Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Roberts on PC Star Citizen

An interview on Ars Technica talks with Chris Roberts about Star Citizen, his upcoming space simulation. Here's part focusing on how he looks to up the ante on PC gaming in a way that consoles cannot:

The main reason, Roberts says, is memory capacity. "You canít do that much with 512MB [of RAM on a console], so that constrains a lot of your game design. If Iím building a PC game, Iím going 'Yeah, you need 4GB on your machine.' Of course youíre not going to get all 4GB because Windows is a hungry beast, but youíre getting a lot more than 512MB so it kinds of open up what you can do, what you can fit in memory at the same time, and it changes your level of ambition."

Four gigabytes of RAM might sound like a lot, but keep in mind that Star Citizen isn't set to see a final release for another two years. "Iím looking at the high-end [hardware] today being the 'Normal Gamer' level in two years time," he said. "It'll be kind of like Wing Commander used to be. If you had the extra memory, if you had the 386, it was a better experience, but you could still play it on a 286."

Roberts added that he hopes Star Citizen proves that a high-end PC is good for more than warmed-over ports of games made for the consoles. "I have a high-end gaming rig, but Iíve also got all the consoles, and if someone is making a game for a console first, and itís being ported to the PC, Iím always buying it for the console. I donít want a buggy port of a console game on my PC that doesnít really show my PC off."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 21:55 Cram

Cutter wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 20:57:
So then he's beholden to whoever is giving him the 10 million. How is that a good thing? This is why I said I don't like him doing a KS because he's just using it to prove to a publisher that it's viable, and he really isn't beholden to the KS backers - which he should be. That's why I'm not backing this.

I am/was unaware a major investor may be involved in this way and if this is true I am cancelling my pledge. Gonna read up a bit, if this is the situation I am out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 20:57 Cutter

So then he's beholden to whoever is giving him the 10 million. How is that a good thing? This is why I said I don't like him doing a KS because he's just using it to prove to a publisher that it's viable, and he really isn't beholden to the KS backers - which he should be. That's why I'm not backing this.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 20:21 Creston

Btw, apparently Roberts needed the 2 million in funding to guarantee 10 million from an investor, to demonstrate that people really want a game like this. (I read that in an interview he did with RPS.)

So if that's all correct, he currently has 12 million bucks to build a game with. That ain't too shabby.

I REALLY hope this will be awesome.

Creston

10. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 20:20 Slashman

RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 18:59:
I don't buy console versions because I don't own any consoles. While there is a little cross-over nowadays with PC, generally the games I want to play are not on console. They are on PC. So I don't invest in console.

If games die on PC (and I mean any personal computers and or operating systems) I won't be moving to console. I'll probably just go outside and stuff then.

what the...? Go outside? What the hell is WRONG with you????!!!!??

9. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 18:59 RaZ0r!

I don't buy console versions because I don't own any consoles. While there is a little cross-over nowadays with PC, generally the games I want to play are not on console. They are on PC. So I don't invest in console.

If games die on PC (and I mean any personal computers and or operating systems) I won't be moving to console. I'll probably just go outside and stuff then.

8. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 18:00 Wildone

Lots of sims use TRACKIR for head movement, no problem. I expect it to be supported on launch.

As for consoles, I just dont wanna hear talk about it. They had the industry for the past decade now they go fuck off while we get a real space sim. GO FUCK OFF.

7. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 17:59 Jerykk

It's nice to see someone willing to bet big on a PC game like this. Chris echoed my feelings in one of his speechs, he said that he often buys games on consoles because that is what they're made for. They make a pc version but everyone knows that the experience is intended for the console.

Again, where's the logic in this? It's not like you're getting a different game on PC. The game is the same, only it looks and runs a lot better. If you want the couch experience, hook up your PC to your TV and plug in a gamepad. Voila, you now have the superior version of the console experience.

The whole "the experience was intended for console" logic is retarded. If you want more PC-exclusives, you need to buy more PC games and less console games. To complain about ports and then promote the console versions of multiplatform games is just idiotic.

6. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 17:17 spindoctor

Jerykk wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 16:46:
Stupid logic. Most ports are not buggier than their console equivalents. In addition, most ports look and run better than their console equivalents AND are cheaper. Given these facts, why would you ever buy the console versions of multiplatform games? On top of all that, if you want more games designed specifically for PC, why would you buy console games? Stupid.

My thoughts exactly. There are almost no cases in which the PC port of a game offers an inferior experience (unless the developer fucks up monumentally).

Also, by the time this guy's game comes out, the next generation of consoles will also be out and they won't have 512 megs of RAM. Five bucks says he will try to port it to those consoles as well if it's possible. He's just saying the right things right now to get people to contribute to the Kickstarter.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

5. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 17:16 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 17:00:
It's very exciting to be trying to use newer tech to build better experiences.

The Hornet, for example, can have a turret mounted in it, that turret can be locked to your pilots view so while you're turning in a dogfight and the nose of your ship is coming around you can be looking up aiming your turret and shredding some poor bastard while he's struggling to get guns on you. Add an Oculus Rift into that so you can just look freely anywhere you want and I'm spending lots of money!

It's nice to see someone willing to bet big on a PC game like this. Chris echoed my feelings in one of his speechs, he said that he often buys games on consoles because that is what they're made for. They make a pc version but everyone knows that the experience is intended for the console.

I'm very excited to see how using a complicated flight system and oculus rift is going to be in the game compared to using a keyboard and mouse or a controller. I would guess you'd need to tweak things to make each setup be fun so I'm wondering if there is going to be 3rd person view controls that people with controllers might like and maybe cursor follow controls for mouse and keyboard? It's all very cool to think about trying to make each way fun to play.

Depending on the support, you can get vision tracking already without an oculus rift. They make head-tracking IR hardware that works pretty damn well. It's apparently considered more or less must-have for the hardcore flight sim folks out there.

And moreso than a VR headset (which requires that I memorize, by touch, every function control which would be a nightmare in anything moderately complicated, I'd love to see some real support for using phones and tablets as MFDs.

4. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 17:00 Tumbler

It's very exciting to be trying to use newer tech to build better experiences.

The Hornet, for example, can have a turret mounted in it, that turret can be locked to your pilots view so while you're turning in a dogfight and the nose of your ship is coming around you can be looking up aiming your turret and shredding some poor bastard while he's struggling to get guns on you. Add an Oculus Rift into that so you can just look freely anywhere you want and I'm spending lots of money!

I'm very excited to see how using a complicated flight system and oculus rift is going to be in the game compared to using a keyboard and mouse or a controller. I would guess you'd need to tweak things to make each setup be fun so I'm wondering if there is going to be 3rd person view controls that people with controllers might like and maybe cursor follow controls for mouse and keyboard? It's all very cool to think about trying to make each way fun to play.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 16:52 Cutter

NKD wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 16:34:
4 gigs of RAM really isn't a lot. RAM is so cheap right now. I put 16GB in my machine without even thinking twice. I'd love a game that would let me use it.

How about taking advantage of 64 bit OS'? Still waiting for that to be the norm. Anyway, I like his attitude on this but I still don't trust him.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 16:46 Jerykk

"I have a high-end gaming rig, but Iíve also got all the consoles, and if someone is making a game for a console first, and itís being ported to the PC, Iím always buying it for the console. I donít want a buggy port of a console game on my PC that doesnít really show my PC off."

Stupid logic. Most ports are not buggier than their console equivalents. In addition, most ports look and run better than their console equivalents AND are cheaper. Given these facts, why would you ever buy the console versions of multiplatform games? On top of all that, if you want more games designed specifically for PC, why would you buy console games? Stupid.

1. Re: Roberts on PC Star Citizen Nov 3, 2012, 16:34 NKD

4 gigs of RAM really isn't a lot. RAM is so cheap right now. I put 16GB in my machine without even thinking twice. I'd love a game that would let me use it.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo