Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased

GuildWars2.com has a tease for "The Lost Shores," an update coming to Guild Wars 2 later this month. There are just a few screenshots, and the following dramatic tease: "Something stirs in the Sea of Sorrows… Unravel a mystery of monstrous proportions in The Lost Shores, a massive one-time world event that will change Tyria forever!" Thanks sauron.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 6, 2012, 14:39 Flatline

Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 20:28:
Btw, I understand cooking, but all the other crafting disciplines are a complete mystery to me. Can someone explain (or link to) how to get a crafting discipline going? I typically can get something to rank 50 or so, and then I've got nothing left to build that gives xp, and everything I check in my discovery pane is all for higher level crafters. Confused Sad Cry

Creston

I had that problem too back before they adjusted the drop rates and I went 20 levels with only like 8 vials of weak blood.

Basically, you refine your basic mats for that tier, then you gen 4 or 6 or 8 of each kind of enchantment/mod/sigil/whatever. Then for say Armor you craft 8 sets of shoulders, 8 sets of chest pieces, 8 sets of gloves, etc... Then you go into the discovery panel and start building out permutations of armor. Your crafting will skyrocket.

Also, in the discovery panel, you can drop an item in, and it'll grey out any incompatible items for recipes.

Eventually, at around 75, you'll unlock major sigils/enchantments/whatever they're called, which take like 8 vials of thin blood per, and that'll help left you up to 125, where the process starts over again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 4, 2012, 13:18 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 23:26:
Btw, I understand cooking, but all the other crafting disciplines are a complete mystery to me. Can someone explain (or link to) how to get a crafting discipline going? I typically can get something to rank 50 or so, and then I've got nothing left to build that gives xp, and everything I check in my discovery pane is all for higher level crafters. Confused Sad Cry

Creston

That's weird don't think I've had that issue. Are you sure you've discovered every combo in a material level before moving on (like going from copper goods to silver)? By the time I've discovered everything I've levelled up more than high enough for the next crafting group. I don't ever grind items for XP, its all purely discovery mode.

This is an updated version of the video I used to learn how to level crafting when the game launched.

I think I have, but I could easily be wrong. I really don't "get" crafting, so I've basically ignored it so far, but when I realized my thief could go from level 67 to 75 in the space of ~45 mins, I was like, errrr... I'm missing out on a fuckload of easy XP.

Thanks for the video link, I'll go watch that now.

Creston

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 4, 2012, 13:16 Creston

Fion wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 21:19:
Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 20:25:

You kill everything in basically 1 or 2 shots, are never in danger, there's a billion events going on, and every day with the dailies you get like 120K xp. (plus 4500 karma!!) Nine days later she was 80, and every day took me like 30 mins or so.

Playing an elementalist again, hopefully the class will sit better with me this time around.

Creston

By dailies I assume you mean the Daily Achievement, if not what dailies are you talking about lol. I do my daily achieve in Queensdale myself often because its really easy to get it inside an hour. Do note if you save several of the jugs of karma and use a Karma Booster when you 'drink' them, you get 6.7k a pop instead of 4.5k. I've gained 30k karma in the last week (and I've missed a few days)! It's awesome!

Oh and on the Ele, still need work but was buffed a bit here and there. D/D in particular the lightning whip got buffed pretty big.

Yeah, I meant daily achievements. I just call them dailies.

I didn't know about the karma booster working on the jugs, woot! Thanks for that tip

(I'm sure they'll patch that soon, bastards...)

Creston

33. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 4, 2012, 00:14 Agent.X7

sauron wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 23:37:
I'm having trouble putting GW2 down, best game I've played in ages. Have been trying out the dungeons, WvWvW, crafting, events, all of them great.

Regarding updates, there are several places in the game world where there are gates to new places that are currently shut. One of the places is in SE Lions Arch, where there is an area with 6 Asuran Gates that right now are under construction. Where they will eventually link to is anyone's guess.

I get the feeling the dev team is looking long-term.

Hopefully Elona and Cantha.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32. Re: More Big Picture Details Nov 3, 2012, 23:37 sauron

I'm having trouble putting GW2 down, best game I've played in ages. Have been trying out the dungeons, WvWvW, crafting, events, all of them great.

Regarding updates, there are several places in the game world where there are gates to new places that are currently shut. One of the places is in SE Lions Arch, where there is an area with 6 Asuran Gates that right now are under construction. Where they will eventually link to is anyone's guess.

I get the feeling the dev team is looking long-term.

Kittens!

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 23:26 NegaDeath

Creston

That's weird don't think I've had that issue. Are you sure you've discovered every combo in a material level before moving on (like going from copper goods to silver)? By the time I've discovered everything I've levelled up more than high enough for the next crafting group. I don't ever grind items for XP, its all purely discovery mode.

This is an updated version of the video I used to learn how to level crafting when the game launched.

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 22:01 Agent.X7

Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 14:13:
If the TP keeps you from enjoying a game, you're probably doing it wrong.

Creston, how do you have 2 80s? I thought I was playing the game a lot, but my main isn't even 80 yet (69, I think) and my alts aren't even close. (Only one is 30, the rest are all sub 20) Guess I'm not playing as much as I thought.

The funny thing is that I have 2 80s, but a grand total of 3 gold... :\
I also have a 20 something and a 10 something.

I've probably played around 300 hours, but the big thing is to just log in and get the daily achievements every day. I had left my thief at 65 and went to play my Guardian, then decided to get my thief to 80 as well.

I got her from 67 to 75 by mastering cooking, and then the last five levels I just did dailies in Queensdale. You kill everything in basically 1 or 2 shots, are never in danger, there's a billion events going on, and every day with the dailies you get like 120K xp. (plus 4500 karma!!) Nine days later she was 80, and every day took me like 30 mins or so.

Playing an elementalist again, hopefully the class will sit better with me this time around.

Creston

Yeah, I spend all my money on crafting supplies. I almost never get the daily achievement, because I get to play sporadically during the day, and then when I get home the daily is reset. I make it most fo the way, and then it gets reset again. Luckily, I did get the monthly for October. (Whole pile of Karma pots, whoo!)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 21:19 Fion

You kill everything in basically 1 or 2 shots, are never in danger, there's a billion events going on, and every day with the dailies you get like 120K xp. (plus 4500 karma!!) Nine days later she was 80, and every day took me like 30 mins or so.

Creston

By dailies I assume you mean the Daily Achievement, if not what dailies are you talking about lol. I do my daily achieve in Queensdale myself often because its really easy to get it inside an hour. Do note if you save several of the jugs of karma and use a Karma Booster when you 'drink' them, you get 6.7k a pop instead of 4.5k. I've gained 30k karma in the last week (and I've missed a few days)! It's awesome!

Oh and on the Ele, still need work but was buffed a bit here and there. D/D in particular the lightning whip got buffed pretty big.

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 20:28 Creston

Creston

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 20:25 Creston

Creston, how do you have 2 80s? I thought I was playing the game a lot, but my main isn't even 80 yet (69, I think) and my alts aren't even close. (Only one is 30, the rest are all sub 20) Guess I'm not playing as much as I thought.

The funny thing is that I have 2 80s, but a grand total of 3 gold... :\
I also have a 20 something and a 10 something.

I've probably played around 300 hours, but the big thing is to just log in and get the daily achievements every day. I had left my thief at 65 and went to play my Guardian, then decided to get my thief to 80 as well.

I got her from 67 to 75 by mastering cooking, and then the last five levels I just did dailies in Queensdale. You kill everything in basically 1 or 2 shots, are never in danger, there's a billion events going on, and every day with the dailies you get like 120K xp. (plus 4500 karma!!) Nine days later she was 80, and every day took me like 30 mins or so.

Creston

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 19:06 Agent.X7

Acleacius wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 18:03:

It didn't seem to difficult too, level to 80 in 30 days. Maybe your playing too many different toons at once or not doing enough events. There are approximately 3 zones for every 10 levels. After level 25 or so I started doing all 3 zones for a range (30 to 40). I'm still in the 65 to 70 zones at 78.90 level. So I still have about 6 full zones left. Plenty of XP.

I was being sarcastic. I work 60 hours a week, I have a 2 year old daughter, and I do a lot of other things besides playing GW2. It's not a big mystery to me why I haven't hit 80 yet.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 18:46 Agent.X7

Got an example, I really didn't say that and did actually say why it's an issue? If you've got something specific, I'd be glad to hear it.

What? Just....what?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 18:03 Acleacius

Got an example, I really didn't say that and did actually say why it's an issue? If you've got something specific, I'd be glad to hear it.

It didn't seem to difficult too, level to 80 in 30 days. Maybe your playing too many different toons at once or not doing enough events. There are approximately 3 zones for every 10 levels. After level 25 or so I started doing all 3 zones for a range (30 to 40). I'm still in the 65 to 70 zones at 78.90 level. So I still have about 6 full zones left. Plenty of XP.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 16:49 Agent.X7

Ahhhh, so cool with the new FoV! Thanks for pointing that out, I missed it.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 14:36 OpticNerve

Crafting helps a lot. It gives a TON of exp and can make getting to 80 that much quicker. It's especially great with alts if you pick a crafting profession in which you had a ton of saved up crafting materials from a main toon (ie. cooking materials).

