Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Wired.com - Disney Buyout Could Be Death Blow for Lucas Videogames.
Star Wars 1313 may determine its own fate. Sometime in a short while from now, the following will almost certainly happen: Like Darth Vader arriving on the Death Star, Disney executives will visit LucasArts and get a full rundown of the studio’s activities. Its sharpest gaming guys will pick over 1313 and get a sense of whether it’s a project worth proceeding with, or another boondoggle.

If 1313 looks like something really special, perhaps Bob Iger will bend on his “licensing rather than publishing” strategy and it will come to fruition as planned.

If not, LucasArts may not be long for this world.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: TIE Fighter 2 Nov 3, 2012, 17:15 Ant

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 13:33:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 13:26:
Tie Fighter 2, fuck the next 3 movies, fuck everything else. Tie Fighter 2, thats it, thats all i want.
This. A thousand times this.
I agree, but it might sucks. That's the problem.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re SW Games Nov 3, 2012, 17:12 Ant

bjack wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 18:32:
BobBob wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 12:49:
The only good Star Wars were Jedi Knight 2 Outcast and Academy. Force grip, choke, push, pull, etc. Tossing people through glass and over ledges was just too much fun. Too bad they haven't worked on the Jedi Knight series further. It was amazing what they were able to do with the Quake 3 engine.

Amen brother.
What about TIE Fighter, X-Wing, X-Wing Alliance, original Jedi Knight, Dark Forces, etc.? Those were good too!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

38. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2012, 12:41 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 05:47:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 04:45:
Hear, hear. This. Or, at the very least, XWing and Tie Fighter special editions? Would that be so hard? I'll even take Rebel Alliance.

I believe you mean X-Wing Alliance?

=-Rigs-=

Er, yes, X-Wing Alliance. Embarassed

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

37. Re: Op Ed Nov 3, 2012, 12:22 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 18:22:
Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 18:02:
Have you seen Brave? Fucking awful.
Better than Cars.

What was wrong with Cars?

Creston

36. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2012, 05:47 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 04:45:
Tie Fighter 2, fuck the next 3 movies, fuck everything else. Tie Fighter 2, thats it, thats all i want.

Hear, hear. This. Or, at the very least, XWing and Tie Fighter special editions? Would that be so hard? I'll even take Rebel Alliance.

I believe you mean X-Wing Alliance?

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

35. Re: Op Ed Nov 3, 2012, 04:45 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

34. removed Nov 2, 2012, 20:04 dj LiTh

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 3, 2012, 12:12.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 18:50 Ratty

Keith wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 18:35:
It should be noted that George stated he won't make any more any more Star Wars films. So, if nothing else, we will get to see more. And as a product of the Star Wars-era, almost anything is better than nothing. He is reportedly a bit of a tightwad over the extended universe, too, keeping the reins close on what can be done and how. I fully respect canon, but can also appreciate a little artistic license. I want to see some super-star destroyers ripping an alliance fleet to pieces while swarms of fighters pour around the battlefield, blowing ships and esape capsules out of the proverbial sky.
While I agree that I haven't thought any recent SW games were worth a damn and they don't seem to be commercially successful, it is stil the Star Wars universe. Any reasonably competent nit-wit should be able to make a SW game that sells well because it is fun and has super-star destroyers. Or AT-ATs. Or both. And as we all know, SW has proven to be a cash cow. Therefore, someone will figure it out and we will see a new SW game. So says Nostradamus.
Edit: URL to NY Times article about George not making any more SW films was too long. Going to have to find it yourself.
I just read an interview with Mark Hamill yesterday (might even have been a Blues News article) where he said he and Carrie Fisher had lunch with George a year ago where he told them he was going to make the next three Star Wars movies, or at least his studio was going to do it under the direction of the Katherine woman who is in charge. So his studio was making plans to do them at least as recently as a year ago.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 18:35 Keith

It should be noted that George stated he won't make any more any more Star Wars films. So, if nothing else, we will get to see more. And as a product of the Star Wars-era, almost anything is better than nothing. He is reportedly a bit of a tightwad over the extended universe, too, keeping the reins close on what can be done and how. I fully respect canon, but can also appreciate a little artistic license. I want to see some super-star destroyers ripping an alliance fleet to pieces while swarms of fighters pour around the battlefield, blowing ships and esape capsules out of the proverbial sky.
While I agree that I haven't thought any recent SW games were worth a damn and they don't seem to be commercially successful, it is stil the Star Wars universe. Any reasonably competent nit-wit should be able to make a SW game that sells well because it is fun and has super-star destroyers. Or AT-ATs. Or both. And as we all know, SW has proven to be a cash cow. Therefore, someone will figure it out and we will see a new SW game. So says Nostradamus.
Edit: URL to NY Times article about George not making any more SW films was too long. Going to have to find it yourself.

31. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 18:32 bjack

BobBob wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 12:49:
The only good Star Wars were Jedi Knight 2 Outcast and Academy. Force grip, choke, push, pull, etc. Tossing people through glass and over ledges was just too much fun. Too bad they haven't worked on the Jedi Knight series further. It was amazing what they were able to do with the Quake 3 engine.

Amen brother.

30. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 18:22 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 18:02:
Better than Cars.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 18:02 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

28. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 17:03 Jivaro

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 16:43:
Draugr wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 16:24:
And what has made star wars hot over the last decade? everything involving episode 1-3/clone wars, os if those are your jam then I don't see any reason why you'll be disappointed with whats to follow. Just like when George lucas was running the show, I'm not expecting too much. I don't really see it as good news or bad news.

To flip that argument though Disney also successfully resurrected the dead Muppets franchise. Not to mention Disney rebuilding its own image via Pixar and other smart talent acquisitions. New external management could be just what Lucasarts needed.

Naturally all this speculation is waaay too early as the deal only went down recently.

But he does have a valid point, I mean if Lucasfilm were to continue business as usual then we would definitely continue to see the divide we have currently: Young people that find Star Wars to be cool but can't understand why their parents thought it was so incredibly awesome. Meanwhile the older folks, generally speaking, don't like anything after Return of Jedi other then some novels and video games, and even likable forms of those have been getting sparce.

My point was meant to emphasize that I doubt seriously Disney is going to make it worse since that really hasn't been their track record so far, and that having some new eyes and some new energy might actually help things along without having to reinvent the wheel, particularly when you have the resources that Lucasfilm and Disney have.

27. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 16:43 NegaDeath

Draugr wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 16:24:
And what has made star wars hot over the last decade? everything involving episode 1-3/clone wars, os if those are your jam then I don't see any reason why you'll be disappointed with whats to follow. Just like when George lucas was running the show, I'm not expecting too much. I don't really see it as good news or bad news.

To flip that argument though Disney also successfully resurrected the dead Muppets franchise. Not to mention Disney rebuilding its own image via Pixar and other smart talent acquisitions. New external management could be just what Lucasarts needed.

Naturally all this speculation is waaay too early as the deal only went down recently.

26. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 16:24 Draugr

Jivaro wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 16:06:
[and then letting them continue doing whatever it is that is making them hot...except now with access to even more resources.

25. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 16:23 Draugr

-fail double post-  

24. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 16:06 Jivaro

Beamer wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 14:02:
Ratty wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 13:42:
It's so amazing the complete lack of shock and horror you'd expect from such a major beloved franchise begin taken over by Disney. Telling, isn't it? Disney could hardly do worse than old George did himself.

Disney's done well with Marvel, The Muppets and Pixar thus far, so the track record of the current management is pretty solid for situations such as this.

Yeah I don't get the whole doom and gloom projections either. (although some of the gifs/jpegs on the internet are funny) If this was 1985 maybe, but Disney isn't the same company it was back then. Over the last decade they have made the smart move of buying the hot commodities...and then letting them continue doing whatever it is that is making them hot...except now with access to even more resources.

As for gaming, I am choosing to take the perspective of "it can't get worse". I mean seriously...it can't. They could close LucasArts game studios and honestly, that might be for the better. If they did, they would just license out the games to third party teams, and quite frankly, maybe they should.

23. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 15:26 StingingVelvet

I don't really give a shit about LA doing anything else, what I care about is getting their entire catalog released on GOG. With source code, if possible.

Somehow I doubt Disney will do that either. They'll likely pack it all up and say fuck it.

22. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 15:10 Cutter

LucasArts? I seem to recall them. Made a bunch of great games back in the 90s and then they just sort of disappeared.  

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

21. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 14:02 Beamer

Ratty wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 13:42:
It's so amazing the complete lack of shock and horror you'd expect from such a major beloved franchise begin taken over by Disney. Telling, isn't it? Disney could hardly do worse than old George did himself.

Disney's done well with Marvel, The Muppets and Pixar thus far, so the track record of the current management is pretty solid for situations such as this.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo