Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Roberts on PC Star Citizen

An interview on Ars Technica talks with Chris Roberts about Star Citizen, his upcoming space simulation. Here's part focusing on how he looks to up the ante on PC gaming in a way that consoles cannot:

The main reason, Roberts says, is memory capacity. "You canít do that much with 512MB [of RAM on a console], so that constrains a lot of your game design. If Iím building a PC game, Iím going 'Yeah, you need 4GB on your machine.' Of course youíre not going to get all 4GB because Windows is a hungry beast, but youíre getting a lot more than 512MB so it kinds of open up what you can do, what you can fit in memory at the same time, and it changes your level of ambition."

Four gigabytes of RAM might sound like a lot, but keep in mind that Star Citizen isn't set to see a final release for another two years. "Iím looking at the high-end [hardware] today being the 'Normal Gamer' level in two years time," he said. "It'll be kind of like Wing Commander used to be. If you had the extra memory, if you had the 386, it was a better experience, but you could still play it on a 286."

Roberts added that he hopes Star Citizen proves that a high-end PC is good for more than warmed-over ports of games made for the consoles. "I have a high-end gaming rig, but Iíve also got all the consoles, and if someone is making a game for a console first, and itís being ported to the PC, Iím always buying it for the console. I donít want a buggy port of a console game on my PC that doesnít really show my PC off."

View
5. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 17:16 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 17:00:
It's very exciting to be trying to use newer tech to build better experiences.

The Hornet, for example, can have a turret mounted in it, that turret can be locked to your pilots view so while you're turning in a dogfight and the nose of your ship is coming around you can be looking up aiming your turret and shredding some poor bastard while he's struggling to get guns on you. Add an Oculus Rift into that so you can just look freely anywhere you want and I'm spending lots of money!

It's nice to see someone willing to bet big on a PC game like this. Chris echoed my feelings in one of his speechs, he said that he often buys games on consoles because that is what they're made for. They make a pc version but everyone knows that the experience is intended for the console.

I'm very excited to see how using a complicated flight system and oculus rift is going to be in the game compared to using a keyboard and mouse or a controller. I would guess you'd need to tweak things to make each setup be fun so I'm wondering if there is going to be 3rd person view controls that people with controllers might like and maybe cursor follow controls for mouse and keyboard? It's all very cool to think about trying to make each way fun to play.

Depending on the support, you can get vision tracking already without an oculus rift. They make head-tracking IR hardware that works pretty damn well. It's apparently considered more or less must-have for the hardcore flight sim folks out there.

And moreso than a VR headset (which requires that I memorize, by touch, every function control which would be a nightmare in anything moderately complicated, I'd love to see some real support for using phones and tablets as MFDs.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Nov 3, 16:34 Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen NKD
  2. Nov 3, 16:46  Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Jerykk
  6. Nov 3, 17:17   Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen spindoctor
  8. Nov 3, 18:00    Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Wildone
  9. Nov 3, 18:59   Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen RaZ0r!
  10. Nov 3, 20:20    Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Slashman
  20. Nov 4, 06:00     Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Mangrove
  21. Nov 4, 06:17      Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Numinar
  22. Nov 4, 07:02       Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen PsychoMoggieBagpuss
  23. Nov 4, 07:46        Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Reactor
  3. Nov 3, 16:52  Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Cutter
  19. Nov 4, 03:55   Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen eRe4s3r
  18. Nov 4, 01:45  Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen El Pit
  4. Nov 3, 17:00 Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Tumbler
>> 5. Nov 3, 17:16  Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Flatline
  7. Nov 3, 17:59  Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Jerykk
  11. Nov 3, 20:21 Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Creston