As for the Halloween event, overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. There was almost something for everyone and I can see Arenanet working up an expanded Rumble-like pvp mode in the future. It also showed off some of the neat things Arenanet could do for events and puzzles later on. At first I was unhappy with the abysmally low drop-rates for the Halloween skins but I ended up getting two Greatsaw skins so that shut up my whining pretty quickly

FYI: There's a beta FoV switch that Arenanet's been letting players try out. It still needs some work but it is a lot better than the default claustrophobic FOV that GW2 currently uses. Details are over here:

FoV Beta

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 14:22 Muscular Beaver

Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 11:12:
I liked the Halloween event, though I didn't partake in much of it. Tried the whole "Thorn's minions vs villagers" thing once, and I spent ten minutes just running around a (seemingly) empty maze, and got terribly bored of it. I'm sure the guys who got to hunt the villagers had more fun, but in general people don't really like playing a fucking rabbit. (or at least I don't.)

And I suck at the jumping puzzles, so I skipped the clocktower thing after seeing a video. That would have given me an aneurysm for sure.

But the mad king mini-dungeon was cool, and the scavenger hunt was pretty fun too. All in all, for something they released absolutely for free, it was awesome.

2 characters at 80 now! Woot!

Creston

What I found was that the classes are so massively different from each other, that they either make or brake your experience. My Elementalist was kinda stressing and after reaching level 80, I really did not want to continue. But then I made an engineer and had more fun than ever. My Mesmer is also really nice, after I understood how it works. I tried a warrior and deleted him at level 15 because he was simply too boring.
It is really hard to find the right trait spec. Everything needs different stuff if you want to be really good at it. sPvP, WvW, WvWvW, dungeons, solo PvE, group PvE, group of mobs, etc, etc, etc. Not only different traits, but also different abilities, different gear and different weapons.

Everyone says something different too, if you try to find help on the net. I like this, but I understand that on the start (and I mean the first 2 months) this can be frustrating. WoW vanilla wasnt much different though, just not that massive gameplay-wise.

I love this game, and I actually like that it doesnt have a subscription. With WoW I spend every second I could spare in it, because I felt like I was in some kind of race. But here, I sometimes dont play it for days, but I dont feel the fun declining at all. Actually its getting better and better each time I play, because there is still some much to explore and grasp.

The only thing I dont really like is the lack of zones. I could use much more zones. Especially level 80 zones. I hope they will fix that with their monthly events.
Bug fixing could go a little faster too, but I never have been angry at anything in this game, like I was in WoW from day one. My keyboard didnt have to feel my fist even once yet.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 14:13 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 13:53 Acleacius

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 10:54:
Dyes have a color preview.
I dont really know what the problem is. If youre close to level 80, you have seen most armor looks anyway. Theres not much choice. If you liked your old armor so much, why didnt you keep it? You can even use transformed items to transfer their looks to the next one. Paying a few silver really isnt an issue at level 78. Honestly, I dont like the looks of most high level items, so I need to transform them in any case.
But generally, I agree that tehre should be a preview, I just dont understand how this keeps you from playing.
Dyes are multispectruim, there is absolutely no way to know what they will look like with small solid color popup. Maybe I wasn't clear, I did keep my original unless I got a better drop or lucky, blind buying. It has nothing to do with paying a few silver, as I mentioned it's about being forced to spend 15g blind. Transmutation stones are common if you do map completes. It's about being forced to blind buy and if something isn't right we are forced to sell it back.

Sure I've seen lots of armor, but there are about 10 different armors every 10 levels for every class. However unless this has been patched, we can't Inspect other players armor, iirc.

The reason I'm not playing is because if I start another toon the same thing will happen. It's ridiculous now for more than 2 months and we can't Preview Armor, Dyes or Weapons before spending 90% of our gold at the TP. It won't be any better the second toon, in fact it would be worst. As a level 80 you can make more gold, than a lowbie toon, not to mention the limited inventory space. Which is much worst at the lower the level for trash, but needed gold.

They already put us through hell the first month, with the TP being down most of the first two weeks. The content will be there, no reason to keep being tortured while the game is still broken. You do realize the Preview works everywhere else including every merchant. Well unless something changed since I've played. We don't spend 90% of our loot everywhere else, just the TP.

@ Fion, thanks for the tip, GTK. The first month was pretty barren, glad sites are starting to popup.

@ OpticNerve, thanks for the linkage.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 13:38 OpticNerve

Armorwise, http://www.gw2armor.com can be useful if you're hunting down or want a preview of what certain armor looks like.  

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 3, 2012, 12:02 Fion

Acleacius, there are a variety of websites dedicated to showing what gear looks like. So when you find something tantalizing on the market, you can go on GW2db or GW2wiki and find examples of the items. Theres even a website (I found it by searching 'GW2 dye list) that has all the dyes and what they look like on various pieces of armor.

So yes, having a preview option on the tp would be nice, so would a way to put the preview character in an active stance so you can better see small weapons. But there are tuns of ways on the web to see every single piece of armor or weapon in the game.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo