counts for something.

What's REALLY annoying is getting gas... this is turning into a real cluster****

In my town, the lines go on for miles. I waited in line for 3 hours for NOTHING. The station had power and plenty of gas, but the owner couldn't get anyone to come in to man the pumps and said "Oh well, sucks for all of you." (Note: NJ requires employees to fill your tanks, unlike most of the country).

But at least I played it smart and made sure my battery didn't die... others weren't as prepared and got stuck with a dead battery and almost no gas.

I eventually rolled the dice and drove 25 miles away to find gas in Flemington when I only had about maybe 35 miles left in my tank. Fortunately lady luck shined on me. Otherwise I didn't have enough to get home without asking a co-worker to meet me with a gas can.

Sigh I'm hoping my condo gets power soon. I love my folks, but after almost a week with them I'm starting to lose my cool.

-

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2012, 19:37.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 19:24 xXBatmanXx

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 15:34:
I'd tend to agree with Farnsworth. It's not that we aren't physically or technologically able to "master our environment," it's that we're too lazy and cheap to make it happen. Packing millions of people onto a tiny island on the east coast is actually a really stupid move, but if you really wanted to build a hurricane shield around it, or at least make the infrastructure bulletproof, you could. I'm just wondering how many of these "disasters" it will take before you crazy New Yorkahs come to your senses.

Yup. Coastal states are prone to flood. Build the correct infrastructure to protect yourself. but but but! It won't be pretty! Nope it won't. And you get what you have all around the globe with flooding on coastal states.

You live on an island - own it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 18:32 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 15:34:
I'd tend to agree with Farnsworth. It's not that we aren't physically or technologically able to "master our environment," it's that we're too lazy and cheap to make it happen. Packing millions of people onto a tiny island on the east coast is actually a really stupid move, but if you really wanted to build a hurricane shield around it, or at least make the infrastructure bulletproof, you could. I'm just wondering how many of these "disasters" it will take before you crazy New Yorkahs come to your senses.

Dewd, the last time they saw anything this bad was 1883. I think risking it is pretty safe. Way safer than Cali by comparison.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 17:48 mag

The weekly refrain:

DAMMIT BENGALS!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 16:00 Wallshadows

Decided to give Planetside 2 beta a whirl and it was pretty fun. I manned an anti-aircraft turret, scored some pretty awesome kills and got to BR 3 before we, Terran Republic, were overwhelmed on The Ascent. Most of the defenders either logged or moved to another location and then all of the sudden, two fully-loaded Galaxy-class drop ships appear out of nowhere followed by a handful of Liberators and they just leveled the whole area in about three seconds. Their troops mopped up the rest holding out in the complex.

Also, I saw what could have been a one-in-a-million kill where an enemy drop-pod destroyed a Mosquito as it was falling. It was pretty amazing and I laughed pretty hard but not as hard as watching new players try to fly. I swear, all over the starting Warp zone, there were Mosquitos tipped over...

I think I'll sink the $40 in to it for that Alpha Squad promo.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 15:34 jacobvandy

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2012, 14:47 PHJF

We think we're so smart and tough, and all it takes it some wind and rain to remind us how fragile we are.

No, more like how awful our housing and infrastructure are.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo