Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Wired.com - Disney Buyout Could Be Death Blow for Lucas Videogames.
Star Wars 1313 may determine its own fate. Sometime in a short while from now, the following will almost certainly happen: Like Darth Vader arriving on the Death Star, Disney executives will visit LucasArts and get a full rundown of the studio’s activities. Its sharpest gaming guys will pick over 1313 and get a sense of whether it’s a project worth proceeding with, or another boondoggle.

If 1313 looks like something really special, perhaps Bob Iger will bend on his “licensing rather than publishing” strategy and it will come to fruition as planned.

If not, LucasArts may not be long for this world.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 13:57 Optional Nickname!

It's time for a new 'Wars in the Stars' IP. The old one is dead.

All we need, and really think about this, are memorable sound effects to go with the yet-to-be created units.

'Star Wars' as we knew it boils down to sound effects and music. The rest is derivative dreck and what wasn't, was fan made.

Keep your Light Sabres and Millenium Falcon and MitiChlorine. Instead give us Quantum Rapiers, the Epoch Hawk and Space Sorcery, all scored to Holst, Mahler and Beethoven...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 13:54 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 13:52:
And she's back on the market!

That she is. Hungry for new experiences, open to new possibilities, years of pent up frustration needing.......sorry what was the topic again? Star trek or something?

18. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 13:52 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 13:50:
Ratty wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 13:42:
It's so amazing the complete lack of shock and horror you'd expect from such a major beloved franchise begin taken over by Disney. Telling, isn't it? Disney could hardly do worse than old George did himself.

Its like finding out a couple you know are getting divorced after years and years of a bitter marriage. Shocking at first then logical afterwards.

And she's back on the market!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 13:50 NegaDeath

Ratty wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 13:42:
It's so amazing the complete lack of shock and horror you'd expect from such a major beloved franchise begin taken over by Disney. Telling, isn't it? Disney could hardly do worse than old George did himself.

Its like finding out a couple you know are getting divorced after years and years of a bitter marriage. Shocking at first then logical afterwards.

16. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 13:42 Ratty

15. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 13:34 Ozmodan

Actually that could be a good thing, LA destroyed SWG and certainly was not much good with SWTOR either.

Basically they were a clueless studio when it came to multiplayer and since that is where everything is headed, good ridence!

14. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 13:33 theyarecomingforyou

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 13:26:
Tie Fighter 2, fuck the next 3 movies, fuck everything else. Tie Fighter 2, thats it, thats all i want.
This. A thousand times this.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

13. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 13:26 dj LiTh

Tie Fighter 2, fuck the next 3 movies, fuck everything else. Tie Fighter 2, thats it, thats all i want.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 13:11 Beamer

Rigs wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 12:48:
I'd really like to be a fly on Larry Holland's wall right now, to be honest.

=-Rigs-=

Larry's post-SW resume:
2002 - Star Trek: Bridge Commander
2003 - Secret Weapons Over Normandy
2005 - Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters
2006 - Special project for DARPA
2007 - Alien Syndrome
2009 - Cisco Mindshare
2010 - GoldWalker for the iPhone

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 12:49 BobBob

The only good Star Wars were Jedi Knight 2 Outcast and Academy. Force grip, choke, push, pull, etc. Tossing people through glass and over ledges was just too much fun. Too bad they haven't worked on the Jedi Knight series further. It was amazing what they were able to do with the Quake 3 engine.

Being able to run servers and create clans was very fun. Sadly a lot of games seem to be going toward closed, rip-off ranked servers, or peer to peer. I really miss the good old days of sneaking around work, tossing some binaries on any machine running Linux (often running in a server room or office somewhere), setting up a game server, and just letting it run in the background 24/7. Ah, the memories ...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 12:48 Rigs

I'd really like to be a fly on Larry Holland's wall right now, to be honest. All the great sims that came out of LA had his mark on them. Even when he wasn't there, Star Trek's Bridge Commander still has a massive modding scene all these years later (just go to Bridge Commander Central (BCC) to see).

*Closes eyes and tries to contact through The Force*

Sadly, it seems his Force Chat isn't online right now so I can't ask him myself...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 12:18 Kajetan

And nothing of value would be lost.  

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 12:16 theyarecomingforyou

LucasArts has been a zombie-studio for a long time. It has only remained solvent by produced dumbed-down, casual nonsense like The Force Unleashed - even then it hasn't really been successful.

That said, Star Wars 1313 looked quite promising.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 11:57 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 11:46:
It might be the best thing to do. Even the X-wing/TIE series and Jedi Knight 2 were developed externally so there's hope if they switch to a licensing model. Its well known most of the talent has moved on at this point anyways. I'll withhold final judgement until 1313 is out.

It's amazing the difference a week makes. Had someone said last week "the way to save SW is to give it away" my response would have been "that'll NEVER happen." And here we are...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 11:55 Smellfinger

It's about time someone puts the old horse out of its misery.  

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 11:53 Creston

We haven't had a good game come out of Lucas' game studio in forever, so if it goes the way of the dodo... :-shrug-:

Creston

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 11:46 NegaDeath

It might be the best thing to do. Even the X-wing/TIE series and Jedi Knight 2 were developed externally so there's hope if they switch to a licensing model. Its well known most of the talent has moved on at this point anyways. I'll withhold final judgement until 1313 is out.  

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 11:43 Parallax Abstraction

Chris Kohler never seems happier than when he's writing doom and gloom about any non-mobile part of the industry and fellating Apple at the same time but sadly, I think he's right here. LucasArts seems to have been a badly managed nightmare the last few years and every attempt Disney's made at AAA development has flopped hard so I don't see them wanting to keep LucasArts doing that beyond 1313. And unless they seem certain that can bring in big money, they might find it makes more sense to just cancel it at the point it's at or hand it off to another developer. What I saw looked neat, I hope it can get finished. I do fear seeing previously great Star Wars titles reborn as iOS microtransaction skinner boxes though.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 11:39 InBlack

LucasArts gaming division deserves to die.

Licencing some of their IP's is definitely the way to go, and isnt that what George has been doing for the past few years anyway?

I would like to know some figures though, how much would a Tie Fighter II licence cost for example??

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 11:29 Keith

I suppose if any of LA's last few games had been worth a damn and sold to anyone other than fervent Star Wars fans LA would be able to demonstrate profitability. I don't know if Mr. Iger has some sort of personal vendetta against publishing, but I do know that successful businessmen go where the money leads them.
Considering their track record, do you really think 1313 is the product that is going to make or break LA?
In any event, anyone other than Lucas holding the rights to Star Wars is a good thing. Can anyone make a worse trilogy than Episodes 1-3? Can any character be worse than Jar Jar Binks? I think not. See you George!

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo